Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kanye West Album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Bound 2 song of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

FrankLamar wrote: »
    Bound 2 song of the year

Backpack Kanye is still alive :)

This is definitely a grower

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ALBUM HAS LEAKED yesss!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

my favorite is send it up !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Initial impression: I think it's bloody awful.

But then I'm very much on the fence when it comes to Kanye so take that as you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Blood on the Leaves beat is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I am on my first run through now, 7 tracks in and it's seriously odd. Some are ok, I Am A God is ****ing dire though.

I'll give it a few more chances as I'm sure it's a grower but it's just bloody strange on the first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MD1990 wrote: »
    Blood on the Leaves beat is amazing

I can't listen to that the whole way through. Beat is class and flow is decent at points but jesus he just starts moaning in auto-tune and it's like listening to a jackhammer. Wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

One of the best things about Kanye is his ambition and the way he always tries to do something different. This is very different indeed. Very extreme sound and a serious change in musical direction. It ain't gonna sit well with the hip-hop purists, and that's why I think it's the most important thing he's ever done. It's Kanye's Kid A.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

No, that blood on the leaves tune is not my cup of tea, his last auto tune attempt was diabolical there's no need for another one this album is gonna be a struggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

im not going to judge it after one listen but at the moment im not liking it at all, like people have said it is different and thats good i suppose but i really cant see this growing on me. Blood on the leaves i like a lot despite the auto tune and potentially being ruined near the end, but beats insane and saves it, new slaves is great and the track with king L.

Edit another 2 Listens dismorning, it's painful imo honestly it's all over the place for me. I think if this was anyone else we'd be saying what the f*ck is this noise I'm Listening too because he's basically rapping about f*ck all for the best part.

You'd have to strap me to a chair to listen to this in full again, just give me 2 or 3 off it and that's it, my ears are bleeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Blisterman wrote: »
    Frank Ocean and Justin Vernon excepted, it's a fairly mediocre selection of guests. Where's Jay Z, Mos Def, Pusha T, Common, Talib Kweli, Lupe Fiasco etc.?

Well, at least Big Sean isn't on it.

Having given it a listen, my fears have been averted. There's no cringe worthily bad rap verses like Cruel Summer, and there's not much EDM or Dubstep on it at all to be honest.

I'll reserve my final judgement on the album until I've listened to it a few times. It's certainly ambitious, and not an easy listen. So it's either going to grow on me, or I'll begin to hate it. Bound 2's pretty sweet though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mattklis

Yeezus is a crazy album and a average rap fan wont like it.

Listen: http://www.playthishiphop.com/kanye-west-yeezus-album

I've listened to it through three times now, and I'm liking it more with each listen. Black Skinheads is one of the craziest and best tracks I've heard in ages. I'm usually not really that gone on Kanye, could take him or leave him most of the time, but I think this is a great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I'm not liking this much at all.... I can definitely get a Death Grips feel here at times which isn't nice for Kanye.... Not getting any vibe off it really. Some tracks are really hard to listen to. Bound 2 and New Slaves are good though. I'm hoping this'll grow on me but J. Cole's made a far better impression on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Didn;t mind some stuff from his last album, but this isn't for me.

Sage Francis ‏@SageFrancis 12h
    According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

This is hip-hop... But not as we know it!

I think this is going to be the most polarising Kanye album since 808s - maybe even more so. It's either going to be a grower for you, or just sonically offensive.

I can't say where I am with it yet as I haven't given it a full listen, though the bass lines and drums are interesting at the very least.

I do think his lines on New Slaves about rich nigga racism are a bit ironic, given that on his last major single Clique he was blaming his lavish spending "on the pigment."

It's a bit rich to play into a stereotype one minute and in the very next rail angrily against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Epicness

2deep4boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

floggg wrote: »
    This is hip-hop... But not as we know it!

I think this is going to be the most polarising Kanye album since 808s - maybe even more so. It's either going to be a grower for you, or just sonically offensive.

I can't say where I am with it yet as I haven't given it a full listen, though the bass lines and drums are interesting at the very least.

I do think his lines on New Slaves about rich nigga racism are a bit ironic, given that on his last major single Clique he was blaming his lavish spending "on the pigment."

It's a bit rich to play into a stereotype one minute and in the very next rail angrily against it.

Then totally rips the piss out of the black movement with this line:

"Release them titties, free at last"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Strange album altogether tbh, not 100% shít, but not very good, just strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Strange album altogether tbh, not 100% shít, but not very good, just strange.

I think you're going to need a few listens to judge, but it will be a love it or hate it from most.

I'm still not sure what side I'll end up on.

I think if it was any other artist who dropped it, I think I wouldn't be willing to try and digest it in the same after my first listen (e.g. Anything I've heard from El-P just seemed too unapproachable for me to want you get into - except the Killer Mike stuff, because well, Mike is ****ing awesome).

I think Kanye has demanded that I invest a bit of time on this, through his back catalogue and also through the way he manages to build hype and intrigue about a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Fantastic album for me. Not classic hip-hop or anything but a pretty enthralling listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Anybody else get in the mood for tearing sh1t up once the beat on "Blood On The Leaves" drops?

I was in the gym last night and it came on, i almost threw a dumbbell through a mirror.

Hazys wrote: »
    Anybody else get in the mood for tearing sh1t up once the beat on "Blood On The Leaves" drops?

I was in the gym last night and it came on, i almost threw a dumbbell through a mirror.

I was too busy tripping over how he flipped the Nina Simone sample.

I'd say its the most extreme flipping of a Nina sample I've ever heard. Hard to think its the same man who made Get By!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I cant get over some of the lyrics on it, he's actually comparing himself to god/jesus wasnt john lennon killed over that? Not even going to get started on the stench of racism of it someone should tell him his woman is white.

blood on the leaves, new slaves, black skinhead thats it for me the rest is pure and utter rubbish. This fellas ego is going to get him killed or seriously knocked the f*k out sooner or later, only so long people will put up with his ignorance and whats worse it shows so much in his recent music.

I like kanye never a huge fan but i liked his music bar the autotune and 808s rubbish but i cant help but start to develop a serious dislike for him, i can tolerate him acting the d*ckhead in the media or towards other people aka taylor swift etc but when this d*ckhead personailty starts coming through in his music thats the cut off point, i cant listen to racism from a millionaire who's constantly feeling sorry for himself.

floggg wrote: »
    I was too busy tripping over how he flipped the Nina Simone sample.

I'd say its the most extreme flipping of a Nina sample I've ever heard. Hard to think its the same man who made Get By!

And this too!

I cant get over some of the lyrics on it, he's actually comparing himself to god/jesus wasnt john lennon killed over that? Not even going to get started on the stench of racism of it someone should tell him his woman is white.

blood on the leaves, new slaves, black skinhead thats it for me the rest is pure and utter rubbish. This fellas ego is going to get him killed or seriously knocked the f*k out sooner or later, only so long people will put up with his ignorance and whats worse it shows so much in his recent music.

I like kanye never a huge fan but i liked his music bar the autotune and 808s rubbish but i cant help but start to develop a serious dislike for him, i can tolerate him acting the d*ckhead in the media or towards other people aka taylor swift etc but when this d*ckhead personailty starts coming through in his music thats the cut off point, i cant listen to racism from a millionaire who's constantly feeling sorry for himself.

Wow, he compared himself to an imaginary sky friend! The audacity!

If somebody thinks about killing somebody for being an asshole in their music, then they have much bigger issues than the asshole musician.

Which by the way is probably very much intentionally played up here - love him or hate him, he'll still have everybody talking about him with little to no press and a very radio unfriendly sonic direction.

Maybe he is as smart as he claims to be.

Pitchfork have linked to a mixtape containing all the samples used in the album.
    http://pitchfork.com/news/51215-download-a-mixtape-of-samples-used-on-kanye-wests-yeezus/

Quite a mixed bag. You'd never get a compilation like that anywhere else!

• Advertisement

John Lennon was killed by a lunatic. End of. Anyone who decides they're going to murder a musician or "knock them the f*ck out" over a record or their public persona needs to get a grip.

I love the fact that this record is pissing people off so much. Kanye has always been one to deliberately set out to ruffle feathers and that's exactly what he's doing with this. I think there's quite a bit of punk inspiration here, as much as anything else. It's stuff like this that sets the best musicians apart - being divisive and provocative and in your face. I think Kanye himself would prefer that people either loved him or hated him than felt indifferent towards him.

Advertisement