Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Has anyone tried Glucophaze in addition to Chlomid? My pharmacist said they have seen a higher success rate in women who use both but I've never heard of anyone using it?

Has anyone had bad ovulation pains after a HSG? Had the HSG last week on day 8, now on day 13 and the pain is pretty bad, even yesterday was bad, really uncomfortable pain....

I've only ever read about it being used with women who have PCOS. Something about the body not ovulating when insulin levels are low.

Sorry, that's no help really! I must read up more on it. I know a few people on it for type 2 diabetes and it has a lot of side effects while it's flooding the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I've only ever read about it being used with women who have PCOS. Something about the body not ovulating when insulin levels are low.

Sorry, that's no help really! I must read up more on it. I know a few people on it for type 2 diabetes and it has a lot of side effects while it's flooding the system.

Ah no worries! I don't know must ask my Consultant in Feb when I go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Maybe she wasn't overly maternal, maybe it wasn't planned? Maybe because of her age she wasn't completely careful with contraception thinking it wouldn't happen easily at her age, maybe there was one accident with contraception and it just happened. Maybe she didn't feel the need for a child, and it is a surprise pregnancy. All possible, doesn't mean that she was bluffing all the time, entirely possible she didn't want kids but now that it's happened she's looking forward to it.

A year ago she was saying this:

http://www.independent.ie/woman/celeb-news/i-no-longer-feel-any-pressure-to-have-kids-says-maura-derrane-29070801.html

I read today in the Indo her saying that they're over the moon and this baby is ''perfect timing'' She always presents to the media that everything's wonderful. It was wonderful for her to be childless, now it's wonderful that she's expecting at 43. She doesn't need any Max Clifford, she's a pro! :-)

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    . It would help if we lived in Cork or Dublin & had better access to clinics. Tralee has one, but IVF would be referred to Dublin, & all that travelling just wouldn't be an option.

Ciarrai why wouldn't you do your IVF in Cork in the CFC? I would imagine that would be a lot closer than Dublin for ye?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Lucyfur wrote: »

glucophage helps with pcos, as far as my knowledge goes. I *think* sometimes its prescribed if weight is a potential factor hindering conception, but don't quote me!

• Advertisement

No doctor ever mentioned it to me, it was just the pharmacist, perhaps she didn't know it was for people with pcos.

Rang my doctor today for results of HSG and they still haven't faxed them from the hospital, I was told it was gona be done that day. After the HSG the guy who carried it out said everything seemed fine, what does that mean, is everything fine? I presumed it was, but would he say that if it wasn't fine

No doctor ever mentioned it to me, it was just the pharmacist, perhaps she didn't know it was for people with pcos.

Rang my doctor today for results of HSG and they still haven't faxed them from the hospital, I was told it was gona be done that day. After the HSG the guy who carried it out said everything seemed fine, what does that mean, is everything fine? I presumed it was, but would he say that if it wasn't fine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Lucuma wrote: »
    Ciarrai why wouldn't you do your IVF in Cork in the CFC? I would imagine that would be a lot closer than Dublin for ye?

its all the travelling up & down from Tralee for tests & appointments, its not easy when we are both running a business, we don't have the staff to keep covering us!
    I haven't been in touch with that clinic yet, but I'm avoiding going to another clinic & having to have all tests redone by them (which I'd assume would happen?).

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so unhappy about the IVF route that I'm making any excuse now not to even make an appointment! Someone I know made a comment to me once, that if I really wanted a baby that nothing would stop me...which I guess is true, but its easy for someone who has the money to do fertility treatment to say that! It also worked for this person first time, and its not always that way for everyone. I just need to get my head around it all first. Sickens me how much it all costs, even to see the consultant is €90, and I could be in with her for 10 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

its all the travelling up & down from Tralee for tests & appointments, its not easy when we are both running a business, we don't have the staff to keep covering us!
    I haven't been in touch with that clinic yet, but I'm avoiding going to another clinic & having to have all tests redone by them (which I'd assume would happen?).

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so unhappy about the IVF route that I'm making any excuse now not to even make an appointment! Someone I know made a comment to me once, that if I really wanted a baby that nothing would stop me...which I guess is true, but its easy for someone who has the money to do fertility treatment to say that! It also worked for this person first time, and its not always that way for everyone. I just need to get my head around it all first. Sickens me how much it all costs, even to see the consultant is €90, and I could be in with her for 10 mins!

Its a horrible situation to be in and a hard decision to make. Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees and is a big factor in the decision making if you don't have it.
    We were really lucky that we live in Galway and most of the time I could just pop out of work for a hour. Didn't have to lose a days pay or have a big commute to get there. Its tough enough going without that been thrown in.
    Don't mind anyone and their opinions. Even though we desperately wanted a child we decided from the start that we would only do 2 cycles. It was more the emotional impact than anything. We have happy lives, a baby would have been the icing but not at the cost of going through all that hardship. It didnt make us "want" a baby less.
    Our first cycle in July ended with one poor quality embryo to transfer. We knew that day that we had no hope. We had our second cycle in December and this time had 3 excellent quality embryos to transfer. We transfered 2 and froze one. We were really lucky and now am just over 10 weeks with twins.
    Even though we got the best outcome it will take me a long time to get over last year. Emotionally I can still cry just thinking about what we've been through.Financially we put alot of things on the long finger and now are trying to work through that. Yeah for us it was worth it but not always the case so you are to think it through. Only you know whats best for you.
    I seen in an earlier post you dismissed Napro. Don't know much about it but know the cost and appointments are much more spread out but you have to be willing to put in about 2 years and knowing theres alot to be done at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I don't think he would have said anything if it wasn't fine. That has certainly been my experience anyway!

Glucophage is used in pcos where there are weight issues associated. Otherwise there's no known benefit.

• Advertisement

No Cork accepted our semen analysis from Hari. They said we didn't have to get it redone. And I sent them all our other blood tests done by various GPs in Cork and Dublin and Europe and they accepted all of those except for one for my husband that was done in Europe (Hep B core antibody) they said legally for them the virus blood results have to be from within Ireland.

In fact the only thing that could lead to you having to pay for all the tests again is if you leave it for too long because they will accept them, but only if they're recent (not sure what the timeline is, 1-2 years I suppose?)

The first step with Cork is send them all your results thus far, they'll check them over, if all ok you go in for your initial consultation. That does cost 200 euro or something saucey like that....which is a sting but if you've all the test results sent in, in advance it should be a constructive meeting.

I totally understand your dread of IVF by the way. However although I hyperventilated a few times thinking about IVF I was willing to go through with it if I had to. I'd say it's the fact that you've been told you might have trouble with IVF that's putting you off, which given the cost, is completely understandable.
    However things don't always turn out the way the doctors or the tests predict. Miracles and unexpected things can and do happen in this crazy world of TTC!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No Cork accepted our semen analysis from Hari. They said we didn't have to get it redone. And I sent them all our other blood tests done by various GPs in Cork and Dublin and Europe and they accepted all of those except for one for my husband that was done in Europe (Hep B core antibody) they said legally for them the virus blood results have to be from within Ireland.

In fact the only thing that could lead to you having to pay for all the tests again is if you leave it for too long because they will accept them, but only if they're recent (not sure what the timeline is, 1-2 years I suppose?)

The first step with Cork is send them all your results thus far, they'll check them over, if all ok you go in for your initial consultation. That does cost 200 euro or something saucey like that....which is a sting but if you've all the test results sent in, in advance it should be a constructive meeting.

I totally understand your dread of IVF by the way. However although I hyperventilated a few times thinking about IVF I was willing to go through with it if I had to. I'd say it's the fact that you've been told you might have trouble with IVF that's putting you off, which given the cost, is completely understandable.
    However things don't always turn out the way the doctors or the tests predict. Miracles and unexpected things can and do happen in this crazy world of TTC!

I think I'd have to get all the tests done again as its over 2 years now since they were all done. I had decided to bascially try alternative therapies, such as Acupuncture, Arvigo Maya Massage (which I was told I may have a tilted uterus...great!) and most recently I have been doing reflexology. I thought I would have a great chance with these, I was really positive about it, especially reflexology as I'd read how successful it has been. But again, these all cost money and I can't keep forking out for them and still no results. I thought if anything, they would calm me down & relax me, which could lead to a pregnancy, but nothing as of yet.

I think my biggest thing is I'm letting my age get to me, and the fact I'm 37 is freaking me out. If I was in my early 30's I wouldn't feel so under pressure. I just need to accept that it will happen, regardless of my age. Ideally I wish I was 27 and had more time! I know when I was 27 though, I had no intentions of having a baby, and I only met my husband then too! You just don't realise in your 20's the problems you can have! Such is life I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

I don't have pcos and as Neyite said glucophage can be used where weight is a hinderance. My doctor told me to lose weight and said if it was an issue (as clomid can contribute to weight gain of course) that he would put me on glucophage too. it's also used for those with diabetes as my mam was on it at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

In total and absolute shock this morning.
    Period due today and messing around so took a clear blue pregnancy test.
    Apparently I am one to two weeks pregnant.
    That's a BFP.
    Keep looking at it in case it changes its mind.
    I can't believe it's actually happened.

Shocked totally. It's means I'm having a baby in October. !!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

That's fantastic news Penny!! Congratulations!! I remember a while back you saying that you were probably ttc at the wrong time of the month for quite a while - seems you definitely got the right time this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

That's brilliant news penny!! congratulations!!!

Thank you all so much. It is totally surreal.

Baby dust to absolutely everyone. I wish that for everyone so very much.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

jonah-hill-o.gif

Congrats Penny!! Wishing you a happy and safe pregnancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Congratulations Penny so happy for you x x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Congratulations Penny that's brilliant news xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Wonderful news Penny xx

That's fantastic news Penny, so happy for you! Theres hope for us all

Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 petalchild

Soo delighted for you Penny!! It really is nice when someone on here gets a BFP! Gives us all hope that someday our day will come!

Enjoy every minute of it Penny and try not to worry- this is your time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Been following this thread for 2 months reading of ppls woes. Got 4 positive tests yesterday one saying 2-3 weeks and 3 saying 1-2. Have to make sure. Docs appt for wed to confirm all. Also an oct baby. Hadn't sunk in yet.

Congrats to you too greenman!

In total and absolute shock this morning.
    Period due today and messing around so took a clear blue pregnancy test.
    Apparently I am one to two weeks pregnant.
    That's a BFP.
    Keep looking at it in case it changes its mind.
    I can't believe it's actually happened.

Penny D. I am over the moon for you!! I bet seeing that BFP was the best feeling ever! Oh huge congrats to your hubby and you....all the fretting, timing and obsessing was worth it in the end eh...
    ye hit the bullseye :-) :-)

p.s d first trimester sucks but don't worry your pretty little head about that right now !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Awww congrats Penny and Greenman!! I love seeing people getting positives :)

Penny D. I am over the moon for you!! I bet seeing that BFP was the best feeling ever! Oh huge congrats to your hubby and you....all the fretting, timing and obsessing was worth it in the end eh...
    ye hit the bullseye :-) :-)

p.s d first trimester sucks but don't worry your pretty little head about that right now !

Thank you. I got carried away and did about 4/5 tests!!
    Went to GP this evening and its confirmed. EDD Oct 8th eek!!!!
    Feel fine really. Tired and tender boobs but that's it. Actually a load of spots on my back too! Better there than on my face anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Thank you. I got carried away and did about 4/5 tests!!
    Went to GP this evening and its confirmed. EDD Oct 8th eek!!!!
    Feel fine really. Tired and tender boobs but that's it. Actually a load of spots on my back too! Better there than on my face anyway.

Congratulations penny. Great news!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement