Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gorm_0

Bukman13 wrote: »
    The West Dublin Rhinos play/train in Castleknock, I think they might be closest to you.

To play in the League you need to be over 18. But some teams have a youth development squad, for people aged between 16-18. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Rhinos have a development squad.

At the moment DCU, don't have a team, but both Trinity and UCD do. Not sure what info you are looking for, but both Trinity and UCD play in the Shamrock Bowl Conference (the premier division).

Grand thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

I've been looking at different threads here for a while now but haven't seen this before. I never realised there were so many teams in Ireland. Do ye know is there any team in the west? I would love to get involved. How does one go about getting involved? In officiating, coaching, helping out a team, etc.? I assume(hopefully I am wrong) being female would mean there is no team I could play for but I'd love to know of how to get involved in someway : )

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

There is a team in Galway. They have just been accepted into the IAFL this year, so things are looking great. Here's the facebook page so you can contact them. https://www.facebook.com/GalwayWarriorsFootball

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Lena137 wrote: »
    I've been looking at different threads here for a while now but haven't seen this before. I never realised there were so many teams in Ireland. Do ye know is there any team in the west? I would love to get involved. How does one go about getting involved? In officiating, coaching, helping out a team, etc.? I assume(hopefully I am wrong) being female would mean there is no team I could play for but I'd love to know of how to get involved in someway : )

Hi lena, just yo echo what shane said. There is a team in Galway. Currently the IAFA are planning to introduce a flag league which Galway may be entering a team to. I believe this will be a mixed team. There is also scope for it to be an all female team but that would obviously depend on numbers. Give a message to the fb group and I'll keep you updated on any progress in this.

There are also a number of ways in which you can get involved off the pitch. There are officiating courses due to take place in jan/Feb next year. We also need to send our head coach on a course early next year and if you are interested in joining up we would gladly send you on the course too. Again just drop the page a line and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Time for an updated List:

Shamrock Bowl Conference:

The SBC will continue as the elite division in Irish football. It will comprise of 10 teams in two geographic divisions. However, following feedback from teams, interdivisional games are being reintroduced. As teams will still be playing 8 regular season games, they will play less divisional games. Who plays who will depend on geography, with each team playing local divisional rivals twice and the other teams in their division once. Interdivisional games are also geographic to reduce travel.

The SBC will have 7 returning teams and the top 3 IAFL1 teams from 2013. Cork and UCD drop to IAFL1.

SBC North:
    Belfast Trojans
    Dublin Rebels
    Carrickfergus Knights
    Craigavon Cowboys
    Dublin Dragons*

SBC South
    Trinity College Dublin
    University of Limerick Vikings
    West Dublin Rhinos
    North Kildare Reapers*
    Waterford Wolves*
    * Promoted teams.

IAFL1:
    The introduction of IAFL1 in 2013 is seen as one of the great success stories of recent years. This year will see an interesting mix of teams comprising of 3 returning IAFL1 squads and two squads with SBC experience. As with 2013, the division is expected to be close and competitive. All five teams will play home and away against each other:

U.C.D.
    Meath Bulldogs
    Drogheda Lightning
    Mullingar Minotaurs
    Cork Admirals

IAFL2:

When the SBC/IAFL1 split was approved before the 2013 season, provision was made for the introduction of a third tier of football – IAFL2, if and when required. The IAFA has decided to activate this provision for 2014 to accommodate the four new applicants with mainly inexperienced squads. They will play a 6 game regular season. Subject to ability and completing their schedule, these teams will move onto IAFL1 in 2015. Whether or not IAFL2 remains active in 2015 will depend on whether or not another batch of entrants joins the league.

Dundalk Mavericks
    Galway Warriors
    South Kildare Soldiers
    Tyrone Titans

Play-offs/Championships:
    SBC play-offs remain the same, with the exception that the two 3rd place wildcard spots are replaced by two ‘at large’ wildcard spots.
    New Championship games are being introduced for IAFL1 and IAFL2 – to be played between the top two teams in each division.

Timeframe:

The start and finish dates will be largely the same as they were c.3 years ago – most teams will start in the second half of March, with the championship games in August. In recent years the SBC start had crept forward to February.

http://www.americanfootball.ie

• Advertisement

2014 Team Line-up and contact details:

Belfast Trojans:
    Grounds: Shorts S&R Club
    trojans @ americanfootball.ie

Carrickfergus Knights:
    Grounds: Carrickfergus RFC
    knights @ americanfootball.ie

Cork Admirals:
    Grounds: CIT (TBC)
    admirals @ americanfootball.ie

Craigavon Cowboys:
    Grounds: Peoples Park, Portadown
    cowboys @ americanfootball.ie

Drogheda Lightning:
    Grounds: St. Olivers Community College
    lightning @ americanfootball.ie

Dublin Dragons:
    Grounds: Garda Rugby Club, Westmanstown
    dragons @ americanfootball.ie

Dublin Rebels:
    Grounds: Seapoint Rugby Club
    rebels @ americanfootball.ie

Dundalk Mavericks:
    Grounds: Dundalk Institute of Technology
    mavericks @ americanfootball.ie

Galway Warriors:
    Ground: Claddagh Pitches
    warriors @ americanfootball.ie

Meath Bulldogs:
    Grounds: Navan Rugby Club
    bulldogs @ americanfootball.ie

North Kildare Reapers:
    Grounds: North Kildare RFC
    reapers @ americanfootball.ie

Mullingar Minotaurs:
    Grounds: Harbour Field
    minotaurs @ americanfootball.ie

South Kildare Soldiers:
    Grounds: Kildare Town Football Club
    soldiers @ americanfootball.ie

Trinity College Dublin:
    Grounds: Trinity Sports Grounds, Santry
    trinity @ americanfootball.ie

Tyrone Titans:
    Grounds: Strabane Meadows
    titans @ americanfootball.ie

University College Dublin:
    UCD Sports Grounds
    ucd @ americanfootball.ie

UL Vikings:
    UL Sports Grounds
    vikings @ americanfootball.ie

Waterford Wolves:
    Grounds: RSC, Waterford
    wolves @ americanfootball.ie

West Dublin Rhinos:
    Grounds: Castleknock College
    rhinos @ americanfootball.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Boon16

Anyone know if there's anywhere 15 year olds can play ? I'm 5"11 and 13 stone so not exactly small and play rugby so would be able to handle myself.Be 16 in September and me and few mates want to start playing.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

Boon16 wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's anywhere 15 year olds can play ? I'm 5"11 and 13 stone so not exactly small and play rugby so would be able to handle myself.Be 16 in September and me and few mates want to start playing.
    Cheers

Youth kitted football in Ireland is 16 year olds and up. This may be moved back to 15 later this year . South Kildare Soldiers, Drogheda Lightning, and Craigavon Cowboys,Carrickfergus Knights all have youth teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Boon16 wrote: »
    Cheers

To be honest I'm fairly sure 15 year old's can't play in games but you can still join up and participate in practice and by the time you could be playing youth games you'll be well acclimatized to the team!

The schedules for this season have also been put up on the IAFL website.

First game of the new season is on tomorrow in Santry with TCD playing against UL (match preview). It certainly should be an interesting game. The Double Coverage blog have also partnered with the IAFL so it'll be great to see the previews and reviews of games this year!

• Advertisement

Week 2 March 23rd

SBC
    Belfast Trojans 28 @ 13 Carrickfergus Knights Carrickfergus RFC, 1pm
    West Dublin Rhinos 0 @ 27 Trinity College Dublin Trinity College Sports Grounds, 1pm
    Dublin Dragons 12 @ 6 Waterford Wolves Waterford RSC, 1pm

IAFL 1
    UCD 26 @ 0 Mullingar

was surprised to see the final score down in Waterford. Well done to the Dragons.

gufc21 wrote: »
    was surprised to see the final score down in Waterford. Well done to the Dragons.

I wasn't to be honest but I maybe bias as I coached the Dragons Offense last season and created the O playbook this year before heading to the US.

The reasons the Dragons haven't lost many guys in fact they lost maybe 2 players and 1 coach (me)from last season but gained a coach and gained more rookies and a few experienced players. The Dragons beat the Wolves last season also.

The Wolves gained an experienced coach from Texas and probably some more rookies and probably a few guys with experience. Overall though realistically the two teams still match up the same as they did last year. Many believed the coach from Texas would make them instantly better but any coach will tell you any team is a long term project and implementing your system wont happen overnight they will definitely benefit in the long run from his experience though. Top notch guy and it will do good things for them for sure.

They are both tough teams and well coached but the Dragons for me edged before the game today. Cant wait to see how the season plays out for both teams both have a great future ahead of them. Their programs in a good place right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Early predictions in the SBC???

South:

Trinity look very strong, their next game against the Knights will be a good barometer as to how strong they really are, considering the Knights put it up to the Trojans last week. We will also get to see them play the Trojans later on in the season which could be a dress rehearsal for the Shamrock Bowl. (Prediction: 7-1)

Even though Limerick were heavily beaten by Trinity in week 1 the scoreline didn't reflect how tough the game was. The have a much easier schedule on paper than Trinity with 5 of their 8 games against newly promoted teams. I'd expect them to finsh (6-2)

The Rhinos are known for their defense, it kept them in a lot of games last season but they have struggled to get their offense going for the last 3 seasons, they have a very tough schedule facing Trinty twice, Trojans, and Limerick. I think their experience aided by their defense will allow them to come out on come top against the Reapers and Wolves to finsh (2-6)

Wolves and Repears: Both are an unknown quantity to me, both impressed last season in the IAFL1 but this is a big step up. The Wolves missed their chance last week to get an early W on the board, by losing to the Dragons. They play each other on Sunday and even though its early in the season, it is a must win for both teams, I feel the loser of this head to head will be the team most likely to be relegated. Based on the Wolves loss last week and the Repears win last season to clinch the IAFL-1 I'll give the Repears the upper hand slightly. (Reapers 2-6), (Wolves 0-8).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

is there a cork admirals team or have they folded?

nerd69 wrote: »

The Cork Admirlals folded last year but a new club under the same name have entered the league this season.

They compete in the Iafl-1.

nerd69 wrote: »

There is indeed! This is their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Little over a week left to kick off for us,cant wait.

Starting Left Tackle,dreading it :D

raven136 wrote: »

Good Luck dude you will love it.

Hey Raven, looks like ya'll have an easy day against me anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Hey Raven, looks like ya'll have an easy day against me anyway :P

Who are you playing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

best of luck - we have our first game next week - playing right tackle for the solidiers - gonna be epic!

best of luck - we have our first game next week - playing right tackle for the solidiers - gonna be epic!

Galway I just assumed you were south kildare... we're officiating yer game against dundalk next week nasty :p

Week 3 March 30th

SBC
    Belfast Trojans 28 @ 00 Craigavon Cowboys,
    UL Vikings 13 @ 14 Dublin Rebels,
    Waterford Wolves Waterford 0 @ 13 North Kildare Reapers,

IAFL 1
    Cork Admirals 00 @ 53 UCD

Trojans Continue their unbeaten streak with another solid win, against a tough Cowboys side. UL Vikings were beaten at the death by the Dublin Rebels, who scored a TD with 7seconds and then proceeded to convert their 2pt conversion to go away a single point victory. Reapers got their first SBC W on the board by beating the Wolves who now slip to 0-2 on the season.

North Predictions:

Trojans look to be as good as ever, and have forced other teams to raise their game, they have two solid wins under their belt and it's to see see them not making another Shamrock Bowl, stumbling blocks along the way could be either trinity or the rebels. (Prediction: 8:0)

Rebels: Yearly contenders and always in the mix, and all signs point to it being the same again this year, a dogged win against a Viking should give them a lot of confidence for the rest of the season. (7-1)

Knights: Knights have a tough schedule, playing against some of the very best in the league (Trojans twice, Rebels, and Trinity). Their season will hinge on their performances against Craigavon in which the winner of the head-to-head will likely claim a wildcard spot. (4-4)

Craigavon: A team in transition, having lost a few players to the Tyrone Titans, they will be looking to build on their performance against the Trojans were they were competitive through out, 2 special teams TD and a late score probably glossed over a lot of the Cowboys good work. Once again I feel their season will be judged on their results against the Knights. Right now I have the Knights ahead of Craigavon. (2-6)

Dragons: The Dragons could probably already deem this season a success having claimed their first top flight win since 2007. That win means they will almost certainly avoid relegation as they have the tiebreaker over the Wolves who now need to find at least two wins in their remaining 6 games. The Dragons will get a chance to double their win total next weekend when they face the Reapers. 50/50 for me!!! Just leaning toward the Dragons, but would not be surprised with a Reapers win. (2-6)

North Predictions:

I find it hard to argue with that. I'm really just wondering when on earth the Trojans are going to lose, like surely they can't go unbeaten for a third straight year?!? :pac:

kingcobra wrote: »
    I find it hard to argue with that. I'm really just wondering when on earth the Trojans are going to lose, like surely they can't go unbeaten for a third straight year?!? :pac:

Teams below them will naturally improve and push themselves to be better, in a way it's a great thing for the league, it improves the standard across the board. I don't there is such a huge gap between the Trojans and chasing teams, even a 5% edge in american football is enough to make it look like a hammering, a few missed tackles/missed assignments etc, against a disciplined and well coached team, is all it takes to turn a tight game into a blow out.

Week 4 April 6th

SBC

Carrickfergus Knights 18 @ 27 Trinity College
    West Dublin Rhinos 7 @ 22 UL Vikings

IAFL-1

Mullingar Minotaurs 14 @ 8 Drogheda Lightning

IAFL-2

Dundalk Mavericks 15 @ 6 South Kildare Soldiers

Trinity continue to impress and move to 3-0, their game against the Trojans in week 10 is going to be a great game. UL Vikings finally get a win on the board against a tough Rhinos team, they are now into the easier part of their schedule and could easy be going into the playoffs on a 6 game win streak.

Enjoy it?

IAFL-2

Dundalk Mavericks 15 @ 6 South Kildare Soldiers

Enjoy it?

Hells yeah i did! I could have played another game this weekend - but we have to wait for a few weeks! As it was our first game we have a lot to build on - stupid mistakes got capitalised on - i.e. punt returned - and a kicker error caused our loss - but as a first game there is plenty of positives! Some craic tho!

• Advertisement

Galway I just assumed you were south kildare... we're officiating yer game against dundalk next week nasty :p

Were you at the game on sunday?? if you were - you boys were excellent!!
    Did you have a problem with buying equipment on adverts by any chance??

Advertisement