Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Bought that Weatherall mix years ago in Abbey Discs, first UK mix tape I ever bought. I'm sure I know one or two other tracks on it but can't think of them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Bought that Weatherall mix years ago in Abbey Discs, first UK mix tape I ever bought. I'm sure I know one or two other tracks on it but can't think of them at the moment.

His newer mixes are pure quality as well. Mixture of a few different styles, and a good few of them are around 3 hours long, a proper journey.

Just thought of this one, around 30 minutes into that Weatherall mix

es-cee wrote: »
    His newer mixes are pure quality as well. Mixture of a few different styles, and a good few of them are around 3 hours long, a proper journey.

He's playing in Twisted Pepper in two weeks. Wouldn't have minded checkin him out, have a stags on instead though

He's playing in Twisted Pepper in two weeks. Wouldn't have minded checkin him out, have a stags on instead though

If i had known i woulda stuck a few bob away. On my ballox atm though, haven't the price of a few cans tonight even lol.

• Advertisement

You should start putting the pennies away for Hardfloor, playing the Pepper on the 8th of June. The daddies of acid for me.

You should start putting the pennies away for Hardfloor, playing the Pepper on the 8th of June. The daddies of acid for me.

Yeah great they are, some wicked tunes alright. Can't beat the TP music-wise, best spot in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm looking for a tracklisting for an old tape, was entitled Gravity, live at Sides (I think)

Opened up with yum yum - 3 minute warning (fallout mix) - the one with the whale noises at the start

Also had Q-Sound, good night the return on it and partizan, keep your love

There were one or two seriously undergound early trance-house tunes I wouldn't mind putting names to on it

Anyone any ideas?

Won't argue with that. Love the Pepper when it's rockin. Did you go to Ben Sims at Easter by any chance? What a night!!!!

Won't argue with that. Love the Pepper when it's rockin. Did you go to Ben Sims at Easter by any chance? What a night!!!!

Haven't been in it since last year mate, Jeff Mills gig, great night that was also.
    Top spot alright, always enjoy myself, anytime i've been there.

• Advertisement

Just seen this now, on DJ Shock C's facebook page.

In October 1990 Coventry made dance music history...

That first Saturday night/Sunday morning experience was put on at the former Granada Bingo Hall in Lower Ford Street,Coventry,England.

The bingo hall had now been transformed into a 4 floored nightclub, and was also voted the best nightclub in the country in 1991 by fellow ravers through DJ Magazine. With a chill out space including a cinema on the ground floor, a second floor room enough to hold 500 people, and the main room on the top floor holding over a 1000 people including the balcony.

Every Friday and Saturday night would be filled by clubber's and raver's from all over Britain..

Act's such as :The Prodigy, K Klass, SL2, Altern 8, Moby, Shades of Rhythm and LFO all passed through it's door's with live p.a. set's.

Top dj's such as, The great grooverider,carl cox,sasha,frankie bones,Micky finn,top buzz etc,all graced the decks on a reguar basis,and two hour set's were the norm.

February 94,the club was closed.

At the time of closing more than one million people had passed through its doors and it had a standing membership of 74,000. .

Gone ..but never forgotten..here is my 1st tribute mix...please don't download and run,please share your thought's with us all,enjoy!

1.WHITE LIGHT - SECRET DESIRE (90)
    2. TORTUGA - AXE CORNER (91)
    3.FREE - X-STATIC (** NEIL SMITH)
    4. NO WAY OUT - FRANCESSCO ZAPPALA
    5.SIT ON THE BASS - AUTONATION
    6. RABBIT CITY 3 - DIGITAL DOMAIN
    7. STINGRAY - WHITE LABEL
    8.DANCEFLOOR JUSTICE - KINETIC (** MATT WOODMAN)
    9. GET DOWN - M.D.EMM
    10.N.H.S.- DOC SCOTT
    11.CAN YOU FEEL IT - ELEVATION
    12.ENERIZER 2
    13.INTIMIDATOR - SKANNA (** CHRIS JENNINGS )
    14.XULTATION E.P. - COSMO + DIBS
    15. HE NEVER LOST HIS HARDCORE - NRG
    16.SWITCH TO 33 - DJ PHANTASY + DJ GEMINI
    17.BAPTISED BY DUB - THE CRIMINAL MINDS (** ANDREW ROACH)
    18.RUSHIN - FUNKY JUNKY
    19.ANASTHASIA - T99
    20.SPACE TRAX VOL 1
    21.WHO'S HOUS'N? - DJ DD HASS
    22.DO YOU WANT ME - THE BROTHERS GRIMM
    23.TAKE NO CHANCE - XRAY XPERIMENTS
    24. OH SO NICE - COSMO + DIBS (91) (** ANDREW ROACH)
    25.GROOVE CREATOR - SHADES OF RHYTHM (DID A LIVE PA AT THE ECLIPSE)
    26.MY LOVE (AMBIENT DROPS) - COLLAPSE (** DAVE GROSVENOR )
    27. LAST RHYTHM - LAST RHYTHM
    28.NIGHTBIRD - CONVERT (FOR MATTHEW NEECH ,THANK YOU )
    29.EXPRESS YOURSELF (ORIGINAL DON MIX)- THE FAMILY FOUNDATION
    30.WE CAN RIDE THE BOOGIE - BUBBLES (** DAVID CARLETON )
    31.THE NIGHTWRITERS
    32. FEEL REAL GOOD - MANIX

MANY THANKS AGAIN TO Matthew Neech FOR THE ARTWORK ,BLESS

https://soundcloud.com/shock-c/eclipse-tribute-mix-vol-2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

Just came across this now decent mix

http://www.mixcloud.com/classic_house_mixes/paul-van-dyk-live-at-tresor-berlin-1997-16-01/

another good one here https://www.mixriot.com/content/paul-van-dyk-21-01-1997-kiss-100.............
    looking for track after Mulu - Desire (Shoot The Bimbo) any1 know let me no thanks:cool:

here is tracklist :

?
    ?
    Universal State Of Mind - All Because Of You
    Discodroids - Interspace
    The Freak & Mac Zimms - Submission
    Moonman - Don't Be Afraid
    Mulu - Desire (Shoot The Bimbo)
    ?
    Alex Whitcombe - Ice Rain
    Alex Whitcombe - Coming Home
    System 7 - Sirčnes (Marshall Jefferson Mix)
    ?
    Evolution - Look Up To The Light (ID Remix)
    ?
    Lil' Mo' Yin Yang - Reach (Basement Jaxx's 'Firecracker' Mix)
    ID ('I Know What's Good For You')

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Sound! I will have to attend this! I seen them play the Vaults and they were excellent ! even though the room wasn't as full as the room next door when Mark K was playing - in that it was even better.
    Would crawl over broken glass to see them again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

Maysa07 wrote: »
    Sound! I will have to attend this! I seen them play the Vaults and they were excellent ! even though the room wasn't as full as the room next door when Mark K was playing - in that it was even better.
    Would crawl over broken glass to see them again :pac:

Was at that gig in the Vaults meself. Hardfloor were top notch. Hardfloor's first appearance in Ireland for years and most people were in at Mark Kavanagh playing the same old tunes for the umpteenth time:rolleyes:

Was at that gig in the Vaults meself. Hardfloor were top notch. Hardfloor's first appearance in Ireland for years and most people were in at Mark Kavanagh playing the same old tunes for the umpteenth time:rolleyes:

Was the same, the night before, for that Asylum weekender thing. Shades Of Rhythm played to a packed vault, and Oliver Lieb played to an empty vault after they finished. Felt sorry for him, i remember Pablo saying to me, he was asking where everyone was lol.

Just the point you made there about "the same old tunes, for the umpteenth time". I couldn't agree more, those oldskool gigs will never capture the true oldskool feeling, by playing the "big" tunes all the time. Music back then (like now) was changing all the time, and new tunes were being released at a steady pace, same as they are today. So to just play those "anthems" at those gigs is criminal imo, all those forgotten gems that never get a look in, appart from on sites like this. I've nothing against "big tunes" or "anthems", they are anthems for a reason, but i'd like to go to an oldskool gig sometime, and actually not know what the DJ is going to play.

I was honestly surprised more people choose Mark over Hardfloor. you can see Mark play every 3rd or 4th week and some old school reunion gig. People just don't know there sounds eh :pac: .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

been looking for this tune quite awhile now..

stumbled upon this tune recently off a mix
    it has to be the same vinyl.. just a diff mix of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

Temple tune, should be in the temple theatre thread, not the oldskool one :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

http://retro-trax.com/

On this weekend absolutely gutted i cant make it i just dont have the funds, the line up is incredible and if its half as good as last year they are in for a treat, weather forecast as well is looking very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

FAO: Rocky Mangan and Locked1, lads can you email me a short biography of yourselves for the facebook invite event I'll be doing soon for this night on June 21st , just anywhere you may have played, who your rave influences are and when you started playing and your preferred style , doesn't have to be that long, also links to any of your mixes.

Cheers lads my email is
    Jonny68@gmail.com

• Advertisement

Advertisement