Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

robindch wrote: »
    A lot of these shots look, at best, charitable edits and complete setups at worst. But I'd certainly concede the faintest possibility:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593

I don't want to imagine the chaos that will happen if a ball bounces across the path of the doggie driver :eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    A lot of these shots look, at best, charitable edits and complete setups at worst. But I'd certainly concede the faintest possibility:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20614593

Were there any Rovers?

Could bring a new meaning to going out in the car for a bit of dogging.

Life ain't always empty.

Saw this in the Astronomy forum and thought it might strike a chord here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82092160&postcount=2
    The night sky is our window on the universe, revealing profound truths about realities beyond the mundane. It is inherently beautiful. I wish more people could value that.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Speaking as someone who has had sex, are we supposed to know the bad-guy?
    No. There are theories, but it hasn't been confirmed.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2012/1208/1224327573931.html
    Further confirmation that atheism is hip comes in the form of a snazzy new line of footwear promising “a dollop of godless love, in a shoe”. The brainchild of Dubliner David Bonney, Atheist Shoes aim “to increase visibility of non-believers in a subtle, tasteful way”, with messages like “Ich Bin Atheist” and “Darwin Loves” embossed on the souls.[sic]:rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Got a postcard in the door the other day from DPD and have some online orders coming, so went up to the depot this morning. While waiting, saw this...

231872.jpg

'Cornichons au vinagre fin'

Tin was about 30cm high. That's a lotta gherkins. Christ!

Oh yeah. It turned out they'd put the postcard in the wrong door, so they didn't have a parcel for me after all :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

legspin wrote: »
    Watching the growth in discoveries was slightly hypnotic.
    Try this. Watching this progress is also hypnotic. But not in a good way.

Qualifies as 'Interesting stuff'. But only if you're interested in just how dumb we can be as a species...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That is really depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

As a believer that the M.A.D. doctrine is what prevented any further major wars in the 20th century and will continue to do so going forward, and as someone who doesn't piss themselves whenever they hear the word radiation, (ie. Believes the WHO and UN when they say only 60 deaths directly attributable to Chernobyl), well, I don't find that too depressing

Well depressing, in that human nature made it necessary for something like M.A.D. and depressing that they kept on developing, testing and spending more and more money over and above the point where they could wipe out the other side once over. But depressed that nuclear weapons exist and were tested?? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

41mS1Jfk8PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Have a read of this and it gets a bit less depressing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

sephir0th wrote: »
    41mS1Jfk8PL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Have a read of this and it gets a bit less depressing...

Would his TED talk on this subject be the video equivelent of 'cliff notes' for that book?

Calibos wrote: »
    Would his TED talk on this subject be the video equivelent of 'cliff notes' for that book?

I'm only about half way through the 36hour audiobook, so I'd say that video is a very sharp summarization of the main conclusions :)

Really great book though, as a bonus you get to learn a lot about the civilization process. One of the more interesting conclusions is - if our ancestors were happy to burn cats alive and torture other humans, how come we have such a problem with it - and what sparked that degree of empathy and compassion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/education-minister-concerned-by-time-spent-on-teaching-religion-and-irish-577436.html

Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn has said that he would like to see more time devoted to science and maths in Irish schools, rather than Irish and religion.

"The official time allocation for religion and Irish is high relative to other subjects," he said.

--

And now we wait until he's called anti-Catholic...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

This came up last year I think here.

The findings, I think of the Department of Education, were that religion is usually amongst the top two or three subjects, and where it's allocated more time, the principal suffering subject is maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I recall reading about it alright, but I was wondering about the extent to which it's true. I'm a little skeptical - largely because I've been in a few classrooms (not a teacher myself) of Catholic primary schools where teachers had timetables on the wall. R.E. didn't appear to take up that much time, but then it was infant classes I was in most recently and I'd guess they aren't quite 'preparing' the kids as full on compared to older classes. End of day tidy up and afternoon prayer were generally the same slot...and timetables aren't written in stone. I'd have to review a few to see what they're like and the extent to which they're followed, such as a full 30 minutes on R.E.

It would be fine and dandy if religion was timetabled and confined to that slot - then parents could have the choice of opting out as was always the intention when National Schools were set up in the 19th century. ET do it similarly.

In your 'normal' school, religion is integrated throughout the curriculum at primary level. So your religious story could be 'English' (or maybe even 'History'. :rolleyes:) Learning about the planets could mention how 'God made them' etc.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

ninja900 wrote: »
    It would be fine and dandy if religion was timetabled and confined to that slot - then parents could have the choice of opting out as was always the intention when National Schools were set up in the 19th century. ET do it similarly.

In your 'normal' school, religion is integrated throughout the curriculum at primary level. So your religious story could be 'English' (or maybe even 'History'. :rolleyes:) Learning about the planets could mention how 'God made them' etc.

You should hear my 6 year old grand-daughter go off on one about how it's always 'Holy God' and 'HolyMaryMotherofGod' in every class.
    She may be exaggerating but she is mightily fed up of hearing about 'Holy God' and not shy about expressing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

I'd love to know the number of atheists in Ireland. Wonder how long before half the Irish population move firmly away from the Catholic Church

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd love to know the number of atheists in Ireland. Wonder how long before half the Irish population move firmly away from the Catholic Church
    Probably when First Communion/Confirmation isn't treated as a chance for partying.

Probably when First Communion/Confirmation isn't treated as a chance for partying.

Don't forget about the beautiful church wedding!

• Advertisement

sephir0th wrote: »
    Don't forget about the beautiful church wedding!

That would be never so. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

UK census data reveals a continuing decline in religion;
    Across England and Wales respondents with no religion have gone up 10 points to 25% on average compared with the 2001 census.
    Das Guardian picture shows some aggressive canine atheists.

Meanwhile in Norn Iron, the ratio of catolicks to prods narrows to 45%:48% and those stating "no religion" doubles from 3% to 6%.
    Interesting times ahead for the flag-wavers, no doubt.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ *cough*

Dades wrote: »
    *cough*

5181y1EDK-L._SY450_.jpg

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I actually have a cough and would murder a fisherman's friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Didn't see that thread :o
    Now I'm pissed off that everyone pre-emptively stole my "norn iron" joke :mad:

You're supposed to suck on them. (cue Julian Clary joke)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Would any friend do or do you have a specific one in mind?

*snigger*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

http://kck.st/10KSqtl
    Someone should enjoy this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Sorry if this has already been posted, but here is a very brief and simplified explanation to evolution if you ever need to use illustrations when trying to explain your view (if you share it and / or are inclined to discuss it) of where man comes from:

ubZNn.jpg?1

Advertisement