Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Theres an awful lot of fan boy/girl snobbery going on here. I can see both sides of the coin, yes some people should have probably done a bit more youtube-ing before hand to see what they were in for. But also, I dont think its right to give NY carte blanche to do whatever he wants without reading the crowd/atmosphere on the night.

I was right at the front and I enjoyed it all. Some outro's went on way too long though and when I looked behind me at the stands it was obvious there was no atmosphere up there at all, surely he could see that too?
    I realise that he does this for himself, but surely there is no fun in performing to a bored/disconnected crowd? Would it not be more fun for him if the crowd was really into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Just think of me as one you'll never figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

really felt sorry for people in the stands, id say it was a terrible experience.. but their own fault, who goes to a rock concert to sit down :)

A lot of people who are close to Youngs age and not in as good a shape, anyone who wants to be dry etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Loved the gig. My biggest complaint would be that he finished at 10:45. There was just enough time to squeeze in a live jam of Like a Hurricane after Cortez.

Knew there'd be loads of complaints and felt sorry for those who came expecting a run down of the Greatest Hits but that's kinda the point of Crazy Horse: they're Young's avenue for his 20 minute long jams. Gigs in Ireland really are too expensive to end up not enjoying them so I can feel some sympathy though.

EDIT: Just read through some of the rest of the thread, didn't realise the sound was so bad at the back, I was just right of centre up the front and, while there was definitely some issues (unintentional feedback at times etc.) it was par for the course for a damp and windy out-door gig. Would agree that the facilities were poor too, the bar was a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

really felt sorry for people in the stands, id say it was a terrible experience.. but their own fault, who goes to a rock concert to sit down :)

Hey rick not everyone is 6 foot 8.
    Plenty of fans are vertically challenged, so they go to the stand so they can see. And not be looking at the back of some goons head.
    Just because some fans are in the stands doesn't make them any less of a 'fan'. People have reasons for being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Really...Jesus

i was around 20/30mtrs from front centre of stage and sound was reasonable... wasn't amazing but wasn't too bad.. the wind had a lot to do with this...

it was my 5th time seeing neil play and 2nd with crazy horse and i have enjoyed every concert immensely.. thought the setlist was good..

Rick. Immature post mate. My tickets were purchased for me as a present. Ever hear that concept? I would have stood but had to sit in Block M. I was there, the set list was great. I just couldn't hear anything or see anything. Therefore my experience was it was a ****e gig. That OK?

Oh, and Rick don't be so patronising as to say you felt sorry for people in the stand and then disclaim it was their own fault.

Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Rick. Immature post mate. My tickets were purchased for me as a present. Ever hear that concept? I would have stood but had to sit in Block M. I was there, the set list was great. I just couldn't hear anything or see anything. Therefore my experience was it was a ****e gig. That OK?

Oh, and Rick don't be so patronising as to say you felt sorry for people in the stand and then disclaim it was their own fault.

Grow up.

Why didn't you move down to the standing area when you couldnt see or hear anything? Were you not allowed or something?

Catmologen wrote: »
    Why didn't you move down to the standing area when you couldnt see or hear anything? Were you not allowed or something?

Not allowed by a yellow jkt!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

i was around 20/30mtrs from front centre of stage and sound was reasonable... wasn't amazing but wasn't too bad.. the wind had a lot to do with this...

it was my 5th time seeing neil play and 2nd with crazy horse and i have enjoyed every concert immensely.. thought the setlist was good..

Rick, some of us have no choice but to sit down(I'm a wheelchair user).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Not allowed by a yellow jkt!

Thats a joke :(

And another thing...
    Why do people keep referring to 'reading the poster...you should have known it was a rock gig'. My complaint like most others here isn't the set list. I loved the set list. The poster didn't say anything about crap sound and no big screen did it?

Catmologen wrote: »
    Thats a joke :(

I know. But I ain't laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Brutal review in the Times today. Very harsh I thought. Slated Young. Not that I care at all for critics. As I said in my original post I think the venue was the main issue. The critic was right about one thing a lot of people were disappointed. Some of the die hard Young Fans on here seem determined to blame audience ignorance as if we all turned up to see Heart of Gold. I understand their passionate defence of their idol but this is just not the case. I am a die hard fan and went with about ten others one who has seen Young ten times before and they all felt it was a poor show. I have seen Young twice before with Crazy Horse and will always go to see him n the future if I get the chance. But this was a poor gig with some good moments. It was way below the norm for Young and Crazy Horse. This was mainly due to the venue and poor planning leading to a low turnout and poor sound with no atmosphere. Especially so for a Young Crazy Horse concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The pre Leinster rugby rds was an amazing venue, those metallica shows where the stage was at the side (not the end) were great, I've been back since and it,was sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Sleepy wrote: »
    Loved the gig. My biggest complaint would be that he finished at 10:45. There was just enough time to squeeze in a live jam of Like a Hurricane after Cortez.

Just before they finished Cortez, I saw some guy at the side of the stage pointing to a clipboard so I guess they had just ran out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Divisadero wrote: »
    <...> The critic was right about one thing a lot of people were disappointed. Some of the die hard Young Fans on here seem determined to blame audience ignorance as if we all turned up to see Heart of Gold. I understand their passionate defence of their idol but this is just not the case. I am a die hard fan and went with about ten others one who has seen Young ten times before and they all felt it was a poor show. I have seen Young twice before with Crazy Horse and will always go to see him n the future if I get the chance. But this was a poor gig with some good moments. It was way below the norm for Young and Crazy Horse. This was mainly due to the venue and poor planning leading to a low turnout and poor sound with no atmosphere. Especially so for a Young Crazy Horse concert.
    I think you're on the button. And I'd agree that people are wrong to say the problem was people expecting to see Heart of Gold. I wasn't expecting any acoustic - but I do think that "Comes a Time" was one of the good moments of the night.

I hadn't seen them before, but my expectation would have been framed by "Rust Never Sleeps" - and I'm old enough to remember when that came out. So I'd have expected something suitably manic, like "Sedan Delivery" belting out. And, through all the poor sound and lack of interaction, I could pick out what it might have been like. But it wasn't. I really wanted to be impressed. But my honest reaction was "this is like Spinal Tap".

I still think his music is great, but I'd have to admit I wouldn't rush back to see him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Time Fades Away era Neil Young hated playing stadiums and "headed for the ditch". It's a shame he'd even agree to play somewhere like the RDS. I'm sure Billy, Poncho and Ralph could use the dough, but Neil sure doesn't.

And it's not like he's stopped caring. He played Vicar Street, the Ryman Theatre in Nashville was specially selected for that concert film, his London shows in 2008 were in the Hammersmith Odeon (not much bigger than the Olympia, which meant playing 4 nights)....

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hopefully the next time he comes back to Dublin, he plays indoors. The gig in 2009 at the O2 was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, its a completely different experience indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The pre Leinster rugby rds was an amazing venue, those metallica shows where the stage was at the side (not the end) were great, I've been back since and it,was sh1t

I hated it that way. We(wheelchair users) were way at the back, the views were s@!t. It's better this way, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

tommy2bad wrote: »
    as if we’ve all been allowed sit in on four stoned teenagers making a din in their garage one Sunday afternoon.

Sums it up exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Hopefully the next time he comes back to Dublin, he plays indoors. The gig in 2009 at the O2 was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, its a completely different experience indoors.

[FONT=Helv, sans-serif]Agree with this comment. I'm a big fan, have almost all his albums and I have seen NY three times: 1993, 1995 and 2009 at the O2. 1993, and 1995 giga were ok but the O2 gig in 2009 and it was amazing/incredible. He didn't talk to the crowd but he and his Chrome Dreams 2 band were on fire that night. They even played 'Burned' which is a bit of a concert rarity. What was strange about that gig was that it was the tail end of the same Chrome Dreams 2 tour at which the same band performed at Malahide Castle. I have friends who went there and they thought the Malahide 2008 gig was poor, self indulgent, all over the place - yet 12 months later at the O2, NY and the same band were excellent. As many people are saying and many people know, Neil pleases himself, so buy a Neil Young ticket at you peril if your cashflow is tight! [/FONT]

[FONT=Helv, sans-serif]I've always read that Neil blows hot and cold and I had a bad feeling about this RDS gig and wasn't going to part with my hard earned 70/80 euros too easily, so I didn't go. Half the problem seems to have been the promoters disgracefully not having decent sound or screens for what is a stadium gig. I also looked up the set list on this tour, (saw Blowing in the Wind), and guessed which way the wind was potentially blowing performance wise for this gig - so I said not this time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helv, sans-serif]But yeah, I'd say the promoters should hang their heads in shame, but it would be pointless saying that, because, as we all know, most Irish promoters have no shame...[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

He should play Slane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Goreme wrote: »
    [FONT=Helv, sans-serif]Agree with this comment. I'm a big fan, have almost all his albums and I have seen NY three times: 1993, 1995 and 2009 at the O2. 1993, and 1995 giga were ok but the O2 gig in 2009 and it was amazing/incredible. He didn't talk to the crowd but he and his Chrome Dreams 2 band were on fire that night. They even played 'Burned' which is a bit of a concert rarity. What was strange about that gig was that it was the tail end of the same Chrome Dreams 2 tour at which the same band performed at Malahide Castle. I have friends who went there and they thought the Malahide 2008 gig was poor, self indulgent, all over the place - yet 12 months later at the O2, NY and the same band were excellent. As many people are saying and many people know, Neil pleases himself, so buy a Neil Young ticket at you peril if your cashflow is tight! [/FONT]

[FONT=Helv, sans-serif]I've always read that Neil blows hot and cold and I had a bad feeling about this RDS gig and wasn't going to part with my hard earned 70/80 euros too easily, so I didn't go. Half the problem seems to have been the promoters disgracefully not having decent sound or screens for what is a stadium gig. I also looked up the set list on this tour, (saw Blowing in the Wind), and guessed which way the wind was potentially blowing performance wise for this gig - so I said not this time. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helv, sans-serif]But yeah, I'd say the promoters should hang their heads in shame, but it would be pointless saying that, because, as we all know, most Irish promoters have no shame...[/FONT]

Yeah I have no issue with people criticising the promoters because in fairness, the lack of screens was ridiculous. I think maybe us folks at the front were lucky with the sound, it was crystal clear where I was but if the sound at the back was poor, the promoters should be ashamed of themselves. Its the likes of the Irish Times review today that go on about the gig being poor, self indulgent rubbish that gets on my nerves. But I've already made my views clear on that, so I wont retype what I've already said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Interestingly, a similar setlist, with the same 10 minutes of feedback at the end of Giant, got a 4 Star review in The Times and a 5 Star review in The Guardian in different UK indoor arenas last week.

It is a shame it wasn't indoors.

I think it's agreed.

Setlist and performance = good (not great but good).

The RDS and Aiken = shocking.

Will I ever return to the RDS for a music gig? Never!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Having seen Bruce Springsteen last year at the RDS, with crap sound, I decided to sit out this one... Neil Young at O2 in Dublin and at the Apollo in London were top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Couldn't afford this at the moment but had to have a look here to live vicariously through some of you......I see half the people here bought tickets for Neil Young and Crazy Horse and were then stunned and bitterly disappointed that Neil Young and Crazy Horse went out and played Neil Young And Crazy Horse songs:confused:...wtf? he was too "self indulgent and there was too much feedback",its like going to Madonna and complaining she was dancing too much and didn't wear enough clothes......with any luck this will kill off a few of the morons who go to gigs they know nothing about and chat through it until they hear a song they know

The only thing I will say is im sure some were fooled by the radio ads,i didn't hear them myself,im presuming "Heart Of Gold" was in there,what else can anyone tell me?

But in fairness it really shouldn't come as a surprise to people going to Neil and The Horse that they would be playing 20 minute songs and endless solos.....THIS IS WHAT THEY DO AND HAVE DONE FOR OVER 40 YEARS

He was slated by many "fans" here too in Cork after the Marquee in 08,people were expecting him to do "After The Goldrush" and "Harvest" back to back I think and then take requests from the audience....i certainly wish I had 80 quid to blow on a gig I hadn't a clue about

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    The only way I can answer that is: If you hired someone to paint your house white, that had only ever painted things pink before, and only had pink paint, then you'd be the fool if you ended up with a pink house, not them!

Excellent answer sir!

• Advertisement

On the plus side, after tonight I doubt he'll ever attempt a free form jazz odyssey on a festival crowd.

Wouldn't bet on it,this is a man who not long after "Heart Of Gold" and the "Harvest" album made him a huge star went out and toured his new album he hadn't even released yet,playing the entire thing,sometimes twice in one night,for better or worse he couldn't give a toss about audience expectations(which is how I like my Neil)

Advertisement