Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Down 8lbs since I started 9th September got my half stone award last week :) Gonna aim for the half stone again for Christmas think a stone pre Christmas would be a bit ambitious for me - lots of going out, Christmas parties if I lose half stone will be happy. Can work on losing the post Christmas pounds in January

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭prettyinpink

Any body else find some wks on the diet they are really bloated? I've been like this now 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭emma_mc123

Any body else find some wks on the diet they are really bloated? I've been like this now 3 days.

I used to before slimming world, but I've really cut out a huge amount of pasta, breads, rice etc

most days I have salads or soups for lunch
    get my fibre and carbs from beans, chickpeas, lentils

try to cut out gluten, but I haven't completely eliminates yet (doubt it ever will be, I love quorn too much)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

When I first started SW I was really bloated from eating all the fruit wasnt a big fruit eater and my body went into shock :eek: I had cramps for a few days. Once my body got used to the fruit and veg fest though I was fine I dont get bloated at all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

WI tonight and dreading it, i know im up at least 1.5lbs+, half cos of star week half cos the whole plan went out the window for at least 3 days leading up to it
    so not sure if i want to go or not cos im in a foul mood as it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

That explains really well and sounds like such a good idea, where do you get them?? i totally have pitfall and if i saw them in black and white id def be more likely to do something about them
    emma_mc123 wrote: »
    they are small sheets similar to the food diaries

on the front side, you tick if you have any goals for the day "eat more superfree, prepare meals for the day etc"
    and you also get to tick what your potential downfalls are "petrol stations, not preparing etc"

on the other side, it's similar to the food diary, but you write down the food in the order you eat it
    -select whether it is free, superfree, syned, how many syns
    -if you weighed or estimated the weight
    - if it was planned or spontaneous etc

if you fill it out consistently it makes you more aware of pitfalls and your habits with eating
    I know myself that my pitfalls are the 3pm slump, not preparing breakfast so I end up eating too much cereal, or buying multipacks of hifis or alpen bars. I can easily eat through an entire packet :-o

hope that explains it

im in the same star boat and have weigh in later, i feel so bloated i cant be anything but up even though ive had an ok week....my mood is questionable too but i think im just gona go and see what happens.... il figure it out tomorrow, today the world is against me and my body wants junk so im going to enjoy and start afresh friday.
    ditzyfairy wrote: »
    WI tonight and dreading it, i know im up at least 1.5lbs+, half cos of star week half cos the whole plan went out the window for at least 3 days leading up to it
    so not sure if i want to go or not cos im in a foul mood as it is

Ask your consultant for the SAS logs, I think they are great. Really promote mindfulness when it comes to eating

I had a talk with my consultant privately last week about struggling. Even just getting to say it outloud helped so much, think it broke the cycle of being ashamed of my struggles then making them worse in the long run

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jewow

best thing to do!
    I was up 2lbs last week, but I had to face facts, my weigh ins have been up and down because I haven't really followed the plan properly.
    I took the chance to talk to my consultant, and while she didn't offer me anything new, it was just so lovely being able to say outloud that I had trouble keeping motivation.
    This has been the first week that I've kept up full motivation, really happy and proud. I've even been able to have a few small snacks, but generally within all my syn levels. Can have a few chocolate buttons then give the rest to friends to finish. Normally I just need the taste to get over the craving and then I'm ok

hope you get on better this week!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I tried my best alright and was down 2lbs this week :) was v happy and a bit surprised as I had a christening on Sat and while I was pretty good food wise I had a good few beers to drink :p

On that does anyone know the syns in bottled beer Miller or Corona Light :confused: would like to know for future reference!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

Basic/Non Branded Foods Lager, basic, Premium 284ml
    Original 8½ Syns Green 8½ Syns EE 8½

Couldn't find Miller specifically but guess they are all about the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jewow

Basic/Non Branded Foods Lager, basic, Premium 284ml
    Original 8½ Syns Green 8½ Syns EE 8½

Couldn't find Miller specifically but guess they are all about the same.

Thanks for the reply, WOW 8 and 1/2 syns!! that is alot :(

i was up so for last 2 weeks i have nothing lost, and im exercising so much more, apparently too much.... not very happy with this answer as i want to get fit and tone not just lose and be flabby... what do ye think have ye started exercising and stopped losing, the consultant said its not unusual????

Dair wrote: »
    i was up so for last 2 weeks i have nothing lost, and im exercising so much more, apparently too much.... not very happy with this answer as i want to get fit and tone not just lose and be flabby... what do ye think have ye started exercising and stopped losing, the consultant said its not unusual????

What type of exercise are you doing?

Have you kept a food diary?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

You can't exercise too much! Really logic dictates that - what may happen is that you retain some extra water around the muscles as it's needed for muscle building and repair. Don't give up on the exercise - I exercise an hour a day most days and I seem to have 2 or even 3 weeks were I stay the same, loss of half a pound, nothing much - then I drop 3 - 5lb for the next 2 weeks. It can be frustrating at times when others seem to be doing so little and getting better results but it evens out - you will benefit from it in the long term as muscle uses more calories and you'll be toned.
    If you really want to show a loss this week cut out at least 70% of your usual grain consumption - bread, pasta, biscuits, cereal, crackers etc - stick with a small amount of oats or potatoes every day. Drink more water - depending on how much you weigh (at 13 stone 7 I was supposed to drink 4 litres - (it's now less than 3 )twice as much as the 2 I thought was normal) . Don't despair. The scales will catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

What happens at SW if you miss a week? Should I let my consultant know in advance that I won't be there? Will I still be able to access the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Ring your consultant and explain that you need to take a weeks holiday.
    You won't be charged for missing this class then.
    I think you can take 6 weeks holidays a year.

Thanks emma mc123 and boxercreations, i think i was venting!!
    I try to exercise 4/5 times a week an hour each time either swimming/walking and think im going to start zumba for something different. Im enjoying the exercising and agree totally i wont be giving it up as i dont want to lose all the weight and be more flab than tone!!!
    Still keep the diary prob not as methadocial as i should if i dont have a positive result on Wed for weigh in then il do better!!!

Thanks emma mc123 and boxercreations, i think i was venting!!
    I try to exercise 4/5 times a week an hour each time either swimming/walking and think im going to start zumba for something different. Im enjoying the exercising and agree totally i wont be giving it up as i dont want to lose all the weight and be more flab than tone!!!
    Still keep the diary prob not as methadocial as i should if i dont have a positive result on Wed for weigh in then il do better!!!

definitely don't quit the exercise! it's so good for you :)
    if you get bored, try doing interval exercise (sprint 30 secs, walk 30 secs)
    i find this a really quick way to fit in an intensive workout in less than 30 minutes

I get so bored on exercise routines, I like doing intervals, weight circuits, swimming, hiking, badminton, yoga etc
    it's really important to keep variety and motivation. Your body will become too used to long cardio sessions if you let it

with the food diary, one of the most important things is to write down the food you eat as soon as you eat it. Sounds simple, but you wouldn't believe how easy it is to forget tidbits when you don't write it immediately, and all these tidbits are what adds up and hampers you weight loss :(

all the best on your weigh in!

Lost half a pound last night. Not great but considering I had mexican, chinese and it was a bank holiday, I'm quite delighted.

Back on track again with lunch prepared and a healthy breakfast in my tummy :-D

Congrats Emma, Thats fantastic after the weekend...ive kept up the exercise this week anyway but after the long weekend (3 meals out and 2 long nights drinking) im uncertain as to what will happen, please god a loss.
    To be honest since i started the exercising (and toning) more people have noticed the loss so somethings definately working i just need the scales to work with me too.
    Weigh in at 5.30 eeeek!!! hope im smiling later :)
    Lost half a pound last night. Not great but considering I had mexican, chinese and it was a bank holiday, I'm quite delighted.

Back on track again with lunch prepared and a healthy breakfast in my tummy :-D

• Advertisement

one pound down so cant complain one more pound next week and thats another half stone :)
    Bring on the exercise and healthy eating!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

up 1lb last night, was kind of expecting it because i'd be down last week after having the worst week ever so think it was delayed reaction or something. Wasnt any better today so just going to start again tomorrow and learn to say no to desert menus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Great reading this thread. I'm planning on joining slimming world next week, just took a notion today, only a few weeks til Christmas so I've something to focus myself for. Just a couple of questions... I know the weight I love being, however there has never been a scale in existence in my house so no idea what that weight was! I'm guessing a stone/stone and a half lighter than I am now. Do I just tell the leader this or do they weigh and measure you and tell you what your weight should be according to your height etc.
    Also, while I'm familiar with the concept of the EE, are you actually able to eat carbs with each meal and still see a loss? I know everyone is different but is it really do able to have we'll say 2 weetabix for breakfast, a slice of brown bread with salad or whatever is superfree for lunch and pasta/ rice/ potatoes with dinner?

gg2 wrote: »
    Great reading this thread. I'm planning on joining slimming world next week, just took a notion today, only a few weeks til Christmas so I've something to focus myself for. Just a couple of questions... I know the weight I love being, however there has never been a scale in existence in my house so no idea what that weight was! I'm guessing a stone/stone and a half lighter than I am now. Do I just tell the leader this or do they weigh and measure you and tell you what your weight should be according to your height etc.
    Also, while I'm familiar with the concept of the EE, are you actually able to eat carbs with each meal and still see a loss? I know everyone is different but is it really do able to have we'll say 2 weetabix for breakfast, a slice of brown bread with salad or whatever is superfree for lunch and pasta/ rice/ potatoes with dinner?

with EE you get two healthy extras. One covers your calcium, so it's a measured amount of milk/cheese etc
    the other covers fibre, so you can choose between certain breads, cereals, cereal bars.
    any breads, cereals, milk, cheese etc outside of these measured portions need to be syned

pasta, potatoes etc are seen as free food
    I don't eat a lot of these as a personal choice, but many other members of the group do and lose nearly every week
    the key is to make sure at least one third of your meals have superfree food
    most fruits are superfree (fresh or frozen, not tinned) and vegetables which are low in starch are superfree
    the idea is to fill up on superfree so you won't eat as many carbs through pasta etc, yet you won't feel deprived

hope that makes sense. You'd probably be best going to a meeting and getting this information properly from a consultant at a new members talk

Sorry, I should have gave an example

most breakfasts I like to have eggs, so I would have salmon and egg omlette with my 1/3 superfree = spinach, mushrooms and tomatoes

at lunch I generally have a hot salad. hot chicken, turkey, etc served on superfree lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers (whatever salad veg)
    easily one half of this is superfree

dinner would be meat/quorn stir fry with loads of veg, beansprouts, broccoli, baby corn etc
    again easily half of this is superfree, unless I'm really hungry and add a bit of rice

snacks tend to be fruit (more superfree), yogurt, sometimes a cereal bar (Healthy extra)

I also use my calcium healthy extra for the milk in my coffees

hope this gives you an idea! it sounds like a lot of salad and veggies, but I do love eating them! and there is a surprising amount of variety to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

I'm starting slimming world on Wednesday I cannot wait, I did weight watchers before and lost 2 stone but I just can't get back into it again. I hope slimming woe works for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

is slimming world like Weight watcher's? I did WW few years ago on the points system and believe now it not all points there are alot more "free" foods but you have to have your daily intake of protein, carbs etc each day? is Slimming World like this or different?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mharper

I'm joining tomorrow night so I will let you know 😃

No points on SW!!! You just syn certain foods but it is very flexible..lean meat, veg potatoes, rice pasta, noodles,eggs, fresh fruit and veg all FREE eat as much as you like.. and thats just some there are more but if you read back over the thrad you should get more info

Weigh in today ladies.... i think im down so fingers crossed xx Up to 34 lengths of the pool as well so happy that im getting toned .

any one try anything good lately im mad to cook somthing different.

• Advertisement

No points on SW!!! You just syn certain foods but it is very flexible..lean meat, veg potatoes, rice pasta, noodles,eggs, fresh fruit and veg all FREE eat as much as you like.. and thats just some there are more but if you read back over the thrad you should get more info

Weigh in today ladies.... i think im down so fingers crossed xx Up to 34 lengths of the pool as well so happy that im getting toned .

any one try anything good lately im mad to cook somthing different.

lost 2.5 last night and won slimmer of the week

delighted :-D

experimenting with hot & spicy salads lately
    cook the meat/quorn in different spices (sometimes a taco mix - 5 syns for entire pack)
    serve hot meat on bed of spinach, tomatoes, whatever salad you like

feels more substantial than a cold salad, and I'm not quite a soup eater so this is good for me

although I have made a nice chicken and sweetcorn soup using creamed corn that I bought up north last week

plan to make the curry loaf as well. Bought some chickpea dahl as well up north, and got some savoury rice in my slimmer of the week prize :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement