Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Updated via Flashtool at the weekend.
    I wiped everything so it’s a factory reset really and I reinstalled any apps I had (actually found I only installed about 75% of what I had before as some stuff was a nice to have but really didn’t need them – well so far anyway!)

Thoughts so far and what I have noticed:

• Lock screen is ok – I wish I could add more to it (like missed calls or texts etc) other than the shortcut to music and camera
    • Dedicated camera button works sometimes – (see above on lockscreen why do we need 2 ways of getting at the camera from a locked phone?)
    • Camera and effects are pretty cool
    • Camera seems more responsive
    • I like the additional video record button on the camera screen – means you can go straight to record video from the camera
    • Haven’t noticed any lag on camera or video
    • Battery seems good – will know more after a few more days use
    • I hate the white background on call and message screen.
    • Still won’t clear recently searched numbers on dial pad when you close out of dial pad which means I have to manually delete each time I open dial pad
    • Screen shuts off when on a call and not on speaker – prox sensor seems to not really work
    • Camera screen goes black on a few occasions requiring reboot
    • Nice and smooth no real lag (yet anyway!)
    • toggles in notification bar could be better – need more options
    • 3 party keyboard Swiftkey changes back to standard xperia keyboard randomly
    • Chrome seems to hang a lot – I haven’t tried stock browser
    • Unread count on Text Message icon will not clear – I need to reboot to clear it.

So really its not bad at all – way better than ICS as I was having major issues with that build. I will reserve judgement for another while until I get a good few weeks out of JB and really see what its like.

However I am a bit peeved in the way that Sony say that they hold back updates until they have everything working perfectly – this phone is about 6 months behind other flagship phones that got JB and even with this late release of a year old OS its still riddled with bugs. People talking of Video lag and Wi-Fi issues to name but a few and there is a .211 release coming soon by the looks of things so hopefully that will fix things once and for all

Sony you have made a bit of a pigs ear of this really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tui0hcg wrote: »
    • Still won’t clear recently searched numbers on dial pad when you close out of dial pad which means I have to manually delete each time I open dial pad

if you exit phone/dial pad with the back button instead of the home button it clears them

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you exit phone/dial pad with the back button instead of the home button it clears them

That's an option alright. But what if I tap in a number and then dial someone? It switches to the contact and then back to home when I hang up. When I go back to the dial pad next time the numbers are still in there. :-(

Another thing I have noticed is that it won't clear out of SMS messages correctly either if you don't exit via the back button.
    Example is.... I open SMS from the icon on home screen. Read the SMS and then click on the contacts details at the top of the screen to call them. Hang up and next time I get an SMS I go to click the SMS icon and it brings me back to the last screen as in the contacts details instead of going to the new unread SMS

That's an option alright. But what if I tap in a number and then dial someone? It switches to the contact and then back to home when I hang up. When I go back to the dial pad next time the numbers are still in there. :-(

Does this happen if you don't get connected?

I tried there now & it goes back to the dialpad after I hang up

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any of ye still using the XS? Setting mine up for the girlfriend but cant .211 to root.

Anyone managed to get dooms kit to work?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Any of ye still using the XS? Setting mine up for the girlfriend but cant .211 to root.

Anyone managed to get dooms kit to work?

This? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2327473

I haven't used that, I flashed the pre-rooted 211
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2320184

Yeah, thats it.

Was going to use the prerooted version but then that requires CWM, and on a locked bootloader that needs .200 rooted+busybox, which AFAIK I cant root.

Locked BL's are the biggest load of arse btw.

Yeah, thats it.

Was going to use the prerooted version but then that requires CWM, and on a locked bootloader that needs .200 rooted+busybox, which AFAIK I cant root.

Locked BL's are the biggest load of arse btw.

The threads on XDA are a bit of a mess aren't they, hard to find issues at times but yours is probably there somewhere

If it's still on ICS, .45 or >, it's easy to root & install CWM then flash the pre-rooted .211 all with locked BL

You'd know yourself, it takes longer reading a bit of the thread & d'loading stuff than to do all the rest

There's a thread with all the links in it, I'll post it you want, didn't now as I'm on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Have this phone and absolutely love it! However I had plenty of problems with it at the start.

For two weeks it randomly decided to not want to turn on anymore. The WiFi wouldn't work. And it occasionally shut down by itself.

So I brought it into Meteor and they took it away for a while, as they do, and fixed it up and every since it's been a wonderful phone to have. With WiFi it is literally the best thing since sliced bread.

So if anyone has any questions about it for me, as I've had it for over a year now I'd happily help.

The threads on XDA are a bit of a mess aren't they, hard to find issues at times but yours is probably there somewhere

If it's still on ICS, .45 or >, it's easy to root & install CWM then flash the pre-rooted .211 all with locked BL

You'd know yourself, it takes longer reading a bit of the thread & d'loading stuff than to do all the rest

There's a thread with all the links in it, I'll post it you want, didn't now as I'm on the phone

Thats what I worked out might be easiest on my way into work today, think I have all the files I need already on that machine so I'm going to give that a shot now.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Got it.

Flashed .50 ICS
    Root with this http://www.androidgadgematic.com/2012/09/root-sony-xperia-s-lt26-android-404.html
    CWM from here http://www.androidgadgematic.com/2012/10/install-clockworkmod-recovery-for-sony-xperia-s-lt26i.html
    Then flash prerooted 211.

Boom. Running. Lovely. Gf is moving from a Neo V to this, wont know what hit her.

A guy in work has the Z, and now I'm tempted to move back to Sony, but my GS3 is just a better daily driver.

Got it.

Flashed .50 ICS
    Root with this http://www.androidgadgematic.com/2012/09/root-sony-xperia-s-lt26-android-404.html
    CWM from here http://www.androidgadgematic.com/2012/10/install-clockworkmod-recovery-for-sony-xperia-s-lt26i.html
    Then flash prerooted 211.

Boom. Running. Lovely. Gf is moving from a Neo V to this, wont know what hit her.

A guy in work has the Z, and now I'm tempted to move back to Sony, but my GS3 is just a better daily driver.
    What is .211 like compared to .200?
    I find battery getting a big hit and Video jumpy and WiFi signal seems poor on .200
    Is .211 worth upgrading to or should we wait for a better update from Sony (if it ever arrives)

What is .211 like compared to .200?
    I find battery getting a big hit and Video jumpy and WiFi signal seems poor on .200
    Is .211 worth upgrading to or should we wait for a better update from Sony (if it ever arrives)

GF using it so hard to tell. She's not as analytical as myself.

Viber and Skype malfunction hugely on transmitted sound, but regular calls are fine. Only bug she's found.

I have .200
    and I am finding Google Hangouts and Skype are unusable - keep dropping out and sound is terrible. Volume button only works sometimes. notifications are a bit dodgy on many apps (work sometimes and no notification other times) Video recording is atrocious

Its really just another crap update (if you can call it that) from Sony

I don't know why I thought it would be better as this phone has been a poor purchase from day 1 but I have 2 months left on contract and can't wait to get out of this Sony hell.

I dont believe their newer top end phones will fare any better and as I am not prepared to root and flash or whatever I will never go near a Sony anything again.

I will live in hope that they come out with a better update in the coming weeks but I really cant wait to get another phone as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I got one today free on a upgrade from O2. Not sure I want to keep it as I love my iphone4s. What is there to change my mind.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I got one today free on a upgrade from O2. Not sure I want to keep it as I love my iphone4s. What is there to change my mind.

Nothing. Wouldn't bother. S is nothing but a disappointment imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Ops suppose to post this in the Sony Xperia Z thread. My bad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 4.1 patch (6.2.B.1.96) appeared for Meteor this evening. Doubt the phone is ever going to get another update beyond this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Anyone know if it can be unlocked for free? My mate has it and tried to get unlock code off o2 as he wants to switch to 48 but they won't give him unlock code..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭flazio

MYOB wrote: »
    The 4.1 patch (6.2.B.1.96) appeared for Meteor this evening. Doubt the phone is ever going to get another update beyond this.
    More then the CPW Vodafone ones ever got, :( Will never et a 3rd party exclusive phone ever again, the count down to my next upgrade (next Summer) begins. (The phone is also Flash proof, I looked into it)

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    More then the CPW Vodafone ones ever got, :( Will never et a 3rd party exclusive phone ever again, the count down to my next upgrade (next Summer) begins. (The phone is also Flash proof, I looked into it)

what are you on?

you could flash it yourself to the latest

i'm not getting one from a carrier again either, f that locked bootloader crap & waiting ages for updates

I used Flashtool to update ages ago (mid August) and I got mine in CPW. On the Meteor Network - have you tried to do it via Flashtool?

Rumors of support for older devices in the upcoming KitKat
    So maybe Xperia S will be able to get this too

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/506197/20130916/android-4-kitkat-confirmed-older-devices-support.htm

I used Flashtool to update ages ago (mid August) and I got mine in CPW. On the Meteor Network - have you tried to do it via Flashtool?

I think the bottom line means it won't work.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35734192@N04/9818967795/

I think the bottom line means it won't work.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35734192@N04/9818967795/

that means you can't flash custom ROMs (not based on stock)

you can flash the latest sony FW

that means you can't flash custom ROMs (not based on stock)

you can flash the latest sony FW
    By the normal methods? (i.e. PC companion and device?) Because both of these insist that 2.3.7 is the latest available application/system update or can you use Flashtool to install new Sony FW?

By the normal methods? (i.e. PC companion and device?) Because both of these insist that 2.3.7 is the latest available application/system update or can you use Flashtool to install new Sony FW?

yeah, also try the update service http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/tools/update-service/ instead of PC companion if you prefer doing it that way

otherwise you can use flashtool, fw here http://d-h.st/e0a
    and if you want to root after http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2417672

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just bought this phone today second hand. It's on 4.12 already but there's a good bit of sony apps on it that I don't want. Anyone got recommendations for the best custom ROMs for this phone?

Just bought this phone today second hand. It's on 4.12 already but there's a good bit of sony apps on it that I don't want. Anyone got recommendations for the best custom ROMs for this phone?

Bootloader locked or no? That'll change your options a fair bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Bootloader locked or no? That'll change your options a fair bit.

Haven't quite figured that out yet. I'm guessing its locked tho

Edit: Just checked it's locked. Gonna get the Sim lock unlocked and then do the bootloader I think

Advertisement