Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Deedsie wrote: »
    Oh very good, I am glad I asked now. I got the chocolate mint flavour the last time and I thought it was very nice. Will the impact whey taste similar to the true whey?

Would people here take protein shakes every day of the week and not just on gym days?

My diet is terrible and I do require the supplementation of protein into my diet.

Better off posting an example of your diet for a standard day so you can get help with tidying that up first and foremost! All the supplements in the world won't make much improvement if your diet isn't in check to begin with!

After that if you're training regularly protein shakes are a great convenient way to get your daily requirement if its too much of a struggle to hit with real food! They are also ideal after training when a fast digesting protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    Spend a few days tracking your food with myfitnesspal or a similar app. This means weighing it as well. A protein shake is just a means of getting in an easy source of protein. It's just like eating a chicken breast really. Supplementing with a protein shake is not going to make a bad diet good. Supplements are there to aid a decent diet not as a crutch for a bad one.

+1 for weighing your food! Ever since i started its made keeping my diet in check a hell of a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

They are also ideal after training when a fast digesting protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.

This myth has been debunked. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

What supplements "should" i be taking?

I'm getting back into training again, before Christmas i trained 3 times a week (2 strength, 1 cardio), as well as swimming one night and playing a round of golf at the weekend. I'm hoping to get back to that amount again.

Previously i was taking 1 scoop of ON Whey every day with 1 scoop of ON Casein at night. But i cut that back to only using it on the days i worked out. And on occasion i'd use caffeine free BSN No-Xplode if i was going to the gym late in the evening.

I presume i'll continue using the ON Gold Standard Whey, but is it best to use it every day or just after training?

Looking around, there's talks of using Garlic Tablets, Vitamin D3 Tablets every day for general health, as well as Green Tea tablets to help burn off the belly. Or there's a thing called, CLA, which is supposed to promote fat burning too. Are these all a bottle of smoke, or do they help in conjunction with a balanced diet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

hades wrote: »

I'm getting back into training again, before Christmas i trained 3 times a week (2 strength, 1 cardio), as well as swimming one night and playing a round of golf at the weekend. I'm hoping to get back to that amount again.

Previously i was taking 1 scoop of ON Whey every day with 1 scoop of ON Casein at night. But i cut that back to only using it on the days i worked out. And on occasion i'd use caffeine free BSN No-Xplode if i was going to the gym late in the evening.

I presume i'll continue using the ON Gold Standard Whey, but is it best to use it every day or just after training?

Looking around, there's talks of using Garlic Tablets, Vitamin D3 Tablets every day for general health, as well as Green Tea tablets to help burn off the belly. Or there's a thing called, CLA, which is supposed to promote fat burning too. Are these all a bottle of smoke, or do they help in conjunction with a balanced diet?

Thanks

Read back over the last couple of pages and you will see your questions have already been answered.

hades wrote: »

Thanks

Read GEMs post, its the very first post in the thread!

A good protein shake (isolate if you can afford it), a multi vitamin for general well being and some form of omega 3 should be all you really need! Creatine would be the next big one but i find no matter which type i take i feel no benefit from it so don't bother anymore, however i know people who swear they get a good strength increase from it so i guess it's hit and miss for different people!

After that there are so many supplements that marketing geniuses would have you part with your hard earned cash on to get that perfect body but unless you plan on taking to the stage i would say your better off spending the extra cash on your weekly shop and get in some good quality cuts of meat. There is no magic pill, eat clean train hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I put in an order with myprotein this day last week and still havnt received it , are they usually this slow ?

What a joke, I said I'd give them another try after 2 bad experiences with their products a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My order from MyProtein was put in on Monday and it arrived today.

I see things haven't changed around here... people still giving out about MyProtein :D

Its been pointed out numerous times in the last couple of years how hit and miss their delivery service is i don't understand why people just don't use a different wholesaler?

Bulkpowders have great prices and are always spot on with their deliveries or at least that's been my experience (they have actually opened a .ie website now too) and Iron Science have great customer support! Free samples and shakers with orders etc plus when i complained about having a dodgy batch of protein they sent me out a new one free.

I think there is and Irish wholesaler too but i cant think of the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Trying to figure out what protein I should be taking if any as there seems to be a lot of contradicting info out there. I'm currently trying to lose weight but also build some muscle at the same time. I'm doing a programme that's 2 cardio, 3 weights a week. My diet consists of 3/4 meals a day plus fruit snacks. Meals are basic enough breakfast: porridge/wheatabix. Lunch: tuna sandwich or something similiar. Dinner: meat, veg, spuds or rice. And also maybe something like soup if I'm hungry.

My question is about whey protein. I want to add it to my diet but don't know if I should take it before or after workout. Should I only take it on weights days or only days I workout.

My main goal is weight loss so maybe I shouldn't be taking any but I feel I don't get enough protein and I don't think the calorie difference of one shake would have that big an impact. Thanks for any help and I do apologise if this has been answered but there is a lot of info out there it's hard to decide what's relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Better off posting an example of your diet for a standard day so you can get help with tidying that up first and foremost! All the supplements in the world won't make much improvement if your diet isn't in check to begin with!

After that if you're training regularly protein shakes are a great convenient way to get your daily requirement if its too much of a struggle to hit with real food! They are also ideal after training when a fast digesting protein will help to aid in muscle recovery.

+1 for weighing your food! Ever since i started its made keeping my diet in check a hell of a lot easier.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057176635

I have posted any example of my training and shoddy diet here. I am going to try sort the diet by cutting out the crap and increasing the meat, fish and veg. But I still will be ordering a protein pouch off myprotein this week.

Which one would people here recommend? Impact Whey protein, true whey protein or total whey protein? I am hoping to use some creatine mono also. I bought it last year but never used it.

• Advertisement

I got an email from track pack who ship the items to an post who seem to be the courier but I rang an post and they said they still havnt received it, they've received confirmation from them that it's coming alright though.

Today is the 5th working day, I'll have to contact them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got an email from track pack who ship the items to an post who seem to be the courier but I rang an post and they said they still havnt received it, they've received confirmation from them that it's coming alright though.

Today is the 5th working day, I'll have to contact them.

Did you select the DPD option or post one?

It defaulted to post one the other day for me but I changed it to DPD as it was same price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 bodybuilder11

What supplements you use from myprotein?

Did you select the DPD option or post one?

It defaulted to post one the other day for me but I changed it to DPD as it was same price.

Tbh I just left it to default , I didn't even see an option for DPD.

I've had some movement though after I talked to a myprotein agent in their chat feature which is fairly good by the way.

So hopefully today I'll have it ! Just ordered 2kg of whey , 1kg of casein and some leucine heavy Amino's hopefully they'll be of decent enough quality.

What supplements you use from myprotein?

Just a small amount of BCAAs to experiment with in order to see if it helps my recovery.

I get enough protein in my diet and I just wanted to see if they have any effect. I suspect the effect will be minimal but we'll see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 bodybuilder11

Just a small amount of BCAAs to experiment with in order to see if it helps my recovery.

I get enough protein in my diet and I just wanted to see if they have any effect. I suspect the effect will be minimal but we'll see.

Maybe you will feel that your body (muscle) recover faster after workouts. How much cost, how many servings?

Maybe you will feel that your body (muscle) recover faster after workouts. How much cost, how many servings?
    Maybe, maybe not.

500g pouch of powder and they threw in a bottle of 90 tablets that'll last 10 days, eff oh see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Maybe, maybe not.

500g pouch of powder and they threw in a bottle of 90 tablets that'll last 10 days, eff oh see.

The powder will last forever because it is mank and will sit on your shelf :pac:

The powder will last forever because it is mank and will sit on your shelf :pac:

It's not. It's 'Tropical' flavour so it's bound to taste like Lilt but with gainz.

:D

It's not. It's 'Tropical' flavour so it's bound to taste like Lilt but with gainz.

:D

Lilt with gainz lol

• Advertisement

Lilt with gainz lol

L.I.L.T.

Look, I Lift Tonnes.

Mixed it with vanilla-flavoured whey. Not unpleasant!

Back. Of. The. Net.

I bought L-Carnitine aminos from myprotein. i just have to say in all honesty a shockingly bad quality of product.

The pills dissolve in your hands ! you literally have to put them straight in your mouth and swallow and twice they've been caught in my throat. I also purchased leucine pills and tbh there not far behind either.

I waited 7 days for my order which was my first order in about 4 years now I remember why I steer clear of these cowboys, very poor quality of products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I bought L-Carnitine aminos from myprotein. i just have to say in all honesty a shockingly bad quality of product.

The pills dissolve in your hands ! you literally have to put them straight in your mouth and swallow and twice they've been caught in my throat. I also purchased leucine pills and tbh there not far behind either.

I waited 7 days for my order which was my first order in about 4 years now I remember why I steer clear of these cowboys, very poor quality of products.

Just a quick one, why did you waste your money on L-Carnitine?

Most of the issues you have with what you got had nothing to do with MP.

Tbh I just left it to default , I didn't even see an option for DPD.

I've had some movement though after I talked to a myprotein agent in their chat feature which is fairly good by the way.

So hopefully today I'll have it ! Just ordered 2kg of whey , 1kg of casein and some leucine heavy Amino's hopefully they'll be of decent enough quality.

It seems its random. Friend picked same option as me and got trakpak. No tracking has updated and when he contacted MP they said it can take up to 21 days. Checkout says 2-4 working days. Just have to open a paypal dispute by the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Ordered from Bulk Powders on Monday morning and just received a text saying DPD will be delivering it between 12 and 2pm. Good service, although you do have to spend €75+ for it to be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Most of the issues you have with what you got had nothing to do with MP.

The 2 products complained about were of "bad quality" and this has nothing to do with MP? If the products aren't up to scratch then who's fault could it be but the manufacturer's?

The 2 products complained about were of "bad quality" and this has nothing to do with MP? If the products aren't up to scratch then who's fault could it be but the manufacturer's?

The issues were that they started to dissolve in the poster's hands so you had to put them straight in your mouth and that they stuck in his throat.

I'm not really sure why having to put a pill straight into your mouth as opposed to holding it in your hand means it's bad quality. Otherwise the Maltesers I had yesterday were appalling.

And a pill being caught in the poster's throat is hardly indicative of bad quality either.

Unless I'm missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Ordered from Bulk Powders on Monday morning and just received a text saying DPD will be delivering it between 12 and 2pm. Good service, although you do have to spend €75+ for it to be free.

This happened me last week. I ordered 120 tablets and a shaker...that's less than a kg and is a small parcel and they managed to **** it up. I've ordered more whey since then and It'll no doubt arrive before the shaker.

Advertisement