Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Really don't see how that Norwegian song is so highly rated? :confused: I think it's very bland.

Iceland had a better ballad than that last year imo (the guy with the long hair and beard) and I don't think it threatened the leaders. I loved Norway last year but I don't see this year's entry as anything special.

Where are Sweden in the betting odds? I see a lot of positive comments on that on Youtube and it features highly in people's lists. I would be tempted to stick a few quid on it.

PS I think if Sweden win Eurovision they are just one win behind Ireland in the all-time winners list?

Sweden are 3rd favourites with Paddy Power at 5/1. One to remember though is Sweden are one of the favourites pretty much every year. I'm unsure how Sanna will do tbh.

And you're correct, one more win will have Sweden at 6, just one behind us. Hopefully if that were to happen, it might inspire RTÉ to put more effort in. Can't have us losing our Eurovision crown! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portugal

Trying to go down the Shakira route I think? Doesn't do anything for me. Might have had more of a chance if it was in English. Chorus is okay. Can't see it having much of an influence though.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Oh no, that's all a bit of a mess from Portugal. Like you say, they'd have more of a chance if it was in English. Kinda surprising when countries insist on singing in their own language when it's so rare for a non-English song to win. Particularly in the case of Portugal, you'd think given how unsuccessful they are after so long in the competition they might as well give English a try?

Moldova: I actually kind of like this one. And, because it's Moldova, you can be sure that the choreography will be ten times more gimmicky and nonsensical by the time the contest rolls around! :P

And here's Portugal again, since the last video was taken down. Some people claiming that there was cheating going on and the writer of the song "bought" the televote.

Oh no, that's all a bit of a mess from Portugal. Like you say, they'd have more of a chance if it was in English. Kinda surprising when countries insist on singing in their own language when it's so rare for a non-English song to win. Particularly in the case of Portugal, you'd think given how unsuccessful they are after so long in the competition they might as well give English a try?

I dunno, I like it when countries sing in their own language. Makes their entries feel more authentic or something. I don't think Portugal have ever cared about winning, they just like showcasing their artists.

EDIT: This is the Albanian entry in English. I think it sounded much better in Albanian. :(
    Also Holy low budget video Batman! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I don't think Ell and Niki were the favourites but they were certainly up there, so their win didn't come as too much of a surprise to me. I thought their's was a really good song, although not many seem to agree.

Many expected Amaury Vassili and "Sognu" to win for France in 2011.

The song was certainly novel - a piece of operatic pop in the Corsican language.

Yet, despite 12s from Belgium and Greece, it only finished 15th. The breakdown of the voting suggested that the televoters were far less impressed by it than the juries were... :(

Iceland had a better ballad than that last year imo (the guy with the long hair and beard) and I don't think it threatened the leaders.

It finished 17th.

And it might have done better had it been sung in English rather than Icelandic... :o;)

I dunno, I like it when countries sing in their own language. Makes their entries feel more authentic or something. I don't think Portugal have ever cared about winning, they just like showcasing their artists.

Since its debut in 1964, Portugal has never even finished in the top five - its best result being 6th in 1996. :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Since its debut in 1964, Portugal has never even finished in the top five - its best result being 6th in 1996. :eek: :eek:

And the woman who sang that sixth place entry went on to be Colin Firth's love interest in Love Actually. She has a rather impressive CV! :P

Meanwhile, in Azerbaijan:

In a word: zzzzzzz.

Many expected Amaury Vassili and "Sognu" to win for France in 2011.

The song was certainly novel - a piece of operatic pop in the Corsican language.

Yet, despite 12s from Belgium and Greece, it only finished 15th. The breakdown of the voting suggested that the televoters were far less impressed by it than the juries were... :(
    The juries weren't all that impressed either, they ranked it 12th!

I remember France being the favourites that year, but I never got it. I wasn't surprised at all when they bombed in the final.

I scarcely remember a year when the bookmakers got it so badly wrong.

Iceland has also taken the step of translating their song into English. I still have a fondness for this song, even if it's seen by many as one of the worst in the competition. :o

And here's Belgium's entry. Very much a case of the singer being a lot better than the song. I suspect it will qualify though:

EDIT: Just had another look at oddschecker and Belgium has jumped up to fifth, overtaking Romania and Hungary! :eek: I might be underestimating this one.

Armenia has overtaken Norway as favourite to win.

Austria

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Austria

As seen on the Saturday Night Show a few months back.

He won't win. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Wasn't there something's similar last year, can't remember the country but thought it was funny

I really like that Azerbaijan entry. :o

It reminds me of one of those ballads you'd hear at the end of a Metal Gear Solid game as the credits roll.

I'd have that in my top ten.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I love the Azerbaijan entry! It's pure class, and her voice is amazing. The juries will love and it and with all of Azerbaijan's voting buddies it's pretty much guaranteed top 5. Heck, if they're rigging the votes again this year it might even win!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

The odds are lengthening for Poland by the day on Paddy Power! I will be winning a packet when they inevitably win! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

TGJD wrote: »
    The odds are lengthening for Poland by the day on Paddy Power! I will be winning a packet when they inevitably win! :D:D

Some amount of boobs in the video which is always good, shocking song tho.

Russia

Last song to be revealed. Safe and solid. Automatic qualifier obviously. Will be interesting to see how Europe responds to Russia this year.

Who are we picking to qualify from the semi's?

From semi 1 I'm picking Armenia, Azerbaijan, Sweden, Russia, Estonia, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Belgium & The Netherlands.

Semi 2 is a lot harder given the amount of crap within it, but Norway, Israel, Greece, Poland, Romania and Ireland should all be pretty safe anyway. Will have to listen to the rest again to decide who the other four will be.

Obviously all of these could change on the night though.

The ones I think will qualify are (in no particular order)

SF1: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Sweden, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Montenegro, The Netherlands and Belgium.
    Latvia and Portugal are no-hopers. The juries will (hopefully) punish Estonia for being so derivative and unoriginal. San Marino is a bit old fashioned, Iceland is a bit too wacky and Albania was much better in Albanian than in English.
    SF2: Ireland, Romania, Norway, Israel, Macedonia, Poland, Greece, Finland, Lithuania and Malta.
    Wouldn't rule out Switzerland possibly taking a spot instead of Lithuania, Malta or Macedonia.

However if I was ranking them based on my personal preferences, I'd choose the following:

SF1:
    1. ARMENIA
    2. The Netherlands
    3. Iceland
    4. Moldova
    5. Hungary
    6. Albania
    7. San Marino
    8. Azerbaijan
    9. Belgium
    10. Ukraine
    11. Montenegro
    12. Sweden (I really don't get the appeal of this song! :confused:)
    13. Russia
    14. Estonia
    15. Portugal
    16. Latvia

SF2:
    1. NORWAY
    2. Poland (though only if it's sung in Polish; if it's done in English then I'm gonna knock it down a few places)
    3. Georgia
    4. Israel
    5. Belarus (my favourite novelty song of the contest! :p)
    6. Ireland
    7. Macedonia
    8. Romania
    9. Greece
    10. Finland
    11. Switzerland
    12. Lithuania
    13. Austria
    14. Malta
    15. Slovenia (it's not terrible, just very forgettable. It would stand a better chance in Semi One, where quite a few songs are weaker than this)

Semi 2 definitely has the stronger quality on average. Thankfully there's one less country for Ireland to compete against.

Nice work. I'll have a go too. Who I predict to qualify:

SF1: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Sweden, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Estonia, The Netherlands and Belgium
    Almost identical to Homer's picks but I think the Loreen rip-off will make it. I think Albania could be close to qualifying.

SF2: Ireland, Romania, Norway, Israel, Macedonia, Poland, Greece, Finland, Austria and Malta.
    Similar thoughts to Homer again but I would be surprised if Lithuania advance. I'll go for the pretty 'out there' Austrian song.

My personal preferences:

SF 1:
    1. AZERBAIJAN - I think this is a very nice ballad and I could easily see a song like this being used in a TV show montage where the characters are going through some emotional upheaval. It's being slated by many but I think it's the best ballad this year.

2. Armenia - A well produced tune which is quite innovative for Eurovision. I can see this being popular and can understand why it's the current favourite.

3. Sweden - The Swedes take this seriously and it shows. Another well crafted, modern tune with a powerful singer. Think this is top five and a potential winner.

4. The Netherlands - Very nice, American sounding song. Could imagine this on an American TV show or film. Not sure it's well suited to Eurovision though. May struggle to qualify.

5. Ukraine - I think they polished this up a bit. It's not bad

6. Albania - Might have a better chance in English but the singer seems more comfortable in her own language.

7. Iceland - This is getting really slated but it's not terrible. Should be in English imo.

8. Hungary - I hate this song. The beats really irk me. Can see why it's popular but it's not my thing at all.

9. Portugal - It's the Shakira route without the quality. Quirky and distinctive though.

10. Moldova - Does nothing for me but not the worst.
    11. Estonia - Blatant take on the Swedish winner which hurts it.

12. Belgium - Belgian Paul Potts singing about his mother. Pass.

13. San Marino - Meh.

14. Montenegro - Meh meh.

15. Russia - Surprisingly bad and feels extremely dated.

16. Latvia - Not sure this has the right ingredients. Huh ho. See what I did there?

To be honest the only songs that I have really warmed to here are the top four in my list. I agree with Homer that there's not a lot of quality songs in SF 1.

SF 2:
    1. ROMANIA - Not as good as their song a few years back and it gets quite OTT near the end but the song is catchy and the girl is a great singer so I see top five.

2. Norway - I am warming to this more and more. Could well be top five material.

3. Ireland - Our best song sent in years but the staging is terrible (Irish dancers and the singer in a debs dress). Also think she can put a bit more oomph into the singing. Fingers crossed for the semi-final.

4. Poland - Whacky song with a surprisingly catchy chorus. Not sure it will do well in English though.

5. Israel - Gets better after a few listens but not a favourite of mine.

6. Macedonia - Really feel like I've heard this before. Can't place it though. I wonder if there was a bit of Ted and Dougal style 'inspiration' behind this track. It's alright.

7. Finland - Quite distinctive. Okay for one listen.

8. Malta - Inoffensive. Not as good as the Dutch one but alright.

9. Austria - Has a Bond track feel to it. Not sure about the presentation aspect or whether Europe will reject that. As a song to listen to it's not the worst. Think it could sneak through.

10. Slovenia - Alright but forgettable.
    11. Greece - Really dislike this sort of dance music. Hope it doesn't do too well.

12. Georgia - This song is hated but there are a few catchy moments. It's not one I'd listen to regularly though.

13. Lithuania - Meh.

14. Belarus - Think this gets worse after a few listens. Not a fan of it.

15. Switzerland - Perhaps my least favourite song of them all. I strongly dislike the lyrics. Horrible.

Much more memorable songs in this semi-final, but only the top three would be songs I'd be willing to listen to more than the one time.

I think there's only a handful of songs that could be regarded as charts-worthy.

I must say the UK one is growing on me. I think that one will be in the mix when the final rolls around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

Although the songs are no way as good as the previous few years there's still a few good ones that caught my eye.

Semi-final 1
    01. Hungary
    02. Azerbaijan (Gets better after each listen)
    03. Ukraine (New Version is much improved!)
    04. Moldova (Really depends on the staging they go with I'd say!)
    05. Sweden (Generic but alright)
    06. San Marino (Third time lucky perhaps?)
    07. Armenia (Don't understand how its the favourite?)
    08. Albania
    09. Belgium
    10. Estonia (Bad version of Euphoria)
    11. Portugal (Mea Culpa would have been a much better choice)
    12. Montenegro
    13. Russia (Boring song, will get through anyway I'd say)
    14. The Netherlands (has some moments but could be a lot better)
    15. Iceland
    16. Latvia

Semi-final 2
    01. Romania (Much better than Playing With Fire in my opinion)
    02. Greece
    03. Ireland (Best entry in years as long as we lose the dancers!)
    04. Norway (Nowhere as good as last year but its still good)
    05. Poland (Hopefully its sung in Polish)
    06. Israel
    07. Malta (Juries will love it I'd presume)
    08. Austria (Good song.. Lose the beard maybe..)
    09. Switzerland (Catchy but in an annoying way)
    10. Belarus (I want it to get though against all better judgement.. :P )
    11. Slovenia (Very forgettable)
    12. Finland
    13. Macedonia
    14. Georgia
    15. Lithuania (My least favourite song of the whole competition)

The running order for the semi-finals has been released.

Ireland will perform ninth in Semi Final Two, following Finland and before Belarus. Not a bad position to be in, sandwiched between two very different songs (both with male vocalists) might make it more memorable. :)

Most notable thing about the draw is that Armenia, the bookies favourites, have been designated the opening slot in Semi Final One. They probably won't be too happy with that but it might be given a better spot in the final.

Armenia have nothing to worry about. Serbia opened their semi two years ago and came 2nd overall, only behind the eventual winner.

Not really too much to infer from the running orders tbh, I don't think it should influence too much about who does and doesn't qualify. San Marino have a good draw in the first semi.. shame they didn't get this last year!

This year is so up in the air it wouldn't surprise me if Azerbaijan came out a surprise winner. I know this would be a hugely unpopular result, but I think it'd be a worthy winner. It's classy stuff.

Right now, my overall top 5 would be:
    1. Azerbaijan
    2. Norway
    3. Armenia
    4. Sweden
    5. UK

Here's a way in which you can rank the top 37. I only takes about ten minutes and is actually very accurate!
    http://gerbear.com/esc2014

My ranking:
    1 Norway
    2 Azerbaijan
    3 Armenia
    4 Sweden
    5 United Kingdom
    6 Hungary
    7 Israel
    8 Denmark
    9 Ireland
    10 Belgium
    11 Poland
    12 Estonia
    13 Finland
    14 FYRO Macedonia
    15 Ukraine
    16 Netherlands
    17 Russia
    18 Greece
    19 Romania
    20 Belarus
    21 Malta
    22 Switzerland
    23 Spain
    24 France
    25 Portugal
    26 Montenegro
    27 San Marino
    28 Latvia
    29 Moldova
    30 Italy
    31 Albania
    32 Austria
    33 Germany
    34 Slovenia
    35 Lithuania
    36 Iceland
    37 Georgia

Pretty sure I contradicted myself a few times during that selection process! :p But here's my ranking, along with a few more observations:

1. NORWAY
    2. France
    3. United Kingdom
    4. Poland
    5. Georgia (no-one else likes it seemingly but I find this one rather delightfully odd! :pac:)
    6. Armenia
    7. Italy
    8. The Netherlands
    9. Israel
    10. Belarus (trolololol...... :p )
    11. Macedonia
    12. Albania (this would easily have made my top ten if they'd kept it in Albanian. English ruins it. :mad:)
    13. Ireland
    14. Romania
    15. Iceland (it's daft and it's pure cheese....but it's sort of impossible to dislike!)
    16. Moldova
    17. Greece (if/when I'm drunk this will instantly move into the top ten)
    18. Switzerland (he's sort of cute in a slightly creepy way)
    19. Lithuania (I would like this song much more if it had a different singer)
    20. Finland
    21. Azerbaijan (this one is danger of growing on me a bit and moving up the list)
    22. San Marino (would have done better in Italian)
    23. Germany (see Azerbaijan)
    24. Hungary (surprised this featured as low as it did but the more I think about it, the less I like it)
    25. Austria
    26. Russia
    27. Spain (I do like Ruth Lorenzo and hope she does well but this song does absolutely nothing for me)
    28. Malta (I'm probably being a little harsh on this one but I can't get past the unbearable twee-ness of it)
    29. Belgium (good singer, bad song; maybe he should sing the Lithuanian entry instead?!)
    30. Sweden (I'm probably one of the few people who has this so low but it really does nothing for me at all)
    31. Slovenia
    32. Montenegro (bring back the dubstep astronauts!!)
    33. Ukraine (though if this qualified and Russia didn't, I would find that rather lol-worthy! :D)
    34. Estonia
    35. Portugal
    36. Latvia (has finally moved off the bottom for me!)
    37. Denmark (as rude as it is not to appreciate your hosts, this song can go die in a fire. :mad:)

*dies from procrastination-induced coma*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I'm just going to post quickly so that I can keep in tune with all the talk about this great date on my calendar. :P

I've only listened to a quick compilation of the 37. So far, Norway, Spain, Israel and Romania are standing out as the typical type of Eurovision songs I would enjoy at the Eurovision.

Will keep the thread posted based on my improved listenership. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,699 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There was a discussion on the radio today about different ideas to make the Eurovision more of a 'level playing field'...one suggestion caught my ear - not having the names of the countries revealed until AFTER the voting! The only problem would be trying not to disclose who's representing who beforehand.

Opinions?

There was a discussion on the radio today about different ideas to make the Eurovision more of a 'level playing field'...one suggestion caught my ear - not having the names of the countries revealed until AFTER the voting! The only problem would be trying not to disclose who's representing who beforehand.

Opinions?

Such an idea would be impossible to execute accurately. Any fans of the show would know who's representing who already, and even if they didn't it wouldn't be too hard to work out. It might have a small affect among the casual fans who watch only on the night, but would it really even be necessary? How unfair is the voting on Eurovision anymore? The reintroduction of the juries helped, and last years change has reduced the diaspora votes even more.

Eurovision may still not be a completely level playing field, but I'd say it's about 60-40, as opposed to a few years back when it was about 80-20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Only found this from scanning through looking for a thread for a tv show I'm watching. Like playedalive, just commenting so as to have this for when things all start to kick off.

Quick question, why were we not at eurovision in concert this year? Did we decide not to take part in the concert this year? It's always a nice beginning to the event and gives you a chance to see how far acts have come since national finals.

Anyway, after listening to most of the songs my top 5 are Norway, Israel, Sweden, UK and Malta.

Advertisement