Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you consider to be Irish ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

OP, I'm afraid you'll never be fully Irish, much as I would accept you as such with no problem.

It's because the majority of the "Irish" would look at your skin colour and automatically class you as an Immigrant.

On the other hand, I'm a white Anglo Saxon and very often I've been asked "why did you decide to Come Home?"

The Big R...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

corktina wrote: »
    OP, I'm afraid you'll never be fully Irish, much as I would accept you as such with no problem.

It's because the majority of the "Irish" would look at your skin colour and automatically class you as an Immigrant.

On the other hand, I'm a white Anglo Saxon and very often I've been asked "why did you decide to Come Home?"

The Big R...

Join the club! When I worked in England I was always referred to as a Paddy but here I'm still asked if I'm enjoying my holiday. I was happiest on the Isle of Man. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brissygirl32

Were you are born is your nationality, were your parents are from is your ethnicity - simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

anishboi wrote: »
    As someone mentioned before, this is an island, and was therefore uninhabited up until 10k years ago.

Interesting point here.

Ten thousand years ago the place we now call Ireland was not an island, but the western edge of the Pan-European continent.

Only after the melting of the ice did these islands assume their present isolated shape, after a general sea-level rise of around 30m or more. This is generally agreed to have taken place around 8000 years ago.

My question, therefore, is this -

Given the reported time-scale of habitation of Ireland, was this part of Europe populated before or after the island making process?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As someone mentioned before, this is an island, and was therefore uninhabited up until 10k years ago.

Interesting point here.

Ten thousand years ago the place we now call Ireland was not an island, but the western edge of the Pan-European continent.

Only after the melting of the ice did these islands assume their present isolated shape, after a general sea-level rise of around 30m or more. This is generally agreed to have taken place around 8000 years ago.

My question, therefore, is this -

Given the reported time-scale of habitation of Ireland, was this part of Europe populated before or after the island making process?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Were you are born is your nationality, were your parents are from is your ethnicity - simples!

Or is it? what if you were born in and raised in Wales but of Irish parents who were themselves born in Ireland, but whose forefathers landed in Ireland 'for example' with the plantations of the 1600s? Same applies to all incomers in history, from the Normans (Fitzpatricks etc etc) onwards to the present day.

Back to the Welsh fella, so does that make him ethnically Irish, or . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Op you are Irish, my own family have Indian,German,and British branches(through intermarriage) but we mostly consider ourselves Irish(my Indian brother in law holds his Indian passport very dearly and I respect him for that)he has turned down the right to an Irish passport but his children do hold Irish passports.Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

LordSutch wrote: »
    Or is it? what if you were born in and raised in Wales but of Irish parents who were themselves born in Ireland, but whose forefathers landed in Ireland 'for example' with the plantations of the 1600s? Same applies to all incomers in history, from the Normans (Fitzpatricks etc etc) onwards to the present day.

What's on his birth cert?

British passport, which of course makes him British according to his passport.

But ethnically, what is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

British passport, which of course makes him British according to his passport.

But ethnically, what is he?

What's ethnicity got to do with it? A traveller is not ethnically the same as a settled person, but both could be Irish (or other)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

Maudi wrote: »
    silly .of course your not irish..your indian just like your folks...if my missus went to india to work or whatever and had my child..would it be indian?no.it would just happen to have been irish child born in india...embrace your indian culture enjoy it ..they are wonderful race..as we are..

Why and how can I embrace my so-called 'Indian' culture if I've been immersed fully in Irish culture since the day I was born ?

How can I know anything about my ancestral culture if I've never spent a day living in it ?

I know it's one of the best races in the world, and I'm very proud of my ancestry, it forms my characteristics and makes me different from people like you.

But from the day I was born I've never known any other culture apart from the Irish one.

A few people (Pessimist, rees) have asked about unexpectedly giving birth to a baby in a foreign country, is he/she Irish or not ? Let me clarify this.

Well, my friends, that is an entirely different situation to mine.

I have friends like these. The baby is born in France / Spain / Ethiopia whatever, and then brought back to Ireland and raised in Irish culture all of his/her life. So they are Irish.

However, if one has an unexpected baby in a foreign country and decides then to settle in that country, and raise them in that country, send them to school there, make them learn the local language, mix with people from that country, talk in the accent etc., then that baby is, without a doubt, French / Spanish / Ethiopian.

Therefore I would call Mars Bar Irish, as well as myself.

I think you're starting to get my drift.

And by the way, to Maudi, there is a strict proper grammar rule on this forum, so be careful dude.

To gbee, I'm not sure if you're right there. I think most people would accept the Iniand (not Asians) as America's first inhabitants.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

It is very obvious you are Irish, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

To IrishAm, what actual difference does it make if 90 percent of Irish people have ancestors from the first settlement in Ireland? If you're going to count that far back you'll have to consider that those ancestors arrived here from elsewhere. As well as that, that would mean this 90 percent had several other ancestors who weren't original settlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

.. from the Normans (Fitzpatricks etc etc) onwards to the present day.

Fitzpatrick believe it or not is a native Irish name masquerading as Norman. They were the kings of the Kingdom of Osraighe (Ossory -- Kilkenny + south-western part of Laois). They obviously lost most of their territoritry, but retained "Upper Ossory" to which they were made Barons through "Surrender and Regrant" during the reign of Henry VIII. They were as you expect mortal enemies of the Butlers of Kilkenny (who controlled bulk of their former territory). So much so that when "Queen's County" (Laois) was shired they managed to get their territory incorporated so as to not come under Butler dominance (of the Palatine County of Kilkenny)

Here's an extract from Woulfe's 1923 book.
    Mac GIOLLA PHÁDRAIG—IV—M'Gillephadrick, M'Gillapatrick, M'Kilpatrick, MacGilpatrick, MacIlpatrick, MacIlfatrick, MacElfatrick, MacIlfederick, MacElfedrick, Gilpatrick, Kilpatrick, Kirkpatrick, Fitzpatrick; 'son of Giolla Phádraig' (servant of St. Patrick). The principal family of this name are the MacGillapatricks, or Fitzpatricks, of Ossory, who took their name from Giolla Phádraig, son of Donnchadh, lord of Ossory, in the 10th century. In early times they ruled over the entire of Co. Kilkenny and part of the present Leix, but after the Anglo-Norman invasion they were greatly encroached upon by the Butlers and other English settlers in Kilkenny, and their patrimony was limited to the barony of Upper Ossory. Branches of the family settled in Clare, Cavan, Leitrim, and other parts of Ireland. In 1541, Brian Mac Giolla Patrick was created Baron of Upper Ossory. There appears to have been also a Scottish family of this name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

How do you define originally? How do you apply this to deciding if someone is irish or not?

I define originally by the term indigenous. Which basically means, first people. Or, to simplify, first inhabitants.

Men with Gaelic surnames coming from the west of Ireland are descendants of the oldest inhabitants of Europe. In a recent study, scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, created a new genetic map of the people of Ireland. By comparing this map to European genetic maps they have shown that the Irish are one of the last remnants of the pre-Neolithic hunters and gatherers who were living throughout Europe over 10,000 years ago, before the invention of agriculture. The Irish really ARE different.

http://www.insideireland.com/sample19.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

IMO op is Irish.

mitosis wrote: »
    What's ethnicity got to do with it?

The ethnicity issue arose from post#65, hence my reply to her . . .

Interesting about the Fitzpatricks though, I always thought the Normans brought over many names with them when they arrived, Fitzpatrick being one of the biggest of them, (but that's obviously not true according to this thread), which leads me to ask "So what names did arrive with the Normans"? Then there's the subsequent plantations which presumably left a hefty number of Anglo surnames behind. I read that my own surname arrived in the mid 1600s with the plantations, my wife's too, and I presume this also applies to many other Irish surnames which arrived a few hundred years ago from the island next door . . .

Its an interesting topic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You're Indian-Irish OP, in the same way as for example black people in the USA would call themselves African-American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

You're Indian-Irish OP, in the same way as for example black people in the USA would call themselves African-American.

I see it took 80 odd posts to get at the right answer.
    Well done, Galwayguy.
    There are, of course, more than one definitions of Irishness - legal, ethnic, cultural, and subdivisions thereof.
    Anyone with a passport has a legal claim to be Irish.
    Others may prefer to define Irishness ethnically or culturally. That's valid too, and has no impact on the legality issue.
    Legally, the OP is Irish. Ethnically, he's not. Culturally, by the sounds of it, he seems to be as affiliated and engaged in Irish culture as anyone else. For me, given the clash between the legal and the ethnic answer, I'd go with the hybrid solution: OP is Indian-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

African American is just a polite way of saying black or indeed a socio economic description,they're no more African than I am.Asian immigrants do tend to hang onto to thier traditions for longer I think,so ethenicity may be more relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

IrishAm wrote: »
    I define originally by the term indigenous. Which basically means, first people. Or, to simplify, first inhabitants.

Men with Gaelic surnames coming from the west of Ireland are descendants of the oldest inhabitants of Europe. In a recent study, scientists at Trinity College, Dublin, created a new genetic map of the people of Ireland. By comparing this map to European genetic maps they have shown that the Irish are one of the last remnants of the pre-Neolithic hunters and gatherers who were living throughout Europe over 10,000 years ago, before the invention of agriculture. The Irish really ARE different.

http://www.insideireland.com/sample19.htm

Distribution_Haplogroup_R1b_Y-DNA.svg

Different just like large portions of Britain, France and Northern Spain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

tac foley wrote: »
    Given the reported time-scale of habitation of Ireland, was this part of Europe populated before or after the island making process? tac

The original Irish were seemingly here and somewhat ended up stranded on the island. Even as a land bridge existed what became Ireland seems to have been isolated further ~ the majority of its flora and fauna having been imported.

The ice retreated annually exposing coastal regions and in fact it is thought that the very southern coasts of Kerry, Cork and Waterford may in fact have never been ice covered.

History says that the Picts were the next group of inhabitants, of whom we were now distant cousins and we shared a similar language, the original Irish. We have sadly died out almost without a trace having been absorbed in the Pict group.

They in turn were eliminated by a race of the Celts through war, conflict and absorption, we wrongly attribute them with our language [indeed the Celts actively destroyed any of the native languages that were residual] ~ at some time the ICE returns and the Island is again a difficult destination from Europe and a period of both isolation and trading with Morocco gives the Island it's unique language base, customs, music, art and dress that appears as the ice again retreats and modern Irish history begins.

Interesting about the Fitzpatricks though, I always thought the Normans brought over many names with them when they arrived, Fitzpatrick being one of the biggest of them, (but that's obviously not true according to this thread), which leads me to ask "So what names did arrive with the Normans"? Then there's the subsequent plantations which presumably left a hefty number of Anglo surnames behind. I read that my own surname arrived in the mid 1600s with the plantations, my wife's too, and I presume this also applies to many other Irish surnames which arrived a few hundred years ago from the island next door . . .

If you look at the top 50 most common Irish surnames, the following are definitely Cambro-Norman (cambro= welsh)
    4. Walsh/Welsh = Breathnach -- literally "welshman"
    29. Burke
    36. Fitzgearld

The following are ambiguous, could be either "Gaelic Irish" or later.
    5. Smith -- Mac Gabhainn = McGowan -- direct translation, as well as of later english source -- heavy concentration in historic Mac Gabhainn area of Cavan/Monaghan
    17. Lynch -- can be either Gaelic or Norman
    26. Wilson
    31. Campbell -- Scottish
    37. Brown -- Norman but also direct translation from irish
    50. White -- as above

The thing that is generally forgotten is that the Normans who arrived in the late 12th century/early 13th century were generally "Cambro-Normans" eg they were mixed Norman welsh. They brought with them a large number of Welsh troops in the form of Longbowmen and "Men at arms". This is one of main reasons why Walsh (= Welshman) is in the top 4 surnames in Ireland. It's distrubition is heavily concentrated in the South-East and in Connacht.

Walsh.png
    Most of the Norman lords in this period ended up marrying Irish women. Within 2 generations nearly all of major lords either had irish wives or Irish mothers. The result is a massive gaelication that occurred.

Great post on the whole topic here from Bannasidhe
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Don't assume an Irish name means Catholic - many Irish 'converted' when they submitted- the best example being the O'Briens earls of Thomond who were Anglican and one can't get more Irish then the descendants of Boru!

Race is often brought into this when, in fact, the concept of 'race' as we know it was only beginning to develop and didn't really start to be a major issue until much later. The main issues of contention then were religion and culture. In Ireland under the Tudors Culture was the main thing with far more emphasis being placed on the annihilation of Gaelic culture then on religious conversion.

It might be worth discussing the Gaelic Irish conception of 'race' here. To them there were two types of people - An Gael (the 'Irish') and An Gáll (everyone else!). The Scots confused the issue a bit as they were also 'Gaelic' but when living in Ireland were usually referred to as Gálloglaigh (gallowglass - foreign warrior).
    When the Gaelic Irish referred to their 'race' they meant their specific Clan and their 'country' was their clan lands. Although they may collectively occasionally refer to themselves as 'Irish' - this was more akin to us calling ourselves 'European' than an assumption of a national identity.

A person's 'race' was defined by their surname - descent was patrilinier [i.e through the male line].

To illustrate by way of example:
    Gráinne Ní Mháille (Lit - Gráinne daughter of [distant male ancestor] Máille) was An Gael. Her 'country' was Umhall Uí Máille - now Murrisk in Mayo.
    Her first husband was Domhnaill Na Chogaidh Ua Flaithbhertaigh (Domhnaill son of [distant male ancestor] Flaithbhertaigh of Iar Chonnacht. Also An Gael.

They had a daughter Máireadh Ni Fhlaithbhertaigh - she was An Gael. She married Risteard Mac Deamon an Chorrán á Búrc of Erris[ descendent of William Concur de Burgh via Eamonn Albanach á Búrc and Sabh Ní Mháille who founded the Mayo Bourkes) - An Gáll as his patrilinier line of descent was not Gaelic. Culturally he was completely Gaelic and fought against Anglicisation his entire life. Máireadh and Mac Deamon had a son - Daithi á Búrc = An Gáll.

Gráinne and Domhnaill's son Muirtaigh Na Moar Ua Flaithbhertaigh - An Gael - married Cáitriona á Búrc -[ also descended from William Concur de Burgh but of the Galway branch) An Gáll. Their children were all 'An Gael'.

When Domhnaill died, Gráinne returned to Umhall Uí Máille - i.e. her 'race' and her 'country' as her husband's death had ended the marriage alliance and as a 'foreigner' she had no business being in Iar Chonnacht. Her 3 children from the marriage stayed as they were of the 'race' of Flaithbhertaigh.

Gráinne later married Risteard In Iarainn á Búrc of Burrishoole (Mayo Bourkes]- (Risteard In Iarainn was the nephew of Gráinne's first husband via the marriage of Daithi á Búrc to Fionnghula Ní Fhlaithbhertaigh) he was An Gáll. They had one son - Tibboid na Long á Búrc - Yup, he was An Gáll. He married Meabh Ni Chonchobhair Sligigh - guess what she was...yes..An Gael! but their children bore the surname á Búrc making them all An Gáll.

The Uí Chonchobhair Sligigh was loyal to the crown of England but Sliocht Ullig - one of the 4 main septs of the Mayo Bourkes (collectively known as the Mac Uilliam Íochtair) [Sliocht Ullig's 'country' was Burrishoole, Erris and Achill] of whom Gáinne's second husband, youngest son and son-in-law were all members (and at some point all sept leaders and holders of the banned title of Mac Uilliam Íochtair) engaged in a 30 year war to try and prevent Anglicisation. Richard Bingham particularly targeted them for harsh reprisals - including the hanging of 3 children under 5 in 1586.
    So the main opposition to the Tudors in North Connacht was conducted by people who called themselves 'English' but refused to give up Gaelic Culture while among those aiding the Crown were the (Anglican) O'Briens of Thomond - descendants of Ború and Uí Chonchobhair Sligigh - descendent of the O'Connor kings of Connacht and (occasional) high kings of Ireland. All of them 'Irish' to the core.

When we say Irish fought English - who exactly were the 'Irish' and who were the 'English'? Perhaps this blurring of the racial boundaries is why the powerful, rebellious and utterly committed to Gaelic culture Mac Uilliam Íochtair á Búrcs of Mayo are nearly invisible in Irish historiography - even though they fought longer and harder than anyone else against the Tudors and were the reason Connacht remained the most 'Irish' of the provinces...but they called themselves 'English'....

It's a funny old world when ya have a poke at it!

Sindri wrote: »

Different just like large portions of Britain, France and Northern Spain?

The problem with that map is it's specifically of European R1b distrubition among men, this is way up the tree. In context of western Europe nearly all the R1b belongs to R1b-M269 (R1b1a2) -- on order of 110million men.

70% of Irishmen belong to a further branch of this marked by the SNP L21 (S145) -- R1b1a2a1a1b3. Here are two maps that show distrubition of this. All L21+ men are descended from one man who probably lived during the Bronze age on the continent.

Haplogroup-R1b-L21.gif
    L21-S145-poE-CT.png

The heaviest concentrations of L21 are in areas that were Celtic speaking sometime in the last 2,500-3,000 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

There are plenty of other Fitz names such as Fitzgerald, Fitzsimons etc. A lot of Norman names would now be regarded as Irish names such as Dillon, Power, Tuite, Dalton, Barry, Burke to mention a few, not forgetting our old friend Richard De Clare aka Strongbow. Add to that list common English, Welsh and Scottish surnames, gives an idea how much to-ing and fro-ing took place between here and Britain. Like yourself I have a mid 1600's English surname tucked away on the maternal side - not the only one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

kneemos wrote: »
    An A2 In leaving cert Irish is the only qualification you need to be Irish op.

Hang on a second. Was it Honours or Pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

A few people (Pessimist, rees) have asked about unexpectedly giving birth to a baby in a foreign country, is he/she Irish or not ? Let me clarify this.

Well, my friends, that is an entirely different situation to mine.

I have friends like these. The baby is born in France / Spain / Ethiopia whatever, and then brought back to Ireland and raised in Irish culture all of his/her life. So they are Irish.

However, if one has an unexpected baby in a foreign country and decides then to settle in that country, and raise them in that country, send them to school there, make them learn the local language, mix with people from that country, talk in the accent etc., then that baby is, without a doubt, French / Spanish / Ethiopian.

Therefore I would call Mars Bar Irish, as well as myself.

I think you're starting to get my drift.

And by the way, to Maudi, there is a strict proper grammar rule on this forum, so be careful dude.
    now you'r just being down right rude son..im not aware of any grammar rule in the forum..and im too long in the tooth to be honest...ifeel its just an aggressive cheap shot on your part..i get an angry vibe in a lot of your posts..probably from unresolved identity issues..relax son..you are in ireland..im out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

slowburner wrote: »
    I miss Marchdub.

Yes - didn't always agree with him - but he was usually right!

Advertisement