Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Less 'thoughts and prayers' and more dealing with the actual problem. :mad:

That whole 'my prayers are with you' crap drives me spare - maybe it's me but I always hear a '...but shure what can you do...*helpless shake of the head*' - make damn sure bullies are f*cking punished would be a good start!

It's like when people discuss gay couples adopting - can't have that as the child will be bullied - sweetest f*ck how is that an acceptable reason by any stretch of the imagination????

:mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm kinda with the "there's a time and a place" comments, though I can't your original post, Liam.

Dades wrote: »
    I'm kinda with the "there's a time and a place" comments, though I can't your original post, Liam.

Seems to have been deleted. Censorship at it best. Nothing I said was offensive.

Just to further clarify my deleted comment-

I agree that there is a time and a place. I took offence to the original comment "...god love them all."; as if god has some plan or something. He wanted them to die as part of this plan. So, I feel that this wasn't a time and place for him to talk about their god. Obviously, it's ok for him to do it and not ok for me to take exception to it.

I've no problem with people saying they'll pray for them. I felt he went too far down the road and if it was my children, I would have taken offence to the remark (even though he probably saw it as being harmless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I actually have a cough and would murder a fisherman's friend.
    My friend is a fisherman.

#GoesIntoHidingFromDades

• Advertisement

You're all safe... I got my fix. :pac:

photo_Small_3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You're all safe... I got my fix. :pac:

http://omg.wthax.org/photo_Small_3.jpg

Dades uses Chrome!!!! Dades is now awesome. :D

Jernal wrote: »

Doesn't everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I use Firefox on my uni's PCs. :o

Jernal wrote: »

I'm more concerned about that low resolution screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Answer that damn PM, Dades!

Sarky wrote: »
    Answer that damn PM, Dades!

It might be just be new post in a thread he's subscribed to. :p
    Also, his perfectly manicured thumb has blown away my stereotypical impression of mods. Mind absolutely blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

More importantly, how can you be a mod and not have moved to 40 posts a page?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Liamario wrote: »
    I've no problem with people saying they'll pray for them. I felt he went too far down the road and if it was my children, I would have taken offence to the remark (even though he probably saw it as being harmless).

Just a figure of Irish speech tbh, 'ah god love them', 'god bless' etc.
    It's no coincidence that Hiberno-English uses phrases like this when 'Dia duit' is hello in Irish...
    Yeah it rankles with me but I'm not going to give out to people I know (and know how they'll take it) over that, never mind strangers. I think you're reading way more into their comment than they intended tbh.

Scrap the cap!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone?

People who value their online privacy certainly shouldn't use Chrome.

I use Opera and lock it down as far as possible :p

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »

If anyone wants to view my reams of historical minutia (hmmmm - who was the sheriff of Mayo in 1586? Let's look that up!*) , and orders for kindle books they are welcome but they would be better off getting a life. ;)

* George Bingham ancestor of 'Lucky' Lucan :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

On the one hand, "God love them" is kind of just a saying, the poster may not have put that much religious thought on it.
    On the other hand though, its the comment section on a newspaper website, populated by people who probably don't personally know the family in question, so I don't see how it wouldn't be an appropriate time or place to bring it up. Its not like he said it to the family while they are mourning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

ShooterSF wrote: »
    More importantly, how can you be a mod and not have moved to 40 posts a page?!

…how can you tell that from that screenshot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

…how can you tell that from that screenshot?

It says on the bottom of the page displayed that there are 221 pages in total for this thread (at the time it was print screened). It would be 83 if 40 posts per page was the setting used.

It says on the bottom of the page displayed that there are 221 pages in total for this thread (at the time it was print screened). It would be 83 if 40 posts per page was the setting used.

I love this forum.

That is all.

• Advertisement

Maybe we should start a 'Pics of A&A posters holding random objects in front of their screen while browsing A&A' thread :)

... thought the 40 post thing was obvious, but maybe that was just me :pac:

Scrap the cap!

Maybe we should start a 'Pics of A&A posters holding random objects in front of their screen while browsing A&A' thread :)

An A&A original meme? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Oh right, I misread the post - for some reason I thought it said "moved to 40 posts a day". I think I must be tired…

Well there I was on yet another typical boring godless night, with no point to my amoral existence, rabidly slavering on how to oppress theists as I normally do, with the oul' 'militant secularism' they're just defenceless to!. And then someone, some kind soul er, I mean, fellow revolutionary comrade, re-educated me and provided me with the answer.

We must post as many pictures of our godlessness on t'internet as possible! So here we go. They cannot resist the power of what our non-lord and master Dades has begun!

Behold the power of my recently acquired in the 2 euro shop, SDHC reader! It was a godsend lucky find :)

232688.JPG

Scrap the cap!

Well there I was on yet another typical boring godless night, with no point to my amoral existence, rabidly slavering on how to oppress theists as I normally do, with the oul' 'militant secularism' they're just defenceless to!. And then someone, some kind soul er, I mean, fellow revolutionary comrade, re-educated me and provided me with the answer.

We must post as many pictures of our godlessness on t'internet as possible! So here we go. They cannot resist the power of what our non-lord and master Dades has begun!

Behold the power of my recently acquired in the 2 euro shop, SDHC reader! It was a godsend lucky find :)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/36890/232688.JPG

Either I'm now a Ninja (:cool:) or s/he's amputated someone's hand.:eek:

Fear not Jernal, the 'Ninja' refers to a Kawasaki Heavy Industries product. Could be anything from a paperclip to a nuclear reactor though :D

Scrap the cap!

If anyone wants to view my reams of historical minutia (hmmmm - who was the sheriff of Mayo in 1586? Let's look that up!*) , and orders for kindle books they are welcome but they would be better off getting a life. ;)

Ah c'mon Banna, it doesn't take a vivid imagination to conjure up a situation where one would rather one's search terms/browser history/etc. would rather remain private!

Such as buying a present :)

Scrap the cap!

I give you ZEE KAPTEIN'S MUG

Um, kinda big. cba resizing, I'm pretty drunk right now from a work shindig where I won two bottles of wine in a raffle...

Oooh, dark theme - you're one of those.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

You mean the higher class of Boards users? Why yes I am!

Ah c'mon Banna, it doesn't take a vivid imagination to conjure up a situation where one would rather one's search terms/browser history/etc. would rather remain private!

Such as buying a present :)

This is true. I myself am in serious present buying avoidance mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

You mean the higher class of Boards users? Why yes I am!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8kIuSigLPTE9NsyQFGMCWmYg0cNwmw7PITb_tTzmZAxqXDV9BuKR-WKyJBA

super-computer-nerd.jpeg

Great idea! Check out my new mouse.

mouse1.jpg
    The dodgy tabs are on purpose!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seems to have been deleted. Censorship at it best. Nothing I said was offensive.
    no, you just decided to pick on your point in a series of comments commiserating on a story about a second teenage suicide. the best place to raise this issue is somewhere you're *not* poking at other people's well wishes.

I think my cock may be Gay.

Aw feck- I have forgotten how to do this so pic shows in post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

You cheat at scrabble you cheater!!!!!
    Link to scrabble word finder indeed!

And here I was closing down my extra tabs because I thought giant robots and zombies would label me as some sort of freak...

postitnote wrote: »
    You cheat at scrabble you cheater!!!!!
    Link to scrabble word finder indeed!

Yet I still lose :(.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

232738.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

sephir0th wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8kIuSigLPTE9NsyQFGMCWmYg0cNwmw7PITb_tTzmZAxqXDV9BuKR-WKyJBA

super-computer-nerd.jpeg

leet++ ??? (I really must find some new jokes. )

I was at the market and some bloke tried to sell me 8 legs of venison for €100. I said no, that's too dear.

Ba-dum-tish.

• Advertisement

No, it's Leet+.

Where leet people can come together to mock everyone else who thinks they're leet, but are not because they disagree on some points with well-reasoned arguments so of course they're trolling and probably rapists.

robindch wrote: »
    232738.jpg

To Infinity and Beyond!
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/431221/232739.JPG

How do I make it show in post :(?

To Infinity and Beyond!

How do I make it show in post :(?

Click the attachment on your post and then copy the url of the attachment and put it in these tags [IMG][/IMG]

The image is a little big though.

Click the attachment on your post and then copy the url of the attachment and put it in these tags [IMG][/IMG]

The image is a little big though.

See what you mean - sooo...how do I make image smaller? :o:o:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How do I make it show in post?
    When you've attached a file to the post as you're doing already, you need to right-click on the link, select "Copy link address" (or the equivalent in the browser you're using), then either click on the picture icon and paste in the link and press <Enter>, or just paste the link directly into the message between a pair of and tags. You should probably also resize the image as your Fuji camera is producing ginormous images - if you don't want to bother doing this using MSPaint which comes with Windows, then try something like the Web Resizer here.

232740.JPG

^^
    Thank you Robin.

Well - I managed to kill that joke stone dead. :rolleyes:

The idea of signing into a browser on multiple devices and my browsing history being conveniently stored in the cloud really unnerves me.

Just out of interest, is anyone else still using the old boards layout? I hate that 16:9 seems to be the default for computer screens these days and the hanging headers that are all the rage now make browsing feel like looking through a letterbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Great idea! Check out my new mouse.

mouse1.jpg
    The dodgy tabs are on purpose!

Sexy Christains
    How to make your own hijab

Edit: Foiled by white text.

Edit: Foiled by white text.
    Heh. I had to include that in case nobody believed they were on purpose. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, it's Leet+.

Where leet people can come together to mock everyone else who thinks they're leet, but are not because they disagree on some points with well-reasoned arguments so of course they're trolling and probably rapists.
    Leet++

And you call yourself a scientist...

• Advertisement
Advertisement