Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm glad to read this. I've been so careful to eat a healthy diet - until now - all of a sudden I just want to eat all the crap of the day - biscuits, desserts, ice-cream - all the stuff I've been avoiding for ages and now finding impossible to resist :eek: Taper madness or just complete lack of willpower??

I am eating like a horse. It would be great if it was taper madness but I'm afraid I won't stop once the big run is over. I was at a conference today so didn't eat non-stop but that's probably only a temporary break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Just had biscuits and cake and now a beer! Diet next week 😊 physio really gave me a good once over I've earned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Have just polished off a bar and a half of dairy milk :o

mmmmm..dairy milk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭FiiFii

2 cadbury screme eggs here, at least I'm seasonal for Halloween :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭breffni blue

blockic wrote: »
    So it was absolutely bucketing down here in Kilkenny this morning. Probably on the way to Dublin as we speak!

Which leads me to a question for the experienced marathoners out there.

If on race day conditions are bad, how much of an impact does this typically have on run performance (based on experience)?

E.g. If hypothetically one would run 3.30 on a dry day, under exact same conditions except for heavy rain, would this impact the person's time by a significant amount?

So if conditions really bad come race morning should one revise their target time upwards by a few minutes so they start out at the correct pace?

Hope this makes sense!

At the Belfast Marathon this year it was lashing and fairly windy in places, at the start of race I had a Pb of 3.35, I went with the 3.30 pacers that day in finished in 3.28, I don't mind running in the heat but ya beat a nice bit of drizzle...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

PHEW.... Least there's a few of us in it. I was blaming over eating lately on the high mileage but can't this week since I've only short runs to do. It's going to be a very long 10days! Surely chocolate isn't too harmful is it? They do say keep the diet as normal 

• Registered Users Posts: 35 curr33

FiiFii wrote: »
    2 cadbury screme eggs here, at least I'm seasonal for Halloween :)

should we turn this into a thread for eating after the 29th??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

blockic wrote: »
    Ok, so we have a few and the more the merrier! Will I put it over on the group sessions thread to see if others are interested there?

What time we thinking?

What pace are you looking at rasher? I can go with the gang..only looking for an easy session anyway.

I'm not too bothered about the pace either.

If you want to put it over on the other thread thats probably a good idea...try and generate more interest. I'm actually surprised more are not interested.

If its a dress rehearsal then 9 am should probably be start time.

Either I'm going cross eyes or else our google sheet is calculating some of the times wrong this week? Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

rasher_m wrote: »
    Either I'm going cross eyes or else our google sheet is calculating some of the times wrong this week? Anyone else notice this?

Try now rasher.

Had to roll back to earlier version. Someone caused mayhem about an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

What happened the other half?????:eek::eek:

DOCO12 wrote: »
    How's everyone's diet going? My main meals are healthy enough but I still can't resist the sweet stuff, I've no willpower! Also are bagels as a snack a good alternative or bad? I know their good for carbs but are they needed during taper? I've the taste for them now [/QUOTE

Like yourself doco12, I'm ok for the main meals but seem to be picking at stuff after that - mainly sugar based. I would have dropped about 1 1/2 stone since last year but most of it was done in the earlier months but I'd say that I've only lost 4 lbs in the last 4 months but I've definately toned up a good bit - still wont make the chippendales lineup though:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

DOCO12 wrote: »
    How's everyone's diet going? My main meals are healthy enough but I still can't resist the sweet stuff, I've no willpower! Also are bagels as a snack a good alternative or bad? I know their good for carbs but are they needed during taper? I've the taste for them now 
    I think I am the only person in history to actually put on weight while training for a marathon :o I genuinely can't stop eating! I thought it was down to the high mileage, but i'm still eating like a pig! I am craving carbs and sweet things, I am really going to have to adjust my diet after the marathon or i'll be the size of a house!

menoscemo wrote: »
    It's actually more likely to happen while running than while driving :pac:

poop-marathon-runner.jpg

Didnt something similar happen to Catriona McKiernan when she won the London marathon.I saw an interview with her a few years ago & she said that she met Brendan Foster the evening before & he took her for a pasta dish which obviously didnt agree with her. The biggest problem for her was that she found herself in the leading group & in contention when the problem started so she kept running & in fairness to her she went on to win it. She said that she was never so happy to see someone with one of those tin foil type blankets at the finishing line. Obviously by the number your man above is one of the elites but it must be an awful experience. I know that I had a bad reaction to a gel during the year on a lsr & I had to jump over a gate & be a cow for a few minutes - I'd imagine that wouldnt be too easy out around Crumlin:eek::eek::eek: Oh Jesus I'm shuddering even thinking about it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

referencing Ms McKiernan (& others)

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/general/1998e007.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Just got told news that have changed the way im looking at this marathon..My dad who has run every DCM since its inspection looks like hes pulling out of this one!!! He needs a hip replacment and planned walking it but its not looking good.. So glad that i trained for this years marathon because if he doesnt do it at least a member of the family will be involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

docrock wrote: »
    What happened the other half?????:eek::eek:
    CDM-Bar-_0026_-a-half-11002506.jpg:D

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Am I the only one having weird dreams?? Come on people, share!

Had one about MarthaStew last night (Well about the username at least!)

In the dream, I was at someone's pc in work and they had boards open and were posting under the name "MarthaStew". But the person was a man in the dream, so I didnt believe it was the same person pacing the 4.15, so I decided to wait until marthon day to see if it was the same person. And I'm not sure what happened as I woke up then
    Very strange! :o

ps. I am only assuming MarthaStew is a woman...

zefer wrote: »

Had one about MarthaStew last night (Well about the username at least!)

In the dream, I was at someone's pc in work and they had boards open and were posting under the name "MarthaStew". But the person was a man in the dream, so I didnt believe it was the same person pacing the 4.15, so I decided to wait until marthon day to see if it was the same person. And I'm not sure what happened as I woke up then
    Very strange! :o

ps. I am only assuming MarthaStew is a woman...
    Thats really funny :D Bit stalkerish too...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

QUOTE]

mine would go against boards etiquette :o - couldn't possibly share!

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

ah go on...were really all just a bunch of internet pervs

Youre not alone,my sleep is all over the place for the past two weeks,I'm fully awake when I should be on a lsr in my dreams & then when I do fall asleep I find myself waking up in the middle of the night coughing & spluttering like some fellow thats on the way out.Jesus if anyone saw me they'd say 26 miles???? he wont make the bathroom:eek:.The wife said that she woke up a few nights ago & I was sitting on the side of the bed stretching my leg out in front of me - I told her that I was obviously doing my sretching after the lsr that I just had in my dream;);) I'm going to go out on Saturday night & have a few pints cos at least I'll be able to get some bit of sleep - no major lash or anything just a few handy slow pints to chillout a small bit. However, I can tell you now that I am going to get locked the weekend after Dublin - the only problem with that is that I'll be in the horrors for another week:rolleyes::rolleyes:

docrock wrote: »
    Youre not alone,my sleep is all over the place for the past two weeks,I'm fully awake when I should be on a lsr in my dreams & then when I do fall asleep I find myself waking up in the middle of the night coughing & spluttering like some fellow thats on the way out.Jesus if anyone saw me they'd say 26 miles???? he wont make the bathroom:eek:.The wife said that she woke up a few nights ago & I was sitting on the side of the bed stretching my leg out in front of me - I told her that I was obviously doing my sretching after the lsr that I just had in my dream;);) I'm going to go out on Saturday night & have a few pints cos at least I'll be able to get some bit of sleep - no major lash or anything just a few handy slow pints to chillout a small bit. However, I can tell you now that I am going to get locked the weekend after Dublin - the only problem with that is that I'll be in the horrors for another week:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sounds gas!

I've been thinking about going out on Halloween night and dressing up etc and going on a bender. I've also been wondering to myself if I'm going to be physically fit for a night out. Hopefully I'll still be in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

3 Mile run on the plan for tonight. Hardly worth putting my running gear on for. Might just wear my work clothes and running shoes! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I haven't enjoyed my taper so far. Pulled a muscle something terrible during my 12 on Saturday. Been resting up since then. Heading out now for a gentle 3 or 4. Fingers crossed.

QUOTE]

You woke up on Monday 29th October at 6a.m. You had your breakfast, got your running gear sorted and then.............it suddenly occurred to you that..........you had never entered DCM!!!!!! Cue frantic messaging from you on boards, to buy someone's number. Cue frantic deleting of posts by Raycun. And then......you get a private message from Mr. Slow. You open it up but before you can read what it says........your wife gives you a dig in the ribs and tells you to stop snoring and you wake up........

Am I close????????

• Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm glad to read this. I've been so careful to eat a healthy diet - until now - all of a sudden I just want to eat all the crap of the day - biscuits, desserts, ice-cream - all the stuff I've been avoiding for ages and now finding impossible to resist :eek: Taper madness or just complete lack of willpower??

I was jsut thinking the same - I have been good diet wise for most of the training but this week has been a disaster - really craving - and eating loads of sugar laden junk food!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Was anyone listening to Roisin Ingle on Ray D’Arcy? She is walking the marathon; they were talking about Heartbreak Hill aka Roebuck Road. I made the mistake of looking at the video of the route and forwarding to mile 20…. Christ on a bike, I’m after scaring the crap out of myself! That hill looks long and brutal :eek: I envy the people who have been able to do their training along the route; at least they know what they’re dealing with. That’s the big disadvantage to not living close to the route.

God between nightmare hills and possible explosive diarrhoea, I’m beginning to wonder what I’ve signed myself up for :(!

ncmc wrote: »
    Was anyone listening to Roisin Ingle on Ray D’Arcy? She is walking the marathon; they were talking about Heartbreak Hill aka Roebuck Road. I made the mistake of looking at the video of the route and forwarding to mile 20…. Christ on a bike, I’m after scaring the crap out of myself! That hill looks long and brutal :eek: I envy the people who have been able to do their training along the route; at least they know what they’re dealing with. That’s the big disadvantage to not living close to the route.

God between nightmare hills and possible explosive diarrhoea, I’m beginning to wonder what I’ve signed myself up for :(!

I read somewhere on here that the first half is supposed to be harder than the second half which didn't seem that bad. But from reading about Clonskeagh and Roebuck road it sounds like the second half is harder,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

rasher_m wrote: »
    I read somewhere on here that the first half is supposed to be harder than the second half which didn't seem that bad. But from reading about Clonskeagh and Roebuck road it sounds like the second half is harder,

What I remember from that hill when I ran the DCM 3 years ago is that you don't feel it, there are so many people cheering you up that it makes you feel good. We should not be worried about this, I personally tend to slow down and rest on short and stip heal so I can push a bit more a the long and enjoyable downhill road that is coming after ;)

Advertisement