Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

There is no provisions in the bylaws for a playoff system in IAFL1. Kildare won the league because they had the H2H over the Dragons, and because they had a higher points difference in the H2H matchup against Waterford.
    If there was a playoff system then the three of them plus the Bulldogs would have been in it, Drogheda, Tullamore and Mullingar would still be at the wrong end of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

There is no provisions in the bylaws for a playoff system in IAFL1. Kildare won the league because they had the H2H over the Dragons, and because they had a higher points difference in the H2H matchup against Waterford.
    If there was a playoff system then the three of them plus the Bulldogs would have been in it, Drogheda, Tullamore and Mullingar would still be at the wrong end of the table.

I'm not talking about wether or not tullamore would have got in or not. I'm just saying hth is an awful way to loose or indeed win a league in AF, never mind points.

With the extra teams that are guaranteed to enter the league be it 1 or 4 i just think a playoff structure is the way to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

I think the strongest team over the course of the year should be promoted. If it was changed to play off system, you could have the 4th strongest team being promoted, how beneficial would that be for the winning team, we've seen in the past teams folding/ or struggling because they've jumped into the top league too quick.

The main problem this year was the schedule was unfair, and unbalanced, only playing some teams once and others twice was a mistake. If every team played each other twice then its more likely a team would have jumped clear. Obviously you've got too many games then so maybe they will look into breaking the IAFL1 into two separate divisions.

Also, I think something like having one cross division (SBC vs IAFL1) game each, would be beneficial for the long term growth of IAFL1 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Why not have a championship game? Do new teams not deserve a playoff run? I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted? Next year there will be more teams, there will be more teams out of it before business end. Two divisions only way to go imo

Playoff for what though? The top team on the last day of the season is the top team and should get promoted. With only 7 teams also in the division having a playoffs is also pointless because over 50% of the division would end up in the playoffs. Maybe down the line as the IAFL 1 grows it would make more sense.

Don't get me wrong I like playoffs as much as the next man as the top team should end up being the eventual winners if they are good enough to go the distance. But when over half the division can make the playoffs it seems like a point less exercise.
    I know the wolves have been told they can play on the main pitch for playoffs, they dont deserve that unless they get promoted?

As for this I am sorry but this is down to Waterford and whatever negotiations they made with their grounds. They knew before going into the IAFL 1 there would be no playoffs and I don't know why what pitch they get to play on has any bearing on the rest of the IAFL 1. If they have to wait to get in to the top division to get to some playoffs well then so be it. Work your asses off and get there and then you get to play on the better pitch. Not really a good thing to use to backup your debate for playoffs really. All the IAFL 1 teams are in the same boat. Work hard, play hard and get to the SBC.
    Bukman13 wrote: »
    I think the strongest team over the course of the year should be promoted. If it was changed to play off system, you could have the 4th strongest team being promoted, how beneficial would that be for the winning team, we've seen in the past teams folding/ or struggling because they've jumped into the top league too quick.

Agree with most of this but if it had to go to a playoff you would expect the strongest team to keep up their momentum and still win out.
    The main problem this year was the schedule was unfair, and unbalanced, only playing some teams once and others twice was a mistake. If every team played each other twice then its more likely a team would have jumped clear. Obviously you've got too many games then so maybe they will look into breaking the IAFL1 into two separate divisions.

I agree if I was a non coach the IAFL 1 league scheduling was so unbalanced but as a coach you have to take every game as it came and in the end put in the same amount of work to get to the top regardless of who you play. But I agree the scheduling needs to be balanced out. Having 7 teams in the league made it awkward Id say.
    Also, I think something like having one cross division (SBC vs IAFL1) game each, would be beneficial for the long term growth of IAFL1 teams.

I also agree with this. But I do think it should be scheduled in but not count towards the league with regards points and scoring. I think a mandatory game should be scheduled though. I have been on many a team who got bitch slapped by a much better team and I always told guys you have to raise your game to get to the same level.

With UCD when I took over as a head coach we started in 8's and went 6-2 and then in our 2nd season made the big leap and went 2-6 and lost badly in some games against more experienced opposition. But over the next 2 seasons the team improved and they continue to improve even now Im not there. The core group have continued on the journey and grown because of the coaching and the fact they knew their goal was to hold their own against bigger teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

The wolves have one of the best pitches in the country. Full stop. You can check the iafa ratings on game days. The first game the yard markers where only in the middle of the pitch but the last 3 games where fantastic. They received a -2 rating from the officiating crew ( 0 is the best score ). They were told that if they will be in contention for promotion and there will be no home games for waterford Utd they might be able to use the main pitch in RSC.

• Advertisement

Izy wrote: »
    The wolves have one of the best pitches in the country. Full stop. You can check the iafa ratings on game days. The first game the yard markers where only in the middle of the pitch but the last 3 games where fantastic. They received a -2 rating from the officiating crew ( 0 is the best score ). They were told that if they will be in contention for promotion and there will be no home games for waterford Utd they might be able to use the main pitch in RSC.

Who said they didn't? And who actually cares? But thanks for sharing that with us. And basically what you are saying also shoot down GUFC playoff post also as it didn't matter whether it was playoff or not the main thing was if Waterford werent playing at home and the Wolves were in contention for the playoffs.

So do the Wolves think that being on a "better pitch" make you a better team?

Meath play all of their home games on the main pitch in Navan, the Reapers play all of their home games on the main pitch in Kilcock.

I would be all for each team having an inter-league game. It would be great to see how a new team like North Kildare or Mullingar would adapt against a team like the Rebels or the Trojans.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

So do the Wolves think that being on a "better pitch" make you a better team?

it absolutelly doesn't.

in one of previous posts came up that if there was a playoff game the wolves couldve played it on the main pitch in RSC. that was never the case. thats all i was trying to say.

Izy wrote: »
    it absolutelly doesn't.

in one of previous posts came up that if there was a playoff game the wolves couldve played it on the main pitch in RSC. that was never the case. thats all i was trying to say.

Yeah but you also said the Wolves have the best pitch in the league even though it was never the subject. And you went on to tell us why. So you can at least understand why you got the replies you did.

TO. wrote: »
    But thanks for sharing that with us. And basically what you are saying also shoot down GUFC playoff post also as it didn't matter whether it was playoff or not .

I dont play with the wolves and was only mentioning info i was told by team members and coaches. Its no biggy. Its my opinion that 2 divisions in iafl 1 only way to go next year with up to 10 teams in the league. Just makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Boon16

Does anyone know anywhere u16s could play in southside dublin.
    Me and a few mates are dying to play regularly but there just isn't enough of us to get a good game going

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Boon16 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere u16s could play in southside dublin.
    Me and a few mates are dying to play regularly but there just isn't enough of us to get a good game going

Hi Boon16 - the Dublin Rebels are launching a youth programme this year. We've just moved into Seapoint Rugby club. If you're interested in joining, send an email to playATdublinrebels.com (swapping AT with @). Our first senior session is on this Sunday so you could come down and check out the team and the facilities!

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    Hi Boon16 - the Dublin Rebels are launching a youth programme this year. We've just moved into Seapoint Rugby club. If you're interested in joining, send an email to playATdublinrebels.com (swapping AT with @). Our first senior session is on this Sunday so you could come down and check out the team and the facilities!

Cheers mate,I will look into it.
    A few of my mates are only 15 so just wondering if they'd be allowed join.Theyre all fairly tall and pretty built though.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Boon16 wrote: »
    Cheers mate,I will look into it.
    A few of my mates are only 15 so just wondering if they'd be allowed join.Theyre all fairly tall and pretty built though.
    Thanks again

They won't be able to play senior kitted football yet but we're working on setting up a youth team that will hopefully be able to compete against other youth teams. There's still a lot of things to be confirmed but it seems like a pretty good time to be looking to get involved in a youth football team :) Lots more possibilities than there used to be.

Lothaar v2 wrote: »
    They won't be able to play senior kitted football yet but we're working on setting up a youth team that will hopefully be able to compete against other youth teams. There's still a lot of things to be confirmed but it seems like a pretty good time to be looking to get involved in a youth football team :) Lots more possibilities than there used to be.

Ok thanks for your help. :)

Disappointing news from Tullamore.
    It is with sadness that the Tullamore Phoenix football team must announce that we will not be continuing in the league. Thank you so much to all the players that were involved in the club throughout the years and gave us their all and also all of the non-players who supported the team throughout the years. We would like to wish our friends from other teams all the best in the upcoming season as well as all the best to those of our players who may be looking to continue playing with another club.

Wasn't too long ago when they were dominating the DV8's, Their first season in 11s they did relatively well (managed to get a win), seemed like they had a decent base to build on.

Last season they lost their head coach and seemed to really struggle for numbers near the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Anyone else joining the Dundalk mavericks this year? Whats the difference between the sbc and the iafl 1, is the sbc like the premier league and the iafl 1 like the championship in soccer, does one team go up and one relegated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Anyone else joining the Dundalk mavericks this year? Whats the difference between the sbc and the iafl 1, is the sbc like the premier league and the iafl 1 like the championship in soccer, does one team go up and one relegated?

Yeah that's pretty much it. Think there was an auto relegation in 2013 season as Cork Admirals went bust but yeah its like that.

I was once told the IAFL1 have (more) cheerleaders, but i couldn't comment on that

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭SupraSonic_26

Ah ok and how is the sbc title decided is it top 2 teams of north and south do a play off then a final?

Ah ok and how is the sbc title decided is it top 2 teams of north and south do a play off then a final?

Top two from each division

• Advertisement

gufc21 wrote: »
    Top two from each division

Top three in each division isn't it? (1) goes to semifinal, (2) and (3) play each other in a wildcard.
    The semis were then SBCNorth(1) vs SBCSouth(2/3) and SBCSouth(1) vs SBCNorth(2/3)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Hi guys, I'm a 17 year old who is happy to see American Football in the colleges that I'm considering so I just wanted to ask a few questions:

How physical and competitive is it? Do I need to be someone who goes to the gym 5 days a week and have been born naturally fit; or is the league based on the love for American Football with a lot of lean or average build people (like myself) playing in it?

I'd like to try play their in the future but I just want an idea of the standard.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm a 17 year old who is happy to see American Football in the colleges that I'm considering so I just wanted to ask a few questions:

How physical and competitive is it? Do I need to be someone who goes to the gym 5 days a week and have been born naturally fit; or is the league based on the love for American Football with a lot of lean or average build people (like myself) playing in it?

I'd like to try play their in the future but I just want an idea of the standard.

Thanks.

Hi,
    It's great to see you're willing to take it up! I'm 18 and I've been playing IAFL1 football for the past few months both with a youth team and the adult's team and you honestly do see people of various different sizes on the team, ranging from big, nonathletic looking players to small and scrawny players who both play a vital role on the team.

There's plenty of positions that are suitable for you, and although it certainly helps being athletic, you certainly won't be introduced to a team that is full of massive and outrageously quick people. There of course, will be a handful of players who are like what you envisioned but for the large part it's not like that.

Of course, the game is going to be fairly physical, and it is fairly competitive especially if you are only specifying in one position, which I suppose is rare enough. If you aren't a physical person to begin with, you will quickly become a lot more physical when to start playing so you needn't worry about that!

Whatever you do, I highly highly HIGHLY advise you join up. It's a game that, for me anyway, is even more enjoyable playing and you get to learn all the strategies and plays which make watching the game even more fun to watch :D In the meantime while you wait to get to college you can try bulking up a bit with a few pushups a night :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BOLT24

dont forget droghedalightning.ie .....droghedalightning@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BOLT24

The truth is their is no specific standard ..it a growing sport and most teams will be only too happy to have you no matter what your physical ability....There is a place for everyone and that is what separates this sport from all other sports in Ireland .......i agree 100% with KingCobra Whatever team you choose JOIN NOW you will love it the team spirit that can be experienced in this sport is second to none ...Best of luck !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gorm_0

Couple of.questions:
    Are there any teams at all in the fingal region in Dublin?
    What's the youngest age you can be to play?
    What's it like in the college's that play it such as DCU etc.

Gorm_0 wrote: »
    Couple of.questions:
    Are there any teams at all in the fingal region in Dublin?
    What's the youngest age you can be to play?
    What's it like in the college's that play it such as DCU etc.

The West Dublin Rhinos play/train in Castleknock, I think they might be closest to you.

To play in the League you need to be over 18. But some teams have a youth development squad, for people aged between 16-18. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Rhinos have a development squad.

At the moment DCU, don't have a team, but both Trinity and UCD do. Not sure what info you are looking for, but both Trinity and UCD play in the Shamrock Bowl Conference (the premier division).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EJ88

Does anyone know of any plans to start a team in the north west of the Country?

EJ88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any plans to start a team in the north west of the Country?

The Tyrone Titans operate out of Strabane, not sure how close that is to you, but they most are likely your closest team. They only started up this year, and have applied to join the league in 2014. I'm sure they would welcome any newcomer to the sport.

Here's their Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/TyroneTitans/info

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Gorm_0

Bukman13 wrote: »
    The West Dublin Rhinos play/train in Castleknock, I think they might be closest to you.

To play in the League you need to be over 18. But some teams have a youth development squad, for people aged between 16-18. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the Rhinos have a development squad.

At the moment DCU, don't have a team, but both Trinity and UCD do. Not sure what info you are looking for, but both Trinity and UCD play in the Shamrock Bowl Conference (the premier division).

Grand thanks a lot!

Advertisement