Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Leahy show axed

Options
  • 05-02-2014 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

The More Music Drive is to be axed, The show has been on air for seven years and Will didnt sound happy today, Ive been listening for several years and like his upbeat style and format, why dont they get rid of Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning ? Colm Hayes show has been crap l

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Disappointed for Will . Prob the only show on 2fm that does not annoy me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Wait - what?
    Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Source ?

Will Leahy Himself on this evenings show, agree he didn't sound too chuffed ...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

Absolute disgrace. One of the only things I still liked about 2fm was the use of regional studios that no other station can do - i.e. Breakfast from Galway, Will Leahy from Limerick, Michael Cahill from Cork etc... RTE2FM have obviously decided that their Dublin listeners are more important despite the fact that they have a much stronger listenership in Munster and Connaught. Although I preferred Will's show when he used to have interviews and live music, this latest move is too much for me - I'm off to TodayFM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Rock Solid wrote: »
    The More Music Drive is to be axed, The show has been on air for seven years and Will didnt sound happy today, Ive been listening for several years and like his upbeat style and format, why dont they get rid of Larry Gogan and Dave Fanning ? Colm Hayes show has been crap l
    Fanning and Gogan are moving to weekend slots also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

dr Golden wrote: »
    Fanning and Gogan are moving to weekend slots also

They dont know what they're doing in that station as Fanning & Gogan were already on w/ends before they got shifted to weekdays :o
    Wait - what?
    Source?

It was a shock when i saw a twitter link here & press release here

I haven't listened to Will Leahy in a long while, as someone else has Todayfm on in the background, but he wasn't the worst, i'd have moved that big ballbag that is Hayes to w/ends.

Its gonna be called now The Less Music Drive/More Drivel Show :(

Here's what the official 2fm facebook page says

It's a good thing Will has a side job as he was a solicitor before radio,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Horsetiger wrote: »
    Absolute disgrace. One of the only things I still liked about 2fm was the use of regional studios that no other station can do - i.e. Breakfast from Galway, Will Leahy from Limerick, Michael Cahill from Cork etc... RTE2FM have obviously decided that their Dublin listeners are more important despite the fact that they have a much stronger listenership in Munster and Connaught.

I don't see how the location of a studio makes a show any better.

If anything, having presenters scattered all over the country disrupts any semblance of continuity in a Station's schedule (although that does not appear to be something 2FM have any interest in).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Aww just saw it confirmed on FB.
    Disgusted to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 85,612 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I listen to the radio very rarely but if I do happen to be in the car at around 4:30 it's hands down Will Leahy I'd listen to. Absolutely shocking decision and I sure as hell will be keeping away from 2fm for the foreseeable future. Whatever is going on there is disgusting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I listen to the radio very rarely but if I do happen to be in the car at around 4:30 it's hands down Will Leahy I'd listen to. Absolutely shocking decision and I sure as hell will be keeping away from 2fm for the foreseeable future. Whatever is going on there is disgusting!

Wholeheartedly agree.
    Am very disappointed with the news.
    Today FM? Bleugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

Maybe RTE will think twice before Monday, If not there gonna loose listeners, I wont be tuning into Colm Hayes.Nicki Hayes was great and they got rid of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

So which one of the Donnybrook luvvies will take over?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭cena

Rock Solid wrote: »
    Maybe RTE will think twice before Monday, If not there gonna loose listeners, I wont be tuning into Colm Hayes.Nicki Hayes was great and they got rid of her.

Nicki Hayes was great. She a great radio voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Who will they get to count down to Friday now?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

So disappointed, love the Will Leahy show, always found it had the right mix of music and chat for the drive home from work. Made going to the gym after work a bit easier too being able to listen to it. Total opposite to the seriousness of Today FM show on at the same time. Never really listened to Colm Hayes so can't comment on what he'll be like, though can't see why they have to change it, if it isn't broke etc

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shabba man

I seldom read a thread where I agree with every poster, so this is a first. It's bad enough to be replaced, but to be replaced by Colm Hayes is a sure fire slap in the gob. I confess that in former years I quite enjoyed Hayes, but since joining 2FM, he has become a complete pain in the backside. The more Music Drive is the only show on 2FM that sounds anything like a National station show. Seems to be the lesser talented, white haired boy Hayes, has certainly endeared himself with the this wigs in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Just had a quick glance through the 2Fm Facebook page, hundreds of people posting in complaint about the Will Leahy show being axed, 2Fm could be losing alot of listeners it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Disgusted by this. Will Leahy is by far their most talented presenter. It looks like they are trying to cut out the regional broadcasting especially with the very Dublin-centric Colm Hayes taking over

People complain when 2fm don't make changes and people complain when they do ! People have been crying out for change at that station for years and now that its finally happening people moan about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Most of us would agree that the station needs radical change but I don think shipping their best presenter to the weekend is very constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Rabbo wrote: »
    especially with the very Dublin-centric Colm Hayes taking over

And his 'Man United' shyte.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

dr Golden wrote: »
    People complain when 2fm don't make changes and people complain when they do ! People have been crying out for change at that station for years and now that its finally happening people moan about it
    People moan about no change because most of 2fm's schedule before recent times was all over the place. Now people moan about change cos it's worse now. Drivetime was easily the best show on the station and it would have had much better listenership if it wasn't preceeded by the mess that has come before it for quite a long time. Colm Hayes is only going to make the situation because a) he's a very difficult person to listen to, b) he doesn't suit their target demographic and c) anyone who will put up with him pprobably won't like 2fm's music policy

Lets see how it goes but I can't see this ending well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I wonder if broadcasting from Limerick was an costing issue similar to Hector from Galway? It must have been costing money to run both studios every day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I think there are a lot more shows on 2FM that could have got the bullet before this one. I wasn't a big fan of the show but I didn't mind it either and would listen to it regularly. He sounded pissed. What's his ratings like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

What's the bets Will Leahy's weekend shows on Sat & Sun will be recorded?...like Damien Farallys "90s, 00s and Now" at that time on Sat.

If John Clarke's biggest jukebox is axed (which I hope will never happen!!) there will be even more anger amongst the listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

6781 wrote: »
    I think there are a lot more shows on 2FM that could have got the bullet before this one. I wasn't a big fan of the show but I didn't mind it either and would listen to it regularly. He sounded pissed. What's his ratings like?

very good ratings, prob the most popular show on 2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Rock Solid

I hope Wll and the people in RTE are reading this and Facebook posts, he only got notice today, same with Nicky Hayes she got a call after her show, we the licence payers should have some say in the running of RTE.

Nope, the top 5 shows on 2fm in 2013 were Tubridy, Colm Hayes, Hector, Fanning on Saturday, John Clarke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Definitely not, have a look at the attached.

Advertisement