Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeding Gift Amount

Options
  • 21-04-2014 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

So the brother is getting married and was wondering what kind of money should I be giving himself and the misses as a wedding gift?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Depends on how much you can afford.
    I'd give €200 if I was feeling flush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

fussyonion wrote: »
    Depends on how much you can afford.
    I'd give €200 if I was feeling flush.

The amount I was told by a colleague was much higher...

Like i've planned on getting him a nice bottle of whiskey and cigars for the stag...to the tune of 150...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh well I didn't realise there was a going rate.
    If you can afford more, give more. I thought €200 was decent. Maybe not.
    I've never actually been to a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

There's no set value. There couldn't be. Someone on a 6 figure salary will be giving more than someone on sub30k, it's just the way of things.
    Give whatever you're comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,493 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

From reading the thread title i would have suggested some gardening gloves and a hoe.

• Advertisement

From reading the thread title i would have suggested some gardening gloves and a hoe.

Ha ha sutpid dyslexia:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My sisters and I all gave each other a token gift for our weddings. I wouldn't take money from my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

The average guest gives €100- €200 so since its a sibling and if you can afford it then i'd push the boat a little more than that.

Apart from that offering to help with little jobs the week before the wedding will be greatly appreciated and no matter how much you give, if you show enthusiasm to help etc then you will be onto a winner..... Unless they are hungry for money :D

littlelulu wrote: »
    The average guest gives €100- €200 so since its a sibling and if you can afford it then i'd push the boat a little more than that.

Apart from that offering to help with little jobs the week before the wedding will be greatly appreciated and no matter how much you give, if you show enthusiasm to help etc then you will be onto a winner..... Unless they are hungry for money :D

They are pretty much set with regards to money i think, both have very good jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Andiewoo

My fiance's sister got married and we gave €250 as it's all we could afford at the time..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The amount I was told by a colleague was much higher...

Like i've planned on getting him a nice bottle of whiskey and cigars for the stag...to the tune of 150...

At least €200. If your good friends it'd be more, €250+. And I don't go in for this depends what you can afford lark. €100 more than likely wont even pay for your meals. If you can't afford to go don't. Or here's another thought €20 multiplied by 10months saving. If its someone you half know you'll know we'll in advance as to when their getting married giving you more than enough time to save.

Lastly as for the gift your proposing as good an all that it sounds don't bother. Ask anyone getting married what they want and if they're honest they'll say cash. Weddings cost lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Not everyone wants money to be fair, we saved for the wedding we could afford. We did get money from my brothers, 500e each, i used it to get them thank you gifts as they wouldn't take no for an answer. They were really helpful with the wedding wouldn't have come off so well without their help, which was more than enough of a gift. They were both in the process of furnishing houses so got them stuff i know they needed/wanted. You'll have an idea what they want or expect, mine did so much to help us out i nearly keeled over when they gave us money as well. Neither are loaded but they work hard and we've always looked out for one another. Give what you can, help is the best gift, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

My sis got married a couple of weeks ago and I bought her some stuff that they wanted for the house - could only get it in the states so had to search for it. I also did a lot of work helping them organise the wedding. The pair of them told me off for buying them anything at all - all the work I had done was more than enough. Everyone is different!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I saw the thread title abd thought of 5L of Roundup for €50. Can't go wrong there.

Give what you can afford. He won't think bad if you, if you give nothing at all. Weddings are expensive, and stressful. Have you to get a room and stay over, or can you get a taxi hone after? If you can't afford anything now, just stick a note in a card explaining that things are a bit tight, but you'll sort him out with something soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

gave my sister 400 but that was because my partner was a good friend of hers for years

Getting married myself soon, will i get the same back :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

The OP has never said things are tight though. Are you trying to justify giving less? if so, just give less. It all depends on what you can afford and how generous you feel like being. People usually would be a bit more generous with a sibling, even though they do loads of other jobs as well, not cos society expects you to be, but because it's your brother or sister and you'd like to be, cos you care more for them than you would for any old couple who invited you to their wedding. If you don't want to be extra generous, then don't!

I gave my sister €1,000 but cos I wanted to, not cos anyone expected me to. My siblings are all younger than me, so I won't expect to get cash from them as I know they can't afford it! I have them all doing lots of jobs though, so that's more than enough payment!

kkcatlou wrote: »
    The OP has never said things are tight though. Are you trying to justify giving less? if so, just give less. It all depends on what you can afford and how generous you feel like being. People usually would be a bit more generous with a sibling, even though they do loads of other jobs as well, not cos society expects you to be, but because it's your brother or sister and you'd like to be, cos you care more for them than you would for any old couple who invited you to their wedding. If you don't want to be extra generous, then don't!

I gave my sister €1,000 but cos I wanted to, not cos anyone expected me to. My siblings are all younger than me, so I won't expect to get cash from them as I know they can't afford it! I have them all doing lots of jobs though, so that's more than enough payment!

No things aren't tight, I opened the thread to gauge an idea of what would be expected

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

For friends, I would give 200 as a couple. If my sister gets married, I will give her double, as that's what she gave me. The way I see it, cover the cost of the meal. The rest is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Got married last year, average per couple was €150. We were delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

We got around 500 I think from one sibling and partner. They both helped lots with little jobs around the wedding as well as organising and putting money towards making the stag/hen amazing.
    We gave them a few years ago between 400 and 500 I think, it wasn't in cash, we paid towards something for their honeymoon, as they had that as their wedding registry. We got set of glasses from another sibling, and the third was still in school so was included in the "parents' gift".
    It all depends on your situation. I think 400-500 is great if you can afford it. If not, then a sentimental gift they can keep as a reminder of you and their wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

Just give what you can afford - there is no set or agreed amount.
    The last few weddings me and OH have been to we'd either spend about €250-€300 on gifts or give about €250-€300 in cash. If any of my friends had got married when I was still in college I think all I'd have been able to afford was a book voucher.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dortilolma wrote: »
    Just give what you can afford - there is no set or agreed amount.

Can it not be setup so that boards automagically posts this response whenever any "How much should...?" type thread pops up? Would save everyone a lot of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

At least €200. If your good friends it'd be more, €250+. And I don't go in for this depends what you can afford lark. €100 more than likely wont even pay for your meals. If you can't afford to go don't. Or here's another thought €20 multiplied by 10months saving. If its someone you half know you'll know we'll in advance as to when their getting married giving you more than enough time to save.

Lastly as for the gift your proposing as good an all that it sounds don't bother. Ask anyone getting married what they want and if they're honest they'll say cash. Weddings cost lots.

Wow. Just wow. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Answers like this wind me up.

You're hardly going to refuse to go to a family wedding because you can't afford to give a gift of over €200! My brother is getting married in a few months and I can't afford to buy or give them anything. So I won't be, not until I can afford it. But I'm not going to miss his wedding because of it. And I would be incredibly disappointed in him if he thought I should.

The way I look at all this is that you're inviting people as a guest to your wedding. If you were to invite people around to your house for a dinner party would you be charging an entrance fee? If someone brought a bottle of wine as a gift would you ask for the cash they spent on it instead? No, because it's rude. Am I expecting people to give me any money for my wedding? No. That's why I have a budget of what we can afford out of savings and we stick to it.

If you decide to get married, fair play. But don't invite me and expect me to pay for myself in cold hard cash. It's not my problem if you decide to go into debt because you just HAD to have organza chair covers instead of regular, or because you decided you wanted a string quartet, and a church singer, and a band and a DJ. If you can't afford to cover the whole wedding yourself then get a marriage license for €150 and get chips on the way home. You wake up the next day exactly equal to all the other married couples and you won't have lost friends because of your selfish attitude.

Answers like this wind me up.

You're hardly going to refuse to go to a family wedding because you can't afford to give a gift of over €200! My brother is getting married in a few months and I can't afford to buy or give them anything. So I won't be, not until I can afford it. But I'm not going to miss his wedding because of it. And I would be incredibly disappointed in him if he thought I should.

The way I look at all this is that you're inviting people as a guest to your wedding. If you were to invite people around to your house for a dinner party would you be charging an entrance fee? If someone brought a bottle of wine as a gift would you ask for the cash they spent on it instead? No, because it's rude. Am I expecting people to give me any money for my wedding? No. That's why I have a budget of what we can afford out of savings and we stick to it.

If you decide to get married, fair play. But don't invite me and expect me to pay for myself in cold hard cash. It's not my problem if you decide to go into debt because you just HAD to have organza chair covers instead of regular, or because you decided you wanted a string quartet, and a church singer, and a band and a DJ. If you can't afford to cover the whole wedding yourself then get a marriage license for €150 and get chips on the way home. You wake up the next day exactly equal to all the other married couples and you won't have lost friends because of your selfish attitude.

Not selfish attitude at all. More the reality of weddings and the costs involved.

Look if someone is genuinely broke and can't afford to save a fiver a week for the months in the run up the wedding to give to a friend or family member as a gift so be it. Most weddings are well in advance. A friend of mine recently got engaged but the wedding date was set 2 and a bit years away!
    In this case it's for a family member so by all means go and explain to said member you have no money if you really can't save for it.

I'm just goin on experience. These things cost money and gettin the likes of plates or something else equally pointless is just that when you are trying to make sure you pay off every last thing. And it's all well and good saying to cut back on this that and the other but that enevitably doesn't happen. Not because you want to spend a fortune but they do cost money. Not plates or whiskey or - insert pointless gift here - they cost in real life money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Not selfish attitude at all. More the reality of weddings and the costs involved.

Look if someone is genuinely broke and can't afford to save a fiver a week for the months in the run up the wedding to give to a friend or family member as a gift so be it. Most weddings are well in advance. A friend of mine recently got engaged but the wedding date was set 2 and a bit years away!
    In this case it's for a family member so by all means go and explain to said member you have no money if you really can't save for it.

I'm just goin on experience. These things cost money and gettin the likes of plates or something else equally pointless is just that when you are trying to make sure you pay off every last thing. And it's all well and good saying to cut back on this that and the other but that enevitably doesn't happen. Not because you want to spend a fortune but they do cost money. Not plates or whiskey or - insert pointless gift here - they cost in real life money.

It's an extremely selfish attitude.

Weddings aren't an enterprise whereby the couple make out better off for having it.
    You should be willing to throw your wedding at your own expense, without expecting a penny from guests. If you can't afford to pay for it yourself, you can't afford it.
    These things are gifts, not cover charges.

It costs people a lot of money to go to a wedding, especially ones that require an overnight stay. To put such a high minimum on a gift on top of that is ludicrous.

You invite people to your wedding, not their wallets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

BizzyC wrote: »

Weddings aren't an enterprise whereby the couple make out better off for having it.
    You should be willing to throw your wedding at your own expense, without expecting a penny from guests. If you can't afford to pay for it yourself, you can't afford it.

It costs people a lot of money to go to a wedding, especially ones that require an overnight stay. To put such a high minimum on a gift on top of that is ludicrous.

Will you have money to pay for drink on the night? Give them that money.

BizzyC wrote: »

While I can see where you're coming from I don't see it as reality. The cost of overnight stay isn't always the case either. The last number of weddings I've been at I could have chosen to not drink and drive home or get a cheaper b&b near the hotel.

Anyway whether you like it pr not people plan weddings on the expectation that the money they receive in gifts will pay for most or at least a good chunk of the wedding.

Personally I did save and had my wedding pretty much paid for prior to getting gifts so for us it was all gravy essentially but I hasten to reiterate that I know talking to lots of couples that gifts are very much integral to how they pay off the wedding bills.

Again I'm not selfish I'm just putting across the other side of the coin. All too often I hear just give what you can. It's the "pc" answer, I expect it and that's fine but its really not reality. And as I said before if someone genuinely can't afford it and is genuinely smashed broke and there are certain people with financial difficulties, mortgage arrears etc..then so be it but the vast majority of people will give €200+ and imo rightly so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is selfish to be expecting anything from your guests other than they turn up and have a good time.

Your party, your expense, your problem.

Just be grateful if someone is flush enough to be able to give you some cash as a gift. There is absolutely zero requirement for people to be having to hand over X amount per person for them turning up to your party. If you are expecting money from people then it is an entry fee and not a gift, and nobody's wedding is that good that you'd be wanting to pay for an entry fee.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    It is selfish to be expecting anything from your guests other than they turn up and have a good time.

Your party, your expense, your problem.

Just be grateful if someone is flush enough to be able to give you some cash as a gift. There is absolutely zero requirement for people to be having to hand over X amount per person for them turning up to your party. If you are expecting money from people then it is an entry fee and not a gift, and nobody's wedding is that good that you'd be wanting to pay for an entry fee.

I agree its not a requirement but it is an expectation. If it wasn't an expectation we wouldn't be having this conversation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement