Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

For the Hyundai it's gotta be the big 2.7L V6, a monsterous 172BHP. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Those Hyundai's will never be a classic Ed. To be a classic it has to be somewhat cool and have some distinctive features. The Coupe looks good and is cheap. Not a recipe for a classic IMO of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

166man wrote: »
    Those Hyundai's will never be a classic Ed. To be a classic it has to be somewhat cool and have some distinctive features. The Coupe looks good and is cheap. Not a recipe for a classic IMO of course.
    If they survive long enough theyll fit into the slot where nissann nx100, or Mazda mx3, or ford probe etc fit now. A certain amount of "ironic" coolness maybe, and without the power-to-weight of older jap coupes (probe is a Mazda 626 coupee, kinda)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Lovely mileage.

Lovely mileage, crazy money ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

166man wrote: »

If a K30 corolla can be considered a classic then a stylish coupe that mimicked a Ferrari can surely be part of the club. I'll bet you any money they'll be sought after in 25 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

If a K30 corolla can be considered a classic then a stylish coupe that mimicked a Ferrari can surely be part of the club. I'll bet you any money they'll be sought after in 25 years.

Couldn't agree more, a car is absolutely beyond hateful to us will be highly sought after by someone.

Just look at the Edsel for example!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They're meant to handle well to be fair, and with 0-60 in 7 seconds they're not too slow.
    No reason they won't be sought after I'd there's a clean one to be had.

Very cheap family motoring thats reliable, safe and simple to maintain.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4511406

View2-17233607.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The reason the K30 became a classic was because of it's exteamly durable mechanics and it's reliability advantage over many of it's competitors at the time. It's also rear wheel drive making it popular with the drifting community.

Them Hyundai coupes have no redeming features to make them a classic imo. Yes they are reliable(ish) but are no more reliable than many other cars at the time. They also have coarse underpowered engines and don't age well with many suffering from dull paintwork and body dings. Couple all this with the subjective styling and fwd layout and you have nothing special imo..It's basically just an elantra in a diffrent frock.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    The reason the K30 became a classic was because of it's exteamly durable mechanics and it's reliability advantage over many of it's competitors at the time.

I know times are different but c'mon, lets be fair here. A K30 owner needed to make a trip to IVI every coupe of years for a new heart and none of the ones I ever remember being in ever had a complete floor. They also came with the worst vinyl interiors ever and handled with the grace of a drunk Russian coming down the stairs on a moving bus.

Rose tinted glasses are good IMO, its what classics are born from and its why the Hyundai will probably be a classic in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I know times are different but c'mon, lets be fair here. A K30 owner needed to make a trip to IVI every coupe of years for a new heart and none of the ones I ever remember being in ever had a complete floor. They also came with the worst vinyl interiors ever and handled with the grace of a drunk Russian coming down the stairs on a moving bus.

Rose tinted glasses are good IMO, its what classics are born from and its why the Hyundai will probably be a classic in years to come.
    Il give a fairer example so. A honda civic Em1 coupe. These are far better quality than the hyundai coupes and come with that sweet b16 dohc vtec engine, handle better and look better imo(standard). A standard one of these will deffinatley be a classic in years to come and will be far more sought after than those hyundais.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Il give a fairer example so. A honda civic Em1 coupe. These are far better quality than the hyundai coupes and come with that sweet b16 dohc vtec engine, handle better and look better imo(standard). A standard one of these will deffinatley be a classic in years to come and will be far more sought after than those hyundais.

We could argue all night. They'll probably both be classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Possible modern classic in the making!!!!! Although I'd say the pre facelift Mk1 of these is the real modern classic in the future, mark my words.

I agree a clean mark 1 Hyundai Coupe will be desirable when it hits 25 years old +

The facelifted mark 1 will never be loved, I'd also wager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

You do not know how much I've waited to see Arthur Daley make an appearance in this thread :D:D:D

Is not young, its got big miles, but for the money you'd struggle to buy a better diesel estate car

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4497637

View2-17169939.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4505195

probably got no NCT, potentially hidden problems but a nice little bargain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4505195

probably got no NCT, potentially hidden problems but a nice little bargain there.

Always wanted one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Always wanted one of them.

likewise, unfortunately thats only the 140bhp version and the price suggests it might be getting fond of oil maybe, still if i only had a grand and was in the market, it's probably worth a look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Very good find. Seems to be in fantastic condition and mileage by no means severe assuming she was reasonably well maintained. I remember not too long back these were asking (making???) silly money by comparison.

Certainly a modern classic in the making (if not considered so already at this stage) unlike the Hyundai Coupe that was suggested a few pages back (I thought about it and sorry but would have to disagree with you on that one)....thats just my opinion though...I've being wrong more than once before.

If your smart about it and kept it well I can't see how you'd loose money on the Audi and only stand to make a few quid on it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

likewise, unfortunately thats only the 140bhp version and the price suggests it might be getting fond of oil maybe,

Yerrah don't they all burn a drop of oil. I've never drove one of them Celicas but would imagine the the 140bhp is no slouch all the same (of course we'd all want the 190bhp version though).

I'm repeating meself now but doesn't it just crack you up the way David the seller mentions "this is the cleanest available in Ireland". No doubt its clean but what qualifies him to make a statment like that thats more than likely factually incorrect. Has he seen all the Celicas in Ireland?

It has got over a months NCT left on it though...Probably gives you time to sort out what is apparent that needs doing and book her in more than anything

You know one of the great things about this thread is, so long as you're not a reg plate snob, for peanuts you can actually swan around in some fantastic cars for next to nothing.

I know some people suggest Bangernomics should only be about the cheapest way of motoring in every regard i.e. a 1 litre car in poverty spec, taxed and tested for a year. I disagree tbh.

Take the Audi I posted. Nobody in the world would blink an eye lid at its reg. Infact you'd most likely be complimented by everybody who saw it. And the best bit is, including purchase price, tax, insurance, fuel and running repairs, it'll still end up costing you less over a year than the repayments on a new Astra. Also the depreciation is nil.

Now I consider that to be real Bangernomics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

You know one of the great things about this thread is, so long as you're not a reg plate snob, for peanuts you can actually swan around in some fantastic cars for next to nothing.

I know some people suggest Bangernomics should only be about the cheapest way of motoring in every regard i.e. a 1 litre car in poverty spec, taxed and tested for a year. I disagree tbh.

Take the Audi I posted. Nobody in the world would blink an eye lid at its reg. Infact you'd most likely be complimented by everybody who saw it. And the best bit is, including purchase price, tax, insurance, fuel and running repairs, it'll still end up costing you less over a year than the repayments on a new Astra. Also the depreciation is nil.

Now I consider that to be real Bangernomics.

The reg plate is the last thing I look at, although it would obviously be a factor in price I would be willing to pay. I always seem to end up in 10 year old, very well maintained cars. I seem to like the cars from around the turn of the century, but my latest, a 406 coupe, has got serious admiration from anyone that has seen it so far and a few people are considering going down this route, a welcome relief from my friends who think they are saving money by paying 18,000 for a newish Hyundai i30 because it has a diesel engine, low tax and good mpg. And they actually think they're nice cars, they're not!! Bangernomics all the way, my take on it is not cheap motoring but luxurious motoring for good value. I also takes a long time for cars to grow on me, for example I still think a good spec e39 sport Bmw 5 series in good nick actually looks better than both the e60 and whatever the current model is called, so bangernomics suits me perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jeez if ya like that car I'll sell ya the exact same car, albeit with slightly higher milage but with leather for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

bmwguy wrote: »
    Bangernomics all the way, my take on it is not cheap motoring but luxurious motoring for good value. I also takes a long time for cars to grow on me, for example I still think a good spec e39 sport Bmw 5 series in good nick actually looks better than both the e60 and whatever the current model is called, so bangernomics suits me perfectly
    You are very right there, and I still can't see anything nice in an E60 BMW, no matter from which angle I look at it. Forget inside, as it just looks monkey all together. I know it is personal, but I don't believe that people who drive the E60 model prefer its general appearance over the E39.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I really want that audi. My missus will kick me out though if we get any more cars.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I really want that audi. My missus will kick me out though if we get any more cars.

Well you're either too late or in big trouble cause its gone now.

Did ya. Did ya ! Go on, tell us you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I spotted one I want too but it's a bit pricier than that one! :p

They'd have to take a trade-in too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement