Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

I'd rather watch the league Game in our native tongue, that I may ad don't speak a word of, then have to try to listen to the TV3 commentators and usually the setantas ones aint much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Slattsy wrote: »
    Jason Whelan hit with 8 week ban.

Delighted for him, hope he never pulls on a Dubs shirt again.

Sadly i agree with ya. 8 weeks isn't enough either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Slattsy wrote: »
    Jason Whelan hit with 8 week ban.

Delighted for him, hope he never pulls on a Dubs shirt again.
    8 weeks is very low IMO, a year off would be more appropriate (or 6 months at least).

However, once the year is up and his time is served then I don't see why he couldn't redeem himself and win his place back on the team. He's a talented young lad, and he's made a very silly mistake. Everyone here has done something rash and stupid when they were young, and I don't think we'd like to be judged for the rest of our lives on one heat of the moment incident.

Its scummy, not to mention dangerous, but let him do (proper) time, and have a chance to win his place back IMO.

Jim Gavin will have a chance to see plenty other players throughout the league when Whelan is on the sidelines, so he might not make the panel this year anyway, with the strenght and depth in Dublin atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Could be not possible to ban the guy for more than 8 weeks, there's no specific rule for biting so they just have to try and fit it in under something else that might have an upper limit on ban length.

I think the guy should probably get another chance alright but barely. The slightest indiscretion in the future and have him out forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

8 weeks is definitely on the lenient side. It is refreshing to see the reaction of Dublin fans too, biting has no place in the GAA and if a Kildare player did the same I would like to see them dropped off the panel for a year at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It is refreshing to see the reaction of Dublin fans too, biting has no place in the GAA

Did you expect us to close ranks? You can't defend the indefensible and that's exactly what biting is. It's disgusting, dangerous and there is no place for it in any sport. I said it when the allegations came to light last year after Ballybofey, if found guilty the player should be dropped.

I don't want somebody who bites representing my county until he cops himself on and serves an appropriate punishment. 8 weeks is not long enough, it might be what the Leinster CCC thought could make stick or the max they could impose but the Dublin County Board can do a whole lot more and honestly I hope they do. Let him sit out the whole season for club & county and have a think about what madness made him bite an opponent, it's not the Colosseum and he's no gladiator.

If an example has to be made, let it be now. I don't want allegations to dog the team in the coming years because somebody hadn't the stones to discipline players when it started. 3 allegations in 3 years is bad enough, even if only one person has been found guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

For me biting is indefensible.

IMHO he should have got a minimum of a year, an example should have been made to ensure this kind of behaviour does not creep into our game.

If a player in my Club did something like that and it was proven, I would look for that Player to be giving a Lifetime Ban no matter how influential they are on the Pitch.

If in the future the Player looked for a Transfer I would block it on the basis that Biting is unacceptable and a Lifetime Ban was giving by the Club & hope the DCB would stand behind the Club and uphold the Block.

Did you expect us to close ranks? You can't defend the indefensible and that's exactly what biting is. It's disgusting, dangerous and there is no place for it in any sport. I said it when the allegations came to light last year after Ballybofey, if found guilty the player should be dropped.

I don't want somebody who bites representing my county until he cops himself on and serves an appropriate punishment. 8 weeks is not long enough, it might be what the Leinster CCC thought could make stick or the max they could impose but the Dublin County Board can do a whole lot more and honestly I hope they do. Let him sit out the whole season for club & county and have a think about what madness made him bite an opponent, it's not the Colosseum and he's no gladiator.

If an example has to be made, let it be now. I don't want allegations to dog the team in the coming years because somebody hadn't the stones to discipline players when it started. 3 allegations in 3 years is bad enough, even if only one person has been found guilty.

Whatever the findings, I think it's pretty obvious at least two out of the three were guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

8 weeks for biting by an inter-county player sends a terrible message in terms of a deterrent to others to act likewise.

Personally I would have no problem with any player found guilty of biting being given a lifetime ban from the GAA.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    8 weeks for biting by an inter-county player sends a terrible message in terms of a deterrent to others to act likewise.

Personally I would have no problem with any player found guilty of biting being given a lifetime ban from the GAA.

I think the message was sent out loud and clear by those behind the scenes for Dublin who, when the player involved was likely to be in the mix for the Championship panel, fought tooth and nail to keep the charges from sticking in each of the last two years. Laying the blame for not sending out a message at the CCCC's door is pretty unfair.

We all know the incident last season wasn't made up and I doubt too many people will take too long to figure out why McBrearty refused to turn up for the hearing. TBH I almost feel worse that Whelan has been offered up as a sacrificial lamb because he was unlikely to be involved in the summer time anyway.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I doubt too many people will take too long to figure out why McBrearty refused to turn up for the hearing

I'm in the minority so, because I can't figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

“At meetings subsequent to this episode, Central Council issue a directive that stipulated that such an action would be designed a Category III infraction, carrying a minimum suspension of eight weeks.

Just reading what Duffy said two days ago on the McB bite, and spotted this. Looks like Whelan got the lowest possible punishment.

http://www.thescore.ie/dublin-donegal-mcbrearty-bite-1274764-Jan2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You can add me to the list of people who think that the 8 week ban was far too lenient. I wouldn't have a problem at all if he never played for Dublin again. It breaks my heart that the good name of my county is being dragged thru the mud again, for the third shagging time, for the exact same incident. You'd think that after last years brouhaha in Donegal, this would be the last thing in the world that any of them would leave themselves open to being charged with. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Hyperbolic much?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Syferus wrote: »
    Hyperbolic much?

I've got to agree with this. A lifetime ban would be nonsensical. 8 weeks is too short. A six month ban seems more appropriate.

What he did was disgraceful, and is deserving of a severe punishment, but he's also a kid who made a mistake in the heat of a match. Biting is disgusting and should not be tolerated. However we can't forget that he's a young guy who lost the head in a match. Similar incidents (guys losing the head) will happen every weekend across the country in adult football between now and November, and most of them (hopefully) won't involve any biting.

At this stage the guy should serve his punishment and learn from the experience. It will probably cost him a chance of represent Dublin in the championship this year, so it's not as if he's getting away from this scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Dublinfan

James McCarthy Confirmed hes not fit for next weeks League Opener

That means Players Defiantly out Due to injury/Suspension and Club Games are: Bernard Brogan , Eoghan O'Gara , James McCarthy , Ger Brennan, Diarmuid Connelly , Paul Flynn
    Paddy Andrews And Dean Rock not Confirmed but still Thought to be injured

i expect we will see quite a few new faces next week with only one starting Half forward Ciaran Kilkenny and Paul Mannion the only Starting Full Forward Available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

Thats exactly what id expect you to do. Its certainly what Dublin did after Mcbrearty was bitten by a Dublin player. Your clown of a chairman first denied that Dublin were informed. Then when that was found to be untrue he claimed it was a "scratch" despite 2 medical reports. Didnt hear a peep out of jim gavin. Maybe you said something else at the time. Feel free to link if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

keane2097 wrote: »
    Whatever the findings, I think it's pretty obvious at least two out of the three were guilty.

3 out 3 actually. Guess Whelan is the fall guy cos hes not in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

8 weeks clearly not enough. It will be interesting to see what Jim does next. Very difficult situation to be in for a manager. It would of been interesting if this was Paul galvan or Ricey mcmenamin-I'd say it would be front page page news and they would of been calling for their heads. Look we all know things happen on a football pitch that are unsavory to say the least. Is this any worse than grabbing a players privates?? Any player at club level would of experienced this personally or had a teammate suffer this-happens up and down the country every Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Anybody know if the tickets for the 4 Spring series games can be collected together under the Parnell park pass scheme? I'll be in Ireland for Thursday so should make the Dorset street office on Friday. I'll be over for 3 of the 4 games but won't be in till Friday night the other 2 times. Would be nice to collect them all in one go this coming Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

harpsman wrote: »
    3 out 3 actually. Guess Whelan is the fall guy cos hes not in the team

Who was the 3rd?

Ahoy Ahoy wrote: »
    8 weeks clearly not enough. It will be interesting to see what Jim does next. Very difficult situation to be in for a manager. It would of been interesting if this was Paul galvan or Ricey mcmenamin-I'd say it would be front page page news and they would of been calling for their heads. Look we all know things happen on a football pitch that are unsavory to say the least. Is this any worse than grabbing a players privates?? Any player at club level would of experienced this personally or had a teammate suffer this-happens up and down the country every Sunday

Yes off course it is.

There's a risk of infection that results from a bite. You could pick up a number of blood infections from the individual.

So it makes it far more serious than grabbing a certain area or throwing a punch.

Anybody know if the tickets for the 4 Spring series games can be collected together under the Parnell park pass scheme? I'll be in Ireland for Thursday so should make the Dorset street office on Friday. I'll be over for 3 of the 4 games but won't be in till Friday night the other 2 times. Would be nice to collect them all in one go this coming Friday.

Yes, the 4 match package can be picked up in one go.
    Parnell Pass Holders can collect their 4 Match Package from Tuesday - Saturday in the ticket office. Please bring your pass with you.

Yes off course it is.

There's a risk of infection that results from a bite. You could pick up a number of blood infections from the individual.

So it makes it far more serious than grabbing a certain area or throwing a punch.

We aren't talking about a rabid dog here. He's a young man who in the heat of the moment made a stupid mistake-something he will have to deal with.....calling for a lifetime ban is wrong. Also, as we have seen one punch can kill, plenty of examples of the recent months outside nightclubs. I don't think we can separate certain unsavoury acts-they are as bad as each other. It's up to the GAA to come up with a suitable punishment AND EDUCATION to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Who was the 3rd?

Kevin O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yes, the 4 match package can be picked up in one go.

Brilliant. Thanks for that.

Ahoy Ahoy wrote: »
    We aren't talking about a rabid dog here. He's a young man who in the heat of the moment made a stupid mistake-something he will have to deal with.....calling for a lifetime ban is wrong. Also, as we have seen one punch can kill, plenty of examples of the recent months outside nightclubs. I don't think we can separate certain unsavoury acts-they are as bad as each other. It's up to the GAA to come up with a suitable punishment AND EDUCATION to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I never got into the debate of whether a life time ban was warranted.

All I made a comment on was you saying was it any worse than grabbing someones privates.

Off course it is, and for the reasons I listed above. The person doesn't have be akin to a diseased dog for the bite to be dangerous. If the individual has any blood conditions(HIV, HEP) then these can be passed if the skin is broken.
    He's most likely is clean but an individual should never be subjected to the risks.

I never got into the debate of whether a life time ban was warranted.

All I made a comment on was you saying was it any worse than grabbing someones privates.

Off course it is, and for the reasons I listed above. The person doesn't have be akin to a diseased dog for the bite to be dangerous. If the individual has any blood conditions(HIV, HEP) then these can be passed if the skin is broken.
    He's most likely is clean but an individual should never be subjected to the risks.

If a player has HIV or HEP do you honestly think he would be playing? Catch yourself on!!!!!! You commented on biting been worse than grabbing areas or throwing a punch. A punch can kill.....simple.

In what I assume is an effort to get a bigger audience and avoid a clash with the rugby, the GAA have moved the Walsh Cup final between Kilkenny and Dublin from Sunday at 2pm in Parnell Park to Croke Park on Saturday at 5pm, right before the Dublin/Kerry league opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement