Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elective section, going public

Options
  • 11-01-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

Ok I have myself addled here. I've been searching through the Internet for an answer & it's certainly a mixed bag of answers.
    Basically I want to know can I request a section as a public patient? And how much will it cost?
    I don't have health insurance.

I think I may have asked already, to be honest I can't remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

You can ask, but they don't have to agree. Best thing to do is, research, research, research!

They're going to ask, why do you want the section? Are you aware of the risks of c section over vaginal birth? Make sure you have your answers, be adamant. Bring someone with you who can support you if you falter. If you really want this be prepared to fight and take it all the way to the Master of the hospital if you have to.

If it's public you will not be charged for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

If this is ur first pregnancy, u will not be given a c-section unless it is for medical reasons.. and this will apply even to private patients.. although they may have more of a chance of getting one.. but highly unlikely being public. However if this is a second or subsequent pregnancy and u have had a previous section or a problematic first delivery you do have a good chance of getting an elective section..

If you are worried about being in labour.. just remember it can't be that bad, or women would never have a second, third or fourth baby... yes it can be very painful, but there is alot of options now when it comes to pain relief that wasn't available years ago.. and don't be listening or reading people's horror stories.. every woman has a different pain threshold, what some women think of as hell, other women have no problem with.

Libby029 wrote: »
    If this is ur first pregnancy, u will not be given a c-section unless it is for medical reasons.. and this will apply even to private patients.. although they may have more of a chance of getting one.. but highly unlikely being public. However if this is a second or subsequent pregnancy and u have had a previous section or a problematic first delivery you do have a good chance of getting an elective section..

If you are worried about being in labour.. just remember it can't be that bad, or women would never have a second, third or fourth baby... yes it can be very painful, but there is alot of options now when it comes to pain relief that wasn't available years ago.. and don't be listening or reading people's horror stories.. every woman has a different pain threshold, what some women think of as hell, other women have no problem with.

We've a member here who had an elective c section on her first without a medical reason. She was semi-private, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Libby029 wrote: »

I have my own reasons for looking for a section. I have no problem with pain, if I did I wouldn't have made the decision to have a baby as a section is not pain free either.
    I'm well aware of the pros & cons of section vs natural birth & I know what I want, that is a section.
    It is not unheard of to have one as a public patient on a first pregnancy. I just want to know if anyone here has had one on request & if so how difficult was it to get etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tallyv

my friend has one on her first baby think she went semi private though in the rotunda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Anecdotally I've heard you need to be firm and consistent and use the phrase 'I want a section' not 'I'd prefer to have a section' with every person you meet at every single appointment. I know someone who had to fight very hard, but she got her section in the public system. If you are 100% sure its what you want, don't be given the brush off by bossy midwives or consultants who are indifferent who say things like 'worrying about nothing' or 'think about all your options', say there is no room for other options, this is what you want and as your mind is made up you don't want or need to discuss the other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I think it should be down to the individual what they want and having a section in some ways gives you a bit of control and say over the situation. For me I want so bad to be able do a vaginal birth as I want to get back into shape and my training is tough so a scar healing will add a slight bit more time to when I can train and I'm breast feeding hopefully so be easier if it wasnt a section. But as I say certain ways suit certain people and each to there own I just hope you get the response you want and remember not all doctors are right and know whats best so be persistent and Goodluck with it.

Oh and when are you due??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

in the cumh about 4 years ago we were told as it was my first i would not be considered for a c-section unless it was medically needed, i was public by the way.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We're currently trying for our second and I had the same question. My mother works in the hospital so I got her to suss out one of the midwives on what the likelihood would be. (My first labour was arduous, my baby's oxygen levels and heart rate dropped to next to nothing, and I had to be emergency sectioned after having pushed for a long time with little effect).

So the midwife gave my mum the names of two consultants who she thought would be more amenable to requests like this, and I'm going to my GP to be referred to one or other of them to have a discussion, gynae check etc.

I wonder could you go this route, find out who the consultants to talk to were and book a gynae appointment with them through your GP? It will give you some insight into how the public system works too.

DK, after a first c section you are way more likely to be offered, or it's very much easier to push for a second section. They were all set to give me mine on Saoirse if I wanted it in the Coombe.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    DK, after a first c section you are way more likely to be offered, or it's very much easier to push for a second section. They were all set to give me mine on Saoirse if I wanted it in the Coombe.

I hope so. I'm still traumatised, tbh. It only hit me recently how much danger the little guy was in.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I hope so. I'm still traumatised, tbh. It only hit me recently how much danger the little guy was in.

I had much the same experience as you on my first birth. I never got to the pushing stage though, I'm still traumatised and think I always will be, even though I've had two natural births since. I didn't really want a VBAC on number two, I was all set for the c section again but thought I'd always regret it if I didn't at least try to give birth naturally.

I was induced on number 1 and that was never going to happen on number 2, if I went too far over due or if my waters broke and labour didn't commence I was being c sectioned whether I liked it or not so with that in mind I went for it. I can understand wanting the c section again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

January wrote: »

I had much the same experience as you on my first birth. I never got to the pushing stage though, I'm still traumatised and think I always will be, even though I've had two natural births since. I didn't really want a VBAC on number two, I was all set for the c section again but thought I'd always regret it if I didn't at least try to give birth naturally.

I was induced on number 1 and that was never going to happen on number 2, if I went too far over due or if my waters broke and labour didn't commence I was being c sectioned whether I liked it or not so with that in mind I went for it. I can understand wanting the c section again though!

My first was a section due to breech position - I'm hoping for a vbac this time - but as you say it's easy attempting it when you know they are watching extra closely and will section me after 4 hrs if I dont progress. I think if I was worried about the baby at all during labor it would be very traumatic. I'm all about vbac after my first section as I found the recovery difficult and ill have a 14 month old to run around after also!!

dublinlady wrote: »
    My first was a section due to breech position - I'm hoping for a vbac this time - but as you say it's easy attempting it when you know they are watching extra closely and will section me after 4 hrs if I dont progress. I think if I was worried about the baby at all during labor it would be very traumatic. I'm all about vbac after my first section as I found the recovery difficult and ill have a 14 month old to run around after also!!

Exact same gap as me dublinlady :D I went into labour with mild pains at 1pm and they kept me in to observe me, started getting proper contractions about 2am and she was born at 10.42am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I have my first appointment for my second child on Friday. My first was a C-Section 4 years ago and it was an emergency one. I was terrified when I didn't get to see him for over 12 hours or anything after he was born, so I really want to push for a second section. Not because I am frightened of pain or anything, but I am truly petrified after my first birth experience and I don't want to go through that again.

I am going to ask for a second one, it is at the same hospital so they have my notes and can see everything that happened, I wish my partner was going to be there Friday, he has way more medical knowledge than me so I would prefer to have him there if they want to argue it, though I have 25 weeks before I am due so plenty of time yet.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I have my first appointment for my second child on Friday. My first was a C-Section 4 years ago and it was an emergency one. I was terrified when I didn't get to see him for over 12 hours or anything after he was born, so I really want to push for a second section. Not because I am frightened of pain or anything, but I am truly petrified after my first birth experience and I don't want to go through that again.

I am going to ask for a second one, it is at the same hospital so they have my notes and can see everything that happened, I wish my partner was going to be there Friday, he has way more medical knowledge than me so I would prefer to have him there if they want to argue it, though I have 25 weeks before I am due so plenty of time yet.

Exact same with me Nat. Hope you get your wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 eustie5

I have heard you are more likely to get a c section in rotunta than holles st not sure how true that it though.

I went to my GP today to speak to him about all of this and thought I'd share what I learned.

Now these things are true of UCHG, I can't speak for any other hospitals.

Your chances of getting an elective section are based on your circumstances. They have a system where you need two risk factors for an elective section to be called for. They call the risks 'majors'. I don't know the full list but previous section is a major, high BP is a major, diabetes is a major.

Then two minors are equal to one major. Your wishes count as a minor, a large head (90th centile +) is a minor, OP positioning is a minor.

Now, I was told that because all births by intervention are peer audited, that consultants are quite strict with these rules. Also if there was a mess up and upon investigation your case didn't satisfy the criteria for an elective section, there would be serious consequences.

All that said, my GP thought that considering my history and the letter he was going to write for me (outlining my wishes, constituting a minor), that I would almost certainly satisfy the criteria for an elective section.

I'm still going to get an appointment with one of the consultants though and speak with her and talk through my chart from last time.

Have to say, I love my GP.

Oh and OP... he said public or private, they operate under the same set of rules, so don't worry about that aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

eustie5 wrote: »
    I have heard you are more likely to get a c section in rotunta than holles st not sure how true that it though.

Going by the statistics, that may be right. I believe Holles St has a very pro-natural birth policy. You can see the stats for all the hospitals on Bump2Babe.ie also you can choose on the drop down list to see the percentage of instrumental birth, episiotomy, induction etc. Not sure how up to date it is but should give some idea of the policies of the various hospitals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I went private with my children and asked for a section and was told no, not unless medically needed. I had them naturally although with my first I wished I was allowed the section!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I spoke to my midwife since I started this thread & she seems to think I'm in with a very good chance of getting one. Also the consultant I am attending is willing to consider it but wants me to be 100% sure. Basically he is agreeing & has it down on my notes that I have requested & my reasons for requesting it.
    I won't go into detail as to why I want one but trust me when I say this isn't something I've thought of lightly. I explored all options before we even started trying for a baby because I wanted to be fully informed. I have continued to weigh up the pros & cons of what I want & why I want it, each time I go back to a section as the birth I want for my baby & for me.
    I still have a few months to go & I'm already waking up at night with nightmares over a natural birth & all it has to offer. I have woken myself up crying due to the nature of my nightmares.
    I'm sick & tired of people telling me all the pain will be forgotten about & to just get on with it because its a natural process.
    When the time comes to have the baby ill be telling people the baby's breech or there was some medical reason to have a section because there's far too many women out there waiting to say "too posh to push". Everyone is entitled to their opinion but its the nastiness behind some of the comments that bothers me. That because I'm looking for a section I'm somehow a lesser person or a lazy so & so. My only concern is getting my baby out as safe & as healthy as possible. And in my opinion a section is the way I want. It doesn't make me better or worse than any other expectant mother & I would never judge an expectant mother for going down the natural route. It's entirely their decision.
    So why do I get judged & almost sneered at, mostly by other women, for requesting a section?

So why do I get judged & almost sneered at, mostly by other women, for requesting a section?

I've heard this from men too. People will always have their bit to say no matter what you do. Don't let it bother you what other people think. All that matters is what you think. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I hear you Girl in Striped Socks. I just don't know why people actually CARE what kind of birth someone else might want - let alone want to judge you for it. It's not as if being able to choose whether or not you have a section means that everyone else is forced to get one too... But then again, it seems (particularly in Ireland) when it comes to women's reproductive health everyone has an opinion :rolleyes:

I've heard this from men too. People will always have their bit to say no matter what you do. Don't let it bother you what other people think. All that matters is what you think. <3

Your right they do gotta have there say. My cousins woman had two sections and with the first one that she had after 3 days of them tryin to get her to go into labour they said it had to be section and the nurse present was been a bitch and said 'I believe every woman should be able do it right and push' to be honest I would have decked her there and then!

Your right they do gotta have there say. My cousins woman had two sections and with the first one that she had after 3 days of them tryin to get her to go into labour they said it had to be section and the nurse present was been a bitch and said 'I believe every woman should be able do it right and push' to be honest I would have decked her there and then!

Do it right!

I had some creepy fella start talking to me while I was waiting to leave the hospital with my little guy and he started the "In my day there was no hospital, the women had the babies in the bed and got up to make dinner."

Jaysus I was livid. Without an intervention the little newborn in the carseat beside me would have died, and possibly me along with him. I told yer man that and asked him if he had any brothers or sisters who died being born. He shut up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Well said. I had emergency c last time, not what I wanted at all and was quite traumatised by it all like some of the other posters said. It may be the case that I'll have one this time too but it really is no ones's business and at least I'll know the drill this time if so! People are so nosy and presumptuous. The main thing is a live and healthy baby and Mam as an outcome and after that a happy mam = happy baby irrespective of how it got here. Those years of rearing a child afterwards are much more important than those hours of labour (and recovery from a section is labour too, believe me!) :D

Do it right!

I had some creepy fella start talking to me while I was waiting to leave the hospital with my little guy and he started the "In my day there was no hospital, the women had the babies in the bed and got up to make dinner."

Jaysus I was livid. Without an intervention the little newborn in the carseat beside me would have died, and possibly me along with him. I told yer man that and asked him if he had any brothers or sisters who died being born. He shut up then.

My granny had all her's at home and had to get on with things a few days later but mainly family helped out. She was lucky she never had any problems but even she said hospitals are a better idea! She's old fashioned but from time to time she comes out with things unexpectedly. Today we were talkin bout birth control she's random

When they need to intervene then so be it I'll do a section should I have to simple as and let one person be smart bout it I'll flip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Without intervention, my son would either be severely disabled or dead, and God only knows what state I would be in. My nan gave birth to 14 live children at home, two sets of twins were in that. She would go insane if any one of my aunts or us granddaughters tried to have a home birth, she freaks out about us getting in trouble and losing our children. When I told her my son was C-Section she lit a candle that he was here safely and we were planning a Christening and not a funeral. That is the attitude to have.

I have no idea why it is anyone else's concern how a child is born as long as it is healthy. I had a woman brag to me that she went natural and I didn't. I took hypothetical chunks out of her. Who the hell do these people think they are. I am not telling anyone that I am requesting another one except the immediate family. My partner's mother thinks it is a better decision to do it this way too, and she is usually contrary about these sorts of things.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I have to say, nobody has said anything about me having my emergency c-section - well to my face anyway. If they did, they would be sorry, let me tell you!

The smugness of some that went natural - fair play if you did, its a personal choice, but if someone wants pain relief then they should not be judged for it. Likewise, if a woman has valid fears that she feels a section would be safer for her and her baby, she should be supported.

Whatever way the baby comes out does not make you any better a mother than the next woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

People see the most ridiculous things as competition. You will have people comparing the height of 2 year olds as well, bring mightely proud when theirs is taller. Like it's an achievement.

Advertisement