Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What used to freak you out?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭nigelradion2

The 2 biggest causes of sleepless nights throughout my childhood

Bastard things but I was addicted.
    Constant stories about ghosts, aliens, monsters etc and I belived every little bit of it. Even with Unsolved Mysteries I managed to convince myself that the regular kidnappings and murders were the work of aliens :pac: Terrified that witches and ghosts were gonna get me in my sleep :o

Anybody else remember things from the past that had you terrified? TV shows, stories etc? :)

Well sounds pretty daft now, but I absolutely hated the Sugar Puffs Honeymonster as a kid so much so that I've never eaten the cereal. Looking back on those classic adverts (the ones where all the kids in them used to turn into the honeymonsters after saying the classic "I Want My Honey!!", which I always used to try and avoid them by leaving the room whenever they came on), I now realise how silly I was but at the time I really didn't like them.

They made such an impact that, when I started in secondary school, I was absolutely convinced that myself and my classmates would all suddenly turn into honeymonsters during class but of course we never did
    thank goodness.

Bit daft I know but I was only 13 at the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Anything to with child friendly ultra violence such as the crucifiction. Get that lad in here so he can see what they did to god..
    Look that's the cat o nine tails see there that's thorns in his head...you know the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yep
    The intro to tales of the unexpected............
    Hammer House of Horror, - I watched that and was only around 8- I keep telling my mum she should have been done for child abuse, letting kids watch that.....
    My sister was scared of the Count on Sesame Street, she called him The Bonfire, (could not say vampire)
    Also, dont know if anyone else remembers the kinder egg add, with the most sinister looking character of all sitting on a wall............ Super scary!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

anewme wrote: »
    Yep
    The intro to tales of the unexpected............
    Hammer House of Horror, - I watched that and was only around 8- I keep telling my mum she should have been done for child abuse, letting kids watch that.....
    My sister was scared of the Count on Sesame Street, she called him The Bonfire, (could not say vampire)
    Also, dont know if anyone else remembers the kinder egg add, with the most sinister looking character of all sitting on a wall............ Super scary!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

^^^^:eek:-I'd forgotten that-he was scary.

Does anyone remember an RTÉ drama about Rabies?Probably early to mid 80s?
    Dogs and people frothing at the mouth-very disturbing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

^^^^:eek:-I'd forgotten that-he was scary.

Does anyone remember an RTÉ drama about Rabies?Probably early to mid 80s?
    Dogs and people frothing at the mouth-very disturbing stuff.

"Rabies.
    Kills.
    Agonizingly.
    How do we prevent it reaching Ireland?
    When going abroad leave family pets with friends.
    Report to customs if you suspect animals are coming ashore illegally or being smuggled in.
    Vigilance can keep Rabies out of Ireland."

Seasan wrote: »
    "Rabies.
    Kills.
    Agonizingly.
    Report to customs if you suspect animals are coming ashore illegally or being smuggled in.

:eek: I remember that ad, but the drama was serialised over a few nights and was horrible.I was too scared to look at a dog back then lest it attacked and bit me.
    Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

When I was younger, the treehouse of horror scream instead of the usual "hush" at the very end of the episode used to terrify me and always turned it over when it got close to that part

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Cant find anything about an RTÉ one. There was The Mad Death by BBC Scotland made around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

The X files and old black and white game boy games used to freak me out Aswel for some odd reason

• Advertisement

Both of the shows in the OP terrified the life out of me age about 12! I still don't much like them, hence wont watch those videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Both of the shows in the OP terrified the life out of me age about 12! I still don't much like them, hence wont watch those videos.

Ahhhh go on :pac:

Although I cant really blame you. I still have trouble watching IT :o

Seasan wrote: »
    "Rabies.
    Kills.
    Agonizingly.
    That was a health and safety advert.Its over 30 years since I last saw it but can remember it clearly,still image shot of a dog jumping onto a pier from a boat and then a shot of a guy laid up in a hospital bed.He may have foaming at the mouth,not too sure but he diden't look in the best of health anyway.

Cant find anything about an RTÉ one. There was The Mad Death by BBC Scotland made around the same time.
    I diden't see that series but I remember seeing it advertised somewhere,possibly the RTE Guide accompained by a still where a dog is attacking a guy through the broken window of a car.

The opening sequence for The Mad Death is featured here.Don't watch it if youre intending to have a nights sleep.I remember Sapphire And Steel and Edge Of Darkness.I'd never seen the opening sequence to The Tomorrow People before,its the last one shown here and all I can ask the makers is what the hell drugs were they on at the time and can you still get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

are_you_afraid_of_the_dark.jpg

This fecker from Are You Afraid Of The Dark on Nickelodeon...no problem now but he still is very creepy for a child! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zorro absolutely terrified me as a child. I used to have a recurring nightmare that he broke into my house trying to kill me, and I was hiding under the stairs - I'd always wake up when he looked there. It wasn't until my late teens that I realised that Zorro was actually a hero and not a villain.

zorro1990.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Love shows like this, easy watching with plenty of nostalgia.
    Loads of things from this thread made the top 100!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

http://youtu.be/VObQfWMgmIM

This program scared the Sh1t out of me ,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Chewbacca from star wars used to scare me when it first came out i was convinced he was a baddy...a big hairy monster

• Advertisement

I remember the first time seeing a picture of E.T. just before the film came out.It was a full page colour picture in one of the Sunday papers and I clearly remember flicking through it and spotting it.I thought he was some sort of deformed child and got the heebie jeebies.I was eight.

darkdubh wrote: »
    I remember the first time seeing a picture of E.T. just before the film came out.It was a full page colour picture in one of the Sunday papers and I clearly remember flicking through it and spotting it.I thought he was some sort of deformed child and got the heebie jeebies.I was eight.

We went to see ET in the cinema(a very rare outing) as children.
    My younger brother was so scared,he vomited and we all had to go home.
    I've never seen EféckingT in its entirety since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

This bunch of lads in fraggle rock. Terrifying.

the-gorgs-garden.jpg

Other scary shouts go to...

- Old woman ghost in library in Ghostbusters 1
    - Talking mountain in The Never Ending Story
    - Faces in the bedroom curtains (that were in fact flowers).

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    This bunch of lads in fraggle rock. Terrifying.

the-gorgs-garden.jpg

Other scary shouts go to...

- Old woman ghost in library in Ghostbusters 1
    - Talking mountain in The Never Ending Story
    - Faces in the bedroom curtains (that were in fact flowers).

Yes I used to be scared of those giants or whatever they were supposed to be in Fraggle Rock.I think it was mainly their big creepy eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Ripley's believe it or not....not sure why but maybe cause there was always weird people/stuff on it plus watching it at 1am on TV3 on my own sent my imagination over drive :eek:

sometimes when l would have to go out the backyard to get something for mom, at night ld always leg it back into the house, scarred someone was watching or gonna attack me :o

whenever lm the last one going to bed with all the lights out...l use to close my eyes...thinking l was gonna see a ghost or something :o l sound like such a scaredy cat but lm really not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

this fella scarred the **** out of me....for weeks l use to imagine he was in my closet at night :o:rolleyes:

hairiest.jpg

Of course there was the infamous bogey man or boodie man as I used to think he was called.Was convinced I saw him when I was three or four.It was a shadow or something on the ceiling that looked like a big face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

darkdubh wrote: »
    Of course there was the infamous bogey man or boodie man as I used to think he was called.Was convinced I saw him when I was three or four.It was a shadow or something on the ceiling that looked like a big face.

We use to call it the boodie man as well....the first time I ever heard him being called the bogey man was on an American televison programme.I think "boodie man" sounds scarier,though

I don't know how I could've forgotten Thunderbirds.
    They were the scariest looking thingies ever and I hated whenever they were on.
    Would still fast forward very quickly,if anything remotely like them came on the tv today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I used to absolutely freak out if Tony Blackburn or Jimmy Saville were hosting TOTP in the 70s but what still puts my teeth on edge to this day is this:

Whenever it came on on "Ulster" I used to have to be removed from the room until the title sequence was over.

Advertisement