Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beef Discussion Group

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

J DEERE wrote: »
    Are the dividing barriers removable?

As for the feed barrier, you only want enough space for them to be able to get their head out so I'd be saying 15inches maybe. Should be enough room for them to put their head out but narrow enough to catch them at the shoulders if they try to get out.

Could you leave them normal width incase you want to use the pen for bigger cattle in the future some time, you could clamp on an 1" 1/2 straight bar up say half way along the horizontal barrier and this would stop the small cattle from getting through?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Farm Master

Have been threating to put in a new crush for the last few years as the old one was put up when we were milking and is not suitable for the stock on the farm now, I am farming sucklers through to beef (Angus, 15 cows) and was wondering wheather to go for a fully automatic gate or semi-automatic and what make. Cashels seems to be the most popular round here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I dosed and injected up to 60 weanlings in an hour without breaking a sweat...

Do you use a standard syringe J DEERE?

I seen Adam on countryfile injecting sheep a few months ago. He had a backpack fed gun type syringe. The syringe refilled itself and needle protruded and retracted by pulling a trigger. Thought it a great idea.

Anyone using something like this for cattle? Is it a success? Recommend any specific brand etc?

thanks

Muckit

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Muckit wrote: »

I seen Adam on countryfile injecting sheep a few months ago. He had a backpack fed gun type syringe. The syringe refilled itself and needle protruded and retracted by pulling a trigger. Thought it a great idea.

Anyone using something like this for cattle? Is it a success? Recommend any specific brand etc?

thanks

Muckit

Yeah, we use one for the black leg vacine. But its not backpack fed.
    The vaccine container sits on top and its a handgun kind of shape as your holding it.
    Squezze the hand grip to inject and it reloads automatically on a spring when you release the handgrip.

Very handy if your dosing a big group. Its gonna save you at least half a minute per animal.
    Was injecting without it a while ago and I only realised then how much time it was saving me.
    Ideal for vaccines cos it only loads up a few ml, think the max is 6/8ml

Worth its weight in gold

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

thanks

Muckit

Yea just use a standard syringe and leave the bottle on a barrel as I go along. Using Animec this year, bought a special promo pack 2ltrs for 140 and came with a self-filling syringe and cap for the top of a bottle. Always found that I spend more time injecting with them than if I was just filling a standard syringe.

Have vaccinated using these before. A great piece of equipment for vaccinating

http://www.buyritesolutions.ie/proddetail.php?prod=AE0211

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

just do it wrote: »
    I put a side door off the gable end pen in the slatted house this Spring. This has greatly improved the flow of cattle in and out. Then within the door there is a smaller door that acts as a creep gate for calves. I'll take a few pictures later
    Here it is over on the photo thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79824243&postcount=2308

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I see in da comic that Justin is leaving and going to work with ABP, I wish him all the best there, wonder what he'll be doing there. Also there will be 36 farmers in the better farmers group, it's been expanded to include non-suckler beef farmers, and 2 pages!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

blue5000 wrote: »
    ...I see in da comic that Justin is leaving ...
    He'll be a big loss. Beef editor was a fairly influential position. How long was he with them? It doesn't seem that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

I see in da comic that Justin is leaving and going to work with ABP, I wish him all the best there, wonder what he'll be doing there. Also there will be 36 farmers in the better farmers group, it's been expanded to include non-suckler beef farmers, and 2 pages!

No big surprise - his role has been advertised now for a few months.

Good to see the BETTER programme expanded to non-suckler farms IMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

What's he going doing with ABP? Element of taking the Queen's shilling about this move I'd say?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Every county will now have a "better farm". This will allow for more land quality specific research and demonstration. A good thing in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

pakalasa wrote: »
    He'll be a big loss. Beef editor was a fairly influential position. How long was he with them? It doesn't seem that long.

poacher turned gamekeeper so. Do you really think the beef editor is an influential position either now or going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 majorsharpes

We buy in 30-40 calves in Feb/Mar, mainly Friesian bulls. Up to now we have been using the immersion for inside to mix milk but will convert an old milking parlour/dairy this year and install a water heater for mixing milk. Can see this being worthwhile as I see myself rearing calves every year and will probably increase the numbers I rear in the future. Been considering buying some autumn born calves to see how we get on with them.

sorry i'm confused did u mean to make an entire cattle shed out of the parlour? just curious bout other ideas as like most other beef farmers who left dairy in the past 2 decades, we have a perfect building in the middle of the yard collecting dust

• Registered Users Posts: 12 majorsharpes

We buy in 30-40 calves in Feb/Mar, mainly Friesian bulls. Up to now we have been using the immersion for inside to mix milk but will convert an old milking parlour/dairy this year and install a water heater for mixing milk. Can see this being worthwhile as I see myself rearing calves every year and will probably increase the numbers I rear in the future. Been considering buying some autumn born calves to see how we get on with them.

sorry i'm confused did u mean to make an entire cattle shed out of the parlour? just curious bout other ideas as like most other beef farmers who left dairy in the past 2 decades, we have a perfect building in the middle of the yard collecting dust

scratch that last one there lads i was trying to qoute a fella and i messed it up

scratch that last one there lads i was trying to qoute a fella and i messed it up
    You can delete a post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Have any of ye weaned Spring calves yet? Debating it here at the moment. The cows and calves have to come back in this evening due to ground conditions and short supplies of grass. I've been creeping the calves the best I can, they're eating 1kg of meal at the moment. They creep under a wire and high stake pulled halfway across the paddock. The cows have been marching up and down this wire, poaching and its only a matter of time before they break it I reckon.

Grass is running scarce here and demand is building daily. Had Spring calvers in for two weeks in July hoping to build covers but no such luck. Cut silage about 10-12 days ago but no regrowth. Stocking rate of 1.8LU/Ha. The Autumn calvers are starting to calve and I have Friesian bull weanlings that I hope to have fit for sale in about 6-8 weeks. I'm thinking with the way the year has gone, weather etc the best option might be to wean the Spring weanlings and prioritise what grass I have for weanlings and Autumn calvers. I can feed the Spring cows silage and straw for maintenance. The calves were wormed about ten days ago, no signs of coughing at the minute.

Would the Spring weanlings thrive better if they were getting fresh grass and 2kg of a 14% ration as opposed to being housed again, left on the cows and getting ration? Basically, would grass be better than milk for these weanlings at the moment. And would weaning these calves two months earlier than normal affect weight at say 12 or 15 months?

Have any of ye weaned Spring calves yet? Debating it here at the moment. The cows and calves have to come back in this evening due to ground conditions and short supplies of grass. I've been creeping the calves the best I can, they're eating 1kg of meal at the moment. They creep under a wire and high stake pulled halfway across the paddock. The cows have been marching up and down this wire, poaching and its only a matter of time before they break it I reckon.

Grass is running scarce here and demand is building daily. Had Spring calvers in for two weeks in July hoping to build covers but no such luck. Cut silage about 10-12 days ago but no regrowth. Stocking rate of 1.8LU/Ha. The Autumn calvers are starting to calve and I have Friesian bull weanlings that I hope to have fit for sale in about 6-8 weeks. I'm thinking with the way the year has gone, weather etc the best option might be to wean the Spring weanlings and prioritise what grass I have for weanlings and Autumn calvers. I can feed the Spring cows silage and straw for maintenance. The calves were wormed about ten days ago, no signs of coughing at the minute.

Would the Spring weanlings thrive better if they were getting fresh grass and 2kg of a 14% ration as opposed to being housed again, left on the cows and getting ration? Basically, would grass be better than milk for these weanlings at the moment. And would weaning these calves two months earlier than normal affect weight at say 12 or 15 months?
    Sounds like it's what you need to do to manage your current situation. The only other option which might be available to you is house the cows and calves and let the calved out by day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Think Justin wrote something about that in this weeks Journal. Reckoned a calf of 230kg or more if I remember correctly, is better off on grass and meal, than sucking the cow. I'm planning early weaning myself, to try maximise what I have left by way of grass etc,.

OP can you hang on till the end of the month? Summer mastitis might cause problems in the cows.
    What age/ weight are the spring born calves?

Have you spread N on the aftergrass?

With most discussion groups under way for their second year, I thought it might be interesting to resurect this thread.

What did people talk about in their most recent meeting.

Ours was last week and we focused on calving and health within the first month for calves. (Our group has a late calving average). We also spoke about minerals pre calving. Vet spoke about the importance of iodine bolus after the wet year for calf health, preventing cows retaining cleanings and cow fertility.

Vet also spoke about the importance of biestings as well as the dangers of importing biestings from other farms. She also gave a run down on the quality of biestings and the general trend from her was that biestings from a dairy cow contain only half of the antibodies of a suckler cow.

She also did a big run down on scour and it turned out that the vast majority of the group do not vaccinate against scour.

Very positive meeting - learned an awful lot.

• Advertisement

A very valuable lesson is being learnt in our 'inside the farm gate' little discussion group...... ie putting a value on grazed grass.

Below is an example which is demonstrating how steps taken in 2012 are literally 'paying off' presently in spring in 2013.

Last summer some of you may recall that I posted pics of some grazing ground that got too heavy and subsequently baled. In a normal year the cattle would have been allowed in to graze it, they would have wasted a lot of it and I'd have had to come in with the topper afterwards. I'd also have been chasing my tail topping extra paddocks as the ripple effect of this went onto the following paddocks.

I was cutting meadow at the same time so got contractor to cut this at same time. I got 35 extra bales off this grazing ground, costing €11 a pop each to make. No additional fertilizer was applied to this ground like the meadow. Only 'hassle' to me was bringing them in, but it was a short draw as they were literally beside the yard.

I threw up a few posters locally (cost = €0) and have been selling these bales locally from the yard now the past few weeks @ €30 a pop. Every time a lad comes in with a small builder trailer and I load 2 on, I'm shoving €60 into my back pocket. These 35bales will not only pay for themselves, but will pay for 60 bales for my own use, with minimal extra hassle or expense.

I think it's eventually starting to sink in with the oul lad now :rolleyes: He's mad to get the weanlings out this spring so we'I have more bales to sell!

It's imperative that livestock farmers put a value on grazed grass. If it's not there, then what's the substitute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

reilig wrote: »
    .... She also gave a run down on the quality of biestings and the general trend from her was that biestings from a dairy cow contain only half of the antibodies of a suckler cow.....
    Not just dairy cows, but very milky suckler cows. I think you can see it in the colour of the beastings. The darker the yellow colour, the better....I think anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Not just dairy cows, but very milky suckler cows. I think you can see it in the colour of the beastings. The darker the yellow colour, the better....I think anyway.
    I never knew that , you learn something new everyday

That's 100% right.
    She said "cows bred to produce milk" - I never even took milky sucklers into account, but should have!

Grass was our main topic. Heard of a place that let in a bunch of sheep over the winter to graze the long grass off one field for FREE! Naturally they went everywhere. There will be no grass on that farm till mid April at the earliest.

A lot of people wondering if it is paying to keep suckler cows at all, especially with the heavy bulls not being wanted anymore.

A lot of people wondering if it is paying to keep suckler cows at all, especially with the heavy bulls not being wanted anymore.

Ah now now off you go... don't be coming on here with that sort of oul chat rising the head of moderators!! :P

but I kinda agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Every time a lad comes in with a small builder trailer and I load 2 on, I'm shoving €60 into my back pocket.

says he to the taxman:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I threw up a few posters locally (cost = €0) and have been selling these bales locally from the yard now the past few weeks @ €30 a pop. Every time a lad comes in with a small builder trailer and I load 2 on, I'm shoving €60 into my back pocket. These 35bales will not only pay for themselves, but will pay for 60 bales for my own use, with minimal extra hassle or expense.

I think it's eventually starting to sink in with the oul lad now :rolleyes: He's mad to get the weanlings out this spring so we'I have more bales to sell!
    QUOTE]

I suuppose they are all paying you by cheque:o

Nice one Muckit.

Ah now now off you go... don't be coming on here with that sort of oul chat rising the head of moderators!! :P

but I kinda agree with you

There's not future in any type of farming other than dairying if you believe everything that people write on here. ;)

If there's one thing we should learn from farming from the last 100 years, it's that nobody has been able to predict what the future holds and what's predicted rarely happens and if it does, it's only by chance and not through planning :p

Future will be what you make it :D

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    If there's one thing we should learn from farming from the last 100 years, it's that nobody has been able to predict what the future holds

I think it's gas how bull beef was being pushed so hard for the last few years. Anyone that wasn't at it, wasn't at anything. Now only last week, a big article in the comic about castration! That bulls are out of favour because too expensive to get contentials bulls finished under 16mths without a lot of labour intensive grass management, meal and €€€€.

Also the article on showing the correct injection site locations.... a fine big CH bullock!

Feck all mention of Italy this or that now!!!!! :p

Your right.... who could have predicted it!! (me:D:D)

Advertisement