Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

Clougher, pm me if you want help.
    clogher71 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the response guys I was hoping to draw on your experiences, I am looking at a Mazda6 2.2 185ps sport, in excellent condition and a full Mazda service history as they have to have the correct oil and the dpf needs to be reset after an oil change.
    Full service history with receipts is a must.
    The 185 is a bit pricey and will have a higher co2 @I think 152, thus higher tax here, where as the 180 should be 140, is more plentiful and you should get at least a 2011 for your budget.
    Whereas I keep away from car supermarkets thay can be a good source for these type of cars. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Full service history with receipts is a must.
    The 185 is a bit pricey and will have a higher co2 @I think 152, thus higher tax here, where as the 180 should be 140, is more plentiful and you should get at least a 2011 for your budget.
    Whereas I keep away from car supermarkets thay can be a good source for these type of cars. G

ood luck with your search.

149 co2 I know they are pricey, but the sport has all the toys and I am into my cars. I suppose it's the same for any car and price, I probably could get a 12 corolla here for my budget, reliable safe for deprecation etc etc, but for me life is too short to drive something I would not be happy with.

149 co2 I know they are pricey, but the sport has all the toys and I am into my cars. I suppose it's the same for any car and price, I probably could get a 12 corolla here for my budget, reliable safe for deprecation etc etc, but for me life is too short to drive something I would not be happy with.

Point I am making is you could get a 180 sport with the same toys at a cheaper cost to you and the power difference would not be much but the VRT would be based on a lower rate and annual tax would be over €100 pa less.
    I was sure the co2 on a 185 was 152. Make sure you get sight of the V5 before doing a deal to be sure of the co2.
    If you take your time and shop around around you might get a 180bhp 2012 with 70k odd miles for stg 12, 000. You will get a 163 for that.
    Let usvknow how it goes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Whatever you do Clougher, don't buy a mazda north of Northhampton!

Point I am making is you could get a 180 sport with the same toys at a cheaper cost to you and the power difference would not be much but the VRT would be based on a lower rate and annual tax would be over €100 pa less.
    I was sure the co2 on a 185 was 152. Make sure you get sight of the V5 before doing a deal to be sure of the co2.
    If you take your time and shop around around you might get a 180bhp 2012 with 70k odd miles for stg 12, 000. You will get a 163 for that.
    Let usvknow how it goes.[/quote

Is the face lift 180? And the 09. / early 10 185ps? My budget would not stretch to a 12 :-(

• Advertisement

Let usvknow how it goes.[/quote

Is the face lift 180? And the 09. / early 10 185ps? My budget would not stretch to a 12 :-(
    I am not big into Mazdas but a dealer friend of mine asked me to source a Mazda 180 sport for a client of his.
    We got a 2011 180 sport with 72k miles for £7300. I never even saw it but I do know that he changed the 19" wheels for 17" because they made a pig of the car.
    I phoned him a short time ago and he is delighted with the car.
    Still a little too hard on the road and a tad disappointed with the diesel consumption which is averaging out at 40mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 npride

howdy folks, so ive been in the market for a 530 for the past 12 months now. i think ive finally stumbled upon what looks to be the one. on paper and in the photo she looked perfect so i phoned the dealer and asked if he would drop the price to 11000 to which he counter offered at 11250 and he wouldn't bouge from this.

just looking for a second opinion here on whether i should take him up on that or play the waiting game and hope he'll drop it further.

and if anyone has experience of buying in that area (near sea/north of england is known to be troublesome) i would greatly appreciate your advice and pointers

heres the car

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312120482762/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/15000/make/bmw/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/bt364pe/transmission/automatic/model/5_series/keywords/m%20sport/radius/1501/maximum-age/up_to_6_years_old/body-type/saloon/seller-type/trade_adverts/page/1/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles?logcode=p

thanks

I am not big into Mazdas but a dealer friend of mine asked me to source a Mazda 180 sport for a client of his.
    We got a 2011 180 sport with 72k miles for £7300. I never even saw it but I do know that he changed the 19" wheels for 17" because they made a pig of the car.
    I phoned him a short time ago and he is delighted with the car.
    Still a little too hard on the road and a tad disappointed with the diesel consumption which is averaging out at 40mpg.

Yes, I know they are not the best on diesel, I had a 06 sport, that was a great price, all i can see is 09's for that money and that is good some of them are up to £8500 for 09's

Yes, I know they are not the best on diesel, I had a 06 sport, that was a great price, all i can see is 09's for that money and that is good some of them are up to £8500 for 09's

If you walk in off the street to a dealer you could be charged any amount, and to be honest a lot of dealers will try the high price for a fewcweeks in the hope of a catch. That is business.
    But there are 2010 and 2011s out there still at the mid 7000's with 70k to 90k miles.

Have a very good look at the spec here for acparticular model as that is what Revenue will use to determine VRT on extras

npride wrote: »
    howdy folks, so ive been in the market for a 530 for the past 12 months now. i think ive finally stumbled upon what looks to be the one. on paper and in the photo she looked perfect so i phoned the dealer and asked if he would drop the price to 11000 to which he counter offered at 11250 and he wouldn't bouge from this.

just looking for a second opinion here on whether i should take him up on that or play the waiting game and hope he'll drop it further.

and if anyone has experience of buying in that area (near sea/north of england is known to be troublesome) i would greatly appreciate your advice and pointers

heres the car

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312120482762/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/price-to/15000/make/bmw/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/engine-size-cars/3l_to_3-9l/postcode/bt364pe/transmission/automatic/model/5_series/keywords/m%20sport/radius/1501/maximum-age/up_to_6_years_old/body-type/saloon/seller-type/trade_adverts/page/1/maximum-mileage/up_to_90000_miles?logcode=p

thanks
    Thats Sunderland. I am not saying it will not be good coming from that area but I am saying that I have found that their attitude to use and abuse of cars and maintenance is a bit like many Irish and I do not bother then.
    Ivthink the mistake you made was asking him to go to avprice, I would have asked him what he would genuinelly do it for first.
    You will find he will not budge....for a few weeks at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I am thinking of getting this car:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310089164617/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/model/i30/price-to/9000/postcode/bt357nb/make/hyundai/page/2/radius/1500/ni-only/on/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

Does anyone have any feedback? I would be doing this on my own and driving up to Dungannon to get this.

Or if someone knew anyone who could collect it either that would be great?

How much approx is it to get someone to look over the car?

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

verywell wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting this car:
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310089164617/sort/default/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/model/i30/price-to/9000/postcode/bt357nb/make/hyundai/page/2/radius/1500/ni-only/on/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew?logcode=p

Does anyone have any feedback? I would be doing this on my own and driving up to Dungannon to get this.

Or if someone knew anyone who could collect it either that would be great?

How much approx is it to get someone to look over the car?

Thanks all
    I don't think the AA do checks in the North but the RAC might.

Have you made sure that you'll make a saving bringing it in from the UK. I'd presume that one would work out around 12.5k inc. VRT plus travel costs etc.

Here's a couple of examples here that would come in the same or cheaper (although I haven't looked at spec)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-2011-1-6-crdi/6519436

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2011-hyundai-i30-1-6crdi-comfort-auto/5777708

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-1-6-diesel-road-tax-200-/6533733

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-1-6-litre-diesel/6172877

I presume these would still be under warranty with Hyundai.

Hi discombobulate, I have to check out about the warranty. Have emailed Hyundai to check (hoping I will get it in writing - but doubtful) will call them if I don't hear anything from them.

Yes it works out about €12.4k all in. For most of the 2011 models they all seemed to me to be between 13500 - 15000. Automatics are cheaper but not what I am looking for. The only one lower that I saw so far is that one from Motorplex. The garage in NI will give me a 1y warrenty if not transferrable so that makes me lean more towards them.

Hi discombobulate, I have to check out about the warranty. Have emailed Hyundai to check (hoping I will get it in writing - but doubtful) will call them if I don't hear anything from them.

Yes it works out about €12.4k all in. For most of the 2011 models they all seemed to me to be between 13500 - 15000. Automatics are cheaper but not what I am looking for. The only one lower that I saw so far is that one from Motorplex. The garage in NI will give me a 1y warrenty if not transferrable so that makes me lean more towards them.
    The manufacturers warranty would definitely be transferable from another individual. It's for the car rather than the individual and UK manufacturer warranty's are generally covered in Ireland also.

It's a 5 year warranty on them I presume so i'd have thought any i30 should be under warranty until 2016

I would have thought that that is on the high side. Hyundai as very popular in the UK.
    A lot of cars on the forecourt in NI come in from Great Britain.

I prefer to fetch them myself and save a considerable amount.
    The 5 yr warranty will of course transfer.

Make sure that the service book is in keeping with the schedule and if any of the services were carried out by a non Hyundai dealer that it was a vat registered garage and the receipts are available.
    Collection is not a problem

They look to be going for up to £1500 cheaper on mainland UK than the one you linked so definitely worth considering.

I would have thought that that is on the high side. Hyundai as very popular in the UK.
    A lot of cars on the forecourt in NI come in from Great Britain.

I prefer to fetch them myself and save a considerable amount.
    The 5 yr warranty will of course transfer.

Make sure that the service book is in keeping with the schedule and if any of the services were carried out by a non Hyundai dealer that it was a vat registered garage and the receipts are available.
    Collection is not a problem

Hi timmy4u2

When you say this is on the high side - what are you referring to?

If I did want to go down the route of collection, could you let me know approx cost?

Thanks.

Hi discombobulate - I suppose for me I was looking up North as it is easier for me to drive up and collect it then paying to go to the UK. Maybe if it not too expensive to pay for someone to collect it, it could work out.

Hi timmy4u2

If I did want to go down the route of collection, could you let me know approx cost?

Thanks.
    Here's one nearly the same mileage, same colour etc. from Cargiant.

Hi timmy4u2

Thanks.

Hi discombobulate - I suppose for me I was looking up North as it is easier for me to drive up and collect it then paying to go to the UK. Maybe if it not too expensive to pay for someone to collect it, it could work out.
    I would have thought that you should not have to pay more than £7000.00 for a 60, 000 ml model. They are popular but can be sourced atva reasonable price

Here's one nearly the same mileage, same colour etc. from Cargiant.

I can't display that page. what area code did you enter and I will try find it.

• Advertisement

I can't display that page. what area code did you enter and I will try find it.
    Auto trader website seems to be acting up. I'll try again after

Auto trader website seems to be acting up. I'll try again after

Cheers. Thought it was just my pc

Here's the list of them on Cargiant although just noticed they are all auto which you said wouldn't suit.

Here's a list of all 2011 that might be worth checking.

I still can't get into autotrader :(

I still can't get into autotrader :(
    Not working for me again now. Must be having intermittent issues. Also worth checking eBay as a lot of private and dealer cars get listed there also in the UK. That's where I found mine.

Would it be a big deal (as in questionable) if a car has not been taxed since last year? I assume it means more than likely that it has been sitting around for a few months?

I came across another i30 in UK but it has not been taxed since Sept 2013.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309138774746/sort/default/make/HYUNDAI/model/I30/postcode/ll651dq/radius/1500/price-to/7500/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/body-type/hatchback/seller-type/trade_adverts/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/advert-type/hl-nthcar/dealer/10267/usedcars?logcode=hlp

Also a question for knowledgeable folks: Would there be much power difference between a 90bhp and a 118bhp in the i30?

Would it be a big deal (as in questionable) if a car has not been taxed since last year? I assume it means more than likely that it has been sitting around for a few months?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309138774746/sort/default/make/HYUNDAI/model/I30/postcode/ll651dq/radius/1500/price-to/7500/fuel-type/diesel/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/body-type/hatchback/seller-type/trade_adverts/transmission/manual/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/advert-type/hl-nthcar/dealer/10267/usedcars?logcode=hlp

Also a question for knowledgeable folks: Would there be much power difference between a 90bhp and a 118bhp in the i30?
    I would be very wary about a car not being taxed for six months. Could spell accident damage/repaired but then again there could be a genuine reason.

The new CIE continious insurance enforcement allows a garage to keep a car for three months without being subject to it so dealers will not want a car on T heir forecourt for that period of time.
    Also if you intend to drive the car home the fact that it does not have tax can beca big issue if copped by the ANPR cameras.
    You can be sure that it was not being used untaxed in the UK.

Decent bit of extra power for overtaking. If you've the choice go for it.

Tax won't matter once its over here as Irish tax would be required then. UK tax wouldnt follow over here.

Only issue you'd have would be if you were stopped on the way to the ferry over there

Decent bit of extra power for overtaking. If you've the choice go for it.

Tax won't matter once its over here as Irish tax would be required then. UK tax wouldnt follow over here.

Only issue you'd have would be if you were stopped on the way to the ferry over there
    Just to add tax in the UK is feck all compared to here so you could always pay the buyer a little extra to tax for peace of mind on way to ferry.

• Advertisement

You can be sure that it was not being used untaxed in the UK.
    Presume a HPI check would tell you if it had been an accident? Only if it was claimed on insurance i presume though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement