Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Options
  • 07-04-2014 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭

Every section has an unpopular opinions thread so I thought I'd start one here for gaming.

My one is that I think Spelunky is sheee-ite. I tried several hundred times to play it and I just can't get it at all. Every so often I read on here or someone else how brilliant and I go back to try it again, convinced I'll finally figure out what I'm missing about that game and find the path Spelunky enlightenment. Then I die another hundred times and I end up with a week of internalised rage that I take out on innocent people. Also, I bought it crossbuy on the PS Store so I have it taunting me on my PS3 and my Vita anytime I flick through my games and I won't dump it because I'm convinced someday I'll play it and everything will click for me. It never does... Fúck you, Spelunky!!!

The other for me is that a lot of people seem to think Joel in the Last of Us is an asshat and totally unlikeable. Maybe it's my impending middle age but I could relate to him. Kids are a pain in the arse going on a 60 mile car trip, imagine how annoying having to walk one across a dystopian America wasteland would be.

So what are other people's unpopular gaming opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,569 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm a huge Mario fan but I cannot stand Mario Kart games. Never got the hype.

Give me Micro Machines on the Megadrive with four controllers over it any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Far Cry 3 is not worth the effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mass effect 1 was the only decent game in the series

also red dead was boring

• Registered Users Posts: 55,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Halo games... meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Online gaming sucks, all of it. I only play SP games. Anyone I watch playing CoD or counterstrike or whatever seem to be in more of a trance than taking actual pleasure from playing the way I do with single player stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Batman Arkham Asylum/City were rather dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Agreed with Spelunky being awful.
    Anno 2070 was a load of me hole.
    I liked the ending(s) to ME3, particularly the extended cut.
    Far Cry 3 was overrated and felt like playing through a Uwe Boll film.
    Bioshock Infinite was worth one playthrough, it's aesthetically beautiful but has no substance, highly overrated.
    Nico Bellic was a great character and GTAIV was a class game.
    DayZ is not as good as everyone thinks it is.
    Tomb Raider's QTE's ruined what could have been an awesome game.
    The Batman series is boring.
    Warhammer 40K Spacemarine is a lot better than everyone thinks it is.
    Mafia 2 was mostly dull, and terribly short.

Cant think of any other's atm :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Last of Us isn't all that special. It's a bit clunky and the story while well written has been done to death especially zombies. Brilliant game but best of all time, not even close.

Shadow Complex is a fairly average metroid clone.

The first two Zelda CDi games are pretty good, it's the third one that is utter garbage.

Enslaved is meh and not underrated. Most of the reviews are spot on.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is not a good game.

Heavy Rain's story absolutely sucks and wouldn't even be considered in a low brow american crime TV series.

Ni No Kuni was one of the worst RPGs released last year.

Aladdin on the megadrive looks lovely but is a mediocre game. The SNES version plays a lot better.

Asura's Wrath is fantastic and the DLC people complained about is even better

Sonic Adventure was never that good.

Legend of Dragoon is one of the worst RPGs inflicyed on the world.

Kingpin is a load of ****

Max Payne 1 and 2 got boring fast

The SNES Donkey Kong Country games were pretty mediocre.

Contra Hard Corp on the Mega Drive is a far, far better game than Contra 3/Super Probotector

Contra on the NES is one of the easier games on the system

New Super Mario Bros on the DS is a bland and unimaginative platformer. The Wii and WiiU version however are two of the best platformers ever made and up there with the best in the series.

The Wii is a great console with more great games on it than the N64 or original Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Last of Us isn't all that special.

The SNES Donkey Kong Country games were pretty mediocre.

Contra Hard Corp on the Mega Drive is a far, far better game than Contra 3/Super Probotector

I disagree so strongly with these three statements I felt the need to write a 11 paragraph post explaining why you are wrong.

Instead I deleted it all and will just shake my head in exasperation. :P

I suppose my own unpopular opinion would be on Minecraft and League of Legends. I find both dreadfully dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Joel in TLoU, as OP says, is pretty cool, I liked him.

Super Mario 3D World (as a massive Mario fan) made no impact on me at all! Wouldnt go back to it.

Mario Sunshine is a brilliant Mario game.

Final Fantasy, I just dont get it.....

The Gamecube was the Best system of that Gen.

360 is pants, had one for years, never liked any of their franchises, Halo? meh, love the controller though.

VR is gonna bomb if not priced right.

The Wii U gamepad is awesome! But so sorely under-used.

I dont get Pokemon.

The Vita is a very expensive Indie handheld (and I love it!).

Iwata-san needs to be removed from Nintendo.

Dont know if its an unpopular opinion but I HATE the Wiimotes and I am glad Ninty are going with the Gamepad, back to real controls, in a way.

And Minecraft, if I was a 5 year old then yeah I would be all over it as its like Lego. Another one I just dont get...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Warhammer 40K Spacemarine is a lot better than everyone thinks it is.
    This I agree with. I'd like if Relic made a sequel some day, unlikely though that is. I would settle for a Dawn of War 3 however.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm a huge Mario fan but I cannot stand Mario Kart games. Never got the hype.

Give me Micro Machines on the Megadrive with four controllers over it any day.
    Personally I was a bigger fan of Crash Team Racing.

I'm indifferent to Halo at best.
    I do not like the Final Fantasy series. I was watching a stream of 10 being played, and just didn't get why the series is so popular. Perhaps it's just that I usually prefer Western RPGs.
    I also didn't really care about Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Angron wrote: »
    This I agree with. I'd like if Relic made a sequel some day, unlikely though that is. I would settle for a Dawn of War 3 however.

Personally I was a bigger fan of Crash Team Racing.

I'm indifferent to Halo at best.
    I do not like the Final Fantasy series. I was watching a stream of 10 being played, and just didn't get why the series is so popular. Perhaps it's just that I usually prefer Western RPGs.
    I also didn't really care about Uncharted.

I blame Final Fantasy for breaking my previous XBox with its feck off huge cutscenes breaking the disc drive. One of the games, I had no control over the game for something like 22 minutes what with the cutscenes. Feck the feck off and let me play the fecking game like what I paid my fecking money to do. Oh, and take your stupid turn-based combat and put in on a board game where it belongs and then shove it up your bum for even thinking it matters in the 21st century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Those aren't fúcking zombies in the last of us!!

They never died to come back to life as zombies, they're alive just infected with cordyceps, they can die just like any other person.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't like Crash Team Racing at all. It's about the same quality as Mario Kart 64 but that game wasn't very good either. It's got a lot of very bland tracks (which MK64 suffers from as well).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I didn't like Crash Team Racing at all. It's about the same quality as Mario Kart 64 but that game wasn't very good either. It's got a lot of very bland tracks (which MK64 suffers from as well).
    Damn-You-Sir-Classy-J.D.-On-Scrubs.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ah, thread about telling your pet Hates in gaming freely! Love these!

Here we go:

Halo series - number one, most over rated franchise in a history of gaming.

First party nintendo franchises ( specially Zelda and Mario) - number two and three most over rated franchises in history of gaming.

Hardcore nintendo fanbase - the most smug group of gamers on a planet.

Kirby wrote: »
    I disagree so strongly with these three statements I felt the need to write a 11 paragraph post explaining why you are wrong.

Instead I deleted it all and will just shake my head in exasperation. :P

I suppose my own unpopular opinion would be on Minecraft and League of Legends. I find both dreadfully dull.

If he continually references them as 'zombies' in the Last of Us, this where I shake my head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,481 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best game in that series...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

90% of single-players games are far too long, wasting players' time through repetition, grinding etc...

I find it very hard to play many older - and, in some cases, newer - RPGs because of their relentless random encounter rate, even when I like everything else surrounding the fighting and even the battle mechanics themselves. As sacrilegious as it sounds, I think a lot of classic JRPGs would play even better with something like Bravely Default's robust encounter settings (even if it would obviously screw up the difficulty in the process).

I think there are if not definitive at least reasonable thematic and narrative justifications for Bioshock Infinite's endless gauntlet of combat.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward did more interesting and subversive things with gaming narratives than The Walking Dead.

I have a soft spot for GTAIV, especially its rendering of Liberty City. Although obviously GTAV improved upon it in pretty much every concievable way (even if the city doesn't quite pack the same punch as Liberty).

Arkham City was a notable step back compared to Asylum - the former felt like a leaner, 'punchier' experience.

As overly PC as it makes me sound, the representation of female characters in Dragon's Crown is truly deplorable and childish, even taking into account the exaggeration of some male characters too. Obviously not the only game to fall into this category, but playing it at the moment and certain images are excessive even by gaming's hypersexual standards.

Mass Effect 2 was the most engaging in the series, certainly in terms of storytelling and gameplay flow. The third was disappointing in ways well beyond its infamous ending, while the first all too often felt like a stodgy compromise between shooter and RPG mechanics.
    Last of Us isn't all that special... Brilliant game

'It's only brilliant' must be one of the strangest criticisms I've ever heard :pac:

nullzero wrote: »

I struggled with my replay of this game when I purchased the HD collection. The controls seem so archaic to me now, considering the last time I played it I owned a PS2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nullzero wrote: »

I loved it. I don't know if first one or second one is my favourite. It got so much hate for having Riden as main character, but I liked him. I only discovered the hate for him when I started using Internet gaming community forums. To what I was a bit surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't understand people getting annoyed about people calling the infected in the Last of Us zombies. I don't think it's going to hurt the Infected's feelings and the seem to be following the modern template we've seen used for zombies since 28 Days Later (Yeah, I know, they're not zombies either…). Out of curiosity, in the TLoU universe can the Infected die of hunger?

Maybe not that unpopular but after playing through Tomb Raider and enjoying it a lot I thought the very end of it was a bit whimpery and flat.
    The QTE to kill the final guy was over in a second. I had myself geared up for a massive boss battle.

I don't understand people getting annoyed about people calling the infected in the Last of Us zombies. I don't think it's going to hurt the Infected's feelings and the seem to be following the modern template we've seen used for zombies since 28 Days Later (Yeah, I know, they're not zombies either…). Out of curiosity, in the TLoU universe can the Infected die of hunger?

It's not just 28 days later. Traditionally zombie movies and other pieces of media never refer to them as zombies, usually as something else or just don't give them a name. It's something which started with the '... of the Dead' series and continued. It's very rare that zombies are actually referred to as zombies.

As William Shakespeare famously said, 'A zombie by any other name would smell as bad'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

shaun of the dead makes a good joke about that

Maybe not that unpopular but after playing through Tomb Raider and enjoying it a lot I thought the very end of it was a bit whimpery and flat.
    The QTE to kill the final guy was over in a second. I had myself geared up for a massive boss battle.

Infected & Zombies;

Infected in the last of us; Intelligent - Fast moving - have various stages of infection & mutation, with a more realistic approach via Cordyceps Brain infection.

Zombies - George A Romero - Slow moving - Thousands all huddled in a swarm - Dumb as **** -Zombies die only when their brain is destroyed. Zombies are dead. They are walking corpses. On the other hand, infected are living beings that have been infected by some pathogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I never liked Final Fantasy VII and as a result, never bothered with the rest.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    I never liked Final Fantasy VII and as a result, never bothered with the rest.

I'm vice versa - loved FF7;

Couldnt stand the rest even after multiple trys

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I find it very hard to play many older - and, in some cases, newer - RPGs because of their relentless random encounter rate, even when I like everything else surrounding the fighting and even the battle mechanics themselves. As sacrilegious as it sounds, I think a lot of classic JRPGs would play even better with something like Bravely Default's robust encounter settings (even if it would obviously screw up the difficulty in the process).

Never made it through FF VII because of the random encounter crap. Just make the encounters an organic part of the story please and have less of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's not just 28 days later. Traditionally zombie movies and other pieces of media never refer to them as zombies, usually as something else or just don't give them a name. It's something which started with the '... of the Dead' series and continued. It's very rare that zombies are actually referred to as zombies.

As William Shakespeare famously said, 'A zombie by any other name would smell as bad'.

Yeah, even The Walking Dead calls them 'Walkers'. Do all zombie movies take place in a parallel universe where zombie movies never existed? Whatever about when the original 'Return of the Living Dead' film came out but if there was a zombie outbreak to happen now, everyone would automatically be aiming for the head. I do find that a bit annoying in modern zombie films or modern non-sparkly vampire films where people supposedly seem to know nothing about the mythology and then react surprisingly to things everyone knows. A bit more self awareness in those types of movies wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Battlefield 4 is cack, Battlefield 3 point frakking one is more like it.
    Planeside- Cack

Someone said Max Payne 1? How dare you? That game is hilarious throughout.

Advertisement