Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Iang87 wrote: »
    I just updated my phone but now when i try to connect to my wireless it directs to apple.com to a page that cannot be found and the wifi aint working?? any ideas what this is about??
    Same here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Sister and her B/F are having wifi issues on ip4's...i'm having similar difficulties on a 4s....fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭jamesd

I just updated my phone but now when i try to connect to my wireless it directs to apple.com to a page that cannot be found and the wifi aint working?? any ideas what this is about??
    Happened mine too- restarted and went into safari and it sorted itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

mines back now guess you just have to keep refreshing a few times

this is defiantly a software issue as lots of other people had this :mad:

wouldt be suprised if apple release software thats buggy for there old phones to make people do the upgrade well if they do that they can F-off because ill be upgrading to a galaxy s3:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

So has anyone messed around with maps yet? Is it/will it be a satnav replacement? Been toying with the idea of purchasing tomtoms app for a while after using it by not so legit methods. Did ireland get the turn by turn navigation feature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

RE. The Wifi issue

If it's any help, I went into Settings --> Router Name --> HTTP Proxy on Auto and then just put in a URL like www.google.ie for the proxy.

Seemed to fix the issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

biggebruv wrote: »
    anybodys WIFI not working on there iphone 4???

my wifi connects but then disconnects after i refresh it WTF!!:mad:

Very odd. My iPhone 4 is doing this for the last 15mins. I am running the GM version of IOS6 since last week without any problems. Just plugged my phone into laptop there to charge it and suddenly I am getting this problem.

EDIT: Closed all Apps and turned wifi off/on and all is fine again. WEIRD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    Not surprised it aint on iPhone 4, but they could have put it on iPad 2 (so I can play with it). :-)
    It's not built into the chip. When the iPhone 4S was released and people wondered why siri wasn't brought to the other devices they found out that its chip had special voice recognition hardware built in.
    It would probably still work, and I think it can work by jail breaking, but maybe it wouldn't have worked as well as Apple would have liked so they didn't bother.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME

iv noticed the option turn cellular on/off in settings
    this is new right ?

I cant tell you the ammount of credit iv wasted because I thought my wi-fi was turned back on after getting home

this is to me the best new feature LOL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME

iv noticed the option turn cellular on/off in settings
    this is new right ?

I cant tell you the ammount of credit iv wasted because I thought my wi-fi was turned back on after getting home

this is to me the best new feature LOL

Its always been under general settings on idevices I'm fairly certain. If you don't have a data bundle you should keep it turned off. You won't be able to access the net except on wifi obviously though

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Its always been under general settings on idevices I'm fairly certain. If you don't have a data bundle you should keep it turned off. You won't be able to access the net except on wifi obviously though

Nick

really I must be going mad because I never knew it was there cool

I only ever use the net on wifi anyways

but when going out id turn wifi of to save some battery then when I get home the odd time I would forget to turn wifi back on and receive a txt
    later saying youve spent 5 euro on internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Wifi issue should be resolved now, so try again. In order to test the Wifi connection when it joins iOS tries to connect to a page on apple.com (http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html) which seems to have been temporarily offline.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

but when going out id turn wifi of to save some battery then when I get home the odd time I would forget to turn wifi back on and receive a txt

If you want the net while out & about buy a data addon. On payg with tesco 1gb costs me €7 a month. If you have no interest in mobile data then keep it off :) . Even while out your phone will use mobile data, when the phone detects the wifi disconnection it will automatically go for the mobile connection if activated, regardless of wifi being left on/turned off

Nick

can i ask how are the apps going to work on iphone 4 screens when they design them for iphone5s new bigger screen??

Has apple spoken about this??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Some mapping alternatives to make up for the Google Maps loss for the time being.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/19/missing-all-the-features-of-google-maps-get-them-back-in-ios-6-with-these-third-party-apps/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

can i ask how are the apps going to work on iphone 4 screens when they design them for iphone5s new bigger screen??

Has apple spoken about this??:confused:

Apps will generally be designed for both screen types. How depends on the app, some will use screen scaling to adjust the size of items on the screen, some may need to re-layout the screen. It's up to the app developer to decide what's best.

The reason behind the temporary Wifi outage. I had it myself. Just on my phone though. Details here -

http://m.tuaw.com/2012/09/19/apple-web-page-outage-inadvertantly-disabled-ios-6-device-wifi-n/?post=1&icid=tuaw_home_latest_art

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

anyone noticed an issue with push notifications?

im using a 4S and since my upgrade im getting very little notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

On holidays in Dominican Rep just installed it on me iPad but keeps kicking out when installing on me 4S.

Think it's the wifi here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Tried downloading ios6 OTA on my iphone4, it hung on the 'preparing download' stage for ages,then started to reboot only to start asking to be connected to itunes.
    So i grabbed my laptop, bloody charger is broken, now i have the phone connected to my gf laptop and it says the iphone is in recovery and needs to be restored....grrr. Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,919 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Passbook aint working for ****. 'cannot connect to itunes store'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Can someone please help me.
    I was updating my iPhone 4 and it restarted at the end. now it won't turn back on. Been like this for hours now the Apple logo keeps flashing on and off am able to restart phone and turn it off but when I
    switch back on it does the same thing.

Can someone please help me.
    I was updating my iPhone 4 and it restarted at the end. now it won't turn back on. Been like this for hours now the Apple logo keeps flashing on and off am able to restart phone and turn it off but when I
    switch back on it does the same thing.

Google how to put your iPhone into DFU mode. You'll need to connect to your computer and restore all your files though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Overheal wrote: »
    Passbook aint working for ****. 'cannot connect to itunes store'
    Same here. That usually happens when you try to purchase something from a non-Irish store and it can't redirect you because the equivalent isn't available here. Seems to be the case with this too, for the meantime.

Another gimped "feature" for us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

How does offline reading work? I opened a web page, clicked 'add to reading list', turned on airplane mode and tried viewing the link from my reading list but it says I've no Internet connection. What am I doing wrong? I am able to view web pages offline aren't I?

I'm on an iPod Touch 4G if that makes any difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Given im a IP4 user Im glad I didnt upgrade. Sounds like pants. Not falling into the trap they put iPhone 3G users through with the software update a few years back when all of a sudden your phone ran really slow around the time of the launch of IP4.

Doubt I will update my iPad 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I'm having problems getting ios6 to download. If I try it on the pc it says download error download times out but if I try it over wifi it says download error. Could it be something to do with having my 4s jail broken ? It couldn't be my net ad my iPad 3 updated no problem over the air. Should I restore then update. If I restore will I lose all my photos ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

yoyo wrote: »
    If you want the net while out & about buy a data addon. On payg with tesco 1gb costs me €7 a month. If you have no interest in mobile data then keep it off :) . Even while out your phone will use mobile data, when the phone detects the wifi disconnection it will automatically go for the mobile connection if activated, regardless of wifi being left on/turned off

Nick

Not sure if you guys picked up on my previous post but IOS 6 upgrade is switching mobile data ON even if you previously had the setting to OFF so worth checking before you get hit with a bill.

I've updated two iPhone 4S and its done it to both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

It's always been there. Buy a data bunde and pck up a data usage app so you can measure your sage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

If you're missing streetview pick up Arrive 79c or 4DCalender 2.99 in the App store. Both incorporate the old Maps and have streetview. Pretty decents app in their own right too.

Advertisement