Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I have a kindle love it to bits, don't really care about the lack of privacy to be honest. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The innocent have nothing to fear!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Dades wrote: »
    The innocent have nothing to fear!

I always make sure I have a few very serious history books and even a couple of primary sources on there in case 'they' think all I read is books involving swords, dragons, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels....

.....actually, now that I think about it the serious history books are all about swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels with a hint of 'here be yt dragans'.....

Guess that is all I read....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finished off Mortality by Hitchens, a little disappointed to find that some of it was taken from articles I'd already read online. But can't really complain overall, it's good to get an insight into his final months/days.

I think I'll delve into some Sci-Fi next (a genre of literature I'm not crazy about), so am going to start on Ender's Game this evening. I can't really argue with 2528 five star ratings on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Finished off Mortality by Hitchens, a little disappointed to find that some of it was taken from articles I'd already read online. But can't really complain overall, it's good to get an insight into his final months/days.

I think I'll delve into some Sci-Fi next (a genre of literature I'm not crazy about), so am going to start on Ender's Game this evening. I can't really argue with 2528 five star ratings on Amazon.

Ender's Game is FANTASTIC!!

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »

Does it by any chance contain swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels...and a dragon or two????

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Does it by any chance contain swords, pirates, bloody skirmishes, devious clerics and backstabbing scoundrels...and a dragon or two????
    You need Tim Powers (see earlier)!

I think you might really enjoy The Drawing of the Dark. :)

kylith wrote: »
    Well, over a third of the way through and so far I don't disagree with you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Currently reading "God, No" cause I like me some Penn Jillette. Got about 5 other books piled up on the kindle app for afters; One of which is on the amazing Nikola Tesla. Anyone who doesn't know much about him go check out the oatmeal comic (and anyone that doesn't know who oatmeal is either, you sicken me) but...
    Dades wrote: »
    But you're much more likely to get spied reading Fifty Shades of Grey with the paperback in your hand. :)

How any guy can not see the benefits of reading a book that is basically a manual in what a lot of (I'm not saying all y'all!) women are turned on by seems odd to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ShooterSF wrote: »
    How any guy can not see the benefits of reading a book that is basically a manual in what a lot of (I'm not saying all y'all!) women are turned on by seems odd to me.

Because we don't intend to date women who want to be repressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

1984 by Mr Orwell, just picked up from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jernal wrote: »
    Because we don't intend to date women who want to be repressed.

To be fair I haven't read it yet but its always interesting to see what piques the opposite genders interests. I reserve full right to be disgusted after reading as much as I can :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    1984 by Mr Orwell, just picked up from the library.

I went through a big Orwell phase years back, read and reread everything I could get my hands on by him.

I didn't particularly like most of his novels (A Clergyman's Daughter put years on me, in particular), but I really enjoyed most of his other work. I picked up his Collected Essays again there recently, and wow, I had forgotten what a good writer he was.

I had an interesting conversation with a former student about 1984. After reading it, she said (in awe, I might add) that Orwell understood China. No higher praise can I think of...! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

started survivors by richard fortey this morning. he's consistently good.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Funny enough a lot of it is pretty tame or else just odd. I said on AH that any woman who got ideas from the book wouldn't be someone I'd be interested in as they would be pretty damn boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Just finished the latest Ross O'Carroll Kelly - best yet.

And a Spencer "Painted Ladies" novel by Robt B Parker that I missed out on - great and I've ordered two his Westerns from The Book Depository. "Appaloosa" is his best and a great film.

Half-way through Beginners Guide to Marx and though it might spoil the ending for others - he appears to have got it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Well, over a third of the way through and so far I don't disagree with you! :)

Good stuff, the endorsements here plus a glance at the blurb about it on Goodreads have propelled this to the top of my list.

FWIW, about half way through The Name of the Wind and have to say it's really terrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Heading down to the bookshop to pick up my long awaited copy of "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin. Spending the day under the duvet with it and a pot of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Received my delivery of John Dies at the End and The Fifty Year Sword today. Started JDATE and it seems pretty good so far, but am saving TFYS for the long weekend because I want to read that in one uninterrupted block.

Had a nice chat with the man in the An Post depot too. Turns out he's a big reader, though generally of more mainstream stuff. I, as always, recommended Danielowski with 'He's brilliant! I'd tell you what his books are about, but I have no idea myself'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ender's Game is brilliant. Even if its author was a scary mormon :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    Heading down to the bookshop to pick up my long awaited copy of "The Twelve" by Justin Cronin. Spending the day under the duvet with it and a pot of coffee.
    I quite enjoyed The Passage, though it suffered badly in some places from lack of a good editor. Might give The Twelve a chance at some point.

What I wouldn't give for a day under the duvet with a good book!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

On a bit of a fantasy binge at the moment. Read the A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R. R. Martin and The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb over the last few months. Brilliant stuff all round.

Read The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susan Collins last week. Surprisingly good I have to say.

Going back to Robin Hobb now and just started The Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday, seems great so far.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    On a bit of a fantasy binge at the moment. Read the A Song of Ice & Fire series by George R. R. Martin and The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb over the last few months. Brilliant stuff all round.

Read The Hunger Games Trilogy by Susan Collins last week. Surprisingly good I have to say.

Going back to Robin Hobb now and just started The Liveship Traders trilogy yesterday, seems great so far.

I enjoyed Robin Hobbs - might go back and have a re-read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah, she's brill
    Her and kate elliott and katharine kerr.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, she's brill

*googles Kate Elliot and Katherine Kerr*

Ohhhhhhh.....adds to list.

Ignores urge to raise bluewolf's brill by an amazeballs....

Has anyone read Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid?

I got my copy in the post today, it looks absolutely fascinating, here's a brief synopsis...
    Douglas Hofstadter’s book is concerned directly with the nature of “maps” or links between formal systems. However, according to Hofstadter, the formal system that underlies all mental activity transcends the system that supports it. If life can grow out of the formal chemical substrate of the cell, if consciousness can emerge out of a formal system of firing neurons, then so too will computers attain human intelligence. Gödel Escher and Bach is a wonderful exploration of fascinating ideas at the heart of cognitive science: meaning, reduction, recursion, and much more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have tried to read it. put it away for a future attempt.

Yeah I was going to read it after what I'm currently reading, but I'm not quite ready for it. I'll save it for when I'm really in the mood, otherwise I'll never get through it. It's also a bit more text-booky than I was expecting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, she's brill

Robin Hobb I have read.
    But not those two.

What book would you recommend first?

Advertisement