Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 4 Episode 3 "Breaker of Chains": *HAVE* read the books

Options
  • 20-04-2014 8:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Surprised there was no thread yet so I thought I might as well start one.

Last weeks episode ended kind of abruptly in that we didn't see Sansa escaping with Dontos.

The promo seems to suggest that Sam and Gilly are leaving Castle Black with Gilly's child? That makes no sense to me..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

He's bringing her to Mole's Town because it's safer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bugger....stuck in the US on a work trip....no HBO in hotel.....I doubt an bar would show it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Blay wrote: »
    He's bringing her to Mole's Town because it's safer.

Ah, now that makes sense.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Bugger....stuck in the US on a work trip....no HBO in hotel.....I doubt an bar would show it

If you have Sky back home, would Sky Go work abroad?

But even if it did, you'd have to wait until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

That rape scene was pathetic. there's enough rape without inventing more and in the process totally destroying the development we've seen that character go through over three and a bit seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

bur wrote: »
    That rape scene was pathetic. there's enough rape without inventing more and in the process totally destroying the development we've seen that character go through over three and a bit seasons.
    I haven't seen the episode yet but I have to know, who does Jaime rape? And why?? Book Jaime wouldn't do such a thing so what the fúck are the D&D doing to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I can't remember him raping in a book? :O

celica00 wrote: »
    I can't remember him raping in a book? :O

I've done a bit of research and apparently they replaced Cersei & Jaimes "reunion" (where they ride over their dead sons corpse while she's on the blob) with a scene where Jaime rapes her over Joffs corpse. The book scene was fairly fúckin rank and by the sound of it, the tv version is pretty fúcked up too.
    I'm just confused as to why they would make Jaime a rapist when he risked his life to save Brienne from a gang rape...

I can't remember now but I didn't think she was really into it during that scene in the books either.

I've yet to see the episode though, so for all I know they probably did turn it into a proper rape.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I can't remember now but I didn't think she was really into it during that scene in the books either.

I've yet to see the episode though, so for all I know they probably did turn it into a proper rape.

Initially she wasn't up for it. A mixture of anger towards Jaime for "abandoning" her and grief for her dead son made Jaimes attempt to lob it in difficult.

By the end of their messed up riding session she was all over Jaime. Pulling at his hair, groaning and, if my memory serves me, actually saying "I've missed you brother". (or something along those lines).

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Decent episode. The rape scene was actually disturbing.... if they were trying to get the viewers back on Jaime's side that was a strange way of going about it! For once I enjoyed Dany's scene was done very well. Stannis bad ass mode beckons and I can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Stand out moment for me............Aidan Gillen débuts another new accent for Littlefinger....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I thought visually a superb episode.

I really like that wildling attack on the village, touching Father son moment then boom! fast paced brutal bloodshed. Quick and painful with a beautiful green hilled backdrop.

Tommen and Tywin in Sept as a beam of light shines on Joffery, you can feel the coldness in the room, the echo of footsteps.

Sansa's dash through KL as the sunsets on the city followed by the misty boatride through the graveyard of Stannis's fleet to D'arby O'Littlefinger.

Finally the disposal of the Meereen champion in a plume of dust

This really is simply stunning Television

One change I'd make is for a Pod/Tyrion goodbye hug :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The Master wrote: »
    Stand out moment for me............Aidan Gillen débuts another new accent for Littlefinger....

He's somehow gone full circle and turned it into a bad attempt at an Oirish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Watching it now. Sansa channelling Scottish Widows running through the streets there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A Neurotic wrote: »
    He's somehow gone full circle and turned it into a bad attempt at an Oirish accent.

The actor is Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The actor is Irish

He manages to sound bizarre in spite of it. I saw him in Calvary at the weekend, where he was doing a culchie accent that sounded insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Maybe the character is regressing to his native accent from The Fingers (he had a humble background), rather than his more cultured one he had to use when moving in King's Landing's upper circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Oranage2 wrote: »
    The actor is Irish

That's what I mean. He's Irish yet sounds like someone affecting a poor Irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mmmm...Im not sure I saw that as a rape scene, more as an angry sex scene. She was grabbing at him, then not, then seemed to be going with it....by the end she seemed like she was resigned to it but given the Cersei we know, Im sure she would have clawed his eyes out if she really didnt want it. A strange one though.

Arya and the Hound were a class act again.

Still not fully sold on the new Daario, thought the whole Meereen champion scene was a bit flat. Pissing on the ground - where was Strong Belwas to take a dump!! Id actually preferred if Ser Barristan had stepped in to fight the Meereen champion. I did like the catapulted barrels of slave chains and manacles though.

I still prefer this Daario to the old one. His beard is no blue trident but it's still something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I thought visually a superb episode.

I really like that wildling attack on the village, touching Father son moment then boom! fast paced brutal bloodshed. Quick and painful with a beautiful green hilled backdrop.

Tommen and Tywin in Sept as a beam of light shines on Joffery, you can feel the coldness in the room, the echo of footsteps.

Sansa's dash through KL as the sunsets on the city followed by the misty boatride through the graveyard of Stannis's fleet to D'arby O'Littlefinger.

Finally the disposal of the Meereen champion in a plume of dust

This really is simply stunning Television

One change I'd make is for a Pod/Tyrion goodbye hug :(
    Really? I thought some of the cinematography was really poor at times, especially at the start of the episode it looked like a bad tv movie. Littlefinger's reveal could have been better too. I think it was a bad episode with some good scenes. There's no mention in the books of Oberyn Martell being gay, Ellaria is bi but now we have to endure shoehorned in gay sex scenes that add nothing to the plot and also add a silly weakness to Oberyn that would be exploited by Tywin too?

The episode picked up after it's early failings I felt with 2 excellent exchanges between Oberyn and Tywin and Tyrion and Pod. Didn't think the Hound and Arya were great but not terrible either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Liam O wrote: »
    There's no mention in the books of Oberyn Martell being gay, Ellaria is bi but now we have to endure shoehorned in gay sex scenes that add nothing to the plot and also add a silly weakness to Oberyn that would be exploited by Tywin too?

He isnt gay, he's bi. Tyrion mentions some rumour that Oberyn beds both men and women and Jaime mentions it too at some stage - when Tywin is discussing who to wed Cersei off to.

Theres a thread on it here with the relevant quotes from the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It seemed like Jamie was raping her, I didn't like that change - maybe it makes Cersei a more sympathetic character.

So presumably Stannis is going to make a deal with the Iron Bank of Braavos now instead of later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Do people not like this episode much? I thought it was brilliant! Arya & the Hound, Sansa & Littlefinger, Tywin & Tommen and that final Dany bit was fantastic! I also wouldn't have considered that Jaime scene to be rape in their world, certainly it would be in modern day terms but as we see so often Westeros is a far more brutal place than ours.

Also: I agree that the book scene with Jaime and Cersei was better than the show, I feel it's really going to undermine the "Jaime's redemption" arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

ffs no Strong Belwas! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Grim. wrote: »
    ffs no Strong Belwas! :(

That made me sad.

Thought they did a pretty good job on that scene with the characters (or lack thereof) available though. The catapulted manacles and slave collars was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,593 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I can see the non readers becoming really pissed off with Dany and even being turned off the show a bit because there is no payoff with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

The Master wrote: »

:D

It really was a strange mix of an attempt at a generic Irish accent you'd expect (and maybe accept) from a non-Irish actor mixed with some of his native Dub.

On a more serious note, I really don't get the Jaime angle. I can't see how his character can be portrayed as 'good' after the rape scene. Unless the show will take his arc down a different path?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Liam O wrote: »
    There's no mention in the books of Oberyn Martell being gay, Ellaria is bi but now we have to endure shoehorned in gay sex scenes that add nothing to the plot and also add a silly weakness to Oberyn that would be exploited by Tywin too?

I don't see how Oberyn shagging men makes him weak?
    Blay wrote: »
    I can see the non readers becoming really pissed off with Dany and even being turned off the show a bit because there is no payoff with her.

Yup. The mention from Tywin that she's going to turn her dragons towards Kings Landing is just playing with the non readers now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Unless they speed things up quite a bit. Part of the problem is that the scale of the eastern lands isn't really demonstrated. Dany might as well be walking from Dublin to Cork, in the books it was very clear that the journey was a lot more grueling so the context is a bit skewed.

They've shown they're willing to change things. That rape really paints Jamie a lot worse than the books did and makes Cersei a potentially more sympathetic character.

Advertisement