Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Horizon Launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

viperkevin wrote: »
    Is anybody getting more than 5-8MBs on Wifi? We have the 200MB package and struggle to get anywhere near that, however through Ethernet we get about 25MBs.

Considering getting a wifi-extender with that rubbish speeds.
    MegaBytes or Megabits? 25 MegaBytes is 200 Megabits, and you won't get much more than 8 MegaBytes/sec over WiFi unless conditions are perfect

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

viperkevin wrote: »
    Is anybody getting more than 5-8MBs on Wifi? We have the 200MB package and struggle to get anywhere near that, however through Ethernet we get about 25MBs.

Considering getting a wifi-extender with that rubbish speeds.

MB or Mb?

If you're not getting 8Mbit over wifi you've got serious trouble.

8MB (64Mbit) is pushing normal wifi to its limits realistically. If you're only using Wifi you do not, ever, need to be on the 200Mbit package. Wifi cannot deliver that in normal circumstances end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niall2701

Before I sent my horizon back to upc ( terrible interface) I never got above 9mg on a 200mg package. With my current modem I get 96mg when plugged directly into laptop and 48mg on Wi-Fi. I think I'll never get above 48mg wi-fi due to network card in laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

With a 3rd party router (and iPad Air) which support 5GHz and MIMO, I generally get about 70Mbps on Wifi on a 100Mbps package. With the Horizon router and/or older devices I wasn't getting anything near that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What router is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

beauf wrote: »
    What router is it?

If you were asking me, it's this one, a TP Link N750. Simultaneous 2.4GHz (for older devices / better range) and 5GHz (for best speed with newer devices).

There is the newer AC1750 but since I don't have any ac Wifi devices yet and probably won't for a while, the N750 works very well for me.

Looks good. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Just wondering if the Horizon box works well with the Apple TV? I have heard some negative stuff. The atv2 is the main thing I watch so any issues and it's a no go for me.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Ranchu wrote: »
    Just wondering if the Horizon box works well with the Apple TV? I have heard some negative stuff. The atv2 is the main thing I watch so any issues and it's a no go for me.

Thanks.

Can't vouch for ATV but I have a WDTV Live and a Raspberry PI boxes working on my Horizon set up with no problems and connecting to my NAS.. I use LAN connections and not wifi for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Ranchu wrote: »

Thanks.

I have ATV2 , but its wired to it . Havent tried it wireless . Will do it over the weekend and let you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Apple TV works fine wirelessly and wired with the horizon box. Airplay like Ipad mirroring etc also works fine both with the Apple Tv connected via wire or wireless.

You may have issues if connecting wirelessly if the Apple TV is in another room a good bit away from the box but then again, streaming video over wireless should be a last option in general, homeplugs are now relatively inexpensive and give much more stable video throughput.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Balinov

Hi Folks, living in Portmarnock area and thinking to upgrade to Horizon as 4th Ciscso HD DVR box died in about 1 year already and honestly I'm sick of it.

Can this move be a recommended move? I was following this thread for a while, seen a huge number of issues/complaints, so that wasn't convincing at all to upgrade, but what's the story now?

Is Horizon reliable? is the FW stable enough? What about the WIFI performance with the latest fw, also the lan capabilities?

My current setup is an LG LM640T smarttv, 1x NAS both conneded via GB LAN, 2-3 G/N enabled notebook, 2 android phone (SGSIII and One M7) and a 2012 N7 tablet + a desktop PC.

I recall people were complaining about the wifi performance, is it possible to use the "old" CISCO EPC3295 GW as an AP or that won't work with the Samsung box?

Thanks to shed some light on these

The horizon box's isn't any better in terms of usability its probably worst all things considered. HD channels are good and the 4 channel recording is great when it works. Lan connections are fine but none of UPC gear gives a decent wifi speed or range IMO. You need to plan to buy a decent router yourself.

Thus far its a bit underwhelming for me. If I was doing it over I'd keep the BB and get a combi free box.

The horizon box's isn't any better in terms of usability its probably worst all things considered. HD channels are good and the 4 channel recording is great when it works. Lan connections are fine but none of UPC gives a decent wifi speed or range IMO. You need to plan to buy a decent router yourself.

Thus far its a bit underwhelming for me.

thanks beauf, so if I get it right bridge mode is possible to use this with a proper router?

AFAIK its not true bridge mode. UPC have blocked that. But you can use another router. There other threads in boards that explain this better than I could.

48720023.jpg

Well there were two separate questions....
    Balinov wrote: »
    ...is it possible to use the "old" CISCO EPC3295 GW as an AP or that won't work with the Samsung box?...
    Balinov wrote: »
    thanks beauf, so if I get it right bridge mode is possible to use this with a proper router?

I never had a EPC3295 but Balinov does and AFAIK you could enable bridging on that.

But you can't on the Horizon box, or on the TC7200 if you use that with a Horizon box. There you're only option is this

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057164321/1#post89360301

I don't know how its done with a Horizon on its own...Perhaps Wabbit could elaborate on that.

Bridge mode is worlds away from addressing Balinovs query and it makes no sense just to jump into deconsolidated (using horizon + a seperate UPC modem) options right off the bat. That really should be a last option IMHO.

addressing this:
    My current setup is an LG LM640T smarttv, 1x NAS both conneded via GB LAN, 2-3 G/N enabled notebook, 2 android phone (SGSIII and One M7) and a 2012 N7 tablet + a desktop PC.

The horizon box itself has 4 gigabit LAN ports, so all your devices that require a physical connection will get the full download capabilities (assuming your PC is also gigabit, you dont say). This is very stable.

While some people have issues with the wifi, a lot of others dont, or they do but its grand, they can do everything they want including streaming from horizon.tv, netflix etc and dont care if theyre getting 10 megs or 60 megs download to their phone.

If you find horizon hasnt got the range or throughput you are looking for you can use a 3rd party access point hooked directly to one of the gigabit ports (turn off DHCP on the access point). Depending on which access point you use you can also stream using 5ghz and wireless ac (though you need a device that supports that to use it).

Having your wifi acess point directly under the telly may not be the best central location for a wifi access point so wireless extender homeplugs are a great option AMAZON LINK

So thats my advice, See how it goes.

Bridge mode is worlds away from addressing Balinovs query and it makes no sense just to jump into deconsolidated (using horizon + a seperate UPC modem) options right off the bat. That really should be a last option IMHO....

I didn't I just said wifi is poor with UPC gear and to buy your own router.

Bridging WAS Balinovs query. I referred him to better informed threads.

A regular punter doesn't ask about bridging out of the blue. So I searched and Balinovs has a comment on an old thread discussing bridging on the older EPC3295 which he has. So hes already aware of it.

A regular punter doesn't ask about bridging out of the blue. .

My Experience is the opposite, bridging is a networking buzz word the people thow out all the time just thinking its simply attaching a second router to another one when that's not what it is at all.

• Advertisement

Its good that you have an infographic immediately to hand so. Just like innuendo you'll be able to whip out as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

The apps screen has gotten a facelift, has an option to add favourites now. The you tube app has had its interface updated also.

Hi Folks, thanks for the posts. Sure I wasn't clear. I only mentioned bridge mode is that seemed to be quite straightforward solution for the possibly poor wifi reception. I live in a 2bed apt., so in worst case I'd try that AP, doesn't look that expensive.

To make the picture more clear, yes, the desktop PC has a dual GB Lan (Gbyte EP45-DSR3 mobo), but that doesn't really matter, I'm barely switching it on.

The real reason of me asking was to see if Horizon box and service from UPC is improving since it was introduced. Right now I'm waiting for the 4th replacement of the bloody Cisco HD DVR, and switching to Horizon seems to cost less per month than the current 3in1 package. I'm really worried to switch, but unlike 1yr ago I'm not plaing online FPS anymore, main use is P2P d/l, YT, web/email,flickr,etc..so if I can get a better package at the same (or even a bit lower) price I'd probably switch to horizon.

Cheers
    B

The Horror box has more features, but I don't think the speed of the interface or reliability is any better than the old box. It might even be slightly worse. I switched to it to reduce my bills, get more HD channels and 4 channel recording. So happy enough with that. I was expecting it to be a crappy UI and it is. Especially the lag and delete everything you ever recorded being too easy too press. TBH I was happy with my old 30mb speed. Could stream 1080p no problem before, so 120mb has no real effect on me. I had to use my own wifi router to get reliable wifi.

But UPC billing is a shambles. Thats been the biggest disappointment. Anyone in the wider family that changed their bill/package all have billing issues, that take weeks to resolve. If I was doing it again I'd just get the Internet from UPC, and get Saorview/Freesat in. Just to avoid the billing issues. I find using Netflix, NowTV works well enough that I don't really need any of the extra channels from UPC.

Depends on your usage of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Anyone else experiencing issues with the Horizon box where the internet drops from 120Mb/s to about 15Mb/s or less every couple of days? Rebooting the box sorts it out immediately but it's becoming a pain in my backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I had UPC horizon installed Monday. As soon as the tech left, I realised the on demand wasn't working. As well as that, the screen was freezing 2-3 times a day when in the on demand menu and the box had to be plugged out to reboot. Rang them and they sent a tech out this morning who said that the software must not have loaded properly on the box. He installed a new one and left. He was gone 20 minutes before the new box started freezing :mad: The on demand is working this time but the box has frozen and had to be restarted twice already :mad: Can anyone tell me if there is a way of fixing this? I am on the verge of ringing UPC and telling them where to stick their shoddy shìte hardware :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Hey everyone. Have this box since last year, we used to have music content on it in on demand a lot were concerts but now seem to be gone unless i should be looking at another menu, can someone please help thanks. Wish they would sort an new update and fast or else I'll be getting rid

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

er1983 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. Have this box since last year, we used to have music content on it in on demand a lot were concerts but now seem to be gone unless i should be looking at another menu, can someone please help thanks. Wish they would sort an new update and fast or else I'll be getting rid

They regularly change their content. sounds like they just removed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Currently on the 200mb broadband pack and on Sky for tv, I rang UPC to get a quote of 80 quid per month all in to upgrade to their Horizon HD TV pack with broadband & phone.

Sounded like a very good deal until the girl I was dealing with wanted a once off activation fee of nearly 100 euro.

Madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Mallagio wrote: »
    Currently on the 200mb broadband pack and on Sky for tv, I rang UPC to get a quote of 80 quid per month all in to upgrade to their Horizon HD TV pack with broadband & phone.

Sounded like a very good deal until the girl I was dealing with wanted a once off activation fee of nearly 100 euro.

Madness
    Never Heard of that, Must be something new. But what I would do is ring back, Listen
    to all the sales bull**** from them, Then when they ask for
    the E100 , tell them You want to speak to a " Customer Loyalty Representative".
    The person on the phone is normally just a call
    centre employee, But the "CLR" can do things like remove any
    added charges. If You have no look then, try telling them that
    You are thinking of switching completely to SKY, That usually
    gets their attention, Good Luck :D

Advertisement