Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

tempted to go to Kilkenny as its only a half an hour away from Waterford but have tickets to Bruces show in Cork.

The bank acccout cant pay for both

wonder who else will play Nowlan Park

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

It could nearly be two concerts that he's playing now. I'd have been over the moon with just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Managed to get a ticket for Limerick. What do ye think the chances are of getting one more?? I've a post up on backstreets and on toutless but no joy from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

If hes coming to Kilkenny l'm going! one just is'nt enough :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

PTH2009 wrote: »
    tempted to go to Kilkenny as its only a half an hour away from Waterford but have tickets to Bruces show in Cork.

The bank acccout cant pay for both

wonder who else will play Nowlan Park

Dont rule out the Rats....

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2013/0129/boomtownrats.html

Good soundbite...the Rats in the home of the Cats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

gg2 wrote: »
    Managed to get a ticket for Limerick. What do ye think the chances are of getting one more?? I've a post up on backstreets and on toutless but no joy from there.

I reckon closer to concert there will be loads of tickets available, especially in Dublin. Once city folk realise how much effort it takes (financially and other) to travel mid-week for a Springsteen concert some will think twice about going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Talk of Fleetwood Mac being part of this "festival" too. Would be brilliant to have both them and Bruce!

I wonder what they mean by festival though, it's not like it's a big open space where there's room for camping or anything... I dunno how it would work. Be interesting to hear the announcement on Thursday- apparently Hector on 2fm will be broadcasting from Kilkenny that morning and the announcement will be made officially then.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If they got both Fleetwood Mac and Bruce that would be some festival

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

I googled Nowlan Park earlier, there was a festival called the Smithwicks Source festival held there in 2001 & 2002. Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Van Morrison played it. Guessing this festival might be a revival of that.

Slightly before my time - anyone have any memory of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

lc180 wrote: »
    I googled Nowlan Park earlier, there was a festival called the Smithwicks Source festival held there in 2001 & 2002. Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Van Morrison played it. Guessing this festival might be a revival of that.

Slightly before my time - anyone have any memory of it?

It went from 2001 to 2008. Dolly Parton was the final act. She killed it off.

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/festivals/70-kilkenny-source-festival.html

I could hear it out in my back garden when I was younger. Never remember it being anything other than a one day concert though, despite the name.

It's an ambitious undertaking but if all of the acts are good (and not just Bruce) then it'll be a hit.

The Cat Laughs has been held every year for god knows how long. I feel the city can more than withstand the crowds that will be arriving from neighbouring counties for the weekend. There are definitely enough pubs to fill everyone and they are all within walking/stumbling distance of Nowlan Park.

Also if Kilkenny lose the Leinster final again this year and have to go into the quarter finals then the match will be played on Sunday the 28th in Semple. There should be a good atmosphere in the pubs around the city that afternoon and into the night if they won. Then a bit of Bruce to finish it off. I could think of worse days :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Those one-day shows were decent, but there was one year (headlined by James Taylor, but Bryan Ferry actually played last on the night) which was very poorly attended, and was apparently almost pulled with two weeks to go, as sales were so bad. It was no problem walking onto the pitch from the stands, since the pitch was so sparsely populated: I think they were nearly glad to fill the standing area.

This seems to be a different idea though. Rather than a one-day "festival" bill with a headliner and decent support acts, I'd say it'll be just three top-level acts headlining each night, with possibly only one support per night, and obviously no support for Bruce. Three major acts over a single weekend is a very interesting prospect.

Elton John is strongly rumoured to be another act for this, and his current tour dates would allow it. Personally, I think that'd be a bit strange, since he's already doing the Marquee and he doesn't normally play more than one show on any of his visits here. However, based on the level of rumours circulating, I suspect Bruce and Elton will probably be two of the three nights.

My guess, just for the hell of it:
    Elton John, Friday 26th
    Fleetwood Mac, Saturday 27th
    Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Sunday 28th

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

No mention of Bruce from Hector this morning although he more or less confirmed Fleetwood mac. Stange?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BornToRun75

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    No mention of Bruce from Hector this morning although he more or less confirmed Fleetwood mac. Stange?

what did hector say? did he say fleetwood mac? i hope its bruce my hopes are up so hey better not shatter them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

what did hector say? did he say fleetwood mac? i hope its bruce my hopes are up so hey better not shatter them!

Yes he said Fleetwood Mac and played one of their songs - made a big deal about it. He did say gigs though. Maybe Bruce is no longer a big story coz it was done to death with the previous announcements of Cork Lim and Belf.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Just heard on Newstalk about the Bruce rumours for Kilkenny - said Aiken are holding a big press conference tomorrow about it. Four Irish gigs in one summer from the Boss?:D

Those one-day shows were decent, but there was one year (headlined by James Taylor, but Bryan Ferry actually played last on the night) which was very poorly attended, and was apparently almost pulled with two weeks to go, as sales were so bad. It was no problem walking onto the pitch from the stands, since the pitch was so sparsely populated: I think they were nearly glad to fill the standing area.

This seems to be a different idea though. Rather than a one-day "festival" bill with a headliner and decent support acts, I'd say it'll be just three top-level acts headlining each night, with possibly only one support per night, and obviously no support for Bruce. Three major acts over a single weekend is a very interesting prospect.

Elton John is strongly rumoured to be another act for this, and his current tour dates would allow it. Personally, I think that'd be a bit strange, since he's already doing the Marquee and he doesn't normally play more than one show on any of his visits here. However, based on the level of rumours circulating, I suspect Bruce and Elton will probably be two of the three nights.

My guess, just for the hell of it:
    Elton John, Friday 26th
    Fleetwood Mac, Saturday 27th
    Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, Sunday 28th

If its gonna be a day festival i would not rule out a support for Bruce . Every time he played Hard Rock Calling he had support acts

It's on! Kilkenny 27th AND 28th July. Might just even go to both!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Crazy.. looks like I'm going to at least third Bruce gig this summer so.

Does this mean Fleetwood Mac aren't playing in KK that weekend I wonder?

nm wrote: »
    Crazy.. looks like I'm going to at least third Bruce gig this summer so.

Does this mean Fleetwood Mac aren't playing in KK that weekend I wonder?

Yeah reckon that won't be happening which is a shame, but hey, 2 more nights of Bruce, that'll do!

• Advertisement

Hopefully gonna go to the 2nd night and might even do the 2 but will just have to wait and see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

At least hotels in Kilkenny didn't put prices up :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Anyone know the capacity for Kilkenny gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will try for the Saturday gig. Delighted Glen Hansard is at it.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    At least hotels in Kilkenny didn't put prices up :eek:

Yet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Yet :mad:

They have now!!! Crazy increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

so tempeted to go the 2 nights....ah my bank balance :S

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

jtown wrote: »
    They have now!!! Crazy increase

Gulliver.ie is your friend:
    Search here

Booked Kilkenny Inn Hotel for €84 all in for twin room, breakfast included. Can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully i will get tickets to the saturday night. not a bad lineup with Glen Hansard and Damien Dempsey added to the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hopefully i will get tickets to the saturday night. not a bad lineup with Glen Hansard and Damien Dempsey added to the mix.

Sunday night for me, maybe Saturday but as I am hoping to bring the kids finally to a Bruce show the bank balance can only be stretched so far.

I wonder would the take up on Limerick, Cork and Belfast have been as great if they had announced these two gigs at the same time? I also wonder will some touts get burned on the aforementioned 3 gigs.

Clever planning by Aiken & co imo to get maximum sales.

Advertisement