Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 6 Megathread - All iOS 6 discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Anyone else noticing the new apps are lacking quite a bit of detail zoomed in compared to the old ones? I think the 3D is pretty underwhelming as well and with the absence of street view, I'd download google maps instead.

Siri is entertaining for 10 minutes but it's a gimmick here compared to America and other places. Although it does work better than I expected, eventhough the very English UK version doesn't always pick me up properly.

I've noticed that safari is way faster on my iPad 3 though and I hope there are other nice performance enhancements.

Overall I think the update was grand. Nothing major or exciting but it just added a few handy little features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

well, my ipad 2 was updating OTA and it restarted into DFU mode. have to restore and update via itunes (which means downloading ios 6 again)

good job i have an icloud backup.

*edit* 3 hours remaining. jaysus.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

How do I get IOS6?

iTunes should ask you to update if you have a compatible device (make sure its plugged in ;) ).

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

How do I get IOS6?
    On your iPhone/iPad/touch
    Settings -> general -> software update

It'll show up for download.

That's the handiest way to do it instead of using iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eorpach wrote: »
    I thought I would share my initial impressions below, so as to help any undecideds to make an informed decision about whether to be early adopters of iOS6:

As a 4S owner, I consider the unexpected Siri improvements for Irish users by far the single most important enhancements to arrive with iOS6.

As this recent article in SiliconRepublic indicated, Irish users weren't to expected to get many of the key enhancements coming with iOS6, notably Siri and 3D Maps:-

"Added knowledge about sports; local search; restaurant information, reviews and reservations; and information on movies, plus reviews and showtimes – none of this will be available to Irish iPhone 5 owners. They also won't be able to benefit from Siri's integration with Twitter and Facebook, which, in a limited number of countries, allows users to orate a status update."

Happily (for the most part) this isn't true:

Maps:-
    - Dublin City Centre in 3D - check
    - Roadworks icons appear indicating information on roadworks, closed lanes etc.

Siri:- (I use the US English version)
    Q: I need a chinese restaurant near here. A: "I found twelve Chinese restaurants fairly close to you. I've sorted them by rating"
    Q: List the movie theatres near here. A: "I've found fourteen movie theatres..eleven of them are fairly close to you"
    Q: Show me a review for the Movie The Bourne Legacy. A: "The Bourne Legacy has a 55% rating from Rotten Tomatoes".
    Q: Show me the trailer for The Bourne Legacy. A: "Here's yours trailer" (launches and plays automatically)
    Q: Update my Facebook Status. A: "What would you like to say?" (launches Facebook notepad screen.

In fact, Siri is answering anything I throw at her. For example:
    - "Call Gourmet Burger Kitchen". A: "Call Gourmet Burger Kitchen on 14 South William Street in Dublin City?" (this restaurant is not in my Phonebook).
    - "Where am I?". A: "You are near X" (map of my location launches)

One thing it won't give me is the actual times of movies playing locally, but hopefully that's just a matter of plugging Siri into a Cinema listings database and will happen sooner rather than later.

As regards the Map App, teething bugs were to be expected with its rollout, especially given that Apple is playing catchup with Google and that we were one of the last European countries to be properly mapped by GPS companies. That aside though, the new Apple Mapping App functions much more fluidly than the old one (on a 4S at least) and I for one am very pleasantly surprised by Apple quietly inviting us Irish Siri users to join the party!

No way would I be as impressed with the maps as you are.

3d looks nice but is not as useful as Street View.

I used Street View to find shop fronts so I'd know where I'm going. Can't do that anymore.

Flyover is good looking but is gimmicky as it has no detail.

3d in Ireland is only the City centre. O'Connell St looks more like a drawing than real pictures.

Satelite images of rest of island is poor. Business search is inferior and inaccurate.

Completely understand Apple wanting to move from Google but they shouldn't have dropped their maps until their own was perfected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Having an iPhone 4, all iOS 6 seems to have really done is destroy Google Maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

For those who have been using Siri regularly, which setting works best with a Dublin accent? The UK version seems to pick up most of what I say, would the US (or another) version work any better in your experience? I know I could just try them all for a few days each to see how it goes, but why reinvent the wheel if someone else has already worked it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

murpho999 wrote: »

I used Street View to find shop fronts so I'd know where I'm going. Can't do that anymore.

3d in Ireland is only the City centre. O'Connell St looks more like a drawing than real pictures.

Satelite images of rest of island is poor. Business search is inferior and inaccurate.

Completely understand Apple wanting to move from Google but they shouldn't have dropped their maps until their own was perfected.

+1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭june92

I just updated to ios 6 now, I have an Iphone 4, do I get Siri? Can't seem to find it!

Johnmb wrote: »
    For those who have been using Siri regularly, which setting works best with a Dublin accent? The UK version seems to pick up most of what I say, would the US (or another) version work any better in your experience? I know I could just try them all for a few days each to see how it goes, but why reinvent the wheel if someone else has already worked it out :D

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Oz accent is the most similar for Siri. Im not speaking from experience though, don't have Siri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Do Not Disturb is the big one for me. I have my work sim in my iPhone & I just set it to DND for anyone other than family from 5.30pm to 8.00am. That's worth the upgrade.

june92 wrote: »
    I just updated to ios 6 now, I have an Iphone 4, do I get Siri? Can't seem to find it!

Negative.

iPhone 4S
    iPhone 5
    iPad 3

and I think the last iPod Touch and new one announced last week.

No Siri on IP4

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭june92

No Siri on IP4

Ah damn!!! That was the ONLY thing I wanted from this update!!!

Not surprised it aint on iPhone 4, but they could have put it on iPad 2 (so I can play with it). :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭beer enigma

IOS 6 update turned my data roaming on ? ( Updated over wifi) Normally not an issue but I'm in London & specifically had it turned off

Ah damn!!! That was the ONLY thing I wanted from this update!!!

Better things on it.

New App Store.
    Passbook.
    Facebook intergration
    Do Not Disturb
    Improved Safari.

To name just a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

DubDJ wrote: »
    Had a heart stopping moment when I clicked into contacts and had over 800. :O All my Facebook friends added to my contacts. My number available to them all. But I soon realised it's just FB profile links and email. And then clicked on the groups and hid them all. Crisis averted. :D
    jakdublin wrote: »
    If you update Mountain Lion (new update available today) and open the Messages app it'll add your phone number linked to your iCloud account. It's really neat.

Am I the only one who finds these things to be a distrubing invasion of privacy ? Apple nor Google nor Facebook have no right to go connected my various datasets that they have on file like this without asking my express permission. I was really annoyed whern my first Android phone linked my gmail contacts to my phone contacts. Did I want that ? NO
    Did they ask me ? NO

I for one will not be using the FB integration if I do upgrade

PGL wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Google Maps app is due out?

They are in no hurry I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Am I the only one who finds these things to be a distrubing invasion of privacy ? Apple nor Google nor Facebook have no right to go connected my various datasets that they have on file like this without asking my express permission. I was really annoyed whern my first Android phone linked my gmail contacts to my phone contacts. Did I want that ? NO
    Did they ask me ? NO

You don't have to let them have access. They ask first. Personally, my life is dull enough for me not to care about privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Johnmb wrote: »

I have a Dublin accent and have found that American Siri ("US English") understands me near-perfectly. Plus the British Siri is a man, which I'm not too keen on.

• Advertisement

Did they ask me ? NO

They are in no hurry I would imagine

Aren't these all voluntary things?

Really don't think that the likes of Google & FB with their millions of users are looking at my contacts or messages.

I personally don't get too wrapped up by these things

jakdublin wrote: »
    You don't have to let them have access. They ask first. Personally, my life is dull enough for me not to care about privacy.

What exactly do they ask you ?
    Cause the android phone didn't tell me it would do this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

What exactly do they ask you ?
    Cause the android phone didn't tell me it would do this

Well, it asked do I want to connect my contacts with Facebook.

eorpach wrote: »
    I have a Dublin accent and have found that American Siri ("US English") understands me near-perfectly. Plus the British Siri is a man, which I'm not too keen on.

You from D4 ? :P

I didn't say that I was impressed exactly - StreetView is a definite loss - I just said that I was patient and understanding of the fact that Ireland isn't Apple's top priority when it comes to rolling out a highly-detailed own-Map App (in the same way that Ireland wasn't the top priority of the GPS companies when they mapped Europe a few years back). What Apple does have going for it though is that all of the mapping detail is stored in the Cloud, so many of the complaints being raised here tonight can be remedied unilaterally by Apple. And for those users who really need it, there are always other 3rd party solutions.

To those that are interested, there are some cool touches in the Apple Map App that the old App didn't have. For example, type "The Aviva Stadium" into the search and see what happens when you press the blue ">" arrow next to the title.

You from D4 ? :P

Hah. No. Not from Dublin and have never lived in D4. But I lived abroad for quite a bit, so the edge has gone off my accent - probably not quite accurate to have claimed to have a Dublin accent actually :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I just updated my phone but now when i try to connect to my wireless it directs to apple.com to a page that cannot be found and the wifi aint working?? any ideas what this is about??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

anybodys WIFI not working on there iphone 4???

my wifi connects but then disconnects after i refresh it WTF!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I just had exactly the same problem! First the phone went and then the iPad. I tried rebooting both and made no difference.
    I reset the router (unplugged and plugged it in 10 secs later) and all seems fine again! Really strange one that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

biggebruv wrote: »
    anybodys WIFI not working on there iphone 4???

my wifi connects but then disconnects after i refresh it WTF!!:mad:
    Same here. This is a balls

Advertisement