Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Enough is Enough' - Lance Armstrong

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    So Walsh's book will be out before Christmas.
    Seems a bit of a rush job, I hope not.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/out-soon-seven-deadly-sins-my-pursuit-of-lance-armstrong-by-david-walsh/

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

No
    A little over a month after the UCI announced plans to allow an independent commission to investigate the findings of the USADA report into Lance Armstrong and the US Postal Service team plus the its own role in governing the sport during and after the period in question, the UCI has announced details of that commission.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13403/ArmstrongUSPS-Investigation-UCI-names-Independent-Commission-members-and-lists-terms-of-reference.aspx#ixzz2DhuXTOP3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

No
    I have often wondered about these types of commisions. For example, will the Commisioners be appointing at team of minions to do all the investigative leg work or will Tanni Grey-Thompson be hoofing it over to the UCI HQ herself to rifle through Pat's inbox and filing cabinet then typing up a word doc for Malcolm Holmes to add his bits in later using tracked changes?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    I am happy with the composition of the Commission, and its remit. Basically they are being allowed complete access to the relevant records, which is clearly critical. I would trust the individuals involved to ensure a comprehensive review is undertaken.

I remain of the view that the current leadership of the UCI must change, regardless of the output from this Commission. The state the sport has allowed itself to get into, with McQuaid and Verbruggen at its helm, is sufficient testimony to warrant a complete shakeup of the UCI's hierarchy. Basically I do not believe the current leadership are the correct people to oversee the kind of change that will be required (some of which will, I am pretty sure, be at the recommendation of the Commission). The sport has no confidence in the current leadership, and that's where the most important change is required. A new leadership is required to push through change

Now it's clear to me that McQuaid and Verbruggen are going to hold out, in the hope that there is not enough in the report to warrant their resignations, but my view is that McQuaid should not be putting his name forward for re-election. I would prefer it if he would announce now that he is not standing, clearing the way for an open leadership contest next September which would allow a new regime to be in place to implement any recommendations made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

No
    I'm sure there has been but can anyone recommend any Lance Armstrong documentary relating to all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

No
    Andy Magic wrote: »
    I'm sure there has been but can anyone recommend any Lance Armstrong documentary relating to all this?

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/10/11/3608613.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

No
    MPFG wrote: »

If he does, surely that'll open a can of worms in that he will be admitting he lied under oath. I can't see him ever telling the truth tbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No
    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/david-walsh-scoops-journalist-year-win-british-journalism-awards
    Sunday Times chief sports writer David Walsh claimed a double win at the first British Journalism Awards (BJA) tonight, picking up both the Sports Journalist of the Year and Journalist of the Year prizes.

Judges praised Walsh for his 13-year investigation into Lance Armstrong, which exposed the cyclist as a drugs cheat and led to him being stripped of his seven Tour De France victories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

No
    If ever there was a reason to not give them a top tier licence...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-claims-cyclings-doping-problems-are-exaggerated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

No
    Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    If ever there was a reason to not give them a top tier licence...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-claims-cyclings-doping-problems-are-exaggerated

The more I see, read and think about it, the more I think Nico has made a dreadful mistake signing for this team.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

No

While obviously I'm delighted for Walsh, I think it's a bit twisted to give it to him this year. Did he write anything particularly compelling this year? No, USADA wrote the report of the year.

Does anyone know if he won any prizes before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

No
    According to amazon, Walsh's book is out this Thursday.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

No
    Looks like the Floyd whistlebower case is going to get a hearing. Mr. Juan Pelota finally getting to do some face time with the Feds?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323339704578171551137193218.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

No
    Not a great day for cycling, IMO.

Firstly, WADA issue a statement about the UCIs Independent COmmission saying that "they have significant concerns about the commission’s terms of reference and has alerted the lawyers representing the commission of its concerns" .

Then Pat McQuaid - just as you being to think that there might be a chance of an accord between the UCI and its detractors - comes out with all guns blasting.
    “(ChangeCycling Now's) leader, Jaime Fuller is seeking to further his own business interests," "Then there is a journalist (David Walsh) who wants to promote a book coming out shortly and a haematologist who claims to have a method of detecting blood transfusions for the next Tour de France. Why are they not working with the UCI or the World Anti-Doping Agency?”

“They have discussed nothing with us; they only spoke of their own interests for two days in London,” “They are not part of cycling, they have no mandate, no status, but they do have a conflict of interest."

“Greg was a great cyclist .....but I would ask him: 'What have you done for cycling in the past 25 years?’ The answer is nothing,” McQuaid said.
    “I find it a little bit arrogant for him to say he is prepared to serve as interim president of the UCI. The UCI is a democracy, there is an electoral system in place. If he wants to, he can always seek the support of his national federation and stand for election next September.”

"most of the people who were calling for my resignation had nothing to do with cycling, and I think they were wrong to do so.

“People involved in cycling who I work with every day know what I have achieved as president.”

McQuaid pointed to the UCI's current initiative to independently investigate its anti-doping efforts to counteract the criticisms.
    “If they say our attitude was inadequate, we’ll take the necessary measures to ensure that this sort of thing won’t happen again in the future with a big name rider,”
    “In the USADA report on Armstrong, there were many accusations that we reject. The UCI is serene and convinced that the independent commission will show that these allegations are not justified as the UCI has always been a pioneer in the fight against doping.

“I think there is enough proof that the state of cycling is completely different today to what it was in the Armstrong era.”

Serene........eh, I dont sense that. Rather ironic that he calls others arrogant.............BTW, Walsh is on a live webcast in about an hour at 7:45.......here http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/david_walsh/article1171764.ece

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No
    Oh Pat....

He really needs to have someone whispering in his ear saying "are you sure you want to say this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

The 57 people who voted 'no' in the poll really need to wake up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No
    Dietsquirt wrote: »
    The 57 people who voted 'no' in the poll really need to wake up.

Their Lance on duplicate accounts :-)

And tbh Lance should at this stage do the decent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

No
    Borderfox wrote: »
    Their Lance on duplicate accounts :-)

And tbh Lance should at this stage do the decent thing.

I wouldn't look too far. Try your CI board who think he is doing an outstanding job :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

No
    Oh Pat....

He really needs to have someone whispering in his ear saying "are you sure you want to say this".

And then punch him in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

No
    I just think that this whole Lance, McQuaid, Verbruggen et al episode has reached the point where cycling will be unable to move forward and evolve into something better if they remain, at this stage it doesnt matter if they are innocent/guilty/complicit, the sport has fallen to its knees. I actually hope that the IOC follow through with the threat to drop it from the olympics, maybe I'm delusional, but could that be the wake up call thats needed??? FFS, its so frustrating to see the sport ripped apart by cheating and for the governing body to claim ignorance and use hostility towards whistle blowers as part of their defense.
    Fcuk it, I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No
    TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Not a great day for cycling, IMO.

Firstly, WADA issue a statement about the UCIs Independent COmmission saying that "they have significant concerns about the commission’s terms of reference and has alerted the lawyers representing the commission of its concerns" .

Then Pat McQuaid - just as you being to think that there might be a chance of an accord between the UCI and its detractors - comes out with all guns blasting.
    “(ChangeCycling Now's) leader, Jaime Fuller is seeking to further his own business interests," "Then there is a journalist (David Walsh) who wants to promote a book coming out shortly and a haematologist who claims to have a method of detecting blood transfusions for the next Tour de France. Why are they not working with the UCI or the World Anti-Doping Agency?”

“They have discussed nothing with us; they only spoke of their own interests for two days in London,” “They are not part of cycling, they have no mandate, no status, but they do have a conflict of interest."

“Greg was a great cyclist .....but I would ask him: 'What have you done for cycling in the past 25 years?’ The answer is nothing,” McQuaid said.
    “I find it a little bit arrogant for him to say he is prepared to serve as interim president of the UCI. The UCI is a democracy, there is an electoral system in place. If he wants to, he can always seek the support of his national federation and stand for election next September.”

"most of the people who were calling for my resignation had nothing to do with cycling, and I think they were wrong to do so.

“People involved in cycling who I work with every day know what I have achieved as president.”

McQuaid pointed to the UCI's current initiative to independently investigate its anti-doping efforts to counteract the criticisms.
    “If they say our attitude was inadequate, we’ll take the necessary measures to ensure that this sort of thing won’t happen again in the future with a big name rider,”
    “In the USADA report on Armstrong, there were many accusations that we reject. The UCI is serene and convinced that the independent commission will show that these allegations are not justified as the UCI has always been a pioneer in the fight against doping.

“I think there is enough proof that the state of cycling is completely different today to what it was in the Armstrong era.”

Serene........eh, I dont sense that. Rather ironic that he calls others arrogant.............BTW, Walsh is on a live webcast in about an hour at 7:45.......here http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/public/david_walsh/article1171764.ece

Poor pat. Everyone is just out to make money. There's absolutely no monetary reason for him to keep his job as UCI president, he's just doing it for the good of cycling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    What did Greg do for cycling in the last 25 years? What he didn't do was stand idly by while riders increasingly became rattling pill boxes, he didn't stand idly by while some riders died from the results of that, he didn't stand by and ignore that to watch the money flow in on the back of well dodgy near superhuman results and he didn't stand idly by and deny all that would have been bloody obvious to Stevie wonder until it was too bloody late.

Greg was a great cyclist, a great champion and a clean one with it. A man who has pointed the finger (and suffered for it) at those who would seek to destroy the sport he loves and suffered for.

“I think there is enough proof that the state of cycling is completely different today to what it was in the Armstrong era.” yea and you seemed to miss all that and it wasnt just oul Lance, not by a long shot. GTFO Ted.

Yea hardly an eeny meeny miney mo choice between those two.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

G2ECE wrote: »
    I just think that this whole Lance, McQuaid, Verbruggen et al episode has reached the point where cycling will be unable to move forward and evolve into something better if they remain, at this stage it doesnt matter if they are innocent/guilty/complicit, the sport has fallen to its knees. I actually hope that the IOC follow through with the threat to drop it from the olympics, maybe I'm delusional, but could that be the wake up call thats needed??? FFS, its so frustrating to see the sport ripped apart by cheating and for the governing body to claim ignorance and use hostility towards whistle blowers as part of their defense.
    Fcuk it, I give up!
    TDF is what every road cyclist cares about tho, and the classics, Olympics isnt really a big deal. Track cycling Olympics is what every track cyclists wants to compete in/win. it would be a disaster for track cycling

Im suprised theres not as much drug use in Track, maybe its just kept quite. Gregory Bauge is the only name that comes to mind but he just missed tests, didnt fail any.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

No
    Im suprised theres not as much drug use in Track, maybe its just kept quite. Gregory Bauge is the only name that comes to mind but he just missed tests, didnt fail any.
    There's no money in track cycling;) Team Sponsors have only come into this form of the sport fairly recently, and when doping was clearly rife in the peloton (presumably partly on the back of sponsors demanding results) there was very little to be gained by cheating on the track.

Having said that, who knows what the Eastern Bloc may have been up to in the bad old days.

Beasty wrote: »
    There's no money in track cycling;) Team Sponsors have only come into this form of the sport fairly recently, and when doping was clearly rife in the peloton (presumably partly on the back of sponsors demanding results) there was very little to be gained by cheating on the track.

Having said that, who knows what the Eastern Bloc may have been up to in the bad old days.
    that would make sense but isnt there a problem with Doping in sportives* in both north America and Europe? they dope for the glory I suppose

*(the kind that are almost a race, with small prizes)

No
    that would make sense but isnt there a problem with Doping in sportives* in both north America and Europe? they dope for the glory I suppose

*(the kind that are almost a race, with small prizes)

If you read the research (I do as part of my work) it's really quite frightening why people dope. Money or financial reward is quite a low priority and the highest level of doping in any sport is in amatuer weightlifting/bodybuilding!
    Males with high ego's and critical coaches are the most likely as are those who have contact with and exposure to drugs.
    The key seems to be to protect them from contact with doping from an early age and to get quality coaching with realistic and achievable goals.

RobFowl wrote: »
    If you read the research (I do as part of my work) it's really quite frightening why people dope. Money or financial reward is quite a low priority and the highest level of doping in any sport is in amatuer weightlifting/bodybuilding!
    Males with high ego's and critical coaches are the most likely as are those who have contact with and exposure to drugs.
    The key seems to be to protect them from contact with doping from an early age and to get quality coaching with realistic and achievable goals.
    pro bodybuilding is the worst, everyone dopes, they dont test the winners. a few years back at a comp a tester turned up and every single competitor left the venue in protest. its supposedly the people with no chance of winning that are tested and suspended if caught, just to make it look like the 'sport' is making an effort to keep clean.

• Advertisement

I was gonna compete in powerlifting a few years ago. there's a separate drug-free organisation worlwide and in Ireland which I would have joined. same as bodybuilding, theres Naturals(drug free), I heard from a Polish guy recently that some guys in Ireland are 'cheating' in that too!

Advertisement