Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

This game is slightly creepy...good shout on the ladies across from ya taking pics earlier though. They were awful nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Nice to see you're working hard, lads. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

IT125G is locked btw

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    *looks around suspiciously looking for someone who looks like a Timmy...*

At least they're quiet, you gotta give em that! I can handle whispering, don't mind it at all but when it's deadly quiet and then someone just starts talking at normal voice it seems odd - if I did that, I'd feel so bad about how I just broke a nice silence :/

Do you ever study in it102? The noise in there is crazy and all not college related!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

Hate to break it to you but the IT labs are actually just for IT students and are not the library/reading room. This is why they have IT only log ins and have much fewer restrictions than the open suites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

IT125G is locked btw

Can ask for it to be opened. 250 and 125 are open all the time.

@Keesa - that's what I've getting slated for apparo it's ridiculous to expect the IT labs to remain for IT students. :rolleyes: I see signs on Science seminar rooms saying they are strictly for Science students only and no one complains yet when we IT students cant access our IT projects its just hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Can ask for it to be opened. 250 and 125 are open all the time.

@Keesa - that's what I've getting slated for apparo it's ridiculous to expect the IT labs to remain for IT students. :rolleyes: I see signs on Science seminar rooms saying they are strictly for Science students only and no one complains yet when we IT students cant access our IT projects its just hard luck.

Have you talked to you dept about booking a room? I know the science seminar rooms are usually reserved by the individual schools for their fourth year students. When I was in third year I booked a room in my dept quite a bit, told people in my class and we had study groups or just studied there.

But they HAVE rooms! I'd say put up a sign and hopefully people will get scared

keesa wrote: »
    But they HAVE rooms! I'd say put up a sign and hopefully people will get scared

Hahah. WallyGUFC up there did. No one took notice. Shows how much people care about us lowly IT students :/

Just sign into all the computers and open important looking files that'll stop them plugging them out

• Advertisement

I think compulsory regular showers/clothes washing needs to be introduced in college

I think a sign may work, but placed nearer the handle perhaps where even those of lower intellect can see it. The idea to log onto every computer is a good one too, but you'd have to be awful early. Anyway, people would probably still use them. Only job it seems is to put up a sign, lock the doors and have one of the lads act as doorman. Timmy being my choice for that task.

cat_xx wrote: »
    Do you ever study in it102? The noise in there is crazy and all not college related!!
    Do you do IT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Do you do IT?

From what I gather, our feline friend is doing the LLB. So she's actually violating the sign on the door of 102 (not sure about 101) and 314 (if she even know about that one) if she's in those studying... ooooooooooohhhhh!

It is annoying not being able to access the IT network drive from anywhere else on campus, even more annoying not being able to access it from the only place you can access it because the suites are being taken up by non-IT folks.

There should be card access for all of the rooms. The downstairs ones don't need the door open like upstairs either, so people wouldn't just wander in. Card deters people from 101A anyway, because even the GIANT sign saying FINAL YEAR PROJECT LAB doesn't work for some people. Sometimes, the fact the door doesn't open when they force it barely deters them.

From what I gather, our feline friend is doing the LLB. So she's actually violating the sign on the door of 102 (not sure about 101) and 314 (if she even know about that one) if she's in those studying... ooooooooooohhhhh!

It is annoying not being able to access the IT network drive from anywhere else on campus, even more annoying not being able to access it from the only place you can access it because the suites are being taken up by non-IT folks.

There should be card access for all of the rooms. The downstairs ones don't need the door open like upstairs either, so people wouldn't just wander in. Card deters people from 101A anyway, because even the GIANT sign saying FINAL YEAR PROJECT LAB doesn't work for some people. Sometimes, the fact the door doesn't open when they force it barely deters them.

One fears we might end up putting so much thought into a plot so elaborate we miss out on our chances to study :P

314 has gotten verrry serious since my day! Absolute silence, not a word! And this was before exam time! Rule sign on the door too about unauthorised people, maybe you could try that for 101 and 102?

314 has gotten verrry serious since my day! Absolute silence, not a word! And this was before exam time! Rule sign on the door too about unauthorised people, maybe you could try that for 101 and 102?
    While it's not as bad as 102, there are still a few with enough cheek for another arse that clearly don't do IT. That would be an ideal lab if it wasn't so bloody roasting all the time!

When I was in final year they put in air conditioning. It was bloody freezing! We asked them to turn it down, but they just turned it off. I'm sure it's still there if you asked...

When I was in final year they put in air conditioning. It was bloody freezing! We asked them to turn it down, but they just turned it off. I'm sure it's still there if you asked...

Really?? Maybe they took so much offence to you asking them to turn it down they got M. Madden to rip it out of the roof with his bare hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I've asked, to no avail of yet though!

• Advertisement

I was in there twice a few weeks ago and didn't know it was an I.t lab. Haven't gone in there since! I was just very surprised at how people were acting in the room that's all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

cat_xx wrote: »
    I was in there twice a few weeks ago and didn't know it was an I.t lab. Haven't gone in there since! I was just very surprised at how people were acting in the room that's all!

The sense of entitlement is strong in this one. Rather than focus on what IT people do in the IT labs. Why not complain that there's not enough computers for you in the other computer labs? In fact, I bet nobody on this whole thread has actually made a complaint to the University and followed through with it.

New library should sort things out. And I don't think they'd approve of me hosing down the stinkers anyway. Probably bring something up about bullying, public safety etc

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

New library should sort things out.

When will that happen though? Apparently the new building has 0 undergraduate spaces.
    http://nuigarchives.blogspot.ie/2012/03/new-home-for-archives-at-nui-galway.html

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The sense of entitlement is strong in this one. Rather than focus on what IT people do in the IT labs. Why not complain that there's not enough computers for you in the other computer labs? In fact, I bet nobody on this whole thread has actually made a complaint to the University and followed through with it.

Like I said I wasn't aware it was an I.t lab I went there because there was stuff on in other general access suites. I rarely go into a computer suite and there were a lot of other non I.t students in there as there were no signs to say otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

AD61 wrote: »

And at the entrance of lecture theatres for taking attendance

"This is a project to specify, select and implement a single lecture theatre pilot and investigate a follow on production system that collects and analyses data on student attendance at the principal lecture halls and teaching rooms. The system will use the existing student campus cards, card readers and software to record and analyse student attendance at lectures. The NUI Galway implementation is complicated in that there is no University wide time-tabling software that identifies lectures/tutorials, modules, rooms and the time they are taking place."

FFS. That's crazy. If people dont want to go to lectures then let them. It's their degree. Some lecturers are pure shiit and detrimental to your learning if you go. Sometimes you can learn far more in the library by yourself. Forcing those to go who dont want to be there just ends up with people at the back messing around and not listening.

AD61 wrote: »
    When will that happen though? Apparently the new building has 0 undergraduate spaces.
    http://nuigarchives.blogspot.ie/2012/03/new-home-for-archives-at-nui-galway.html

Well that's a pile of crap now isn't it... Good thing this is my last year...

And at the entrance of lecture theatres for taking attendance

"This is a project to specify, select and implement a single lecture theatre pilot and investigate a follow on production system that collects and analyses data on student attendance at the principal lecture halls and teaching rooms. The system will use the existing student campus cards, card readers and software to record and analyse student attendance at lectures. The NUI Galway implementation is complicated in that there is no University wide time-tabling software that identifies lectures/tutorials, modules, rooms and the time they are taking place."

FFS. That's crazy. If people dont want to go to lectures then let them. It's their degree. Some lecturers are pure shiit and detrimental to your learning if you go. Sometimes you can learn far more in the library by yourself. Forcing those to go who dont want to be there just ends up with people at the back messing around and not listening.

Couldn't agree more. Some people read out an exact copy of the notes put on blackboard with the enthusiasm of an overweight cat. Going to those lectures and having to sit through 40mins of a non airconditioned sweatbox lecture (I'm looking at you kirwan) really does nothing for you over reading the notes yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

The head of my school explained to me that the lecturers hate taking attendance as it's just a nuisance and that it's some of the higher ups in the college and grant awarding bodies that demand attendance be taken. It is brought up at examination meetings if you're close to a higher grade or whatever.

Advertisement