Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

A huge loss for the under 21s but also a loss for the seniors. He has really bulked up physically and has done well when he has come on for seniors this year. We can ill afford to be losing options in the forwards as it stands with Paudie and Seamus off form and Brian O'Halloran injured. Desperately hoping Shane Walsh will be fit, any word on where he's at fitness wise?

Was speaking to an rte journalist covering the match after game last Sat and he opined that we are two good forwards away from being able to compete with the top sides on a consistent basis. We have a fairly settled team now but need 2-3 lads to lift their performances in a big way

• Registered Users Posts: 4 An Seanbhuachaill

doz wrote: »
    A huge loss for the under 21s but also a loss for the seniors. He has really bulked up physically and has done well when he has come on for seniors this year. We can ill afford to be losing options in the forwards as it stands with Paudie and Seamus off form and Brian O'Halloran injured. Desperately hoping Shane Walsh will be fit, any word on where he's at fitness wise?

Was speaking to an rte journalist covering the match after game last Sat and he opined that we are two good forwards away from being able to compete with the top sides on a consistent basis. We have a fairly settled team now but need 2-3 lads to lift their performances in a big way

I agree with that assessment. The selection of O'Keefe,SFives and Billy O'Sullivan have strengthened the side since the Clare game. But at least two scoring forwards still needed, partly just to score more, but also to let S O'Sullivan to move back to centre field where he would be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

I wonder would they ever let Browne play upfront again ,he can be great in the halfback and on the frees ,whave to be on the wing,wouldnt have the legs for the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

It has actually gotten to hthe stage now where journalists can dig up an article from 5 years ago, make a few changes maybe change Dan to Maurice and send it to print. No one will notice it's the same article that was written 10 years ago!

It's hard to get it into perspective, but when Tony was at an age when most would be looking at retirement Kevin Moran would have been a promising youngster on the team. Now Moran is at an age where he's one of the most experienced on the team and Tony is still there.

Basically, he's some man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

blue note wrote: »
    It has actually gotten to hthe stage now where journalists can dig up an article from 5 years ago, make a few changes maybe change Dan to Maurice and send it to print. No one will notice it's the same article that was written 10 years ago!

Hacks don't need someone to be on the scene for 20 years for an excuse to recycle old articles. Martin Breheny does it every year. "What is needed to beat [insert dominant team]." "Five changes to save the GAA." "Stale format needs reform." Bang it out by noon, liquid lunch to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Doz, is the Seamus who you state as being off form Seamus Prendergast cause i was at the match on Saturday and he wasn't within a mile of being off form in my mind.

Set up a goal and won two frees for Maurice Shan in the first half and i think got 3 points in total. Did alot of good link play as well from my view. He has never done anything flashy so he is often ignored when people discuss a match afterwards.

Always felt for years that if they played the right ball into him at FF, he would be a great asset in laying off ball to wing forwards running at pace towards the goal.

Anyone know who the RTE guy on the radio who was at the match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The selection of O'Keefe,SFives and Billy O'Sullivan have strengthened the side since the Clare game.

Didnt realise the great man was back... I suppose with the mileage weve gotten out of Tony Browne we may aswell bring them all back out of retirement see how it goes :D

robopaddy wrote: »
    Didnt realise the great man was back... I suppose with the mileage weve gotten out of Tony Browne we may aswell bring them all back out of retirement see how it goes :D

Apologies! Showing my age, I'm afraid. I meant Brian of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Are all those who remember Billy in his pomp now old? Oh dear...

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »

No, but those who mix up Billy with Brian are!

chinguetti wrote: »
    Doz, is the Seamus who you state as being off form Seamus Prendergast cause i was at the match on Saturday and he wasn't within a mile of being off form in my mind.

Set up a goal and won two frees for Maurice Shan in the first half and i think got 3 points in total. Did alot of good link play as well from my view. He has never done anything flashy so he is often ignored when people discuss a match afterwards.

Always felt for years that if they played the right ball into him at FF, he would be a great asset in laying off ball to wing forwards running at pace towards the goal.

Anyone know who the RTE guy on the radio who was at the match?

Ah he got a couple of good scores and laid off a couple of nice balls but you have to put it into perspective, we were playing Westmeath who had no legs in the second half when most of this occurred. He won absolutely no ball against his man in the air, in fact he barely competed for it, exact same story against Offaly. Considering his height he poses no aerial threat at full forward, which to be fair is not his position, and I couldn't see him making any inroads against the KK or Tipp full back to be honest.

He may not have the legs for 70 mins but I'd start him at centre forward next time out if Shane Walsh is fit. This however does leave us a man short up front; you'd have to expect that Jake, Shane O'S and BOS are going to hold their places. Throw in Seamus and Shane Walsh, if fit, and that leaves us with a spot to fill, probably between Jamie Barron (who wouldn't survive physically) and Paudie Mahony who is totally off form. Not sure if there is anyone else who is really in the running for starting shirt.

deiseach wrote: »

Remember him when Waterford took off in 98 and 99 he was coming to the end of his career. A pity becuase he was a great servant during the lean times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Ah he got a couple of good scores and laid off a couple of nice balls but you have to put it into perspective, we were playing Westmeath who had no legs in the second half when most of this occurred. He won absolutely no ball against his man in the air, in fact he barely competed for it, exact same story against Offaly. Considering his height he poses no aerial threat at full forward, which to be fair is not his position, and I couldn't see him making any inroads against the KK or Tipp full back to be honest.

He may not have the legs for 70 mins but I'd start him at centre forward next time out if Shane Walsh is fit. This however does leave us a man short up front; you'd have to expect that Jake, Shane O'S and BOS are going to hold their places. Throw in Seamus and Shane Walsh, if fit, and that leaves us with a spot to fill, probably between Jamie Barron (who wouldn't survive physically) and Paudie Mahony who is totally off form. Not sure if there is anyone else who is really in the running for starting shirt.

Bit harsh to be dropping Maurice the way he is playing.
    Something more like this
    Shane O Sullivan, Seamus Pendergast, Maurice Shanahahn
    Brian O Sullivan, Shane Walsh, Jake Dillon

Bit harsh to be dropping Maurice the way he is playing.
    Something more like this
    Shane O Sullivan, Seamus Pendergast, Maurice Shanahahn
    Brian O Sullivan, Shane Walsh, Jake Dillon

Clearly an omission on my part, just in case anyone thinks I genuinely think he should be dropped and it rather renders my previous post a little useless!!! If we can go another round further I would think Maurice will have a great chance of an all star.

I would play the forwards as you have lined out above, though Paudie Mahony might be given a chance to redeem himself in Seamus' place. My net point remains that neither of these players are particularly going well and I wouldn't be confident about them lining up against Tipp or KK on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Clearly an omission on my part, just in case anyone thinks I genuinely think he should be dropped and it rather renders my previous post a little useless!!! If we can go another round further I would think Maurice will have a great chance of an all star.

I would play the forwards as you have lined out above, though Paudie Mahony might be given a chance to redeem himself in Seamus' place. My net point remains that neither of these players are particularly going well and I wouldn't be confident about them lining up against Tipp or KK on current form.

I think Maurice will have no chance of one if we don't win our next game - you just don't get one without getting to at the very least the quarter finals. He'll need at least one more very good game to get one.

I think Seamus has been one of our better forwards so far this year. I was shocked when he was taken off against Offaly. He was winning ball that was sent up to him. When he was taken off we had no-one to do that and the ball was coming back down the field twice as fast. He should also have had at least one penalty in that game.

He obviously isn't at all mobile and his shooting is quite poor, but he adds something that none of the other forwards really do. We're a better team with him on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irelandguy10

I think maurice has a good chance of getting an all star even if they lose to tipp/killkenny, I think if he has a very good game vs one of them i think theres a pretty good chance if he keeps up his recent scoring anyway

I think maurice has a good chance of getting an all star even if they lose to tipp/killkenny, I think if he has a very good game vs one of them i think theres a pretty good chance if he keeps up his recent scoring anyway

he'd want to have one hell of a game. I think unless you get to a quarter final youve only got an outside chance no matter how good you play. I remember Joe Canning got it one year after Galway losing their only championship game to Cork in the qualifiers (before they were in Leinster) but he was absolutely insane the same night. never witnessed a performance like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

We'll agree to differ doz but Seamus is the only forward, apart from Shanahan who will win ball in the air for us. As said earlier, the forwards (in my mind) link better with him on the pitch. I guess we'll all know more after the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

An All star based on performances against two Mickey Mouse teams (no disrespect to Offaly and Westmeath).. I want some of what ever yere on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

shoddy14 wrote: »
    An All star based on performances against two Mickey Mouse teams (no disrespect to Offaly and Westmeath).. I want some of what ever yere on

How could they not take disrespect to that?

chinguetti wrote: »
    We'll agree to differ doz but Seamus is the only forward, apart from Shanahan who will win ball in the air for us. As said earlier, the forwards (in my mind) link better with him on the pitch. I guess we'll all know more after the next day.

Don't dispute at all that Seamus is capable of winning the ball in the air and as you rightly pointed out, we have a dearth of players in this capacity. However in my view he hasn't been doing the business in the last two games, he is not even getting off the ground and was dominated by both the Offaly and Westmeath fullbacks in the air. Just don't see any way he would make any inroads against KK or Tipp full backs where we will need goals to have any chance of a win. Shane Walsh being fit is critical as it would allow Seamus to revert to centre forward. Shane is a fantastic competitor and one of the best players I have seen in the air for a man of his height.

How could they not take disrespect to that?

Its not their fault, they are just not quality opposition obviously. 2nd and 3rd tier of the league??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,777 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

for 2014 with Seamus possibly retired who will we have to win ball in the forward lines. If Stephen Molumphy comes back to the panel will he play in the Half forward line

Its not their fault, they are just not quality opposition obviously. 2nd and 3rd tier of the league??

Offaly are a good team. Both limerick and Dublin are also tier 2 teams and their not going too bad this year.... Cork are relegated to division 2 now does that make them a mickeymouse team aswell?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    for 2014 with Seamus possibly retired who will we have to win ball in the forward lines. If Stephen Molumphy comes back to the panel will he play in the Half forward line

Last time I checked we were still in the 2013 championship

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

DeiseX wrote: »
    Minor Championships gets under way this evening!! Some cracking games throughout all the divisions!! Madness to think that some of the powers that be want to bring back the East/West divisional championship instead of all county. The all county championship has partly contributed to the progression we've seen of the county minor hurling team!!

Where can you get results/league tables for the club minor games? Nothing on the co. website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Where can you get results/league tables for the club minor games? Nothing on the co. website.

http://www.waterfordgaa.ie/latestResults

They're there just scroll down a bit

No league table as yet but after one game it's easy to figure out and not really too important anyway.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Offaly are a good team. Both limerick and Dublin are also tier 2 teams and their not going too bad this year.... Cork are relegated to division 2 now does that make them a mickeymouse team aswell?

Do ye want combs to help with yere nit picking? Offaly a good team :confused: When was the last time they won any sort of meaningful game in championship? Dublin got to the All Ireland semi and won the league 2 years ago, Cork got to the All Ireland semi final only last year comparing apples and oranges!

• Advertisement

Do ye want combs to help with yere nit picking? Offaly a good team :confused: When was the last time they won any sort of meaningful game in championship? Dublin got to the All Ireland semi and won the league 2 years ago, Cork got to the All Ireland semi final only last year comparing apples and oranges!

Well we struggled against them for long stages and were level with westmeath at half time so where does that leave us then

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement