Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Airport - mega merge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

xflyer wrote: »
    Oranmore which is still actually state owned was the best place for an airport which is the actual reason the RAF built an airfield there in the first place.

Where in Oranmore is this located? google maps location? wouldnt mind a gander.

/Edit
    Found it: http://www.ronaldv.nl/abandoned/airfields/EI/west.html
    looking at google maps I recognise it now, its that unused IDA park near the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Pay a visit scruff, it's interesting. Climb the hill and see the potential all around. Lots of land, near a train station. Lament the lost opportunity.

This is a town that should have an international airport alongside Cork, Dublin and Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Another for motorsport. I'd be more than happy than to help out as a marshal :)
    Jules de Their designed Spa racetrack, but, what does he know? Ladies and Gentleman,
    "The Tribe's Ring(just sounds wrong)
    Racetrack.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lovely spin with the crayons there Brad.

There is no business case for a commercial airport in Galway, end of story.

We lost that argument in 1936, as I recall, the thing that existed in the past 20 years was subsidy driven not commercially driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

There is no reason it can't be used as motoracing track and an airfield, not neccessarily simultaneously:eek: This is not uncommon. The Top Gear track is at an operational airfield.

The only problem is whether there is a demand for this. I think Mondello has it pretty much sewn up. But maybe a couple of times a year. Another race week only this time with different sorts of horsepower. It's not really a viable year round idea though. Maybe track days where you can bring your Polo and overturn it at 'Carnmore corner' or 'Corrib curve'.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lovely spin with the crayons there Brad.

There is no business case for a commercial airport in Galway, end of story.

We lost that argument in 1936, as I recall, the thing that existed in the past 20 years was subsidy driven not commercially driven.

If Galway had an airport with a full sized runway it would be extremely attractive for passengers and airlines, it's more accessable than shannon or knock, has a bigger catchment, etc, etc, etc.

The reason Carnmore wasn't profitable was because larger jets couldn't land there, which meant no major airlines were interested.

Had they moved to Oranmore when they were meant to, it woul have thrived.
    Granted, knock would be screwed and Shannon would be even more of a ghost town, but over all, it would have suited the infrastructure of the country better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

If that road at the western end of the runway, which runs south towards the motorway, was removed... surely an extension of the runway is possible ?

There seems to be plenty of reasonably flat land extending towards Ballybrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

If that road at the western end of the runway, which runs south towards the motorway, was removed... surely an extension of the runway is possible ?

There seems to be plenty of reasonably flat land extending towards Ballybrit.

The biggest obstacle to extending the runway was AerArann . Longer runway would mean larger planes, at least small jets ,potentially leading to other airlines operating out of Galway which would have been competition for them. They wanted it all for themselves.

Problem with a landowner somewhere too, allegedly a relative was hired once and fired for being utterly useless so they would not sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Isn't that what compulsory purchase orders were designed for ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

it's not as easy as COP'ing the land and moving the junction down the road a bit, it crosses too many different owners lands, it would be a nightmare.

They had an easy option, they turned it down and stuck with a dead end to protect a local business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As a taxpayer, I'm delighted.
    If anybody wants an airport I don't see what business it is of mine to pay for it.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    As a taxpayer, I'm delighted.
    If anybody wants an airport I don't see what business it is of mine to pay for it.

Better close down Shannon, Knock, Dublin, and the biggest cost to you as a taxpayer Dublin...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

galwayrush wrote: »
    Better close down Shannon, Knock, Dublin, and the biggest cost to you as a taxpayer Dublin...:rolleyes:

Cant speak for Knock but DAA (Dublin,Cork, Shannon) made ebitda of 160 million and group profit of 30 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Why close them? Sell them. If they can manage without handouts then good luck to them.
    Couldn't give a monkey's really if they can't, but it's still none of taxpayer's business.

Cant speak for Knock but DAA (Dublin,Cork, Shannon) made ebitda of 160 million and group profit of 30 million.

Should knock a little bit off the astronomical cost of Cork's new terminal and T2 in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

You should be delighted if it brings jobs, Two airports beside you. I think the vast majority would prefer the jobs...

It won't bring any additional jobs that couldn't come here now.

Even if they manage to sell it and it gets used as an industrial estate, it only means that another hole in the ground somewhere else in Galway gets left unfilled. Those jobs would have come anyway. It's not as if there's a shortage of building sites.

Where I currently work I'm surrounded by empty office buildings and several large holes that were meant to contain one. We have many abandoned perfectly good industrial estates.

We have just one airport. And the many light airfields in the world can attest to small airports being viable without any scheduled services. Selling it off will only remove another thing that makes Galway stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

i was hoping it would start up again cause it had some good flights to the uk ideal for matches around september. shame

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    I still have my fingers crossed for a car park.
    They stole my idea!
    Minister of State Alan Kelly is to make contact with city officials to relook at proposals for a city park and ride at Galway Airport. http://www.galwaynews.ie/28862-minister-state-address-city-officials-merits-park-n-ride-galway-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

Apart from having a big empty car park, I don't see any advantage of having a P&R out at the airport. There are no bus lanes any where near it, a long straight road with a ridiculously low speed limit and it is on the road of least traffic, i.e. it is between the much busier Tuam and Dublin Roads.
    I believe putting in a P&R here would be a knee jerk reaction just to fill a need of getting money into a disused place and try to save face for public representatives. There is a need for a decent P&R service, but it needs to be properly located on routes with dependable bus services on dedicated bus lanes and secure car parking. If this happened I think people would avail of other incentives like tax saver bus tickets and avail of the service.

• Advertisement

ratracer wrote: »
    Apart from having a big empty car park, I don't see any advantage of having a P&R out at the airport. There are no bus lanes any where near it, a long straight road with a ridiculously low speed limit and it is on the road of least traffic, i.e. it is between the much busier Tuam and Dublin Roads.
    I believe putting in a P&R here would be a knee jerk reaction just to fill a need of getting money into a disused place and try to save face for public representatives. There is a need for a decent P&R service, but it needs to be properly located on routes with dependable bus services on dedicated bus lanes and secure car parking. If this happened I think people would avail of other incentives like tax saver bus tickets and avail of the service.

why does it have to be a route with dependable bus services? i mean the point is you drive to it and then the bus for the park and ride then takes you to specific locations. also having it on a quieter road should mean that the park and ride is reliable. as long as you can access the road from the busier roads to get to the park and ride then it makes sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

magnumbud wrote: »
    why does it have to be a route with dependable bus services? i mean the point is you drive to it and then the bus for the park and ride then takes you to specific locations. also having it on a quieter road should mean that the park and ride is reliable. as long as you can access the road from the busier roads to get to the park and ride then it makes sense to me

Except for the traffic lights that make it very hard to get off the road in question at rush hour (and in off peak hours, leave you waiting for 2/3 minutes when the road is clear).

If they want to do this, they'll need to send the buses back to Carnmore cross and to the motorway, so they can use the bus lane from Doughiska on the Dublin Rd. Of course that'll make it useless for the estates in Parkmore, Ballybrit, Ballybane and Mervue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭ratracer

magnumbud wrote: »

If the bus service is not dependable, who will use it? , this is the problem with people not using the service already. The road is the quieter of the three mentioned, but this does not mean it is quiet, far from it if morning traffic reports are accurate. For P&R to be feasible, buses need to be a quicker alternative to private car use, and the only way to have that is by having dedicated bus lanes during peak hours.

ratracer wrote: »
    If the bus service is not dependable, who will use it? , this is the problem with people not using the service already. The road is the quieter of the three mentioned, but this does not mean it is quiet, far from it if morning traffic reports are accurate. For P&R to be feasible, buses need to be a quicker alternative to private car use, and the only way to have that is by having dedicated bus lanes during peak hours.

i meant other bus services not the bus associated with the park and ride itself. i thought that it was being suggest that the other bus services in that area need to be reliable too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

Has the airport closed permanently or is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

gifted wrote: »
    Has the airport closed permanently or is it still open?

Yes. And no.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

It's still open during the week for general aviation traffic, no scheduled services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

hae they much staff up there still?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

its a bit silly putting in a park and ride , especially with oranmore railway station opening before the summer.

• Advertisement

No real parking at this Oranmore station which is in a field well outside Oranmore anyway. It will cost around €7-€8 return for a train ticket from the field well outside Oranmore to the city....not including parking I suspect.

The airport has substantial unused parking facilities in situ.

Advertisement