Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Nearly 20lbs in three weeks?! :eek:

That's pretty amazing going. Do you stick solely to the SW plan? (Free foods, syns, etc?).

I find I do a mix of the SW plan (foods they promote) and basic calorie counting (ie; i don't count syns, and I don't eat an unlimited amount of free foods). So far so good but I can feel it's gonna slow down a bit from here on in..

Most days I have only free foods e.g. fruit salad for breakfast, salda for lunch and then potatos with cottage cheese for dinner. rarely I use my syns as I'm filled up and happy already with the free food or healty extras. I think the slow down will come for me too but I will start to exercise to avoid this.

As I wrote before its still a long long way for me :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 loseit

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Wasn't easy guys, walk 10km in the am, swim 36 lengths of my pool every evening as well as a 5km walk at night. Eat loads of fruit and drink 3 litres of water every day in between a really healthy breakfast, lunch (soup, salad, eggs, beans etc), and healthy dinner , fish and lean meat no oil, butter and plenty of veg and potatoes.
    Don't eat any bread, oils, sauces, butter, cheese,
    I use Small amounts of skimmed milk. Dont eat take aways, fried food, chips, fizzy drinks, sugar food. All healthy food.
    I actually have 10.5 stone lost in total as i had two stone lost before joining slimming world.

WOW well done, so impressed

I started back last Friday, last time I was there was Aug 2012 - Feb 2013. I lost and put back on the same 12 pounds in the time. so I left. No point if I was finding excuses. So determined this time - let see how I do this Friday. Doing it online not at classes.
    Weight in last Friday May 30th was 12 stone 5 pounds and I am only 5ft.

Dinner tonight was chicken and stir fry veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

I am struggling to get back in track, was on 2 weeks holidays and put on 5lbs which I am fine with as it was holidays and I worked so hard for months before to finally be able to wear a bikini! But, being totally off plan for 2 weeks and now not having the bikini goal I am finding it so hard to find any willpower/motivation. I was down 1 last night which I was very surprised at as I had a very bad week last week but I guess it was better than the holidays were.
    I guess I'll take some motivation from all of your great losses!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

PennyWren wrote: »
    I am struggling to get back in track, was on 2 weeks holidays and put on 5lbs which I am fine with as it was holidays and I worked so hard for months before to finally be able to wear a bikini! But, being totally off plan for 2 weeks and now not having the bikini goal I am finding it so hard to find any willpower/motivation. I was down 1 last night which I was very surprised at as I had a very bad week last week but I guess it was better than the holidays were.
    I guess I'll take some motivation from all of your great losses!
    If you work well to goals find a new one.

I usually have mini goals set for myself, eg half stone by a certain party or birthday. My current goal is up in two weeks (weekend away) and for the first time I have gotten to goal weight already but my next goal then is my birthday in July.

If you don't have any big night out planned, make one. Organise a night out with the girls where you will have to get dressed up.

Some people don't like feeling under pressure to lose weight by a certain date but it helps keep me focused. Just as long as I keep the goal realistic.

Wasn't easy guys, walk 10km in the am, swim 36 lengths of my pool every evening as well as a 5km walk at night. Eat loads of fruit and drink 3 litres of water every day in between a really healthy breakfast, lunch (soup, salad, eggs, beans etc), and healthy dinner , fish and lean meat no oil, butter and plenty of veg and potatoes.
    Don't eat any bread, oils, sauces, butter, cheese,
    I use Small amounts of skimmed milk. Dont eat take aways, fried food, chips, fizzy drinks, sugar food. All healthy food.
    I actually have 10.5 stone lost in total as i had two stone lost before joining slimming world.

Can I ask what your starting weight and current weight are, if you don't mind?

It's just, on one hand, 9.5lbs off in a week seems madly excessive and something that'd only be possible if you're at a very, very heavy weight (no offence or anything).

On the other hand, that cardio routine seems extremely... well.. extreme.

I weighed in last night at 17st 2lbs, knocking off 4lbs. My (original) starting weight was 18st 11lbs.

So what I'm thinking is, would I be able to speed the process up a tad by adapting to a more cardio-heavy routine (hence my interest in your post/s).

Certainly food for thought... (ba dum, tish! :P )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

It's just, on one hand, 9.5lbs off in a week seems madly excessive and something that'd only be possible if you're at a very, very heavy weight (no offence or anything).

I weighed in last night at 17st 2lbs, knocking off 4lbs. My (original) starting weight was 18st 11lbs.

So what I'm thinking is, would I be able to speed the process up a tad by adapting to a more cardio-heavy routine (hence my interest in your post/s).

Starting weight was 23.5 stone, current weight is 15 stone. One stone left to target weight.

Starting weight was 23.5 stone, current weight is 15 stone. One stone left to target weight.

That's great going. Do your legs not be killing you from all the walking?! :eek:

I'm at 17st 2lbs (well, probably more at the moment, bad day today), and my target is also 14st. I really must try a lot harder with regards to exercise from here on in. See if it works for me.

Congrats on your excellent work so far, man. Amazing going.

If I lose any less than 9.5lbs next week, though, I'm comin' to get ya! :mad:

:D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Speed it up by sticking to the plan , and not going rogue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dtrb

Hi Everyone,

I've recently just joined Slimming World and I'm struggling at it. At my first weigh in, I was 12,2.5 and after the first week, I put on 0.5lbs. For some reason, I just can't seem to get it right. I'm due to weigh in tomorrow, and I can feel myself heavier from starting the program.

Does anyone have any tips? I just can't get my head around the sheer volume of food I'm being advised to eat. I'm walking and doing exercise at home too.

Go raibh míle maith agaibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There's already a slimming world thread so maybe try posting in that.

Are you having your 1/3 super free at each meal? Are you measuring your healthy a and b's everyday and counting your syns properly?

What's your typical day of what you eat and we might be able to help.

• Advertisement

Speed it up by sticking to the plan , and not going rogue ;)

I don't live by anyone else's rules. I'm such a maverick, i don't even live by my own rules! :p

Haha. ah no, i understand the SW plan and what it aims to do by promoting certain foods, etc. but i do think calorie counting is sensible, too.

I've had a bad 2-3 days though. I'd say i gained weight. Gonna pound the pavement a fair bit to make up for it before tuesday (I weigh in on a tuesday). Hopefully that'll help make up for it... a bit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

dobbs2010 - that is an amazing achievement. I cannot believe you lost so much weight in 7-8 months. There are very few people who could stick to a routine as strict as that but what is 8 months in the scheme of things? :cool:

I'm not overly familiar with the SW concept but seems like it has had great results for people who follow it. Personally, I found it easier to avoid previous bad habits as a bad day lead me back down the same old path. Everybody's different though.

The weekly group weigh-in is a great incentive to continue and hopefully encourages people to continue doing the right thing when they reach their goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stephcie

Hi all just joined SW this week have to say the fact bread and pasta etc are free foods really threw me - but am looking forward to testing it out. I was just wondering does anyone have any ideas of how much syns are in Sesame Sticks and also just a tub of curry sauce from a Chinese? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭LittleMissDiva

Hello stephcie,

cant help you with the syns for the sticks and the curry tub. But I'm surprised that the bread is free with your SW like the pasta. Bread counts in my plan as helathy extra and is not free like the pasta or rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

stephcie wrote: »
    Hi all just joined SW this week have to say the fact bread and pasta etc are free foods really threw me - but am looking forward to testing it out. I was just wondering does anyone have any ideas of how much syns are in Sesame Sticks and also just a tub of curry sauce from a Chinese? Thanks :)

Bread is not free. It is used as your healthy b so you only have allowance of bread and anything over that has to be synned so be be very careful with your bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 stephcie

andreac wrote: »
    Bread is not free. It is used as your healthy b so you only have allowance of bread and anything over that has to be synned so be be very careful with your bread.

Sorry a typo on my part I meant rice and pasta - thankfully haven't made the mistake of thinking bread was free!

I have to say am loving this plan - so glad it is not just another ww - I was looking for a different approach and while parts of it surprise me - it is going well - weigh in not until Thursday looking forward to seeing how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Joined yesterday online. Looking forward to following this thread as I don't have a group.

Have 3 stone to lose :o and a dodgy hip which means light exercise only. In the past I'd lose weight by exercising lots and eating a bit less but lack of exercise had made me pile it on which in turn has made the hip worse.

People on here seem to be doing great with this so hoping I can have a bit of success myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Week one 10 pounds down, my week two weigh in is tomorrow. I hope its a lot less and keeps that way for many weeks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Looks like you need to sit through the new members talk again and have a chat with your leader. Make sure you read your book from cover to cover to help understand the plan.

It can be very confusing to begin with so don't feel shy in asking questions in group and ask for things to be explained again. Most leaders are very easy to approach and you are paying them to teach you the plan.

The best bit of advice I can give you as a new member is to stay to group, don't weigh and go. It's where you will get the support of other members, learn new recipes, and most importantly have a laugh along your journey.

(crikey it sounds like I have been brainwashed by SW!)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

-3lbs down last night...thats 8 in total....only 11 to go :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

I joined my local SW last Thursday weighing in at 13st 2lbs and my interim goal is to get to 11 st. I've been very disciplined this week, sticking to mainly free foods and only allowing myself one syn a day. I've also started to exercise, I've been walking a minimum of 2 miles per day. I've been using the 'Map my Walk' app and I like that it gives me split times for miles and tells me how many calories I've burned (it all helps with motivation). I weighed myself this morning and already I've lost 5lbs, hoping to have 7lbs off before my SW weigh in. Reading this forum has given me great encouragement over the last few days. Keep up the good work everyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

I joined my local SW last Thursday weighing in at 13st 2lbs and my interim goal is to get to 11 st. I've been very disciplined this week, sticking to mainly free foods and only allowing myself one syn a day. I've also started to exercise, I've been walking a minimum of 2 miles per day. I've been using the 'Map my Walk' app and I like that it gives me split times for miles and tells me how many calories I've burned (it all helps with motivation). I weighed myself this morning and already I've lost 5lbs, hoping to have 7lbs off before my SW weigh in. Reading this forum has given me great encouragement over the last few days. Keep up the good work everyone!!

Wow well done on your loss to date...It really is a good plan! My leader told me once to use at least 5 syns a day..just for the pure fact that if you give yourself a little of what you fancy every day you're more likely to stick at it long term! The best part about it is the flexibility and the syn allowance :) Dont be afraid to use them! It still works!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

Was on holidays last week so wasnt at slimming world weigh in now tomorrow am dreading it, have been extra good since I came back but will just go and deal with it and start all over on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Down another 4 this week so that's a stone in two weeks. That's too fast for me and fingers crossed i settle at losing 2 pounds/1kg a week going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Down another 4 this week so that's a stone in two weeks. That's too fast for me and fingers crossed i settle at losing 2 pounds/1kg a week going forward

Well done! take it while you can, I'd be over the moon with that in my first 2 weeks. A lot of it is probably water weight.

Haha, I was down 10lbs week 1 and 4lbs week 2, too :)

This week I was down 1.5lbs, so you've to beat that for next week :P

(Should probably point out that i had bags of chips, chicken fillet burgers, cake, etc. last week, so would/should have been better than 1.5, but i had two birthdays, one of which was my own, so i wasn't letting SW take that from me :P )

Fingers crossed for you Claude :)

Great work, keep it up (that's directed that everyone!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Trancechick

Well done you........... That's amazing!! You must be really chuffed with yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Down 4 pounds this week, got my 9 stone award. Absolutely trilled, over the moon. This week was a huge personal effort to get that 4 pounds off and get my 9 stone award. Also the small matter of reaching my target was also achieved. Delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

- 6 yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I've decided to take a break from slimming world for awhile and go back to diet chef for a couple of months. I don't really have the time for cooking from scratch at the moment, and my will power is at an all time low so I've really been taking the p with the free foods. Going to get back down to target on diet chef and then hopefully use slimming world to maintain, as maintenance obviously didn't go too well last time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement