Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ronjo

The stingey bastard!

Yep, he was still a few quid short and I am annoyed with myself for not forcing the issue more.
    I dont know him so well but will be avoiding that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

[QUOTE=Red Kev;88215973
    I don't get you. I never asked for all the booze, I got it the past few weeks as I quit two community groups that I was involved with for a long time. They are gifts from people.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I suppose it's fine. Just if it was me I would just say to the person I don't drink spirits but thanks for the consideration. Just let the person who bought the gift give it as a gift to someone who would use it instead of being polite. What's the point is all I would think in giving a gift from someone who gave it to you as a gift. Happened before to me before. Politely declined and was grateful but most people understood it would just be wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I don't get this.

If you get say, 6 bottles of wine as gifts at Christmas, and you don't drink wine, why NOT 'pay it forward', so to speak?

I just think if you know you don't drink spirits that much why not just tell the person giving it to you to save it and thanks for the sentiment. I have been in occasions with gifts like this. If I got a book I know I would not read I would look to return it. Same thing in my mind. Just let the person giving it to you not waste their money and give it to someone who will actually drink it. I'm sure they won't be hard done by if you say I don't drink the hard stuff etc. It happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

And no way is 4cm head the standard...:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well I think it was a typo, but 3-4cm head is a standard in some countries.

My parents bought me a Yankee candle for xmas.

I officially give up

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

czechlin wrote: »
    :eek:

You don't know the half of it it.
    I got a telescope when I was 9 and a chemistry set when I was 11.

No interest in any of my xmas presents for as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I honestly can't tell if this is a piss take :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I would've shat myself with excitement if I got one of them. I did get a microbiology set once though. Best year ever!!

Same here! :confused:

krustydoyle I'm a bit broke (as one is at this time of a year) but jaysus would I buy you something decent as a delayed Christmas present!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You sound like an ungrateful little shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Anyone know how to insert the eating popcorn picture when writing a post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

went to a friends wedding on the other side of the world. The venue was fabulous but the venue were only doing the basics in terms of setting the place up e.g. cutlery crockery etc which confused us as the bride and groom had sent us photos of all the elaborate decoration they had planned. Turned out the wedding party were being expected to do all of that for them.....on the morning of the wedding. Was up at 6am on the day of the wedding to spend 3-4 hours decorating the place based on photos he had given us to work off. (he and the bride were nowhere to be seen). At one point I was up a tree decorating it to plan. To be honest I wouldnt have minded helping them out at all BUT the night before they decided to host a barbecue on the premises and asked us all for €10 towards the food for it. Now given that we were in a country where you can get two decent steaks and a bottle of wine for about €10 in a supermarket I was a bit p*ssed off at handing over €20 to attend a barbecue with my partner where i got to handed one burger to eat and must had had two glasses of wine max especially when the trip over there to attend cost over 1.5k

I also worked with one lunatic who used to insist on re using tea bags!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

went to a friends wedding on the other side of the world. The venue was fabulous but the venue were only doing the basics in terms of setting the place up e.g. cutlery crockery etc which confused us as the bride and groom had sent us photos of all the elaborate decoration they had planned. Turned out the wedding party were being expected to do all of that for them.....on the morning of the wedding. Was up at 6am on the day of the wedding to spend 3-4 hours decorating the place based on photos he had given us to work off. (he and the bride were nowhere to be seen). At one point I was up a tree decorating it to plan. To be honest I wouldnt have minded helping them out at all BUT the night before they decided to host a barbecue on the premises and asked us all for €10 towards the food for it. Now given that we were in a country where you can get two decent steaks and a bottle of wine for about €10 in a supermarket I was a bit p*ssed off at handing over €20 to attend a barbecue with my partner where i got to handed one burger to eat and must had had two glasses of wine max especially when the trip over there to attend cost over 1.5k

Wow. Would have told them to shove it tbh. If you want to throw a lavish shindig, you better be able to afford it without demanding cash out of your guests, let alone getting them to do the decorations! They sound like a couple of weirdos.

Same here! :confused:
    krustydoyle I'm a bit broke (as one is at this time of a year) but jaysus would I buy you something decent as a delayed Christmas present!
    SV wrote: »
    You sound like an ungrateful little shít.

I know what you all mean but im not taking the piss, and im not ungrateful . Just annoyed that im the easiest person in the world to buy for yet they have never got my xmas present right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm guessing your folks wanted you to be a sceintist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I know what you all mean but im not taking the piss, and im not ungrateful . Just annoyed that im the easiest person in the world to buy for yet they have never got my xmas present right.

Eh, you're clearly not :confused:

amdublin wrote: »
    Eh, you're clearly not :confused:

Ah I am though. But you'd know that if you knew me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

P_1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing your folks wanted you to be a sceintist

Or just give him a a sense of wonder at the universe or feed his creqtivity ?

Neither of which he seems to have had.

Probably wanted a PS3 instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Pique wrote: »

Could be a she...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

My cousins were related to a notorious stingebag.
    He passed away in the mid-ninties.
    His sister, an elderly lady, asked our cousins dad to clear out the house, a rundown country cottage and said he could take what he wanted.

Now the man's sister assumed given his simplistic lifestyle (think scrooge-like/crying chair furnishings) that there wouldn't be much to claim anyway.

His dad went about his business and under the fireplace grate he found notes.
    Old, musty, bank Notes dating from the 50's.

Delighted and curious, he proceeded over the weekend to uncover cash hidden in a variety of novelty places. Hollows in the walls covered with wallpaper, buried in biscuit boxes in the back garden, stuffed up door frames, stair bannisters stuffed to the brim etc.

All told, he found over 20k in Irish bank notes. Not an insignificant sum.
    It was like going on winning streak minus the shame. :)

This is why I don't get this type of stinge.

The old man clearly held on to every penny, but he never enjoyed it... :o

I feel sorry for him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Pique wrote: »

Because he didn't enjoy two terrible presents he has no sense of wonder or creativity, how? Ever seen toy story, see how kids can be creative with toys also? Things that a child may enjoy?

He doesn't sound ungrateful, he just didn't like those presents which he is allowed to say right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Using a crisp bag as a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Like that's going to happen/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Like that's going to happen/work.

You sound as if you are interested in it as a cheap snack/contraception alternative. ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You sound as if you are interested in it as a cheap snack/contraception alternative. ;D

I rather eat my own mickey than wrap it in salt and vinegar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I've heard some horror stories of what's expected of wedding parties (especially bridesmaids) in other parts of the world. A very, very serious commitment of time, money and energy from a long way out - organising parties, dinners, etc, etc.

Total BS. Get married, have a nice party. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The original flavoured johnny. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Ah it's been awhile since i've visited this thread !!!!
    Well as some may know , my in laws are from a place that lets just say would make Cavanese people look like big spenders.
    So parents in law go on a holiday last summer for the 1st time in years.
    To save (as in pay NOTHING) they borrow their sons camper van* - fair enough, it's nice to camp.
    They drive to Switzerland and spend about a week there.
    Now you would think they would at least stay at a campsite to avail of all the facilities , but no wait !! that would cost some money !!!
    So they just park at the edge of some street and sleep there.
    But it's probably a nice camper van like a Winnebago ? - Nope, a converted hi-ace with on a shelf mattress ****ed in the back.

But with all this money saved surely a nice few restaurants would be visited ? - Nope brought/bought bread + sandwich making foods.

Unreal .

They are in their 60's ... and have a lot of savings - hmmm I wonder why ?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, in fairness to them they are very generous when we visit - will put us up and family and feed us untill we are stuffed,
    but f*ck I wish they would treat themselves properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ah it's been awhile since i've visited this thread !!!!
    Well as some may know , my in laws are from a place that lets just say would make Cavanese people look like big spenders.
    So parents in law go on a holiday last summer for the 1st time in years.
    To save (as in pay NOTHING) they borrow their sons camper van* - fair enough, it's nice to camp.
    They drive to Switzerland and spend about a week there.
    Now you would think they would at least stay at a campsite to avail of all the facilities , but no wait !! that would cost some money !!!
    So they just park at the edge of some street and sleep there.
    But it's probably a nice camper van like a Winnebago ? - Nope, a converted hi-ace with on a shelf mattress ****ed in the back.

But with all this money saved surely a nice few restaurants would be visited ? - Nope brought/bought bread + sandwich making foods.

Unreal .

They are in their 60's ... and have a lot of savings - hmmm I wonder why ?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway, in fairness to them they are very generous when we visit - will put us up and family and feed us untill we are stuffed,
    but f*ck I wish they would treat themselves properly.
    Now in fairness dining out in Switzerland can be quite expensive (I had a 28 euro burger and chip last year) but that's taking the piss. I've gone there to a self catering apartment for the last few years and I've managed to mix the dine in/out ratio well enough so that the whole holiday costs no more than half board in a much cheaper country like Austria or Slovenia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement