Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confiscating Free Travel Passes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A Bus Eireann driver told me recently that fair few OAPs bording buses dont show their pass either deliberately or just too lazy to dig it out of bag etc. They just pat their hand to their chest in a gesture of "I have it in my pocket". They're known as "titty tappers"

You would probably find in a lot of cases they don't actually have a pass on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

IMHO the only people that should qualify for a FTP are those on a qualifying Disability or Illness payment and OAPs. Giving them to all the others is another relic of the Bertie Ahern Spend,Spend,Spend era:(.

What other categories are they issued to besides those on old age, disability or illness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

bmaxi wrote: »
    What other categories are they issued to besides those on old age, disability or illness?

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/How-do-I-qualify-for-free-travel.aspx

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    The yellow band pass are no longer valid but are still in use by some. .

When did that happen, do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »

Interesting. Not a huge amount of people in those categories I would imagine who would not qualify in the near future for a pass in their own right though.
    I think the fraudulent use is a much bigger issue and like most other things, the deterrent fine is much too little.

As an invalid, I have a yellow band pass. It has no expiry date and I have not been advised that it is no longer valid or that it is being withdrawn, nor have I been issued with any replacement.

A Bus Eireann driver told me recently that fair few OAPs bording buses dont show their pass either deliberately or just too lazy to dig it out of bag etc. They just pat their hand to their chest in a gesture of "I have it in my pocket". They're known as "titty tappers"
    And this driver lets them board without seeing their pass?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    And this driver lets them board without seeing their pass?

A lot of them don't display passes just tap there pocket or bag

Happens across CIE

As an invalid, I have a yellow band pass. It has no expiry date and I have not been advised that it is no longer valid or that it is being withdrawn, nor have I been issued with any replacement.
    The colours to distinguish between different sections of people entitled to free travel have been deemed discriminatory especially on the grounds of age so all passes issued after a certain date have a red stripe only. all other passes are still valid but if they require replacement they will be replaced with the new red striped pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

When did that happen, do you have a link?

begining of the year some time.

Gatling wrote: »
    A lot of them don't display passes just tap there pocket or bag

Happens across CIE
    So the drivers allow people on buses without showing a pass? What if they don't have their pass because some relative has taken it to get to and from work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

AlekSmart wrote: »
    When I am referring to "Canteen Gossip" in my postings Foggy,I tend to make that clear.

In the case of the new DSP documentation,the final operational arrangements across the CIE group companies are in the final stages of implementation.

As I say,until the end of Q1 2014,there will be no change in current DSP arrangements,after this,with the enabling of the respective software, DSP Customers will see some changes to how they use their Pass.

Expect official announcements closer to the respective dates of operation,however,as the pace of replacement pass issuing remains painfully slow,this may prove to be a lengthy process indeed.
    Where is this information from though? Can you link to or otherwise provide the source?
    The yellow band pass are no longer valid but are still in use by some.
    Where is this information from? Can you link to or otherwise provide the source?

All well and good till an inspector boards the bus.

They rarely do which has added to the problem

Of greater interest to me,is the (so far) very grey area of what the policy is on withdrawing the old cardboard passes,if I was cynical I would be thinking that the DSP itself might not wish too much light being shone into this particular dark corner.

The very notion of actually CHANGING stuff rapidly gives these people the vapours....that's why they require salary Top-Up's ;)

I've seen media reports about a number of different public sector bodies whose senior management have salary top-ups, but this is the first time I've noticed any allegations about senior DSP personnel. Perhaps I just missed the media reports. Could you post a link? Do you have names?

On the face of it, this is all about making sure that transport companies and taxpayers are not being ripped off, and that free travel benefits are only going to people who are genuinely entitled to them. What reasonable person would object to that?

begining of the year some time.

Is there an official statement declaring them to be no longer valid? I could see this leading to embarrassing confrontations if some bus drivers consider them invalid. I haven't used mine in quite some time as it is not always convenient to do so but I would imagine there would have to be an official document declaring them invalid rather than word of mouth, especially if, as Foggy Lad has said, this is not the case.

Is there an official statement declaring them to be no longer valid? I could see this leading to embarrassing confrontations if some bus drivers consider them invalid. I haven't used mine in quite some time as it is not always convenient to do so but I would imagine there would have to be an official document declaring them invalid rather than word of mouth, especially if, as Foggy Lad has said, this is not the case.
    Until it is backed up by fact/official statement/press release it is nothing more than canteen gossip to me. and any staff member confiscating a pass on such spurious grounds should IMO be held personally liable along with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Im sure there are more interesting things to talk about in a canteen foggy. A call to the social will give the official word on it if anyone is unsure. Id say keep using any pass until told otherwise by the social.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The yellow band pass are no longer valid but are still in use by some. Ive seen some passes that have a date on them but im not sure which ones. There is a lot of ignorance regarding the companion,pass with people giving it to sons and daughters to use and then moan when it gets confiscated saying that they didnt know .

Just for clarity,Hilly Bill, All legitimately held Free Passes remain fully valid,regardless of the Colour identifier. Buff,Blue and Red are ALL valid and will remain so,until the DSP FT Card issue process is complete.

The target figure for new DSP Services Card issues is 200 Per Week,Per DSP Local Area,this figure is for the Blue logo'd General Services Card,which includes a percentage of Cards with the Gold FT Logo and software compatibility activated.

As there is a requirement for ALL new DSP Services Cards to have a significantly higher level of identity verification,similar to the new Driving Licence process,it follows that the roll-out will be of some considerable duration.

Additionally,and importantly all DSP FT Card's WILL have an expiry date,which I understand,will be 2 years from each date of issue,a factor which will,of itself,reduce misuse and fraud by a significant amount.

As the Issue process has just commenced,and the initial period will see NO change to the FT Scheme's operation,I do not intend to engage with Foggy_Lad's confrontational desires.

Suffice to say,each recipient of the New FT Card,will be fully appraised of the revised issuance and usage procedures well in advance of their introduction.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, I've just had to clear up a chunk of this thread.

Two points everyone should know by now.

1) Leave the moderation to the Mods. If you have an issue with a post, report it, don't take it up on thread
    2) Don't reply to others taking things into their own hands. Report it, ignore it. By responding, you then begin to drag threads off into a whole other direction. Show some moderation yourselves, and save us a job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just for clarity,Hilly Bill, All legitimately held Free Passes remain fully valid,regardless of the Colour identifier. Buff,Blue and Red are ALL valid and will remain so,until the DSP FT Card issue process is complete.

The target figure for new DSP Services Card issues is 200 Per Week,Per DSP Local Area,this figure is for the Blue logo'd General Services Card,which includes a percentage of Cards with the Gold FT Logo and software compatibility activated.

As there is a requirement for ALL new DSP Services Cards to have a significantly higher level of identity verification,similar to the new Driving Licence process,it follows that the roll-out will be of some considerable duration.

Additionally,and importantly all DSP FT Card's WILL have an expiry date,which I understand,will be 2 years from each date of issue,a factor which will,of itself,reduce misuse and fraud by a significant amount.

As the Issue process has just commenced,and the initial period will see NO change to the FT Scheme's operation,I do not intend to engage with Foggy_Lad's confrontational desires.

Suffice to say,each recipient of the New FT Card,will be fully appraised of the revised issuance and usage procedures well in advance of their introduction.

Good post. Well said

This approach makes a lot more sense but is it still the case that DSP cards will not be verified by on board machines, i.e. will it still be a flash to the driver? If so, I think this is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This approach makes a lot more sense but is it still the case that DSP cards will not be verified by on board machines, i.e. will it still be a flash to the driver? If so, I think this is a mistake.
    At least it will have a photo.

Although one wonders if someone will take a marker to their card.

Victor wrote: »
    At least it will have a photo.

Although one wonders if someone will take a marker to their card.

In my experience, DB drivers pay little or no heed to the pass or to who is carrying it, I doubt this will change with the new passes. Onboard verification is the way to go although as far as I know the powers that be haven't even managed that with the Leap card.
    Huge money paid out for barely functioning programmes seems to be the norm in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

In my experience, DB drivers pay little or no heed to the pass or to who is carrying it, I doubt this will change with the new passes. Onboard verification is the way to go although as far as I know the powers that be haven't even managed that with the Leap card.
    Huge money paid out for barely functioning programmes seems to be the norm in the PS.

Go back to Alek's original post above:
    Initially (until end of Q1 2014) the new card will be used in "Flash" mode,as is current practice.

However from c.April,Irish Rail and it appears Dublin Bus will require FT Card holders to Validate their FT Card on each journey.

Those with a pass endorsed P (Personal) can validate at either the remote or Drivers machine on Bus usage.

However those with a Card endorsed "S" or "C" will have to do so at the Drivers machine and obtain a travel ticket for their spouse/companion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

No pass,no travel!!!!or else pay the fare!!!i wouldnt care how old the person is,if you claim to have a bus pass then prove it there and then otherwise tough luck!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My pass is a wreck, it is 4 years old and went through the wash on the third day it was issued to me and has been gradually falling apart since, everytime I use it I expect it to be rejected, I now no longer live at the address listed on it so I will be applying for a new one when I get sorted out with housing and hope to get one of the plastic ones instead.

I hope they change the eligibility of passes and only issue them to those who truly need them not the current free for all I'm entitled to crowds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

nice to see some effort being made to cut down on fraud
    but will only work if the drivers are prepared to fully enforce it, which I doubt looking at the current number of the "I have a pass" gang that drivers allow to walk straight past them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement