Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Great event no complaints at all food stops & water stops were excellent,
    Big thanks to the volunteers and supporters on the road,
    Spotted one oul lad pulled in at the side of the road with welcome to Waterford typed on a A4 page stuck to the back window of his car. Not sure what even made me see that.........
    Rolling time 6:40 so I'll spend the next year wondering were I went wrong but hills did me in,
    Had it in my head only 1400m climbing??? I have 2173m on the Garmin this morning.
    Bumped into nomoregears enjoy the recovery lad.
    Oh and a hello to the Kerry school teachers I was with for the uphills.....First victory for the dubs lets hope Sunday will be the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Great event overall. I'm living in Co. Watterford and when I got back on the bike late last year I set this 160k as my target for the year. Completed it in 5hrs 40mins which I was well impressed with.
    I'd been up the mahon falls a dozen times or so this year and to my surprise I managed a PR on it yesterday, perhaps the sheer numbers helped.
    On the Mama rd. decent I saw a guy with a sweeping brush okay but at the time just thought he was sweeping away some gravel.

Huge kudos to all who took part, all the volunteers and the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Ah yes the legend that is the Sean Kelly Tour, as tough as the man himself.
    Major kudos to the organizers/volunteers/marshals/supporters for making it a great day out.
    /really sad to see guys puncturing on the Mama descent thanks to tacks :(

Yesterday was my 4th in a row, 3rd 160km, and the suffering never gets easier.
    At 11pm Sat night I still hadn't an entry and was finishing off a pint of Guinness but then magically got one, so I downed the guinness and got the gear ready.

Up then at 5:30am and downed a big bowl of porridge and headed off for Dungarvan, and heading down through Lismore/Cappoquinn I was greeted with a nice sunrise, always a good sign ahead of a long day of suffering.

Parked in my usual spot, same for the last 4 years and cycled down to register, & got the jersey I wanted, phew.
    Off then we rolled to the tune of U2, the adrenalin was pumping, the legs were ready and it was all systems go.

The pace was handy all the way to Tickincor, ie. not as mental as last year, and it always amazes me how lads are 'dying' to get stuck into the 1st fierce climb,
    it's like sperm rushing/pushing/fighting their way to the egg, and there's the egg at the top of the climb going "hah hah suckers" :pac:

Tickincor, 3km @ 9%, you have to be in the small chainring at the turn, otherwise............your're toast.
    When I turned I was met with a wall of riders, all suffering straight away on the lower tough section. There's a lull in the middle but it bites back again near the top but then there's a nice long downhill recovery to the much needed food stop.

Other highlights:
    'boom bang' of several tyres exploding, yellow 'biscuit' jerseys, retro jerseys & bikes ('copper pipes' or something), the Fermoy 'choo choo' train, the chit-chat/craic along the route, the up-down/rolly-polly climb that is Mahon Falls, the final push for home (thanks John/Michael > 9km@48.6km/h), &..............McD's :)

Small negligible lowlights:
    wind on the climbs, road surface from Carrick > Clonmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Anybody who did the 160K yesterday who uploaded to Strava can you send me the link to your ride data please?

I am aiming for the 160K myself next year and went to see how tough the route is per Strava :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Keimps

Hi all!

Really nice ride this was guys.
    The organization was brilliant. Big thanks to all the volunteers as well, they sure did an awesome job, they were so friendly!

I'm from Holland myself so we only have flat areas so this 160k with the climbs was horrible!
    Have to admit we (my Belgium friend (the one with the big bagpack haha)) and myself) that we were not prepared enough at all, we only did around 70km last weekend in the wicklow area and another 2 50km cycles the week before hehe.

On the first climb the only thing I could think was 'this is the only climb I'm going to do! Gonna take the shortcut back! But miraculously I made it up the to very fast for an untrained amateur haha, took over a lot of guys. It was also due to the fact that I couldn't go on a lighter gear and wanted to keep up the cadence... Was at the point of almost stopping though..

The food stop after that saved our lives because we were wanting to stop...
    We were quite in the back of the race, as we saw the broom wagon turn into the food stop whilst eating.

Then after the food stop we managed to find a real nice and fast paced group with all green and pink jerseys, they basically rode us all the way up to the start of the next climb.
    Managed to take the wheel of a nice lady with green Jersey and blonde hair, Rosheen iirc, who basically took me up the first few kilometers, until I finally found some new energy and could get next to her. Had a nice chat up the last kilometer which helped me my mind of the horrible suffering I was doing :P

Got back together with my friend at the top of the mountain again.

Then it was alright going to the time limit point, making it just in time at 15:00, 30 minutes before the limit, which also meant committing ourselves to another 2 big climbs!!

The mahon falls climb was awesome, I really like the climb actually. Not saying I wasn't suffering, because I obviously was hehe. Had the luck that my friend and I had the same rhythm and speed for this climb so we could stick together uptill the last kilometer in which he had to slow down.
    I continued on my own, just sticking to my own pace. Then saw the last part and it looked so very steep...
    I accellerated just before the last big steep part which took me up a few good meters before that speed was also gone, had to stand on the pedals a bit which also didn't work, then sit back down and suffer and suffer and suffer.
    I still can't believe I made it up all the way without having to get off the bike!

Rest of the ride was quite enjoyable and the last climb was not that steep which was a nice change hehe!

I think I underestimated the ride, especially the climbs, but I'm proud of my friend and myself that we actually made it :)
    We made it back very late, I think we were one of the very last riders to arrive, at 17:51... Ouch!
    The massage after that was the best!

For the next ride I would love to have some lighter gears because this one was horrible, I'm very bad with the numbers and stuff, but it's a cube peleton race and probably standard numbers in the front and back (shimano 105).
    I just couldn't have a high cadence going up the mountains.

Or maybe for the next ride, just be prepared :P Might help as well.

Things I really liked:
    - Organization
    - Food and water stops
    - Volunteers
    - Other friendly riders
    - The route
    - The weather!
    - The massage
    - The scenery

Things that could have been better/I didn't enjoy:
    - Provide the Gatorade in the middle of the course, when you could really use it :)
    - The decent on Mahon Falls, that was quite scary!! Had to be in the breaks the whole way down.. Was not able to enjoy that one.
    - What I heard about the punctures due to crazy people throwing stuff on the roads... that's just sick and pathetic.
    - My fitness tracker couldn't get a GPS signal so have not been able to track any data at all :(

Looking forward returning next year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

bazermc wrote: »
    Anybody who did the 160K yesterday who uploaded to Strava can you send me the link to your ride data please?

I am aiming for the 160K myself next year and went to see how tough the route is per Strava :)

Just type "waterford" into the City/State field and "SEAN KELLY 160" into the Keywords field at http://www.strava.com/activities/search and you will find loads.....

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Just type "waterford" into the City/State field and "SEAN KELLY 160" into the Keywords field at http://www.strava.com/activities/search and you will find loads.....

Cool thanks silly me didnt think of just doing a search

interestingly only one result popped up from yesterdays 160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My first year doing the SKT, it really is a fantastic event, very well organised, they could feed the starving millions with the amount of food on offer!
    I had been training up to 125 and had done the Wicklow 100 and a charity cycle to Wexford that was 125 which we absolutely flew on the day, so while I was confident Id get thru, the extra distance was a little bit of the unknown.
    I finished in 6.17 rolling time, which I am very happy with. Only took it up in April, and broke my elbow the week I got my bike, so happy with my progress!
    I had been doing some exercise at home on a spinning bike, but have only had 4 months on the road before this.
    I never looked at anything other than distance up til the finish, and Im normally a hoor for looking at all of that, so when I saw 6.17 I was delighted. Under 6 next year would be the goal!
    Enjoy the challenge, the climbs are tough but got over them all without any walk of shame! As Im small and light I actually prefer the climbing to belting along on the flats. Tikincor is very tough at the start but its very doable after that, tho it was humid and hot, so sweat was pumping. Mahon Falls is as advertised! The last part is murder and the legs were on fire, but delighted to get over it without stopping, or falling off! I struggled up Mama Road to be honest, lost the wheel of the lads I was with and just drifted back, got up but legs where suffering, probably the efforts of previous climbs as the Mama Road climb isnt too bad at all.
    Was grand once I got my breath and legs felt good all the way home.
    All in all a great day, really enjoyed it, its a credit to all those who make it happen and get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Ah yes the legend that is the Sean Kelly Tour, as tough as the man himself.
    Major kudos to the organizers/volunteers/marshals/supporters for making it a great day out.
    /really sad to see guys puncturing on the Mama descent thanks to tacks :(

Yesterday was my 4th in a row, 3rd 160km, and the suffering never gets easier.
    At 11pm Sat night I still hadn't an entry and was finishing off a pint of Guinness but then magically got one, so I downed the guinness and got the gear ready.

Up then at 5:30am and downed a big bowl of porridge and headed off for Dungarvan, and heading down through Lismore/Cappoquinn I was greeted with a nice sunrise, always a good sign ahead of a long day of suffering.

Parked in my usual spot, same for the last 4 years and cycled down to register, & got the jersey I wanted, phew.
    Off then we rolled to the tune of U2, the adrenalin was pumping, the legs were ready and it was all systems go.

The pace was handy all the way to Tickincor, ie. not as mental as last year, and it always amazes me how lads are 'dying' to get stuck into the 1st fierce climb,
    it's like sperm rushing/pushing/fighting their way to the egg, and there's the egg at the top of the climb going "hah hah suckers" :pac:

Tickincor, 3km @ 9%, you have to be in the small chainring at the turn, otherwise............your're toast.
    When I turned I was met with a wall of riders, all suffering straight away on the lower tough section. There's a lull in the middle but it bites back again near the top but then there's a nice long downhill recovery to the much needed food stop.

Other highlights:
    'boom bang' of several tyres exploding, yellow 'biscuit' jerseys, retro jerseys & bikes ('copper pipes' or something), the Fermoy 'choo choo' train, the chit-chat/craic along the route, the up-down/rolly-polly climb that is Mahon Falls, the final push for home (thanks John/Michael > 9km@48.6km/h), &..............McD's :)

Small negligible lowlights:
    wind on the climbs, road surface from Carrick > Clonmel.

tis always U2 at the start.. Should try killers . kings of leon or Springsteen next year.

thought I was toast when the rim gave away near carrick, but Barry Meehan world wide cycles clonmel, came to the rescue and got me back to dungarvan and a spare wheel change out. . solo trip then to Baly mac from dungarvan to rejoin the tour.

Great day, met Morrissee. Died on mahon !! and again saw the sweeper lad. Mad burst down coligan back into dungarvan

arrived too late to pick up number but luckily the food halls had a list of registered, so was able to get food , even though I did not have my number displayed.

great event, evem if I missed from carrick to Bally mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

Keimps wrote: »
    Hi all!

Really nice ride this was guys.
    The organization was brilliant. Big thanks to all the volunteers as well, they sure did an awesome job, they were so friendly!

I'm from Holland myself so we only have flat areas so this 160k with the climbs was horrible!
    Have to admit we (my Belgium friend (the one with the big bagpack haha)) and myself) that we were not prepared enough at all, we only did around 70km last weekend in the wicklow area and another 2 50km cycles the week before hehe.

On the first climb the only thing I could think was 'this is the only climb I'm going to do! Gonna take the shortcut back! But miraculously I made it up the to very fast for an untrained amateur haha, took over a lot of guys. It was also due to the fact that I couldn't go on a lighter gear and wanted to keep up the cadence... Was at the point of almost stopping though..

The food stop after that saved our lives because we were wanting to stop...
    We were quite in the back of the race, as we saw the broom wagon turn into the food stop whilst eating.

Then after the food stop we managed to find a real nice and fast paced group with all green and pink jerseys, they basically rode us all the way up to the start of the next climb.
    Managed to take the wheel of a nice lady with green Jersey and blonde hair, Rosheen iirc, who basically took me up the first few kilometers, until I finally found some new energy and could get next to her. Had a nice chat up the last kilometer which helped me my mind of the horrible suffering I was doing :P

Got back together with my friend at the top of the mountain again.

Then it was alright going to the time limit point, making it just in time at 15:00, 30 minutes before the limit, which also meant committing ourselves to another 2 big climbs!!

The mahon falls climb was awesome, I really like the climb actually. Not saying I wasn't suffering, because I obviously was hehe. Had the luck that my friend and I had the same rhythm and speed for this climb so we could stick together uptill the last kilometer in which he had to slow down.
    I continued on my own, just sticking to my own pace. Then saw the last part and it looked so very steep...
    I accellerated just before the last big steep part which took me up a few good meters before that speed was also gone, had to stand on the pedals a bit which also didn't work, then sit back down and suffer and suffer and suffer.
    I still can't believe I made it up all the way without having to get off the bike!

Rest of the ride was quite enjoyable and the last climb was not that steep which was a nice change hehe!

I think I underestimated the ride, especially the climbs, but I'm proud of my friend and myself that we actually made it :)
    We made it back very late, I think we were one of the very last riders to arrive, at 17:51... Ouch!
    The massage after that was the best!

For the next ride I would love to have some lighter gears because this one was horrible, I'm very bad with the numbers and stuff, but it's a cube peleton race and probably standard numbers in the front and back (shimano 105).
    I just couldn't have a high cadence going up the mountains.

Or maybe for the next ride, just be prepared :P Might help as well.

Things I really liked:
    - Organization
    - Food and water stops
    - Volunteers
    - Other friendly riders
    - The route
    - The weather!
    - The massage
    - The scenery

Things that could have been better/I didn't enjoy:
    - Provide the Gatorade in the middle of the course, when you could really use it :)
    - The decent on Mahon Falls, that was quite scary!! Had to be in the breaks the whole way down.. Was not able to enjoy that one.
    - What I heard about the punctures due to crazy people throwing stuff on the roads... that's just sick and pathetic.
    - My fitness tracker couldn't get a GPS signal so have not been able to track any data at all :(

Looking forward returning next year!
    Well done on finishing the route. It was also my first time to do the Sean Kelly but I was expecting it to be tough and it was. I saw you a few times during bthe cycle, I was in the grey Bretagne cycle gea. We ended up near the end after one of our group had a fall and broke his arm at about the 75 k mark. Guy in fromt of us dropped his chain and stopped and we all just went in on top and Charlie could not unclip on time and went down. We were a while waiting while the ambulance crew sorted him out and then we had to get his bike brought back. It put a real dampener on the day for us. After that we carried on and I went well up the hills for my level and overall i was cycling for 6 hrs 26 but had about 2 and a half hours of standing around with food and water stops and the accident. As for the group in pink and green jerseys. They were the Tour De Munster cycling club. We jumped onto their wheels for the last 10k. Had a chat with one of them at 2nd food stop as she had seen us at scene of accident. Lovely group of guys and gals. great organisation and fair play tio all the volenterrs.

Hope to see ye all at the Rebel Tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Cool thanks silly me didnt think of just doing a search

interestingly only one result popped up from yesterdays 160

http://app.strava.com/activities/77429662

Here you go.

Took 5.30 mins cycling but had to go slow for a while after the Mama road decent after some of our lads had to go back up to help out with a puncture from tacks. Didn't have the strength myself!

Thanks to all the kind volunteers and to the lads from the Galtee club and their banter with the Fermoy club at the top of the Mama road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Any guesstimate on the amount of punctures?

There are some gobsh!tes around

ashleey wrote: »

Holy **** average 29.6km/h for 160K

Impressive speeds Ashleey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I think this sums up Mahon Falls quite nicely !
    /courtesy of David Clynch

1005360_592763734100403_1083073093_n.jpg

I think this sums up Mahon Falls quite nicely !
    /courtesy of David Clynch

1005360_592763734100403_1083073093_n.jpg

Great photo.
    The view as you come towards the left turn and swing onto it is very impressive, my first time seeing it, and deffo had thoughts of 'am I going to get up this?" :D

Well done on finishing the route. It was also my first time to do the Sean Kelly but I was expecting it to be tough and it was. I saw you a few times during bthe cycle, I was in the grey Bretagne cycle gea. We ended up near the end after one of our group had a fall and broke his arm at about the 75 k mark. Guy in fromt of us dropped his chain and stopped and we all just went in on top and Charlie could not unclip on time and went down. We were a while waiting while the ambulance crew sorted him out and then we had to get his bike brought back. It put a real dampener on the day for us. After that we carried on and I went well up the hills for my level and overall i was cycling for 6 hrs 26 but had about 2 and a half hours of standing around with food and water stops and the accident. As for the group in pink and green jerseys. They were the Tour De Munster cycling club. We jumped onto their wheels for the last 10k. Had a chat with one of them at 2nd food stop as she had seen us at scene of accident. Lovely group of guys and gals. great organisation and fair play tio all the volenterrs.

Hope to see ye all at the Rebel Tour.

Nice you finished it as well!! And quite fast then for a first time concerning the wait you had with the accident.

It is such a shame for you guys and especially for the guy with the broken arm. Didn't know that had happened. Hope he'll recover fast.

terrydel wrote: »
    Great photo.
    The view as you come towards the left turn and swing onto it is very impressive, my first time seeing it, and deffo had thoughts of 'am I going to get up this?" :D

Haha, same here, this part was insane!
    Anyone know the percentage of this last bit of the climb?

I dont know the exact amount, bt Im going with lots!
    Great fun tho, and a real sense of achievement getting over that at 125kms.
    As for the descent after, jaysus now thats insane!

Holy **** average 29.6km/h for 160K

Impressive speeds Ashleey
    Paying the price today though. Anyone who completes it deserves congratulations, whatever the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Really enjoyed yesterday did the whole thing as group of four and was some great banter around 6 hours rolling time. Mahon falls is a tough but top class climb met needmoregears on one of the climbs and had a quick chat at one of the food stops. The more i do on the bike the more i enjoy the likes of these sportives. One thing that i do find worrying is that some people just have no respect for their own safety or the safety of others on the road wrong side of the white line traffic coming and then they just swing in on top of whoever happens to be unlucky enough to be on the outside. You can see why some motorists hate cyclist's it only takes a few @rseholes to paint us all with the same brush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Oh meant to say Kudos to the lads that cycled down the day before and then did it yesterday was talking to them yesterday fair play lads they had a thread on here about doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

2228934.png?name=Mahon+Falls+final+ramp

Really enjoyed yesterday did the whole thing as group of four and was some great banter around 6 hours rolling time. Mahon falls is a tough but top class climb met needmoregears on one of the climbs and had a quick chat at one of the food stops. The more i do on the bike the more i enjoy the likes of these sportives. One thing that i do find worrying is that some people just have no respect for their own safety or the safety of others on the road wrong side of the white line traffic coming and then they just swing in on top of whoever happens to be unlucky enough to be on the outside. You can see why some motorists hate cyclist's it only takes a few @rseholes to paint us all with the same brush
    I wouldn't go so far to label them but the lads doing this for the first 50k definitely caused problems as the bunch was put under pressure when they swung back in. To be fair though sometimes you get pushed out wide in such a large group and are forced into the other lane by traffic islands or a slowing rider in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

I did the 100k and got a photo of one Boardsie, but can't figure out how to post the photo so far. I'll try again later!

Great day all round. I was doing the 100k with a bunch of cousins (6 of us in total) and things got a bit competitive at the start so everyone went hell for leather up to Knockanore (40k), but that was the pissing contest over and we stuck together all the way home then.
    By far the most climbing I've ever done, and I was happy with how it went - I may have bugger all power but I haven't much weight to be lugging around either, and that told toward the end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

merc230ce wrote: »
    I did the 100k and got a photo of one Boardsie, but can't figure out how to post the photo so far. I'll try again later!

Trying again:
    zp17.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Taken at 10:41, so somewhere between Lismore and Knockanore)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Konkers

One thing that i do find worrying is that some people just have no respect for their own safety or the safety of others on the road wrong side of the white line traffic coming and then they just swing in on top of whoever happens to be unlucky enough to be on the outside. You can see why some motorists hate cyclist's it only takes a few @rseholes to paint us all with the same brush

+ 1 on this. Witnessed a very near miss as I was going up the last very short kick of the day. It was on a sharp right hander. A car was coming down. Thankfully the cyclist ahead called it, I passed it on, I looked to my right where a fella in a yellow (club) jersey came haring around the corner on the wrong side of the road, trying to catch some club mates up the hill. He swerved to avoid the car, whose driver fortunately decided to come to a virtual stop as they took the corner. Very unfair on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Konkers wrote: »
    + 1 on this. Witnessed a very near miss as I was going up the last very short kick of the day. It was on a sharp right hander. A car was coming down. Thankfully the cyclist ahead called it, I passed it on, I looked to my right where a fella in a yellow (club) jersey came haring around the corner on the wrong side of the road, trying to catch some club mates up the hill. He swerved to avoid the car, whose driver fortunately decided to come to a virtual stop as they took the corner. Very unfair on her.

I had a great day doing this cycle, weather perfect, food stops well organised, plenty of food and drink for the cycle, volunteers very helpful and engaging, people along the route with their kids helping keep the positive mental attitude intact!

My only slight negative is the lack of spatial awareness of people in groups. I am not the fastest climber but am a steady climber and counted several groups who passed me and cut in thinking they were going faster than they actually were. No accidents thankfully but several corrections made to avoid wheel contact. One incident that sticks out is as we were heading up the last climb, a narrow road, but not a particularly steep climb (esp. after Mahon Falls!) and myself and my mate, who was grinding away with my support, were going up two abreast and a large group came alongside with the usual "on your right" shouts, two abreast (and more) in some places. One guy didn't keep the line and caused a ripple and nearly caused a fairly large domino accident.

I don't mind being passed, this year, as its my first at this gig in a fair few years, but I hope when I am doing the passing in the future I behave with less ignorance than I experienced by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Konkers wrote: »

Had a similar experience but going downhill coming from Ring. A Group of three us singled out to pass two guys, when my wife passed the two guys one of them took off after her, and had to pass her on the wrong side of the road round a blind bend.

Same dude tried to pull out on the N25 in front of traffic ignoring two marshalls.

Didn't let it spoil a fantastic day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Saw some sketchy riding a few times - the highlight for me was a guy who passed me and then two ahead of me on Tickinor after which he simply stopped completely and put his foot down. The two ahead had just enough time to get around him but not enough breath to give out - luckily no one was on their outside.

Saw one lad fall early on from what seemed to a touch of wheels. He seemed ok thankfully - things were pretty bunched up at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mingmong29

Anyone come across any sites with photos of this years 160k?....from what I remember there were quite a few thaking snaps on Mahon:)))

Advertisement