Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

fearruanua wrote: »
    Team for sunday
    1. Breathnach
    2. O Neill
    3. Hanley
    4. Duane
    5. Varley
    6. Moore
    7. Denvir
    8. Higgins
    9. O Curraoin
    10. Sice
    11. Armstrong
    12. Conroy
    13. Walsh
    14. Martin
    15. Kavanagh.

Looks a strong team, we'll soon find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

fearruanua wrote: »
    Team for sunday
    1. Breathnach
    2. O Neill
    3. Hanley
    4. Duane
    5. Varley
    6. Moore
    7. Denvir
    8. Higgins
    9. O Curraoin
    10. Sice
    11. Armstrong
    12. Conroy
    13. Walsh
    14. Martin
    15. Kavanagh.

A joke that Higgins is playing, Conroy should be at midfield where he has been playing all year and all last year. Solid enough team though. Be interesting to see how Moore gets on at Centre Half Back.

sonnky wrote: »
    A joke that Higgins is playing, Conroy should be at midfield where he has been playing all year and all last year. Solid enough team though. Be interesting to see how Moore gets on at Centre Half Back.

I'd agree with ya.

I'll hold my hand up and say I was in favour of trying Higgins at midfield considering he won POTY there in the senior club championship a few years ago and was until after that point untried.

Being honest though, he's had plenty of games at senior now and he's extremely limited.
    No pace, finesse, kicking skills, very obvious(gave a criminal handpass away against Tipp in the qualifiers last year that was costly at the time, the pass was read a mile off) and not exactly dominant at midfield(fielding KO's) which you'd expect at the least from someone limited but imposing.

I find it amazing how someone like Flynn and to a lesser extent; O'Curraoin, have both being continuously overlooked by Mulholland in favour of Higgins even though they both have U21 AI's.

Wouldn't mind the team bar that though given the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Colour me puzzled at Higgins in midfield too. Was kinda optimistic about him as a possible solution to our midfield back in the Bergin-era. Those days are long gone now though and unless Flynn was carrying an injury I've no clue why he's starting. Expecting a 3 man midfield with Conroy dropping back.

Good to see Varley given a go. There's a need to have a settled half-back line though by the League's end. There's so many options for the 5 and 7 but a reliable centre-half back is needed. They seem to be keen to give Moore a run out in that slot so hopefully he has a great campaign.

Really hoping Martin has a good game at FF. He scored some super points in the QF's and we badly need a clinical 14 if Meehan is injured because Danny doesn't score goals, as good as he is.

All-in-all a decent team but a far tougher Division.

• Advertisement

Sounds like we got a bit lucky in the opening 15mins in Navan.

Meath could have been 2-0 0-0 up after 2mins and had another goal chance a few minutes later which could have seen a 9 point lead.

Also had a 4th hit the post after Galway got off the mark.

Armstrong got a goal against the run of play though to put Galway 1-1 to 1-0 up after a tough start.

Games evened out a bit now.

On another note.... Galway Bay FM.... :rolleyes:

Why do they constantly cut from Galway hurling and football games for some match that nobody bar friends and relatives care about?.

They've switched to some club Camogie game between Portumna and Ballyhale.
    Fair play to girls for being involved in sports, but nobody is tuning into GBFM to hear commentary of some Camogie game when the senior footballers are playing a game.

I always seem to find myself switching to the local radio station of the opponents where they generally stick to the match 100% while GBFM are giving updates on the ''U12 Craughwell girls football minor B final'' while an important game is going on.

Was the same during the FBD/Walsh Cup two weeks ago, switching to junior soccer cup updates and loads of other crap you're not tuning in for... must send them an email to complain :D

Another goal for Meath, and as I write this they nearly scored another one.

Meath could have had 5/6 goals in less than 25mins..... doesn't sound like much has changed in that regard since last season.

Mayo.... Tipp(could have had 3/4) nearly had a few.... gave a terrible one to Cork which cost us the game.

This sounds too exciting to be a League match. Have only heard Greg Higgins's name mentioned once for a brutal handpass.

WOW...

Amazing game here in Navan.

Martin goals and Galway take the lead into the break 2-6 to 2-4

Meath messed up ANOTHER goal chance just seconds before the Martin goal when the back fisted it off the post/bar and Galway broke.

Meath apparently had a clear cut peno waved away after a Galway score, Commentators reckoned since Meath broke so quick from the kickout the ref was too far behind so didn't see it.

Galway could have given away 8/9 goal chances..... commentators description that ''it looks like 7s football the way they're creating goal chances....its like they're only going for goal chances''.

Not long after Martins goal and Meath hit the post.
    In fairness though, Conroy also missed a goal chance and Martin missed a penalty just before HT.

That penalty miss could be crucial, keeps it at a two point game.

The defence sounds very worrying, it's just criminal to give up near 10 clear cut goal chances in one half of football.

Meath with 9 wides at HT, which includes one or two of the goal chances.

TOM FLYNN SCORES!!! A GOAL TOO!!!!!

• Advertisement

3-6 to 2-4... Flynn runs it from the off, 34seconds.

If we had that penalty the game could be over.

The 5/2 is looking smart now.

It was proved to be overpriced either way from here.

Have stalled now.

Lead cut down to 1 point, not looking good now.

Pure rubbish.

Down by two now.

Just ball after ball.... absolutely brutal stuff.

:mad:

Meath goal

One point second half and now trail by 6.

Kicked it straight out of play after their goal.

We sound even worse than last year..... there's two U21 winning teams in 3 years there, Mulholland needs to do better than this.

We could have been down by 20 at HT.

Classic Galway performance.

Roll over and let the opposition storm away.

See it far too much in Galway GAA.... throw away leads, no fight when behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Only heard the radio commentary but doesn't sound good. 3-18 is a whopping amount to concede and by the sounds of it Meath should have had about 3 more goals.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Only heard the radio commentary but doesn't sound good. 3-18 is a whopping amount to concede and by the sounds of it Meath should have had about 3 more goals.

3 more goals would be generous.

They could have had 8/9 in the first half alone.

The forwards seemed to be doing well enough with the little supply they were getting but the backs seemed to be headless again.
    You shouldn't be giving up more than 2/3 goal chances a game, gave up 3 in the first 2/3 mins today.

Why play Higgins if you're not using him at midfield?, by the sounds of things he was moved to CB. No disrespect to the lad but he's extremely limited as a footballer so you'd imagine unless you're aiming KO's at him and he's winning them, he has no place on the pitch otherwise.

By the sounds of things, the turning point was when Higgins kicked a stupid ball to a 40/60 which lead to Armstrong getting the black card. From there it was all Meath(in fairness its hard to say, but Concannon was fairly cat when he came on so it certainly didn't help)

It's sink or swim for both managers for me, both aren't getting enough out of their respective teams thus far.

There's more talent coming through for the footballers, while the hurlers have a better established base.

We seem to be playing at a D4 level in football which is certainly not a fair reflection of how things should be.
    Even during the barren years of 2002-2012 we had generally good league and while we fell to some poor teams the narrow was usually 1.

Could have lost to both Tipp and Waterford last year which just isn't acceptable and it was the MGMT tactics that cost us the Cork game IMO when like today after building a 5 point lead, we couldn't close the space in our half and slow the pace down.

I'd probably cut Cunningham next year unless he wins the AI, Mulholland has to a minimum progress the team further than last year or I'd ship him out too.

Anyone at the game in Navan?

This will be a tight division, and hard to predict. After next Sunday (where I'd expect a defeat) the remaining 5 games could all go either way. Certainly the games against Louth, Laois and Armagh are winnable, and that would be enough to stay up.

Donegal put up a tidy score against Laois (who'd be around the same level as us) so major defensive improvement will be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The first two games always looked very tough on paper. Away to Meath and at home to Donegal (who seem pretty serious about getting promotion judging by them picking almost full-strength sides). Lose both of those and it is a battle to stay up. Especially with Galway having 4 away games yet again this year. Galway would probably have to win 3 of the last 5 games to stay up I reckon.

What's the story with the 4 away games again BTW? Is it just how it works out after promotions/relegations?

• Advertisement

What's the story with the 4 away games again BTW? Is it just how it works out after promotions/relegations?

Think so. Bad for teams like Galway who have 4 away again but great for the sides that have 4 home games again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We (Donegal) are in the same position - four away this year and in 2013.

It goes in two year cycles - this year is the start of a new cycle, so both Donegal and Galway should have four home games next year. Then, in 2016, it will be a new cycle and we could have four home games again, followed by three home in 2017. Or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    We (Donegal) are in the same position - four away this year and in 2013.

It goes in two year cycles - this year is the start of a new cycle, so both Donegal and Galway should have four home games next year. Then, in 2016, it will be a new cycle and we could have four home games again, followed by three home in 2017. Or not....

See even the byes in Croker don't give two hoots about the League

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any team named yet lads? What kinda shape is Michael Meehan in?

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any team named yet lads? What kinda shape is Michael Meehan in?

Had surgery on his ankle again in November so he was due to miss the first 2 league games anyway. Maybe more.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Galway team named http://www.tribesmengaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1071:galway-team-vs-donegal&catid=92:team-news&Itemid=70&Itemid=53 click on the link for full team and photos.

1. Manus Breathnach, 2. Donal O'Neill, 3. Finian Hanley, 4. Johnny Duane, 5. Paul Varley, 6. Joss Moore, 7. Sean Denvir, 8. Greg Higgins, 9. Fiontain O'Curraoin, 10. Garry Sice, 11. Sean Armstrong, 12. Paul Conroy, 13. Shane Walsh, 14. Michael Martin, 15. James Kavanag

More or less the same team again?

Would have thought a re-shuffle in defence might be in order after the leakage last Sunday.

My lord...

If he puts out the same team again that gave up 10 goal chances in the first half alone then he's even more clueless than Cunningham was in last years league.

I'd nearly even give him 14 of them, but ffs what is Higgins doing in there again.
    I'd be embarrassed if I was on the bench and he was starting ahead of me.

Colm Keys wrote a report for the Meath game in the Indo, he seemed to give ratings at the end beside the players names(it wasn't clear, just a number stuck directly beside them without even a comma though it matched who did well) Higgins, out of everyone who played had nothing beside his.... fitting.

Well I don't like singling players out but I think at this stage everyone knows that Greg Higgins is far too slow and ponderous for intercounty football. Might get away with to a certain extent during the league in bad weather but he's not going to be any use during the Summer on harder grounds so might as well give someone else a go. You need to have a certain amount of mobility these days around the middle of the field. Teams are putting athletes around the middle that can get up and down the field and god love him but he's no athlete.

• Advertisement

Well I don't like singling players out but I think at this stage everyone knows that Greg Higgins is far too slow and ponderous for intercounty football. Might get away with to a certain extent during the league in bad weather but he's not going to be any use during the Summer on harder grounds so might as well give someone else a go. You need to have a certain amount of mobility these days around the middle of the field. Teams are putting athletes around the middle that can get up and down the field and god love him but he's no athlete.

I think the main problem is that Mulholland keeps compounding the issue by then moving him to CB.

Absolute lunacy.

TBH even as a straight up midfielder, his mobility isn't the biggest concern. He's extremely weak with the ball, has zero kicking skills and makes horrible decisions with the ball.

There are lads of his mobility playing county in midfield, but they're at least winning or breaking ball for team mates.
    He's not doing that either when playing there, and by moving him to CB it's just exposing all his weaknesses along with the mobility problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement