Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The English magazines' tip pages are great for the oul stingy tales.

This woman said her eight-year-old daughter wanted a Barbie's bath for Christmas and apparently the ones in the shop was too expensive at £15 so the mother made a bath herself from an old shoebox.

I say "made"; she literally painted a shoebox pink and put a Barbie doll in it.
    Tight or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

fussyonion wrote: »

This woman said her eight-year-old daughter wanted a Barbie's bath for Christmas and apparently the ones in the shop was too expensive at £15 so the mother made a bath herself from an old shoebox.

Tight or what.

When I was a kid I really badly wanted a buggy for my doll but my mam couldn't afford one so painted a shoebox pink and white and stuck wheels from my brothers old toy car on it, she even made handles on it from a wire coat hanger! Was my favorite toy for ages, always appreciated the effort she put into it ^.^ In my mam's case it wasn't stinge though, it was just being flat broke!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

My old mate from Edinburgh got a Brazil top for Christmas when he was a young lad.
    He found out twenty years later that his mum had knitted it for him. Yes, knitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Tight or what.

Yes I saw one where it said you can make a great "pillow" out of the inside packet of a winebox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes I saw one where it said you can make a great "pillow" out of the inside packet of a winebox

I saw that!

I also saw a tip where a woman said she couldn't afford a new pair of slippers so she made some with sanitary towels.
    I really am not joking. There was a picture attached to the tip too.
    The. Shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I know a married couple, both have very good jobs, house in ireland and villa in Spain, both paid for, no kids etc, basically very comfortable. They go to the cinema, hand their tickets to the guy on the way in to the screens and watch the movie they paid for. Then they go watch another one , ie they don't come back out to the foyer thus avoiding buying another two tickets. They have lots of other 'money saving' tricks too. No wonder they don't have money worries. Very nice people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

7 or 8 French tourists came into a bar Connemara.

They removed all their coats and settled near the fire and began enjoying the live music that was provided.

They bought a single Irish coffee between them and passed it around. They stayed for an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

My old mate from Edinburgh got a Brazil top for Christmas when he was a young lad.
    He found out twenty years later that his mum had knitted it for him. Yes, knitted.

That's the best kind of present. Handmade, well made, personal and thoughtful.

Nothing stinge about that at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I saw that!

I also saw a tip where a woman said she couldn't afford a new pair of slippers so she made some with sanitary towels.
    I really am not joking. There was a picture attached to the tip too.
    The. Shame.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone/25-astonishingly-useless-tips-found-in-womens-magazines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My brain is stuck in a loop

How? <==> WTF?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Roanmore wrote: »
    Don't know what to say about number 22 :eek:
    Title of one of the links on that Buzzfeed page

This Video Of A Little Boy Stuck In A Bucket Will Break Your Heart

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't call that stingey at all. Between the length of time it took to make it and the cost of wool it could well have been more expensive than just buying a top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aaronwright88

I once lived with a 24 year old Serbian man in oz.I don't even know where to begin.He would regularly sign up to different gyms within a 30km radius but heres the thing, he would sign up at the start of the month,get the most out of that month and when the time would come for the money to be deducted from his account he would transfer all his money to his savings acc.He did this with around 20 gyms in the time he was there.

He also would visit one of the hostels he used to stay in,buy one beer from the bar and then make his way to the kitchen and rob about two bags of food from the people who are staying there(would do this nearly everyweek).He would tell me that back home he didn't mind being on the dole(never has worked in Ireland)would do a day or two per week working for his father.He had no bills too pay, mammy and daddy paid for his food,rent,gym membership,petrol,clothes EVERYTHING.His daddy had a Mercedes a 2002 c class and would never shut up about it.Then i saw he put a pic up of it up on fb saying "just got this for 4500 well worth it" as if he paid for daddys car the tight horrible swine.

kylith wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that stingey at all. Between the length of time it took to make it and the cost of wool it could well have been more expensive than just buying a top.
    Unless you got the wool from unravelling a jumper you got at a charity shop ;)

But still crafting takes dedication.

I know of someone who got a got an expensive brand name jumper as a present and tried to take it back to the shop. To cut a long story short that didn't work because someone had sown an expensive label on a cheap jumper they'd got elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I know of someone who got a got an expensive brand name jumper as a present and tried to take it back to the shop. To cut a long story short that didn't work because someone had sown an expensive label on a cheap jumper they'd got elsewhere.
    But if they had a reciept and the label was on it, doesn't that mean that the gifter kept the nice top for themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That's true, I suppose, but hats off to anyone who would knit with the super-thin yarn that factory made jumpers use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

A girl I used to know in school was fairly tight, it wasn't a case of being broke as they didn't have a mortgage on the house as they'd inherited it and her Dad had a well paid job. When we got our Junior Cert results we all went out for dinner in a restaurant. She came along but had her dinner beforehand so was 'too full' and had a bowl of soup instead. You think you'd enjoy a meal on that one occasion, with all your other friends like. Just one of many cost cutting measures I remember from over the years. Well she's now got a mortgage on her first house, in her mid-twenties, so the tightness paid off it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

i heard of a couple getting married on a farm, so if the guests threw rice the chickens would be fed

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

A girl I used to know in school was fairly tight, it wasn't a case of being broke as they didn't have a mortgage on the house as they'd inherited it and her Dad had a well paid job. When we got our Junior Cert results we all went out for dinner in a restaurant. She came along but had her dinner beforehand so was 'too full' and had a bowl of soup instead. You think you'd enjoy a meal on that one occasion, with all your other friends like. Just one of many cost cutting measures I remember from over the years. Well she's now got a mortgage on her first house, in her mid-twenties, so the tightness paid off it seems!

I think it can often be unfair to call young people (still in school, no part-time job, answer to their parents) stingy. I had a weekend job while I was in school and I was glad of it because before that I relied on my parents, and they certainly weren't giving me £20 every Saturday to go into town!! I'm not saying my parents were stingy, but instead of doling out the children's allowance to us every week they saved it in the Credit Union and handed it to us when we needed it the most, the college years!

Perhaps your friend's parents just didn't give her any pocket money. Or she was saving it for concert tickets and clothes, which is what I used to do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Butterface wrote: »
    I think it can often be unfair to call young people (still in school, no part-time job, answer to their parents) stingy. I had a weekend job while I was in school and I was glad of it because before that I relied on my parents, and they certainly weren't giving me £20 every Saturday to go into town!! I'm not saying my parents were stingy, but instead of doling out the children's allowance to us every week they saved it in the Credit Union and handed it to us when we needed it the most, the college years!

Perhaps your friend's parents just didn't give her any pocket money. Or she was saving it for concert tickets and clothes, which is what I used to do!

There is also the possibility that she didn't have dinner at her house and had a bowl of soup because she was weight concious I know a lot of girls when I was that age would of been thinking along those lines but they'd never say that was the reason.

Still she may have been stingy I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

juniord wrote: »
    i heard of a couple getting married on a farm, so if the guests threw rice the chickens would be fed

Ara bollix, I'd say that's made up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

LOL! You've been harbouring that one for a while!

Not the poor girls fault if her parents wouldn't giver her money, even if they had it (I've no idea how you can be sure they did).

She may well be stingy, but none of what you have said indicates anything other than your own pettiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I wouldn't of let her away with that, just because she was old, she was still a thief.

:rolleyes: Wow aren't you so great :rolleyes:. Also, wouldn't HAVE.

Another story of stinge.

A woman I used work with was the secretary of her local GAA club. The club lotto was rolling over for months and months. I think it got to about €10k. her 8 year old nephew won it. Rather than be delighted for him, she was horrified. "Sure what good is it to him" etc. Now, she was more than happy to take his €2 for the ticket.

Now, what the kid did do with it was take his mother and brother and aforementioned aunt to Eurodisney for 2 days and a day in Paris. A nice thing to do I thought.

Then she came back a few days later, we asked her how she got on to which the reply

"for fúcks sake, we are brought all the way over there and not even a drink was bought for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

gimmick wrote: »

"for fúcks sake, we are brought all the way over there and not even a drink was bought for me".

What a sad and petty woman.

And that kid sounds like a ledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I imagine a woollen football jersey is poxy warm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Interesting that you felt as a teen that you knew all about your friend's family finances. You must have heard a lot of speculation around the dinner table as to who all in your town was loaded but had it all hidden in a mattress.

Now that you are older you probably know that kind of speculation is usually wrong and frequently triggered by jealousy and spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Interesting that you felt as a teen that you knew all about your friend's family finances. You must have heard a lot of speculation around the dinner table as to who all in your town was loaded but had it all hidden in a mattress.

Now that you are older you probably know that kind of speculation is usually wrong and frequently triggered by jealousy and spite.

I mean, the cheek of her, having buckets of money yet orders the soup instead of the fois gras stuffed lobster, like a peasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Butterface wrote: »

Perhaps her parents were well aware of the shenanigans that many get up to when "celebrating" the Junior Cert, and deliberately made sure they didn't give her enough money for a booze fest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And maybe the family had a family dinner at home to celebrate and she had no control over it :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement