Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can blast away if there are no houses nearby. That Knock stone ( a blue/yellow limestone) made its way onto many a Galway house facade around 2002 or so.

I heard a story about Folan coming across blue granite (original rockbreaker breaker) with only one house nearby. The oul fella living in the house was treated to a visit to England to see his brother and while he was away they blasted it.

He got an extra treat on his homecoming, a full set of new windows. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Just wondering does anyone know how this scheme is progressing?

Any updates from anyone passing through Ballaghaderreen lately or even some pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Goes quicker than I'd expect. I was thinking about taking some photographs yesterday, but forgot my camera. :(

But live close enough to take some pics later this week (if weather allow). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

Unregistered Users

Shot some photographs yesterday, to keep you updated. :)

Just to remind you - previous photosession starts here: [post]83343564[/post]

=====================

Note #1: entire area looks very quiet at the moment. Contractor's employees I talked to explained that is due to recent heavy rainfalls - ground became swampy, so it's unsafe to heavy machinery. Works will hopefully resume right after weekend. ;)

=====================

Note #2: my trip was planned to be in the same order as the previous one, so easy to compare before vs. after.

=====================

R293 crosses new N5, view to East:

253343.jpg

R293 will be on top of N5, bridge built-up in progress.

And close-up:

253344.jpg

Note #3: there's nothing to see further to the East - went there later - groundworks end where you see them on pictures above.

======================

R293 crosses N5, view to the West:

253345.jpg

======================

Site #2 (where the BOOM sign was last time), view to the South (across new N5):

253346.jpg

And view to the West:

253347.jpg

More pics soon.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Site #3 (minor changes here), view to the East:

253348.jpg

View to the West:

253349.jpg

Site #4, view to the North:

253350.jpg

And close-up:

253351.jpg

Unregistered Users

Site #5, view to the East:

253352.jpg

And West:

253353.jpg

Site #6:

253354.jpg

View to the East:

253355.jpg

And West:

253356.jpg

Heavy vehicles gathered here:

253357.jpg

One more post to follow.

Unregistered Users

Site #7, view to the East:

253358.jpg

View to the West:

253359.jpg

Close-up. Old N5 at the centre of the photo:

253360.jpg

Site #8. This is the place where new N5 will meet old N5. View to the East:

253361.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

joujoujou wrote: »
    Site #7, view to the East:

253358.jpg

View to the West:

253359.jpg

Close-up. Old N5 at the centre of the photo:

253360.jpg

Site #8. This is the place where new N5 will meet old N5. View to the East:

253361.jpg
    Journey time wise are we really going to see much improvement here? Safety wise great. Dublin mayo that bit safer but otherwise not much

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Journey time wise are we really going to see much improvement here? Safety wise great. Dublin mayo that bit safer but otherwise not much
    Both time and safety worth fighting for. ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dublin - Mayo, not a huge amount normally, but it will be quicker and likely have more overtaking opportunities.

Mayo - Dublin I've been held up for 45+ minutes before, one indecisive driver who can't understand hand signals can cause 5 minutes on their own.

This was the last place with common traffic caused delays on the way, the remaining issues are where you can be delayed by one driver...

Just been checking the map, It seems that it falls short of linking in with the Charlestown bypass/Flynn Expressway. Couple of miles of shoddy road remain towards Roscommon/Mayo border after its construction. Am i incorrect?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just been checking the map, It seems that it falls short of linking in with the Charlestown bypass/Flynn Expressway. Couple of miles of shoddy road remain towards Roscommon/Mayo border after its construction. Am i incorrect?

Nope, it meets the Charlestown Bypass. The border is the purple line, you can see where the bypass deviates from the old road just before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The new road joins at the end of the narrowest section of N5, the very short section between there and the Carracastle/Charlestown bypass was already wide and straight with hard shoulder. I'd imagine it will be blended in.

streetview

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yes, online widening of the existing N5 at the tie-in is likely. I went over it on Streetview last night in detail and I'm pretty sure the tie-in is right where the width starts to narrow.

Any updates on the progress of this project?

all bridges nearly built .well ahead of time

macker16 wrote: »
    all bridges nearly built .well ahead of time

Another fecking year before finish, cant imagine much progress updates for a bit. Not much to see from the mainline id imagine

I will try and get a few pictures up

• Advertisement

here ye go:cool::D

some more:p

At least its Looks like it should be ready for next years All-Ireland final. Straight non stop road from Frenchpark to Castlebar ;)

Thanks for posting those pics up Macker 16 - it looks like the Ballaghderreen bypass is making great progress. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

At least its Looks like it should be ready for next years All-Ireland final. Straight non stop road from Frenchpark to Castlebar ;)
    If ye get that far :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How are they progressing with this now? Have they an ETA on it? 2014 I presume :D

Unregistered Users

NRA.ie wrote:
    [...] It is anticipated that the road will be open to the public towards the end of 2014. [...]

Fingers crossed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Does the road look very narrow to anyone else? In all the places I have come into contact with it, it looks to be one lane each way with no hard shoulder......

Does the road look very narrow to anyone else? In all the places I have come into contact with it, it looks to be one lane each way with no hard shoulder......

That's fairly normal now, one (wide, but not what you're used to past Charlestown) lane and one metre hard strip each side. The wide lanes with wide shoulders are extremely dangerous as people get lulled in to a sense of them being high speed roads and start overtaking as if they're duallers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why didn't they amke this 2+2? I thought all National Primaries were heading that way these days. Surely wouldn't have cost a whole lot more really.

Advertisement