Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thumby wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your head is still at ya murdy. Probably is dehydration at this stage. I'd say ya got some right funny looks on the bus alright. Hope it clears up soon for ya.

Me too :) Am feeling alot better than yesterday anyway. Going to attempt to eat soon. Apparently if your mornign sickness goes away and comes back it can be due to not eating enough so your stomach is empty or not resting enough. So think I'll be taking it easy this weekend.

Hope you get your mars bars, if I could bring them to you I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

I could murder a chicken roll right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Lmao digs i just posted the will kill for mars bars on book of faces.
    Aww thanks murdy. Oh one thing i found help a bit was mint. I couldn't drink the tea but i'd suck on a mint/have a chewing gum before having something plain and light to eat.

Had one of them for my brekkie rach :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Oh man yeah. Chicken roll, bottle of lucozade and a mars bar. Sounds like the makings of a great lunch.

Need to find some willing colleague to go get it for me now. Perks of being one of two girls in an office full of men :D

• Advertisement

Oh nom. Don't suppose any of those men fancy a drive down to newbridge?
    Proper original lucozade though...

Yeah, polo mints are working pretty well at the moment. Which is weird, because mint toothpaste makes me vom everywhere :D The human body is a strange thing.

Digs - start laying the guilt trip on the men, you'll get your lunch in no time!!

It's the sugar in the mints that helps!! I think original lucozade is gross, sorry! You gotta grow up with it I think...now a chicken roll, mars bar and a Dr. Pepper wouldnt go a miss....Mmm

Trust me rach original lucozade is nothing compared to when i was craving col cannon with sugar! Now that was truely disgusting...
    Murdy i was the same with toothpaste and mouthwash. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Rach I am too afraid of Dr pepper, does it taste of pepper haha?

Murdy & Thumby I am on it. They will do anything for a quiet life and keep the pregnant one happy. Thumby expect your mars bar shortly :D

Jesus colcannon with sugar??? Vom!!

• Advertisement

Ya'll realise i'm gonna end up going to get another chicken roll mars barS and a large bottle of lucozade once madam is up from her nap? lol
    Or better yet i can ring my x :-D
    The col cannon and sugar was pure mank. I wanted to get sick just thinking about eating it but i just had to have it. Worst thing was it was even home made it was the crappy sh*te from dunnes.
    Rach what exactly is dr.pepper? I know it sounds silly and that it is a mineral but like digs i've never been brave enough to try it! Even though there's a shop here that sells it. Or did the last time i was in there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

Col cannon with sugar +1, sounds absolutely delightful, OH often makes a batch of caramelised onions with the col cannon and that is gorgeous stuff, so sure just putting sugar on it will be grand! I do pretty much need to be paid to just consider drinking Lucozade, it is the drink of the devil imo, really can't imagine anything worse to drink. Not a fan of Dr. Pepper either but it is more drinkable than Lucozade in my books, just has a really weird taste. The boys used to mix it with beer and the combination tastes like a pint of Amaretto for some reason.

Some other thing, pains in the upper legs and down there, I think someone compared it to having had too much sex before, to me it feels sort of like having ridden a very large animal without a saddle for days and without any experience of riding in the first place - I have been getting those for about 10 days now, primarily at night when turning - WHAT exactly is this pain? Can't find it in the books/pregnancy manuals. I find pain so much easier to cope with if I know what causes it. (Both sex and riding can be ruled out in my case.)

eating chicken roll now hehe...had to drop my OH into town and he gave me some money to get myself a roll....how romantic :rolleyes::P

dr. pepper...i grew up on it, my favorite soda! The closest thing i can equate it to is cherry coke! its got a cherry flavor to it, just not as cherry! I think the advertising for it here is awful...whats the worst that can happen? really? makes it sound miserable!

what exactly is colcannon? cheese? lol im on the other side of the conversation scratching my head at what that is!

my hands are so shakey....came out of no where....ever happen to anyone else? I'm wondering if ive over done it this morning and waited too long for lunch...can barely type! I had my nct for my car yesterday and it failed on a few small things (:mad::mad:) and i was running around this morning getting parts and little bits fixed....trying to get a retest for this weekend or monday cause once I have this baby its not going to happen!

Xiwang- im the same down there...so sore. It feels like Ive been riding a horse for days! my thighs dont hurt though....just right inbetween my legs! lots of lightening pains as well....they stop me in my tracks!

colcannon is mashed potatoe with kale or other cabbage, can be extremely tasty depending on how it is seasoned, I went nuts for it during the last four months or so, I think we cooked up ten mega batches in total.

sorry to hear about the failed NCT, a retest is just what you need now :mad: Hope you can get the small things fixed cheaply. Try to get a late appointment for the retest, like the last one of the day, they normally just want to go home and let you through.

Seeing my GP later today and will see if he can tell me what that soreness is, I mean if it came from the weight alone I would imagine it to spread and not be so centralized. Just thinking it might have started at around the same time I started the perineal massage?

bahaha no clue what possessed me to think colcannon was cheese! no offense, sounds a little gross to me. I am not a cabbage fan! But i might like it, i find i really enjoy all of these stodgy foods over here that we wouldnt really eat much in the states! (like swede, never had it before living here and i love it!)

yeah i was pretty annoyed last night/this morning. My poor OH i was giving stink this morning because he can't drive and can't take care of any of this stuff for me...I've been at him for 3 years now to get driving (I hate driving!) and he has dragged his feet the entire time! gah..anyways i started harping on that this morning...poor guy. Thankfully everyone has had sympathy on the pregnant lady...got my parts for next to nothing (20 quid for 40 euro worth of parts), one guy fixed my dipped beam for nothing (refused payment) and got my headlights buffed and he buffed out a few knicks on the car for the hell of it and only charged me 20 as well. It gives me hope in the human race when that kind of stuff happens lol! Hopefully the NCT people can get me in sunday or monday for the retest and then I can sit back and not worry about anything else until baby comes (this is literally the last thing I NEED to get done cause i wont do it after baby is here!)

I never started the massage...I couldnt reach and I just can't bring myself to get the OH to do it, even though i know he would, so I'm not sure if that is the cause of your pain! it never hurts to inquire though! I think a lot of that pain is just pressure related...baby is just big and there is a lot of stretching that is going on down there in the next few weeks!

Xiwang, those sound alot like the pains i'm getting and my doc diagnosed it as spd (symphsis pubsis disorder). Is not nice.
    I normally love colcannon but homemades proper stuff. Trust me the sugar is not nice with it.
    Rach the poxy nct is the last thing ya need but like xiwang said get the latest app ya can for the retest and you'll be grand.
    I'm still mars barless :-( my lo woke up in right cranky form after her nap so much she won't let go of me to let me pee let alone long enough to get the two of us sorted to go to the shop. *sigh* i may just wait till my dad is collection A from school at half two.

Oh it doesn't have to be made with just cabbage, i use scallons herbs as well as salt and pepper. Plus when i'm mashing the spuds i use cream and butter instead of milk and butter. Oh sometimes i'll saute some leaks in butter and use that instead of cabbage.

good to know you have it without the massage, I can sort of rule that out then.

Nice people at the garage, good to hear! Hope you can get the appointment sorted, but you know that as long as you have an appointment (even if it's in like two or three months' time) no one can bother you about it.

I never had the Dunnes colcannon, and the first time I had a home-made version it I didn't like it too much although I do like most cabbages, but oh gosh just thinking about it makes my mouth water now. I actually have two portions in the freezer just in case, but might harrass OH to make some fresh colcannon for dinner tonight :D

I am really blessed with him in that regard, he's always been good in the kitchen but would normally only go there if we have visitors. But ever since my bump got visible he took it as his job to make it grow and has been making dinner almost every night since September or so. He got a bit upset since my cravings died down (or centred around chocolate) so he'll be delighted when I actually request something haha.

Oh it doesn't have to be made with just cabbage, i use scallons herbs as well as salt and pepper. Plus when i'm mashing the spuds i use cream and butter instead of milk and butter. Oh sometimes i'll saute some leaks in butter and use that instead of cabbage.

true, anything really to make some fancy mash, you really got me ready for a big pile of mushy goodness now! :D

Thumby thanks for the info on spd, gosh I hope it is something else but the description of not nice fits, to say the least :S

mmm sounds nice with sauteed leeks....Leeks is another veg we dont really use in the states...its lovely, especially in soups. mmmm

hope little miss gets uncranky...must try and make her understand the importance of the mars bar! :P

Thats good that your OH really helps out in the kitchen! I feel pretty lucky in that respect as well since he really enjoys cooking and trying out new recipes...but I would say the cooking is 50/50 right now. I was making soup last night but I think tonight its his turn! I couldn't imagine having a partner that wouldn't cook or couldn't cook- mine didn't know how when we first got married, but hes pretty picky and i told him I wasn't his mammy and if he didnt like what I made he could go hungry (lol im so nice huh??) so he learned to cook pretty quick! :D

Good luck with your GP...headed to mine on monday...im going to get there 40 minutes early to try and beat the OAP's that must wait up all night to go to the doc first thing in the morning...

• Advertisement

I'm giggling here at the colcannon conversation - you're all mad!

I'm feeling better - had some potatoes and peas for lunch and it's made a huge difference. Perhaps yesterday was just a bad day. We'll see how the afternoon goes anyway :rolleyes:

Rach, that sucks about the nct. How come your OH doesn't drive? Did he not get around to it? I know how much it sucks, my hubby didn't have a driving licence until a few weeks ago. He was trying to swap his NZ licence for ages and there was so much bureaucracy around it (surprisingly not from the Irish end of things, it was NZ!). He ended up having to do a driving test, which he passed but it sucked that he couldn't drive without me in the car for a while until he passed the test. I was too sick to leave my bed so it was very awkward! Meant him getting me things from the shops was a pain.

Aww bless him xi, my x god love him isn't too impressed with my cravings at all. Mainly cause he's getting them as well, to the extent he'll wake up at 2/3 am craving what i'm usually eating at that hour. Best bit is he's the one that putting on all the weight :-D despite having a massive bump i'm still underweight for 29 weeks ( which is tomorrow woo hoo).
    Jaysus rach ya lucked out at that garage didn't ya? Ya jammy git ya :-P
    One question though hun. How is you're other half planning on getting you to the hospital and himself home when you're in labour/have the babs if he can't drive?
    Oh and xi ive never done the perianal massage either. It would be a bit awkward askin my x. although in saying that i've told him he'll be doing some lady grooming pre labour for me cause i just cannot see what i'm doing anymore.

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm giggling here at the colcannon conversation - you're all mad!

I'm feeling better - had some potatoes and peas for lunch and it's made a huge difference. Perhaps yesterday was just a bad day. We'll see how the afternoon goes anyway :rolleyes:

Rach, that sucks about the nct. How come your OH doesn't drive? Did he not get around to it? I know how much it sucks, my hubby didn't have a driving licence until a few weeks ago. He was trying to swap his NZ licence for ages and there was so much bureaucracy around it (surprisingly not from the Irish end of things, it was NZ!). He ended up having to do a driving test, which he passed but it sucked that he couldn't drive without me in the car for a while until he passed the test. I was too sick to leave my bed so it was very awkward! Meant him getting me things from the shops was a pain.

He has never bothered learning! It drives me mad! I was never a huge fan of driving, was completely necessary in america (I worked 45 miles one way from home!) and that was something I looked forward to about living in Ireland....well us not having a car is doable, but not practical. so I've had to be the one to drive everywhere since I've lived here :mad::mad: I can barely fit behind the wheel at this stage! Fingers crossed I dont have to have a c-section cause i can't drive for a few weeks then! All I have to say is he WILL be getting his license after christmas because I'm tired damnit! :p

Aww bless him xi, my x god love him isn't too impressed with my cravings at all. Mainly cause he's getting them as well, to the extent he'll wake up at 2/3 am craving what i'm usually eating at that hour. Best bit is he's the one that putting on all the weight :-D despite having a massive bump i'm still underweight for 29 weeks ( which is tomorrow woo hoo).
    Jaysus rach ya lucked out at that garage didn't ya? Ya jammy git ya :-P
    One question though hun. How is you're other half planning on getting you to the hospital and himself home when you're in labour/have the babs if he can't drive?
    Oh and xi ive never done the perianal massage either. It would be a bit awkward askin my x. although in saying that i've told him he'll be doing some lady grooming pre labour for me cause i just cannot see what i'm doing anymore.

haha yeah i totally lucked out at the mechanics! I also work with the cousin of the guy at the parts shop so he knocked the price right down for me (I've only lived in limerick for 3 years and I can't go anywhere without knowing someone...dead handy!)

the driving to the hospital thing, thats a question I've been asking myself as well! and part of me fussing at his this morning about! I spoke to the consultant about it, part of me wanting an induction date...and he said that i should be able to drive myself to the maternity in labour since my labour will last at least 18 hours (seriously exactly what he said) :eek::eek::mad: as far as going home, hopefully my OH's mam will take us home, if not I can ask a friend. I would just rather not have to depend on other people. sigh

Glad you're feeling better murdy. We're not mad just pregnant. See proper spuds fix everything. Xi i think i'll be havin some for my own dinner tonight as well. Rach if ya like leaks chuck in some smoked rashers and season with cracked black pepper and once again saute in dairygold butter. Is sooo yummy. Madam has cheered up a bit now. I was able to pee on my own :-D
    It's the little things lol

Rachineire wrote: »
    haha yeah i totally lucked out at the mechanics! I also work with the cousin of the guy at the parts shop so he knocked the price right down for me (I've only lived in limerick for 3 years and I can't go anywhere without knowing someone...dead handy!)

the driving to the hospital thing, thats a question I've been asking myself as well! and part of me fussing at his this morning about! I spoke to the consultant about it, part of me wanting an induction date...and he said that i should be able to drive myself to the maternity in labour since my labour will last at least 18 hours (seriously exactly what he said) :eek::eek::mad: as far as going home, hopefully my OH's mam will take us home, if not I can ask a friend. I would just rather not have to depend on other people. sigh

Would you even just get a taxi to the hospital? and then get someone to pick you up? Tbh, even though my hubby could drive me in I'd be tempted to do that anyway so we wouldn't have to worry about parking (because it's a nightmare around Holles St). Then he can get the dart home and bring the car back in when he collects me. A friend lives 10 mins from the hospital and she's already offered her spare room if he gets sent home at any stage while I'm in labour so he can get back in quickly.

Glad you're feeling better murdy. We're not mad just pregnant. See proper spuds fix everything. Xi i think i'll be havin some for my own dinner tonight as well. Rach if ya like leaks chuck in some smoked rashers and season with cracked black pepper and once again saute in dairygold butter. Is sooo yummy. Madam has cheered up a bit now. I was able to pee on my own :-D

You're right - spuds do fix everything, I had real butter on them any everything. Yum!

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Would you even just get a taxi to the hospital? and then get someone to pick you up? Tbh, even though my hubby could drive me in I'd be tempted to do that anyway so we wouldn't have to worry about parking (because it's a nightmare around Holles St). Then he can get the dart home and bring the car back in when he collects me. A friend lives 10 mins from the hospital and she's already offered her spare room if he gets sent home at any stage while I'm in labour so he can get back in quickly.

I could probably get a taxi in, but I want my own car there too so I can leave my maternity bag in there while I'm in the labour ward and leave extra bits in like nappies and clothes for myself. haha I am trying to have my cake and eat it too!! Thats so handy that you have a friend just around the corner so he doesnt have to go all the way back home! chances are he will probably take your friend on that offer so he can get a few hours of shut eye if you have the baby late at night and they kick him out until visiting hours start again in the morning (had that happen to a couple of friends!) I know everything will work out for the best in the end, I just need to not stress about it cause theres nothing that can be done at this stage! (besides give my OH the evil side eye every so often :pac:)

Thumby, glad litle miss has cheered up! I hear rumour that i need to enjoy quiet time in the toilet now since it wont happen again for a few years!

I believe I am going to call him and have him pick up some leeks and rashers in town...sounds gorgeous! (even though im still full from the chicken roll! haha!)

• Advertisement

Where exactly is he getting 18 hours from? Fair enough my first was that long (i went naturally) but i was induced on kacie and they were tellin me i was looking at min 18 hours again if not longer because it was an induction. They couldn't have been more wrong! They broke my waters at 11.35pm after having to pull the cervix down (i wasn't dialated or effaced at all). By 11.45pm i was in active labour and 3cm dialated. She was born at 4.37am, five hours two mins later. It would have been less but i ended up getting the epidural and they said that added at least an hour onto labour and delivery because 1 i kept going back to sleep when they were waking me (i don't like people waking me) and 2 i couldn't feel a thing when i was pushing.

Advertisement