Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your warm up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Then you say that I'd be better off preparing to use those 20kg DBs by going for a bit of an auld jog first?

Not at all, I'm quite sure i said ...
    instead of grabbing a bench and lifting 20 kg's, you should warm up with 5 kg's
    I then went to on echo what others have said, I do cardio before i start my HIIT ..

You on the other hand confused Temperature with the topic which is warming up .. not increasing your core temp..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Not at all, I'm quite sure i said ...

I then went to on echo what others have said, I do cardio before i start my HIIT ..

You on the other hand confused Temperature with the topic which is warming up .. not increasing your core temp..

Define "warming up" for me then in this context.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Define "warming up" for me then in this context.

I think somebody needs a hug to day ... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

That's true, some still think that warm-up is performed to increase core temperature and then go on telling others to do some reading / research...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

I asked for a warm up a few months ago and tommyknocker posted a few videos that I since copy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80762456

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

cycle to the gym
    5 min cross trainer with resistance increases every minute
    foam rolling
    static stretching
    resistance band stretching
    a few BW exersises

then a few light weight warm up reps for whichever bodypart I'm working that day.

don't really warm down though, just sit in the pool for a while, steam room/sauna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Rossin wrote: »
    I asked for a warm up a few months ago and tommyknocker posted a few videos that I since copy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80762456

thank you, i saw that months ago, tried to copy it, but couldnt remember where i saw it, have been looking for it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

My warmup at the moment consists of:

Foam rolling
    mobility work on upper back and chest
    activation drills on scap
    some hip opening work
    light benching with ramp sets to a working weight

courtesy of James Hanley

this is specific for benching

My warmup, activates and primes the muscles I'm going to use in the workout, opens any tight areas to get me into better positioning and prevents injury from being in a bad position.
    If I was doing running (HIIT or cardio or whatever) I'd change the warmup to do the same for the muscles around the hips, knees and ankles, don't think I'd get straight into an impact exercise like running for 10 mins to get ready for doing HIIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

diegowhite wrote: »
    My warmup at the moment consists of:

Foam rolling
    mobility work on upper back and chest
    activation drills on scap
    some hip opening work
    light benching with ramp sets to a working weight

courtesy of James Hanley

this is specific for benching

My warmup, activates and primes the muscles I'm going to use in the workout, opens any tight areas to get me into better positioning and prevents injury from being in a bad position.
    If I was doing running (HIIT or cardio or whatever) I'd change the warmup to do the same for the muscles around the hips, knees and ankles, don't think I'd get straight into an impact exercise like running for 10 mins to get ready for doing HIIT
    So...shoulder and hip mobility and stability work. Sounds awesome. You should thank James Hanley for that every day you go to the gym. You are lucky to have a knowledgeable trainer taking care of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I think somebody needs a hug to day ... :rolleyes:

Great answer.
    Well done.

A0 wrote: »
    That's true, some still think that warm-up is performed to increase core temperature and then go on telling others to do some reading / research...

Some do still think that.
    They are wrong.
    Reading is good.
    Try it some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Why are people making "warming up" so complicated??

Do what you must to execute what you are about to do in your session, anything more is a waste of time and time which could be spent on your training specifics!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

I do be so shattered after my 'Warm Up' that I find I'm 'Warming Down' before Ive even got on to my programme....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Da Za wrote: »
    Why are people making "warming up" so complicated??

Do what you must to execute what you are about to do in your session, anything more is a waste of time and time which could be spent on your training specifics!
    Because for the majority of people...and when I say majority I don't mean 51% I mean probably closer to 97% of people the warm up, prehab/mobility stuff and probably their cardio has way more of a positive effect on their health and fitness than all the stuff they do that they call training. I'd say the majority of people and when I say majority I'd say closer to 51% of people are probably doing more damage to themselves long term with their 'training' than they are having a positive impact on their health and fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

Some do still think that.
    They are wrong.
    Reading is good.
    Try it some time.

Don't be upset ;) glad you admit it - and we will all follow your instructions inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Because for the majority of people...and when I say majority I don't mean 51% I mean probably closer to 97% of people the warm up, prehab/mobility stuff and probably their cardio has way more of a positive effect on their health and fitness than all the stuff they do that they call training. I'd say the majority of people and when I say majority I'd say closer to 51% of people are probably doing more damage to themselves long term with their 'training' than they are having a positive impact on their health and fitness.

I shouldn't have forgotten who my audience was here.

As you have reiterated this is a Health and Fitness forum and then the goal by association must be to be fitter and healthier.

Nutrition is huge in this. Also, the majority of Irish people and by majority I mean closer to 97% then 51% drink in excess and partake in unhealthy activities which in turn causes more damage.

My goal for instance is not health and fitness but that can come as a byproduct of what I do!

All restorative work can also be completed on non-'training' days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭RomanGod

My warmup is your workout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

pre-gym (when I can)
    some light mobility work ala the vid Rossin posted, foam rolling and shoulder dislocates.

at the gym, depending on the day more of the video stuff, but more prolonged duration, then I try to add more stretches in for my legs and shoulders.

Plenty of BW squats.

Then to the rack, for a few squats :
    5x20
    5x30
    5x40
    into work weight sets.

same for each exercise.

For the boxing and Bjj
    I do a pre warm up at home, then the dynamic stretching before the class begins, then join in with the group warm up:
    Boxing: shadow box 2 mins, 10 squats, 10 press ups 10 situps 2 mins shadow box repeat until the instructor sees me start to cry.
    fire hydrants, back leg raises, neck and shoulder mobility.

Bjj is usually joint mobility, esp. neck wrists and ankles.
    then shrimping, gorilla walks, forward and back rolls, "spider-man" crawls (not too sure what they are called but I'm sticking with that name).

Ive found that its the warm up that usually kills me in the classes. often have to sit out a move and catch up. while everyone else is slightly out of breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Because for the majority of people.....the warm up, prehab/mobility stuff and probably their cardio has way more of a positive effect on their health and fitness than all the stuff they do that they call training.

Shush! All you're going to do now is make a queue for floor space in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

2km run first 1km at 12 k/ph, then i up the speed every 100m for the next km then i hit the weights

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

6 mins on an elliptical

Foam roll calves, quads, lats, upper back. Roll glutes and hams with baseball.

Dynamic warmup
    -toe walks
    -heel walks
    -jogging hIgh knees
    -jogging arse kicks
    -no. 8 of the warmup poster in my physios office :)

Stretch hip flexors, hams, glutes and pecs.

Shoulder dislocates, scaps push ups and pull ups. Monster walks with band.

Is that a warmup? After it I lift things so I think so. The "warm up" is designed to fix me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Brian? wrote: »
    6 mins on an elliptical

Foam roll calves, quads, lats, upper back. Roll glutes and hams with baseball.

Dynamic warmup
    -toe walks
    -heel walks
    -jogging hIgh knees
    -jogging arse kicks
    -no. 8 of the warmup poster in my physios office :)

Stretch hip flexors, hams, glutes and pecs.

Shoulder dislocates, scaps push ups and pull ups. Monster walks with band.

Is that a warmup? After it I lift things so I think so. The "warm up" is designed to fix me.

How long roughly would that warm up take you to do?
    And do you do that same warm up before every workout or do you change it up?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How long roughly would that warm up take you to do?
    And do you do that same warm up before every workout or do you change it up?

Takes about 30 minutes. I do it every time, because I'm still half broken. I don't wish to be fully broken again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Scap pushups, scap rows, band pullaparts, shoulder dislocates.

or;

Foam, rolling, thoracic mobility, Leg raises, fire hydrants, mountain climbers, wall slides, shoulder dislocates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

john_cappa wrote: »
    I have always found it bizarre that people often warm up for doing weights by doing cardio!

e.g. I do 10 min brisk walk then 10 mins on the rower and by them i am warmed up fir doing my weights etc.

Ive always found it odd that people would warm up with weights by rowing!

Advertisement