Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

No
    From the Iona institute statement:

'We must also have a calm and reasonable debate about same-sex marriage and adoption'

They are not looking for a debate. They still believe this country is devoutly catholic and expect it to be legislated as such.
    They are relics who now come forward in an ingratiating way. Simply because they understand they don't have the power they once had to automatically instill their opinions onto the population. They try and speak as if in a position of weakness but have no intentions of ever allowing that to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    diddlybit wrote: »
    complaints@rte.ie if anyone else is shocked at how their €160 is being spent.
    Already sent an email.

I have never felt so much distrust in RTE. A terrible direction to be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

No
    Hey RTE, can I get some money the next time Iona defames me on air by saying I would be bad parent/am stealing marriage/etc?

No
    LookingFor wrote: »
    Hey RTE, can I get some money the next time Iona defames me on air by saying I would be bad parent/am stealing marriage/etc?
    That's the thing. It's a very one-sided stance RTE are taking, and it is going to give them so much hassle every time someone cries 'offended' on every discussion show they have on any controversial subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

No
    I'm uncomfortable bringing religion too far into this. There are plenty of people who identify as Catholic who are not homophobic. Painting all Catholics (or religious people generally) with the same brush isn't particularly fair. Even my 85 year old rural Spanish granny (and you can't get much more devoutly Catholic) felt gay people should be allowed marry. And on that point, assuming opinions based on age shouldn't be a factor either.

But I think aiming at the religious angle, although partially valid in some cases, might be obscuring the fact that some opposition to gay marriage is just down to ignorance and hate which has nothing to do with the person's particular religious beliefs. I sometimes feel like attacking an opinion for its religious basis is just as ignorant as the opposition's lack of rational argument. It's the easy way out these days. "Oh they're Catholic, well then don't need to pay attention to them eh?" No. It doesn't hold up.

I don't know. I guess I think all talk of religion should be excised from the debate and any and all leaflets and information the closer we get to a referendum. It shouldn't be relevant in a modern society that tries to separate church and state. This is supposed to be constitutional, not religious.

Though maybe I'm being an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's actually a huge impracticality with Irish (and British) defamation laws. They still treat electronic media as if they were print and see it all as 'publication'.

The concepts behind the laws originate in an era when the only form of 'broadcasting' was the dead-tree approach i.e. print media.

Anything in print, especially in the olden days when it had to be manually typeset, could reasonably be assumed to be a 'considered opinion' as it couldn't be produced hastily really and had to go through a lot of design and thought to get to the stage it's printed.

Electronic media (radio, TV, internet) is often live and you can't predict what people might say.

Also, with regard to online media, I think they forget sometimes that it's not really 'broadcasting' it's often more akin to uttering something in a pub.

I'd much rather see a situation like the USA where you've a guaranteed right to freedom of speech. We really don't have anything even approaching that in reality when the defamation laws come into play they can be used to stifle debate and limit investigative journalism.

I know journalists can go crazy in tabloid mode and do all sorts of damage too. But there's a sensible balance to be struck I think between things like making fair and heartfelt comment about something that you genuinely believe to be true on a TV or Radio show or even accidentally blurting something out in the heat of a debate vs someone printing something in a paper in a way that's calculated to cause problems.

I would hate to see this turning into a battle of lawyers and I would appeal to anyone involved in the debate not to do that. We need a proper, open debate and I think grown ups are just going to have to accept the odd bump and bruise in that debate too and be big enough to brush it off and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No
    Is the "institute" offended by this thread and poll?

That's the thing though. I don't think any of us can be 'offended'. This is going to be a heated debate and I think people are just going to have to roll with the punches on both sides.

That's the trouble with democracy - people don't always agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

No
    Firstly is the Saturday night show not live? If so how can RTE honestly be accountable for the opinions of a guest. I agree with panti's sentiment and RTE can take due care, but they can't be expected to control conversation. They rolled over here big time and in doing so they have shown themselves to be absolutely spineless.

The RTE presenter asked his guest to say who he thought were homophobes.

Rory didn't name them without being asked first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No
    mickstupp wrote: »
    I'm uncomfortable bringing religion too far into this. There are plenty of people who identify as Catholic who are not homophobic. Painting all Catholics (or religious people generally) with the same brush isn't particularly fair. Even my 85 year old rural Spanish granny (and you can't get much more devoutly Catholic) felt gay people should be allowed marry. And on that point, assuming opinions based on age shouldn't be a factor either.

But I think aiming at the religious angle, although partially valid in some cases, might be obscuring the fact that some opposition to gay marriage is just down to ignorance and hate which has nothing to do with the person's particular religious beliefs. I sometimes feel like attacking an opinion for its religious basis is just as ignorant as the opposition's lack of rational argument. It's the easy way out these days. "Oh they're Catholic, well then don't need to pay attention to them eh?" No. It doesn't hold up.

I don't know. I guess I think all talk of religion should be excised from the debate and any and all leaflets and information the closer we get to a referendum. It shouldn't be relevant in a modern society that tries to separate church and state. This is supposed to be constitutional, not religious.

You're not being an idiot at all, a lot of people who are religious disagree greatly with church doctrine, and there are also plenty of religious people who are LGBT, so it's not really a religion vs. gay people issue and they shouldn't really be at odds.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with the Iona Institute on many (possibly any) issue. However, I do think that it's serving a purpose by actually expressing an opinion in a coordinated way.

I think (based on opinion polling) the rest of us have public opinion supporting us and I think the key thing now is that the rest of us get a little more organised and ensure that the counter argument is presented at least as well as they are presenting their side of the debate.

Also with regard to funding, I'm 100% sure it could be pulled in for the counter argument too! There's no shortage of individuals and organisations on the other side of the argument who could help out!!

Despite all the talk about "liberal agendas" and "the gay lobby". It's actually not very organised at all in comparison.

I just hope the pro-same sex marriage side is capable of getting itself organised properly too.
    Coz we're up against some really seriously well put together organisations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

No
    I complained and got this back. Utterly frustrating.

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for your mail.

The interview about which a statement was made on The Saturday Night Show last Saturday night is the subject of legal complaints. We regret that for this reason RTÉ is not in a position to respond substantively to your mail.

Yours sincerely,

Maria Doogan
    RTÉ Broadcast Compliance

Unfortunately, though the response that they've given you is pretty much all they can give you. Their hands are totally tied in that regard.

If you want to make a formal complaint, the route to go is via the BAI, not RTE.
    http://www.bai.ie/?page_id=115

I would also suggest that you read the structure of previous complaints before sending one in. They publish them all online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

No
    mickstupp wrote: »

It is those opposed to same axe marriage that bring religion into te equation. Ideally we, as a society in the 21st century, would take each issue on its merits and with maturity decide what is correct for our society at a given time. However we are unable to do so as almost every issue get entangled in theocratic drivel.

There are a lot of people who identify as Catholics who are not opposed to gay marriage, so nobody can generalise. However it must be recognised that Christian teachings and those who are more fundamental about their beliefs use religion as the driving force behind their opposition.

What they don't understand is that they do not hold a monopoly on marriage. Monogamy existed and forms of what we could consider as being marriage in its earliest forms existed before Christianity. However in a power grab to assert their own beliefs as every bodies they are concerned about portraying their definition as untouchable and as if only they can decide its meaning.

Societies progress when they reevaluate important issues like this. Divorce and contraception not long ago were going to be the end of days in this country. We'll accept and move on from this issue and nothing except more people getting married will change.

As the joke goes, if gay people want to get married and be as miserable as the rest of us, then let them.

One thing I would be careful of (because we're English-speaking) is that we end up having a debate that's based on opinion polling in the United States instead of Ireland.

There's a large aspect of the US which is extremely conservative on these kinds of issues and I really don't think the same applies in Ireland anymore.
    The opinion polling done here shows quite widespread support for sam-sex marriage.

A lot of the rhetoric and debate that I am hearing is being taken straight out of the US debate and transplanted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    If you're upset at religion being brought into this, perhaps you could tell the Iona Institute to f*ck off every time they bring it up as an excuse to rag on gay people? If you're Catholic, they clearly think you're on their side. Show them that you're not.

No
    Sarky wrote: »
    If you're upset at religion being brought into this, perhaps you could tell the Iona Institute to f*ck off every time they bring it up as an excuse to rag on gay people? If you're Catholic, they clearly think you're on their side. Show them that you're not.

They don't bring religion into it at all. On that they're very clever about it. They don't bring polygamy into either in case some posts on her might make you think they do.

"Marriage is about a mummy and daddy and their natural children and nobody can replace that."

That's their argument.

You could drive an entire fleet of double-decker busses and a supertanker through that argument though!

I mean, what about couples who don't have kids either due to making that decision or because they just can't have kids. There are a lot of people out there who can't have kids or father kids due to medical conditions.

What about adopted kids?

What about single parents?

No
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    You could drive an entire fleet of double-decker busses and a supertanker through that argument though!

I mean, what about couples who don't have kids either due to making that decision or because they just can't have kids. There are a lot of people out there who can't have kids or father kids due to medical conditions.

What about adopted kids?

What about the baby Jesus? Born through surrogacy and had no kids of his own.

No
    SpaceTime wrote: »

What about adopted kids?

I remember one patronising Iona girl who pretty much said something like "One of my friends had a single parent and well she survived but you know just barely"

• Advertisement

No
    Sarky wrote: »
    Honestly, I consider Iona and religion to be separate entities. Iona use fundamentalist-style tactics and I don't think they accurately represent Catholicism, and I also don't believe they're doing it for the good of god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Honestly, I consider Iona and religion to be separate entities. Iona use fundamentalist-style tactics and I don't think they accurately represent Catholicism, and I also don't believe they're doing it for the good of god.

Well they mightn't represent catholics, but they do preach Church doctrine, alas.

No
    Nodin wrote: »
    Well they mightn't represent catholics, but they do preach Church doctrine, alas.

And one of their aims is the promotion of religion in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

No
    Sickened with RTE's apology...

Even more sickened about the smug Iona press release talking about how calling them what they are is a way to "shut down the debate" - fcuk that, equal rights isn't a matter of "debate"...

A bunch of backwards-ar$se theocrats living in a 1950's timewarp managed to use the threat of their lawyers to bully the national broadcaster - and it worked. Even the biased Brendan O'Connor had to choke out that apology and genuinely looked like he was about to break something while he was doing so - I actually felt sorry for him because I felt like breaking something too when I heard it!

The lack of balls over at Montrose disguists me!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Daith wrote: »
    I remember one patronising Iona girl who pretty much said something like "One of my friends had a single parent and well she survived but you know just barely"

I believe that during that particular debate she was representing "Catholic Comment", not the Iona Institute.

She has a twice-weekly phone-in radio show on Spirit Radio in Dublin (Tuesdays and Thursdays nights). I'm sure she would appreciate the 20% boost in audience figures brought about by your tuning in....

Details of "Catholic Comment" here, for anybody wishing to join...

No
    eorpach wrote: »
    I believe that during that particular debate she was representing "Catholic Comment", not the Iona Institute.

Having Catholic in the name seems even worse....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

No
    You mis read me it and took a cheap shot for some thanks. These threads always go the same way. There completely lob sided.
    Disagreeing with opening marriage to every kind of sexual relationship imaginable does not make you homophobic.

I love the inanimate object and animal argument! It always pops out sooner or later. If equal marriage is legal we will then have to legislate to allow people to marry their toaster/kettle/chicken. A wonderful example of rational thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I love the inanimate object and animal argument! It always pops out sooner or later. If equal marriage is legal we will then have to legislate to allow people to marry their toaster/kettle/chicken. A wonderful example of rational thought process.

I saw a charming lay person in the Sky News studio recently, commenting extensively on the passage of the Same Sex Marriage Bill in the UK. She expressed concern that the next step would be for her to be forced by the UK State into marrying her own son (you know, since she "loves" him and all).

She was wearing a huge gold religious medallion around her neck for the entire broadcast. I'm not sure what that was about really....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

No
    I'm absolutely fascinated as to what the results of the referendum will be.
    I think a lot of Irish people tend to be progressive towards more liberal views but the polls might become interesting when the debates raise the issue of two homosexual men or women raising a child.
    Still I'd be confidant that the majority will vote in favour of gay marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No
    I'm absolutely fascinated as to what the results of the referendum will be.
    I think a lot of Irish people tend to be progressive towards more liberal views but the polls might become interesting when the debates raise the issue of two homosexual men or women raising a child.
    Still I'd be confidant that the majority will vote in favour of gay marriage.
    Parents raising a child is nit relevant to the debate as government are going to legislate for thst before the referendum

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement