Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

The Verge are reporting that the 16gb nexus 4 will no longer be sold on the US play store from Monday.

Looking good for the n5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Seems the UK are sold out of 8GB Nexus 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

https://twitter.com/2degreesmobile/status/380106309900587008

From the 2 Degrees mobile network in New Zealand

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was just reading some of the articles about leaked benchmarks for the N5 which show it far ahead of the GS4, and also ahead of the LG G2, with slightly better scores than the 5S as well. Obviously all unofficial, but good to see that this will be a top end phone. Hopefully they will keep to the same level of pricing as well, although obviously that will mean it will be harder to get a hold of for a while.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/nexus-5-smashes-galaxy-s4-in-leaked-benchmarks-1184107?src=rss&attr=all

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57604768-1/nexus-5-could-be-the-new-android-phone-to-beat/

http://bgr.com/2013/09/26/nexus-5-benchmark-tests-leak/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

So anyone know how this device is looking for 4g LTE use over here?
    wondering if it will work with 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone able to predict the length of time between announcement and onsale.

The OH lost her HTC one last night in town (almost certainly stolen, as it was removed from bag with cash - small but visible crack in the top right hand corner of the screen if anyone sees it around).

She's uninsured and locked into contract, it seems a Nexus device is the cheapest way to continue enjoying a contract with a premium phone, but I'd like to wait until 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone able to predict the length of time between announcement and onsale.

The OH lost her HTC one last night in town (almost certainly stolen, as it was removed from bag with cash - small but visible crack in the top right hand corner of the screen if anyone sees it around).

She's uninsured and locked into contract, it seems a Nexus device is the cheapest way to continue enjoying a contract with a premium phone, but I'd like to wait until 5?

For the most part they come out early November, but it might be hard to get a hold of for a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

What price do we expect this to be?

What price was the nexus 4 when it was first released and was it released on the google play store as unlocked or was it only on contract from carriers first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tinie wrote: »
    What price do we expect this to be?

What price was the nexus 4 when it was first released and was it released on the google play store as unlocked or was it only on contract from carriers first?

It was never on contract, as far as I know. Always sim-free from Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

It was never on contract, as far as I know. Always sim-free from Google.

Correct indeed

The galaxy nexus was available on carrier but came sim free.

Nexus 4 was only via play store. I'd be surprised if the 5 differed to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The N4 was available from carriers too though at a higher price. It was in the UK anyway, not sure if it ever made it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

S4 or N5.... #firstworldproblems !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Stuxnet wrote: »
    S4 or N5.... #firstworldproblems !

all ill say is im dumping my S4 for a Nexus 5 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

projectgtr wrote: »
    all ill say is im dumping my S4 for a Nexus 5 ;)

Smaller form factor than n4 but bigger screen??
    Sweeeeeet! Can't wait.
    I put vanilla 4.3 onto my s2 just to try and get used to the nexus experience :)

Gokei wrote: »
    Smaller form factor than n4 but bigger screen??
    Sweeeeeet! Can't wait.
    I put vanilla 4.3 onto my s2 just to try and get used to the nexus experience :)

Are the dimensions confirmed? Is it really smaller than the Nexus 4?

*Edit:

Yes indeed it is..
    original_zpsc1529329.jpg

From what some sites are saying, they fill (pad out) info in the pdf files with stuff from the old pdf until the final draft. Also explains why it says DDR2 and Bluetooth 3 while also saying 800 CPU (that only uses DDR3.. I suppose as they could be lifted from the nexus 4
    (hmm nexus 4 has bluetooth 4 if i'm not mistaken..)

They could of switched to a 16 x 9 not x 10 aspect ratio as with the current N4..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Some speculation that Google may continue with the Nexus 4 name and not call it the Nexus 5.
    Similar to what they did with the Nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They can't really go down the incremental naming route anyhow due to the N7 and N10. I think you might be right with that, and it might be N5 this year and then on until the next name change strategy, although I'd like some differentiation in all of them, even if it was the use of A, B, C etc for each iteration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

5starpool wrote: »
    They can't really go down the incremental naming route anyhow due to the N7 and N10. I think you might be right with that, and it might be N5 this year and then on until the next name change strategy, although I'd like some differentiation in all of them, even if it was the use of A, B, C etc for each iteration.

Also don't forget the Tyrell Corporation Nexus-6 models in Blade Runner... it *could* be a copyrighted name (or whatever the terminology is - intellectual property rights?) .... so we may never see one called that.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

MBSnr wrote: »
    Also don't forget the Tyrell Corporation Nexus-6 models in Blade Runner... it *could* be a copyrighted name (or whatever the terminology is - intellectual property rights?) .... so we may never see one called that.. :D

I was thinking more along the lines of once Google get to Nexus 6 we are all doomed!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

My poor HTC One X is on its last legs, running the latest radio but have terrible reception issues. I'd say it was dropped one too many times!

Have a serious hankering for a Z1 but I would love the stock android experience so I think I'm going to hold out for the Nexus 5

Im taking everything i hear with a pinch of salt but :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

"PhoneArena reports the 16GB LG Nexus 5, with a 2,300mAh battery, will cost just $299 (£185). Meanwhile the 32GB model has a 3,000mAh battery and will cost $399 (£247)"

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/google-nexus-5-rumoured-price-is-just-185-50012442/

Hmm can't see them putting a 3000 battery in one model and 2300 in the other.
    Still price sounds good but get the feeling it will be closer to 300 pounds for the 32gb

LOL but would love to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

xtal191 wrote: »

So I'd wager something like £349 for 16gb and £399 for 32gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭adocholiday

My brother is going to New York for a trip in November. I'm hoping the nexus 5 will be out by then. Question: Will a phone bought over there work here? I'm thinking with the dollar and all it would work out at a fantastic deal if it will be compatible

My brother is going to New York for a trip in November. I'm hoping the nexus 5 will be out by then. Question: Will a phone bought over there work here? I'm thinking with the dollar and all it would work out at a fantastic deal if it will be compatible

Be very careful I've been reading that there will be a EU model running a different band for 4G to the US version. On the other hand I'm taking everything with a pinch of salt but I'd keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Should be perfectly fine, see the spec from the leaked manual.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5-5705.php

Advertisement