Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yes as in a father on Christmas Eve may "choose" to take the money he had saved for his children's Christmas presents and gamble it away in the bookies. He may not "choose" to beat them on Christmas morning because they are upset.

So it is ok if this hypothetical father chooses to buy his children expensive goods rather than choosing to save the lives of starving children who he just saw on the news along with appeals for donations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That is an important distinction you've made.

In the uk in 2011 close to 3,000 babies were terminated at 20 weeks or over. This is the same as number of people who died from the combined 9
    11 attacks.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales

This is not an insignificant number.
    Under what grounds did the abortions occur? You should know, they've been posted multiple times
    Isn't it? What scientific tests take place to prove she is suicidal?
    So you think she shows up, says "I'm suicidal", and they abort her baby on the spot? Don't ask her whether, say, she wants to keep the baby? Or why she's suicidal? Or whether there are other options?

And there are already places in the medical set-up where psychiatrists determine suicidal intention.
    Is there any reason to believe that the surgical methods of abortion that take place in all other "civilised" countries won't be used here?
    Given that they don't have our 8th amendment, no, it's not worth even a cursory examination, never mind the hundred posts you've made on it.

All the while, you continue to fail to state what you think is going to happen, and what you have a problem with

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

125 children with a high proportion having severe disabilities for the rest of their lives. Disabilities that in most if not all cases could have been avoided and these children could have been born healthily and lived full and healthy lives - education, career, marriage, kids etc.

Can you not see the dilemma here?

Sorry BB, maybe you've linked to this previously but could you please substantiate the claim I've highlighted?

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Sorry BB, maybe you've linked to this previously but could you please substantiate the claim I've highlighted?
    I'd be glad to oblige as I appreciate your civility.

However, although an extremely premature baby's chances of survival have risen, the same research also found the proportion of such infants who experience severe disability as a result has not changed. That stood at 18% in 1995 and was 19% in 2006, according to the research.

"Our findings show that more babies now survive being born too soon than ever before, which is testament to the highly-skilled and dedicated staff in our neonatal services", said Professor Neil Marlow, an MRC-funded academic at University College London's Institute for Women's Health and a co-author of both papers. "But as the number of children that survive pre-term birth continues to rise, so will the number who experience disability throughout their lives. This is likely to have an impact on the demand for health, education and social care services."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/05/survival-rates-premature-babies-rise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

That is an important distinction you've made.

In the uk in 2011 close to 3,000 babies were terminated at 20 weeks or over. This is the same as number of people who died from the combined 9
    11 attacks.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/may/24/abortion-statistics-england-wales

This is not an insignificant number.

It is actually, when you convert it to percentage. 3000 abortions, out of 196,082, is 1.53%. You've been given the 1-2% prevalence rate for post-20 week abortions before (and its been explained that most of these abortions are on malformed or sick foetuses who weren't guaranteed any quality of life, if they survived). Emotively comparing the number to a terrorist attack is dishonest Brown Bomber, and shows that you are still ignoring every argument and piece of data presented to you.

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Under what grounds did the abortions occur? You should know, they've been posted multiple times
    And on what grounds should a 20 week plus abortion not take place in Ireland on request from a "suicidal" mother?

So you think she shows up, says "I'm suicidal", and they abort her baby on the spot? Don't ask her whether, say, she wants to keep the baby? Or why she's suicidal? Or whether there are other options?

And there are already places in the medical set-up where psychiatrists determine suicidal intention.
    I assume by your failure to answer the question directly that there are in fact NO scientific tests that will take place to determine if a mother is suicidal or faking it?
    Given that they don't have our 8th amendment, no, it's not worth even a cursory examination, never mind the hundred posts you've made on it.

All the while, you continue to fail to state what you think is going to happen, and what you have a problem with
    Does the 8th amendment prohibit specific methods of abortion? Could you specify? If not, what is the reason that the UK's abortion methods won't be available here?

===

I don't know what is going to happen.

What I would like to see happen is no abortions beyond the point where foetal pain is a distinct possibility, so 18 weeks+. I would like to see a requirement where people who want to abort their babies first receive counselling and are fully aware of the implications of their actions. I would also like to see random investigations into the people who claimed "suicide" as to their actual mental health, in the manner of people who claim disability allowances receive. I would like to see the more barbaric forms of abortion outlawed. I would like to see that women who do get abortions not be stigmatised.

All of the above excludes extreme cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'd be glad to oblige as I appreciate your civility.

However, although an extremely premature baby's chances of survival have risen, the same research also found the proportion of such infants who experience severe disability as a result has not changed. That stood at 18% in 1995 and was 19% in 2006, according to the research.

"Our findings show that more babies now survive being born too soon than ever before, which is testament to the highly-skilled and dedicated staff in our neonatal services", said Professor Neil Marlow, an MRC-funded academic at University College London's Institute for Women's Health and a co-author of both papers. "But as the number of children that survive pre-term birth continues to rise, so will the number who experience disability throughout their lives. This is likely to have an impact on the demand for health, education and social care services."
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/dec/05/survival-rates-premature-babies-rise

Thank you for that, BB.

While I'm not sure, having read the paper abstracts that the datasets are entirely comparable (i.e. premature birth is a medical emergency vs. a planned medical procedure) I do take your point about an increased risk of developmental problems due to the gestational age.

However, there are still three problems from my perspective. Firstly, a foetus which is viable but born with some developmental problems is still alive, that's something to be thankful for. Secondly, we don't have any data regarding viability of abortions performed in these periods, so we don't know how many, if any, could have been viable. Finally, the possible viability and risk of disability of the foetus must still be weighed against the risk to the health and life of the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I assume by your failure to answer the question directly that there are in fact NO scientific tests that will take place to determine if a mother is suicidal or faking it?

A quick google of the suicide test will give various methods for testing, Brown Bomber (Columbia Suicide Severity Rating Scale, The kessler psychological distress scale (k10), Beck Scale for Suicide Ideation® (BSS®) etc.)
    Maybe you should do a bit of leg work and actually look up about these issues before making such uninformed claims?
    Does the 8th amendment prohibit specific methods of abortion? Could you specify? If not, what is the reason that the UK's abortion methods won't be available here?

Have you tried reading it yourself?
    The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,472 ✭✭✭✭28064212

And on what grounds should a 20 week plus abortion not take place in Ireland on request from a "suicidal" mother?
    Given you've put quotes around suicidal, one of the grounds would be "faking it". Another would be if a psychiatrist determined it would not be a suitable treatment
    Once again, you have not read the post that you requested. Psychiatry is a science, btw.
    8th amendment protects the right to life of the child. A specific method of abortion that infringes on that right would be prohibited

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

@Brown Bomber are you concerned that all suicidal people may be faking it or is that suspicion only aimed at pregnant women?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Lucinda's statement in the Dail a short while ago included a bit where she spoke to Dr Reilly. She used the words "Your Government" when referring to the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Another few hours and it will all be over. They saying midnight or later now. Did anyone see them PRAYING outside the dail ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

aloyisious wrote: »
    Lucinda's statement in the Dail a short while ago included a bit where she spoke to Dr Reilly. She used the words "Your Government" when referring to the bill.

...saying they're 'under no obligation to legislate' and saying the supreme court was "wrong". Dear me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bumper234 wrote: »
    Another few hours and it will all be over. They saying midnight or later now. Did anyone see them PRAYING outside the dail ffs.

Yeah this one with Gandalf is confusing the heck out of me. I'm not sure if it's a poe or not.

000799e0-642.jpg

Ah she needs to cop the **** on and That fool Mathews saying life begins at conception and ends in natural death. What if you get hit by a bus ffs theirs nothing natural about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ah the religious ones, destroying any chance of taking their side seriously.

Is there anywhere to read the legislation they want to bring in? Or a shortened version
    Jernal wrote: »
    Yeah this one with Gandalf is confusing the heck out of me. I'm not sure if it's a poe or not.

000799e0-642.jpg

Why is gandalf aborting jesus?

Is there anywhere to read the legislation they want to bring in? Or a shortened version

Pro life = orcses in disguises my precious

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Are we sure that's not Dumbledore?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Holy Mother of Meatballs Batman! ! !

Michelle Mulherin looking like she's going to support the bill!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....they must reckon Enda is serio about chucking them out and banning them from running.

• Advertisement

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    Thank you for that, BB.

While I'm not sure, having read the paper abstracts that the datasets are entirely comparable (i.e. premature birth is a medical emergency vs. a planned medical procedure) I do take your point about an increased risk of developmental problems due to the gestational age.

However, there are still three problems from my perspective. Firstly, a foetus which is viable but born with some developmental problems is still alive, that's something to be thankful for. Secondly, we don't have any data regarding viability of abortions performed in these periods, so we don't know how many, if any, could have been viable. Finally, the possible viability and risk of disability of the foetus must still be weighed against the risk to the health and life of the mother.
    I concede all your points and accept your motivations as valid. At least you accept that there is a moral dilemma and there are other factors to be at least considered besides the mothers demands.

I thought I'd misheard the RTE bit on that. It said she said that she was not going to be BOOTED out of the party, or summat like that. Bit hearsay-ish but very interesting. I'm actually lucky to have caught it as I tried to throttle the radio earlier. Peter Matthews was "explaining" how the AG had explained the meaning of the bill to him, and he came to realise it did not contradict the 8th amendment or the Supreme Court ruling protecting the unborn. Poor Peter did not like the implications he felt were behind the wording of the interviewer's questions and the denial of wafflle-airtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I thought I'd misheard the RTE bit on that. It said she said that she was not going to be thrown out of the party, or summat like that. Bit hearsay-ish but very interesting. I'm actually lucky to have caught it as I tried to throttle the radio earlier. Peter Matthews was "explaining" how the AG had explained the meaning of the bill to him, and he came to realise it did not contradict the 8th amendment or the Supreme Court ruling protecting the unborn. Poor Peter did not like the implications he felt were behind the wording of the interviewer's questions and the denial of wafflle-airtime.

Yeah, seems like she is.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/michelle-mulherin-to-support-abortion-bill-29411043.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Michael Healy Rae said a fetus is the exact same as himself and James Reilly.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mardy Bum wrote: »

I wouldn't argue with that part :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Has he seen the YD poster?

Keep the fetus and abort that whole family. Jesus if ever there were a bunch of gombeen muck savages that can give this country a bad name. No wonder people think we are backwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Saw this in a thread in tLL.

Catholic Voices woman just basically repeats the arguments we've heard before. Pathetic to claim that FG are introducing the legislation to distract from the economic crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Embarrassingly full of lies and idiocy, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

You have got to admire the politicians that stuck to their guns whither you agree with their views or not.It was very disappointing to hear some others have put their careers before their views,I include here the West of Ireland TD that would have lost the chance to run for Europe if he had stuck to his 'no' ,he obviously thought of all the money he would loose if he stood up for what he believed in!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement