Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2012 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Went out for 4miles last night, felt okay taking it easy but my left shin was just a bit sore/tender again... then right achilles (I think) locked up & had to stretch it out... made it back but feels a little sore boths sides today. So I'm with the physio this eve to get loosened out again - he did great work on my calves last week. But I'm considering just not running any more until the Marathon and let the muscles rest/recover. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? I'll get a few cycles in instead.... or maybe just do my 8 Mile Run on Sat & rest from there? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

RayCun wrote: »
    There's a map of the finish area in your race pack that you'll get at the Expo.
    The whole area is around Merrion Square. The marathon finishes by running down Nassau Street to the square, and the finish line is about level with the start of the park railings. North side of the park is the finishing area, you get your medal, top, and bag, there's the first aid tent and massage tent.
    East side of the park has some of the bag collection and a place to take photos.
    South side has more bag collection and toilets
    Those three sides are closed to spectators, it's just runners and stewards in there.
    West side of the square (museum/gallery/govt buildings) is open to spectators, so they can see the end of the race. There's a fence (with a very narrow exit!) to go through from the runners area to the spectators.
    McGrattans is in the public area.
    Great information Raycun, thanks for that.

How crowded does the spectator area at the finish line get? How early would family need to be there to get a spot?

I think I remember reading on the Marathon website that there are allocated areas to meet people after the race, but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

ncmc wrote: »
    Great information Raycun, thanks for that.

How crowded does the spectator area at the finish line get? How early would family need to be there to get a spot?

No idea really. This crowded?
    2602939C2550410C94D23C21863887BB-0000339705-0002612229-00500L-FD173177C9AE4EA38B36C6F31BF351BB.jpg

but that's the very end, if they picked a spot further up Nassau Street it wouldn't be so busy.
    I think I remember reading on the Marathon website that there are allocated areas to meet people after the race, but I could be wrong.

The west side of the square is the meeting area. Or just tell them to find you in the pub :)

No idea really. This crowded?
    2602939C2550410C94D23C21863887BB-0000339705-0002612229-00500L-FD173177C9AE4EA38B36C6F31BF351BB.jpg

but that's the very end, if they picked a spot further up Nassau Street it wouldn't be so busy.

The west side of the square is the meeting area. Or just tell them to find you in the pub :)
    Thanks Ray, that doesn't look too bad at all. Wonder if my hubby will believe me when I tell him the official DCM meeting point is in McGrattans :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭docrock

The whole area is around Merrion Square. The marathon finishes by running down Nassau Street to the square, and the finish line is about level with the start of the park railings. North side of the park is the finishing area, you get your medal, top, and bag, there's the first aid tent and massage tent.
    East side of the park has some of the bag collection and a place to take photos.
    Those three sides are closed to spectators, it's just runners and stewards in there.
    West side of the square (museum/gallery/govt buildings) is open to spectators, so they can see the end of the race. There's a fence (with a very narrow exit!) to go through from the runners area to the spectators.

Thanks Ray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

So it was absolutely bucketing down here in Kilkenny this morning. Probably on the way to Dublin as we speak!

Which leads me to a question for the experienced marathoners out there.

If on race day conditions are bad, how much of an impact does this typically have on run performance (based on experience)?

E.g. If hypothetically one would run 3.30 on a dry day, under exact same conditions except for heavy rain, would this impact the person's time by a significant amount?

So if conditions really bad come race morning should one revise their target time upwards by a few minutes so they start out at the correct pace?

Hope this makes sense!

I'd say same time. Just make sure you've taken all your anti-chafing precautions, because wet gear will rub more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

blockic wrote: »
    So it was absolutely bucketing down here in Kilkenny this morning. Probably on the way to Dublin as we speak!

Which leads me to a question for the experienced marathoners out there.

If on race day conditions are bad, how much of an impact does this typically have on run performance (based on experience)?

E.g. If hypothetically one would run 3.30 on a dry day, under exact same conditions except for heavy rain, would this impact the person's time by a significant amount?

So if conditions really bad come race morning should one revise their target time upwards by a few minutes so they start out at the correct pace?

Hope this makes sense!

Rain shouldn't really affect your time to be honest. In fact a little drizzle could be an advantage as it will keep your body temperature down and could help you in many ways. You would definitely wear a few extra layers to the startline but you could ditch these just before the off or after a few hundred metres and your body temp should stay pretty stable...

Wind on the other hand could hurt your time a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

menoscemo wrote: »

and make it unpleasent for those just behind you........ :D

I'd say same time. Just make sure you've taken all your anti-chafing precautions, because wet gear will rub more.
    Rain shouldn't really affect your time to be honest. In fact a little drizzle could be an advantage as it will keep your body temperature down and could help you in many ways. You would definitely wear a few extra layers to the startline but you could ditch these just before the off or after a few hundred metres and your body temp should stay pretty stable...

Thanks guys, would love drizzle alright, but I was just checking if torrential rain would have much of an effect.

Definitely hoping for no wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 peggysue2

and make it unpleasent for those just behind you........ :D

Love that -made me laugh out loud at my desk !:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

weather conditions should not affect your plan for the day. This is Ireland and you will all probably have run in the heat, cold, wind and rain at some point of the training. If its very wet/cold, make sure you have some sort of old clothes (black bag is a great job here) to avoid getting too cold before the start.
    Anywhere that rubs, cream it with bodyglide or vaseline or whatever you use, lads don't forget the nipples, ladies, the bra straps.
    First aiders along the course will have vaseline if needed, don;t be afraid to stop and get more at any point.:D

This coming weekend will be your last longish run before the marathon, and the perfect time to practice your race preparations.

The night before
    Get all your gear ready in advance. Visualise what you are going to put on, in order, and get it ready. (If you're travelling to the marathon, get the bag you'll be packing too)
    Bodyglide, nipple protection, blister plasters? underwear/sports bra?, top/singlet, shorts/tights, socks, shoes, hat?, sunglasses?, gloves?. Gel belt/arm wallet/whatever you'll be carrying. Your gels, Garmin/watch, emergency money, emergency toilet paper(put it in a plastic bag).

You'll also need clothes to wear to the start line. You will probably be waiting at least 30 minutes between the bag drop and the race start, and it probably will be cold. Wear some disposable clothes, something that you can take off in the pen and throw away. (They'll all be collected and donated afterwards) Bring a bin bag in case it's raining.

Finally, your after-race gear. You'll get a plastic bag at the expo with your number on it, and in there will go your change of clothes for afterwards. Pack warm clothes, and something waterproof for an outer layer. Your body temperature will drop as soon as you stop running, and it could be raining. You'll need to put on something warm and dry as soon as possible. You could also pack wet wipes etc for a wash at the sink before the drinking begins. Don't forget a different pair of runners/somethign for your feet too
    You might want to write up a list of what you've packed so far - especially if you are going to be travelling to the marathon.

In the morning
    You should already know how you are getting to the marathon in the morning, and what time you'll have to leave. If you don't - go and check your timetables. I think it's a Sunday service for public transport- LUAS is fine, DART is useless, buses will not be frequent. Don't drive into town unless you have someone else to drive you home. You might have been able to drive after your long runs, but your legs will be more tired after the marathon and there's always fear/likelyhood of cramp, not good while driving!!:eek:

When you know what time you have to leave the house, you know when you have to get up. Have the breakfast you plan to eat on the day. (Again, if you are travelling you may have to bring this with you) Go to the toilet, and get rid of any excess weight Put on your running gear. Have another look at your pre-race clothes to see if you've got everything.
    Around 9 am(marathon start time) go for your run. Carry all the gels etc you're planning to bring on race day, so you can see if they're comfortable and secure. Don't run at race pace, just normal LSR pace, but try to pick up on any spots of discomfort caused by your clothes and gear, anything that you need to change for next week. Then, when you get home, have another look at your post-race stuff to see if it still has everything you need.

And don't forget, we're nearly there!!:D
    Keep the positive thoughts going. You can do this!!!!

Next week i'll go through what you do when you are finished the marathon, from crossing the line to the following days, so don't be worrying about that for now!!

Younganne wrote: »
    there's always fear/likelyhood of crap, not good while driving!!:eek:

almost as bad, and perhaps more likely - cramp
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Younganne wrote: »
    You might have been able to drive after your long runs, but your legs will be more tired after the marathon and there's always fear/likelyhood of crap, not good while driving!!:eek:

It's actually more likely to happen while running than while driving :pac:

poop-marathon-runner.jpg

almost as bad, and perhaps more likely - cramp
    :D

poop-marathon-runner.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:
    ha ha you're both very quick!!! shows you are reading the advise;), any of it look familiar!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Back at phsyio.

Calf problem on other leg was due to over compensating for the injury on the first leg. :rolleyes: "Like a rope" was the medical expression :pac: and so began a rope flogging that I could have cried from.

I'm now sporting rather nifty go faster stripes on both legs but we're still giving it a lash on the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Back at phsyio.

Calf problem on other leg was due to over compensating for the injury on the first leg. :rolleyes: "Like a rope" was the medical expression :pac: and so began a rope flogging that I could have cried from.

I'm now sporting rather nifty go faster stripes on both legs but we're still giving it a lash on the day. :)

You should consider writing a book 'trials and tribulations of a marathon newbie' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Hi everyone. Finally throwing my hat into the ring here on this thread. Starting reading the posts here a few weeks ago and think I've finally read them all.
    This is my first marathon so pretty nervous. I'm hoping the exitement will kick in soon, maybe tomorrow after my last long run.
    Good luck to everyone.

poop-marathon-runner.jpg
    Oh. My. God!!! :eek::eek::eek: As if we didn't have enough to worry about with illness, injury, tired legs and taper madness, now we have to worry about this happening :( I think i'm going to start taking Immodium now just to be safe :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thats really handy info Ray, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

blockic wrote: »
    Doesnt bother me what pace I do this weekend, sure the hard work is done!:)
    It would be good if we could get a few together. Anyone else interested?

I could meet in the park on Saturday morning. Like FiiFii, I'm in the 11-12 min mile range! But would be nice to know a few more faces, & get one last dress rehearsal (see how long my standard breakfast lasts :eek: & practicing running with a gel belt with more than 1 or 2 gels!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Trampas

Also don't leave it till the last minute putting on your number. Put it on your running top the day you get it. One less thing to worry about on the day
    Oh. My. God!!! :eek::eek::eek: As if we didn't have enough to worry about with illness, injury, tired legs and taper madness, now we have to worry about this happening :( I think i'm going to start taking Immodium now just to be safe :o

or

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiGdcwa8hrAQTjtORi3ryPgmizytfVFJa5vSPVDMqWewedHcbXVg

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

How's everyone's diet going? My main meals are healthy enough but I still can't resist the sweet stuff, I've no willpower! Also are bagels as a snack a good alternative or bad? I know their good for carbs but are they needed during taper? I've the taste for them now 

rasher_m wrote: »
    Yeah, I would be up for that as well.
    What pace are ya going at?
    FiiFii wrote: »
    I'm thinking of heading over - Reckon my LSR pace is your crawl pace though Blockic ;) Be doing 11-12 min miles if anyone similar or you faster runners fancy company while warming up for your first mile or two..
    I could meet in the park on Saturday morning. Like FiiFii, I'm in the 11-12 min mile range! But would be nice to know a few more faces, & get one last dress rehearsal (see how long my standard breakfast lasts :eek: & practicing running with a gel belt with more than 1 or 2 gels!)

Ok, so we have a few and the more the merrier! Will I put it over on the group sessions thread to see if others are interested there?

What time we thinking?

What pace are you looking at rasher? I can go with the gang..only looking for an easy session anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

DOCO12 wrote: »
    How's everyone's diet going? My main meals are healthy enough but I still can't resist the sweet stuff, I've no willpower! Also are bagels as a snack a good alternative or bad? I know their good for carbs but are they needed during taper? I've the taste for them now 

I'm glad to read this. I've been so careful to eat a healthy diet - until now - all of a sudden I just want to eat all the crap of the day - biscuits, desserts, ice-cream - all the stuff I've been avoiding for ages and now finding impossible to resist :eek: Taper madness or just complete lack of willpower??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Mr Slow wrote: »
    The work is done and you're all set, as far as I know nobody who reached the startline in the last two years from the Novice thread failed to finish.

You've all done fantastic training and it's been very enjoyable to watch you all go from lamenting having to face a 10 miler to calling it an MSR. ;) I was to be pacing 4 hours and was looking forward to meeting a few of ye but alas I won't make the startline on this occasion.

The after race session is in McGrattans, there's seating, hot food and it's the closest pub to the finish. See ya'll there and best of luck.
    Such a pity you can't pace DCM Mr.Slow. Hopefully you'll be back next year fitter than ever! Thanks for your all your encouragement and advice... especially on the many and varied uses of the wonder that is The Stick :D

Jeez....i did not need to see that....especially when I was having my dinner :(

but thanks for sharing!!!

Sara2002 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Finally throwing my hat into the ring here on this thread. Starting reading the posts here a few weeks ago and think I've finally read them all.
    This is my first marathon so pretty nervous. I'm hoping the exitement will kick in soon, maybe tomorrow after my last long run.
    Good luck to everyone.
    Hi Sara. Good luck to you too. Definitely no problems with your endurance anyway if you got through the whole thread.....even if it did take several weeks :D:D

• Advertisement

Runchick wrote: »
    I'm glad to read this. I've been so careful to eat a healthy diet - until now - all of a sudden I just want to eat all the crap of the day - biscuits, desserts, ice-cream - all the stuff I've been avoiding for ages and now finding impossible to resist :eek: Taper madness or just complete lack of willpower??
    Have just polished off a bar and a half of dairy milk :o

Advertisement