Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How To Stop People From Sitting In My Bus Seat!?!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Just out of curiosity about the situation elsewhere, I phoned a friend who is a lawyer with Helsingin seudun liikenne -kuntayhtymä (the Helsinki Region Transport Joint Authority) to see whether anyone could buy and use two seats in a full bus there, even if someone else had to stand.

She told me that there was no way it was possible, unless a passenger's physical condition required such an arrangement, preferably agreed on in advance, in which case the person needing two seats would get them, but would only pay one fare.

A ticket entitles the person presenting it to a seat, if one is available, but the other ticket would be deemed to apply to another person, who was not present to take the seat.

A further aspect that she mentioned was that public transport is subsidised (heavily in Finland) and in many other countries, and that allowing one person to occupy two seats would be an unacceptable abuse of the subsidy system and a violation of the principle of equality that is enshrined in the Constitution of Finland.

I assume Dublin Bus services are likewise subsidised.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Remmy wrote: »
    Fairly sure it was meant as another way of saying scumbag

Great.
    Let's bash 'scumbags' now,
    Is there no end to this sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

UCDVet wrote: »

Seriously though - if I can purchase one ticket that gives me a right to a single available seat; I don't understand why two tickets wouldn't give me a right to two available seats.QUOTE]

Really!!! Got news for You bud - buying a ticket does NOT guarantee You ONE seat. Please get the idea out of your head, because you buy a ticket, you are entitled to a seat.

IMHO, You really adopt a very selfish attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

9959 wrote: »
    Great.
    Let's bash 'scumbags' now,
    Is there no end to this sh1t?

kindly return back under your bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I assume 'big guy' means hideously obese dough boy?

• Advertisement

I think we are ALL at fault here for letting a big fat guy ( his words not mine) put such a rediculous post up and WE make the thread 11 pages long.

The joke's on us:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Le_Dieux wrote: »

Seriously though - if I can purchase one ticket that gives me a right to a single available seat; I don't understand why two tickets wouldn't give me a right to two available seats.QUOTE]

Really!!! Got news for You bud - buying a ticket does NOT guarantee You ONE seat. Please get the idea out of your head, because you buy a ticket, you are entitled to a seat.

IMHO, You really adopt a very selfish attitude.

I didn't say that. Where did you read that?

I said: 'if I can purchase one ticket that gives me a right to a single available seat'

As in, if I get on the bus and pay the driver *AND* there is an available seat, I have a right to sit in it. As much as anyone else who paid (ignoring old/handicapped people who, arguably, have more right to sit in it).

I am not guaranteed a seat. But if there is one available, I can sit in it. Because I've purchased a ticket.

Now, if there are two seats available and I'd paid for two tickets and my ass takes up 1.5 seats - why wouldn't I take two seats?

anncoates wrote: »
    I assume 'big guy' means hideously obese dough boy?

Going by BMI, I'm overweight. I'm certainly not 'fit'. I'm also 190cm.

The bus was certainly not built with people my size in mind. Which is why two tickets/two seats seems to make so much sense; minus people's moral objection.

I wonder if the same people calling me selfish for buying two seats would also complain about being stuck sitting next to the 'fat guy' on the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MinnieM67

Im loving this thread. Funny, funny, funny! Some seriously intolerant people out there though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

For me, the silliness is You using UCDVet and then claiming You do not go to UCD, nor are You a Vet, and posting such a rediculous original post & thus believing You have a right to 2 seats.

Do you really go to Le or are you a Dieux?

My name originated in jest at people's willingness to believe any claim presented on the internet. In this particular case, I didn't claim to be either of those things, I simply used them in my Display Name or whatever it's called.

Op you say your NOT from UCD, your NOT a vet student and your implying it's us posters are at fault for assuming that you are these things because we're willing to believe what's implied by your user name............grow up for fcuk sake. It's not just your user name that implies your a vet student from UCD, you said in your original post that you use a student rambler ticket, that you use your travel time for extra study and mentioned something about doing study on your laptop, all this along with your user name kinda points towards a vet student. It's been said a couple of posts ago, I can't believe 14 odd pages have gone into this thread, but in tiny chance that your serious ill just point out that if you are that fat and are already sitting in the isle seat, well it's only going to be someone witj anorexia who'll be able to fit in beside you

• Advertisement

I didn't say that. Where did you read that?

I said: 'if I can purchase one ticket that gives me a right to a single available seat'

As in, if I get on the bus and pay the driver *AND* there is an available seat, I have a right to sit in it. As much as anyone else who paid (ignoring old/handicapped people who, arguably, have more right to sit in it).

I am not guaranteed a seat. But if there is one available, I can sit in it. Because I've purchased a ticket.

Now, if there are two seats available and I'd paid for two tickets and my ass takes up 1.5 seats - why wouldn't I take two seats?

My apologies, You are right, You did use the word AVAILABLE.

BUT, then what the hell is the point of your thread? You have used one available seat, You are 'armed' with 2 tickets, why can't someone ELSE who has paid ask You to remove Your belongings so they can sit down? I wonder what your attitude is in the situation where there are 2 seats available, but on opposite ends of the bus?

For me, You come across as a selfish brat - sorry to have to be so blunt. Oh, and as I said already, I am an ashshole to have contributed to to a thread of this nature in making it 11 pages long.

This is my last post on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Remmy wrote: »
    kindly return back under your bridge.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I always like to put chewing gum right on the front of the seat, out of sight,
    so it sticks to the back of peoples legs - Zing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

@UCDVet: good joke. For the serious minded, a bus ticket allows one to travel on the bus when there is space under Bus Co rules (and probably Health and Safety law/s). Bus Co rules include standing passenger spaces, ergo:having a ticket does not automatically mean one is entitled to a seat (or seats).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I always like to put chewing gum right on the front of the seat, out of sight,
    so it sticks to the back of peoples legs - Zing!

So, IT'S YOU.............:mad:

doyle61 wrote: »

Do you really go to Le or are you a Dieux?

My name originated in jest at people's willingness to believe any claim presented on the internet. In this particular case, I didn't claim to be either of those things, I simply used them in my Display Name or whatever it's called.

Op you say your NOT from UCD, your NOT a vet student and your implying it's us posters are at fault for assuming that you are these things because we're willing to believe what's implied by your user name............grow up for fcuk sake. It's not just your user name that implies your a vet student from UCD, you said in your original post that you use a student rambler ticket, that you use your travel time for extra study and mentioned something about doing study on your laptop, all this along with your user name kinda points towards a vet student. It's been said a couple of posts ago, I can't believe 14 odd pages have gone into this thread, but in tiny chance that your serious ill just point out that if you are that fat and are already sitting in the isle seat, well it's only going to be someone witj anorexia who'll be able to fit in beside you

I wouldn't fault anyone for assuming I was a Vet student at UCD. I was just clarifying that I wasn't - for the sake of correctness.

My apologies, You are right, You did use the word AVAILABLE.

BUT, then what the hell is the point of your thread? You have used one available seat, You are 'armed' with 2 tickets, why can't someone ELSE who has paid ask You to remove Your belongings so they can sit down? I wonder what your attitude is in the situation where there are 2 seats available, but on opposite ends of the bus?

For me, You come across as a selfish brat - sorry to have to be so blunt. Oh, and as I said already, I am an ashshole to have contributed to to a thread of this nature in making it 11 pages long.

This is my last post on this thread.

I get on the bus pretty early on it's way into city centre - so it's always empty. If it were full - I'd only scan one bus pass and assume I wouldn't be able to get two seats.

Since I get on early, and the bus is mostly empty - it's very easy for me to find two consecutive seats that are available. So, when the bus looks mostly empty, I scan both bus passes. Both are rambler passes, so I'm paying the cost of two seats, with the intent to occupy two seats if they are available.

I'm not sure why you feel this is selfish? I'd like to pay more so I can have more. Perhaps that is selfish, but don't we all do it? If I go to SuperMacs and pay for a burger *and* fries - is that selfish because some homeless guy begging for change outside has neither? Should I limit myself to only buying a burger and no fries?

Would it also be selfish for me to rent two adjacent apartments and pay the rent for both so that I can enjoy more space?

Would it also be selfish for me to work two jobs so that I can afford a better lifestyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

So I have two of the student rambler passes. Since the bus I take each day is normally crowded and I like to read and do school work on the bus - I bought two passes. When I get on the bus, I scan them both, naturally.

Then, I sit down and take up two seats.

Seems reasonable.

But once the bus becomes full (which it inevitably does) people will ask me to move my stuff so they can sit down. It's as if they don't realize I've paid for two seats! Some have even tried to actually move my stuff themselves, while others have insisted 'Ye can't do that!'

How do you guys keep people from sitting in your seat?

Sheldon - is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Would it also be selfish for me to rent two adjacent apartments and pay the rent for both so that I can enjoy more space?
    Yes, if those apartments were heavily subsidised by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sheldon - is that you?

I believe that the non-optional social convention is to give up one of your seats OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Choose another seat maybe? :rolleyes:

I get on the bus pretty early on it's way into city centre - so it's always empty. If it were full - I'd only scan one bus pass and assume I wouldn't be able to get two seats.

Since I get on early, and the bus is mostly empty - it's very easy for me to find two consecutive seats that are available. So, when the bus looks mostly empty, I scan both bus passes. Both are rambler passes, so I'm paying the cost of two seats, with the intent to occupy two seats if they are available.

I'm not sure why you feel this is selfish? I'd like to pay more so I can have more. Perhaps that is selfish, but don't we all do it? If I go to SuperMacs and pay for a burger *and* fries - is that selfish because some homeless guy begging for change outside has neither? Should I limit myself to only buying a burger and no fries?

Would it also be selfish for me to work two jobs so that I can afford a better lifestyle?

You just proved how you are wrong in your thinking, it known as public transport for a reason, if it was private you would have a point, but it is public, hence why you can't book a seat on it, let a lone two, cause as they are public everyone has a right to them, see what I'm saying everyone has a right to a seat, if you put your laptop down on an extra seat on public transport, I will seat on it, and break it, why because it is a public seat. If you don't like it go private transport (like a taxi)

Glad I could help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Hey OP, how about instead of wasting money on a 2nd bus pass, spend it on a gym membership and lose some weight you miserable fatty

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yes, if those apartments were heavily subsidised by the state.

So, it's not a moral objection to having two seats that bothers you - it's that I'm taking advantage of a subsidized service in a way you think is inappropriate?

What if I were....

1.) Paying sufficiently high taxes (IE - assume I'm in the maximum tax bracket)

or

2.) Purchased enough tickets to cover the actual cost of two seats. Let's say I buy four tickets but take two seats, such that I cover the actual cost

In either of those cases, where the Dublin Bus system is getting more from me than the actual cost - would you then be okay with someone purchasing/occupying two seats?

I feel like a lot of people are misunderstanding me. Let me try to prove my point in a way that is more clear.

I'm a big guy who spends a lot of time on the bus. I don't easily fit into one seat and I'd like extra space to read papers, study, type on my laptop.

If I were to hire a small child to ride the bus with me; we'd both get on, we'd both swipe our rambler pass, and we'd both sit down next to each other. Since I get on the bus at an early stop on it's way to city centre, the bus is mostly empty....but it will quickly be full.

The small child is small and takes up only a small amount of space. I've paid for both tickets, the child and I occupy two seats, and I'm comfortable and able to study.

Why is *that* okay, where it is not okay for me to simply purchase two seats? The bus company earns the same revenue. I pay the same for the tickets. The only difference is that in one case I have to carry a small child with me....and in the other I don't.

I'm not saying other people should give up their seats or that I should always get a seat, or that I should get two for the price of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

So, it's not a moral objection to having two seats that bothers you - it's that I'm taking advantage of a subsidized service in a way you think is inappropriate?

What if I were....

1.) Paying sufficiently high taxes (IE - assume I'm in the maximum tax bracket)

or

2.) Purchased enough tickets to cover the actual cost of two seats. Let's say I buy four tickets but take two seats, such that I cover the actual cost

In either of those cases, where the Dublin Bus system is getting more from me than the actual cost - would you then be okay with someone purchasing/occupying two seats?

i think its fair to say that when you buy a bus ticket, you arent reserving yourself a seat, but a place. many people stand for the duration of their trip, and who are you to force hem to stand just so you can put a book on an empty seat.

ffs, put the LAPtop on your LAP, and your bag between your legs, and save yourself a fortune by buying one ticket like a normal human being.

I feel like a lot of people are misunderstanding me. Let me try to prove my point in a way that is more clear.

I'm a big guy who spends a lot of time on the bus. I don't easily fit into one seat and I'd like extra space to read papers, study, type on my laptop.

If I were to hire a small child to ride the bus with me; we'd both get on, we'd both swipe our rambler pass, and we'd both sit down next to each other. Since I get on the bus at an early stop on it's way to city centre, the bus is mostly empty....but it will quickly be full.

The small child is small and takes up only a small amount of space. I've paid for both tickets, the child and I occupy two seats, and I'm comfortable and able to study.

Why is *that* okay, where it is not okay for me to simply purchase two seats? The bus company earns the same revenue. I pay the same for the tickets. The only difference is that in one case I have to carry a small child with me....and in the other I don't.

I'm not saying other people should give up their seats or that I should always get a seat, or that I should get two for the price of one.

Why would you make that small child stand up, so you can get to grips with your course work, get a grip will you please. :confused:

Also it's not a private service, it is public, deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gaziah

Tell them your imaginary friend Bill is sitting there and open your eyes wide" Jim Carrey "style. That should keep them away

geetar wrote: »
    i think its fair to say that when you buy a bus ticket, you arent reserving yourself a seat, but a place. many people stand for the duration of their trip, and who are you to force hem to stand just so you can put a book on an empty seat.

ffs, put the LAPtop on your LAP, and your bag between your legs, and save yourself a fortune by buying one ticket like a normal human being.

Seats are first come, first serve. If I get two before someone else and I pay for two - how is that unfair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

In your highly hypothetical situation you are getting two tickets at student prices - therefore you are potentially depriving somebody who is paying more for their ticket a place on the bus - hence DB are actually losing money.

Regardless if you or anyone else were to pay full price for taking two seats this increases the risk that DB would need to run extra services to cover. Public transport already runs at a loss without the need for unnecessary additional buses to allow for people who don't like sitting beside others.

Advertisement