Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Main InterUrbans, what the government called the M1/6/7/8/9 when they were being pushed up until 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The old N9 into Carlow from the Kk side has rightly gone back up to 100kmh. Presumably a very sensible decision from the council as it was always 100kmh before the M9 opened with far more traffic. Also good ad the mobile speed camera tends to live on this stretch! Also limit up to 80 kmh outside the Dolmen too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

road_high wrote: »
    The old N9 into Carlow from the Kk side has rightly gone back up to 100kmh. Presumably a very sensible decision from the council as it was always 100kmh before the M9 opened with far more traffic. Also good ad the mobile speed camera tends to live on this stretch! Also limit up to 80 kmh outside the Dolmen too.

That's great news.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was a passenger in a friend's car driving Northbound along the M9 between the Balitore/Athy and Kilcullen junctions this evening when a maniac in a black Volvo coupe overtook us IN THE HARD SHOULDER doing about 110 mph - our car literally shook as he passed us, we didnt see it appriach from behind and he very nearly clipped/hit us. :-o

Needless to say, I rang the Gardai in Naas and the told me they already had reports of this car - must gave been criminals in some sort of getaway or joyriding. Unbelievably dangerous driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

reading this week in the Kilkenny people, that plans for a motorway service station have been lodged with Kilkenny county council, its to be located near paulstown co Kilkenny, hopefully this will happen

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »
    reading this week in the Kilkenny people, that plans for a motorway service station have been lodged with Kilkenny county council, its to be located near paulstown co Kilkenny, hopefully this will happen

The M9 badly needs one. All the other MIU's have one or two now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

road_high wrote: »
    The M9 badly needs one. All the other MIU's have one or two now.
    Would agree with this.

Used the M9 as far as south Carlow a week ago for the first time since it opened in 2010. At a layby, two lads had gotten out of a car and were running up the embankment to take a piddle on the far side.

Not sure if it was because it was a Saturday afternoon on a fine weekend but was surprised at the amount of traffic. It was very busy as far as Carlow. Is it always like that?

Didn't see any crazy driving myself though.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Would agree with this.

Used the M9 as far as south Carlow a week ago for the first time since it opened in 2010. At a layby, two lads had gotten out of a car and were running up the embankment to take a piddle on the far side.

Not sure if it was because it was a Saturday afternoon on a fine weekend but was surprised at the amount of traffic. It was very busy as far as Carlow. Is it always like that?

Didn't see any crazy driving myself though.

No that would be typical I'd say. Traffic volumes are greatest to Carlow and then on again between Carlow and Kk. I am on it a lot and always remark how busier it seems than others I use regularly like the M7 between Borris in Ossary and Limerick, and the M11 around Gorey. Both seem empty some days in comparison.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The M9 is busy from Carlow to Dublin. The Kilkenny - Waterford section is much quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I use the m9 all the time, its getting busier by the day, even the lower south Kilkenny section, I don't know why?:confused:

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The M9 is busy from Carlow to Dublin. The Kilkenny - Waterford section is much quieter.

I dunno, I don't use it south of KK very often but I do find it picks up again south of Danesfort to take account of KK-Waterford traffic. Far busier than the old N9/N10 ever were I would think. The atrocious quality of the old road discouraged trade and traffic to a great extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Yes I've noticed that too. Even the toll on the Waterford Bypass appears busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

MetalMan9 wrote: »
    Yes I've noticed that too. Even the toll on the Waterford Bypass appears busier.

The new roundabout on the quays has pushed a lot of HGV's out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DeiseforLiam

Can't say I've noticed extra HGVs on the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

linny wrote: »

For the benefit of everyone else, this is the PP request for a Motorway Service Area at (I think) J7. From the maps and description it looks like there will be access to offline traffic as well.

https://www.google.ie/maps?q=52.679582,-7.034819&num=1&t=m&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

hi5 wrote: »
    I use the m9 all the time, its getting busier by the day, even the lower south Kilkenny section, I don't know why?:confused:

Traffic usually peaks around this time of the year across the country because of tourists, day trips, back to school shopping etc.

Great to see the service area happening, its a good location on the M9 around half way mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Great to see the service area happening, its a good location on the M9 around half way mark.

I would never think of stopping on such a short journey. I wonder how many people would?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I would never think of stopping on such a short journey. I wonder how many people would?

I take it you don't have children.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What's the story with all these new signs on the motorway, every few hundered meters you get a small square sign with letters and numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭rameire

These are called Driver Location Signs. they're to assist in locating broken down cars or accidents.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057011123

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good to have a petrol stop, if nothing else, halfway along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

This isn't an online service station as such, in that it's proposed to be situated off the motorway adjacent to the R448-M9 slip road.

It's not far off, but it is off, with no direct access to the M9 carriageways.

There's a farm in the site right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

fricatus wrote: »
    I take it you don't have children.
    or a pregnant wife who has a baby pushing down on her bladder!

Of you are on a cross country journey and you are already 2+hours on the road and could do with a break which isn't possible anywhere on the M50 or south of Dublin.
    (arguably with the exception of the Citywest Topaz, but even it has only about a dozen parking spaces so far from adequate to be honest)

This isn't an online service station as such, in that it's proposed to be situated off the motorway adjacent to the R448-M9 slip road.

It's not far off, but it is off, with no direct access to the M9 carriageways.

There's a farm in the site right now.

come on, its more less is, not all motorway service stations have direct links to the motorway. Have you travelled in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That's not actually a farm, its a sandblasting business.
    If there is an entrance off the motorway slip road, then you could access the service area without encountering any traffic other than motorway traffic, that's close enough to online for me.
    mapofm9servicearea_zps41ad1f0a.png

Topaz announced a new motorway services on M9 at Junction 5. Work expected to begin next summer. We go from years of nothing to two at once.

Can't see two together going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Topaz announced a new motorway services on M9 at Junction 5. Work expected to begin next summer. We go from years of nothing to two at once.

Can't see two together going to work.
    Indo says planning application has been submitted for Carlow so nothing definite yet. Could be interesting.
    http://www.independent.ie/incoming/topaz-to-create-100-new-jobs-at-two-new-service-stations-29624406.html

• Advertisement

Indo says planning application has been submitted for Carlow so nothing definite yet. Could be interesting.
    http://www.independent.ie/incoming/topaz-to-create-100-new-jobs-at-two-new-service-stations-29624406.html

CEO has said they don't expect any problems with the application and expect to be given the go ahead. I can't see why it would be rejected.

Advertisement