Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The A/R Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Up de Dubs ! -:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

belcarra wrote: »
    You talking about our Minor team? Victory on the Dubble!:D

Hi Belcarra :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Been there!
    poster-3_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Yes, that's true regarding this year. So, how clever really is that of the backroom team? I suppose I still can't see what the fuss is about the supposed genius of the training regime.

I also have to question this. I mean, most people know about the importance of programming and also the importance of an easy cycle and also how to focus hard training to peak for a certain period in a season. Whether it be running, cycling or GAA, you need a period to let the stresses of the full on competition season recover. The thinking here seems to be HTFU to a degree that the talent in the team burn out very quickly with hard training 100% of the time. The "genius" of their training regime was only ever going to last for a year or two.
    I wonder how much influence Jimmy really has over at Celtic in terms of the performance coaching?
    Presumably none. I think his strength lays elsewhere. Moneyball springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ha - off topicish

4a9513c832898000ee596eff38b9dcd4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

^ Classic ^.

Guess which guy/gal on the start line, finished in 1,700th place:
    1384117_10151788707876374_755905627_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

^ Classic ^.

Is it a guy wearing a Girls number? :rolleyes:
    Edit, I think have the wrong number, but no doubt the same guy...yes the guy with the hat...

Well, Brian Maher didn't even finish ;)

edit: yer man even has his name on his vest, how do the starters even let him get up there!

edit 2: I can spot KC from the shine from his orange vest on his face. No joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

^ Classic ^.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1384117_10151788707876374_755905627_n.jpg

I cringed! I didn't think that could happen though - do you not need to have an elite number to get into that section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

^ Classic ^.

I remember overtaking him somewhere around mile 17. He looked knackered.

^ Classic ^.

In te same vein (I know it's different for the gardai runners etc :rolleyes:) how many of these do you think finished ahead of the 3hr pacers?

1459300_10151788708091374_53168801_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The Gardai had 6 sub 3 hr finishers, and many more under 3.30. Not all ran under the Garda AC title but for a job thats associated with eating doughnuts and sitting on there fat arse its not bad.

tang1 wrote: »
    The Gardai had 6 sub 3 hr finishers, and many more under 3.30. Not all ran under the Garda AC title but for a job thats associated with eating doughnuts and sitting on there fat arse its not bad.

No it's not bad and I am not saying it is; but similar to Charity runners getting up the front of pens I think it is not a good idea to set them all off at the front. Like if we are going to complain about your man in the previous pic (who finished sub 3;30 and ran the first half in sub 3 pace) then it would be hypoctricial not to point out and entire group of runners doing the same.

Agree that they shouldn't be anywhere near the front of the race at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

menoscemo wrote: »
    No it's not bad and I am not saying it is; but similar to Charity runners getting up the front of pens I think it is not a good idea to set them all off at the front. Like if we are going to complain about your man in the previous pic (who finished sub 3;30 and ran the first half in sub 3 pace) then it would be hypoctricial not to point out and entire group of runners doing the same.

I think if anything it is actually demoralising for the people themselves. The amount of garda runners I passed in the first 3-4 miles was crazy.

It's not a nice experience to be passed out by hundreds for the first few miles of the race. Would be better off if the individuals started in the correct areas and ran with those of the same pace from the very start. Much better for even the individual IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

In te same vein (I know it's different for the gardai runners etc :rolleyes:) how many of these do you think finished ahead of the 3hr pacers?

1459300_10151788708091374_53168801_n.jpg

Thats my brother in the cap in the middle! I'll be reporting the lot of ye!

In fairness, as blockic says, most of them do feel awkward at the front.

Spit of you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice running short on running.

Spit of you :D

I was just going to say ''now I see it"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

We get the 40 navy running 4-5 abreast in formation in BHAA races in Cork. They do start near to the back but must be hard to pass out if your behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

blockic wrote: »
    I think if anything it is actually demoralising for the people themselves. The amount of garda runners I passed in the first 3-4 miles was crazy.

It's not a nice experience to be passed out by hundreds for the first few miles of the race. Would be better off if the individuals started in the correct areas and ran with those of the same pace from the very start. Much better for even the individual IMO.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of it for the moment and just to focus on the experience.

I started at the front of a mass race a couple of years (Bath half marathon) because my club got free entry for an elite team and the better runners in the club had either already entered or weren't running. I knew that I was going to be swamped at the start so I postitioned myself to the side and took off at my own pace. I duly got passed out by hundreds at the start but it didn't bother me in the slightest because I knew that I wasn't at the front because of any personal achievement. When it settled down after a few miles I was able to start picking off runners and passed 35 people from the 10k point on finishing in 406th place for an 8 min pb and about 2 mins faster than I realistically thought I could do.

My point is that starting at the front doesn't have to be demoralising even if you have no business (as I hadn't) being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Well, in that case the Gardai should definitely start the marathon well behind in future, to make it more realistic. After all, they are unlikely ever to get a head start on jewellery thieves.

Well, in that case the Gardai should definitely start the marathon well behind in future, to make it more realistic. After all, they are unlikely ever to get a head start on jewellery thieves.

That's what Special Branch are for...

That's what Special Branch are for...

Oh there Special alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

I haven't read the original paper, but this confirms some of my uninformed opinions: Nutrition research must overcome pseudoscientific measures and self-interest

Meanwhile over in After Hours and the discussion on "Is endurance exercise really good for us?"
    Any of my parents friends that partook in jogging, running themselves ragged on threadmills and cycling stationary bikes, in a foolish attempt at getting "fit".. all died
    I think this is something along the lines, your heart only has "x" amount of beats and when their used up, you die?

Hence why over doing the cardio is bad or something.
    Too much cardio damages your body, just look at the state of most long distance runners compared to 100m sprinters.
    Yep. Humans are the endurance kings of the animal world
    I'm doubting that. I took the dog for a walk there and I was waay more knackered than it was after a couple of miles.

I'd bet that humans only went chasing food all day when there were no easier alternatives, we ain't dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Meanwhile over in After Hours and the discussion on "Is endurance exercise really good for us?"

Called After hours for a reason!!

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic, but the ultra race, Across the years, is heading for a crazy finish. This year, they extended it to six days.

With four hours left, there's only 7 miles between first and second, Joe Fejes on 545.9 miles and Yiannis Kouros on 538.5.

http://www.aravaiparunning.com/ultracast/

Advertisement