Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swedish house mafia stabbings (Updated Mod Warning Post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Onixx wrote: »
    It wasn't a rave because it's 2012, not 1990. Plus, raves played good music.

maybe to you, purist organic grafter bastard like me insists 'no'.

yesterday was pop. what's popular. What's the norm now, a rank computerized amalgmatin of rap and rave. With 'rockstar' fantasies being fulfilled by employing session musicians that facelessly lend some musical validity albeit itself, by numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Nodin wrote: »
    I didn't make that claim. However in the 1860's when there was imprisonment for a vast range of minor offences, crime was higher than it is now.

Now the ball is in your court to back that claim up with statistics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I dont equate an old man having a line at the local hotspot after his dinner with some scumbag who buys some hooch of unknown origin off some even lower scumbag then shoves it down his throat.

Give me the environment of my sitting room with joints flowing over some banter over sticking toxic subtances down your gullet having a manic episode

I work in a pscyh hospital mate. drug addicts are a pushover to treat over psyhcotic alcoholics

FYP = the difference culturally between something being legal and illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I would agree alcohol is likely to be the causal factor for a lot of the violence that has people saying "They were high as kites Joe." Easier to blame the illegal substance. A heroin/crack/meth/prescription drug (e.g. benzo)/even pot addict and a person who takes an amphetamine/line of coke/smokes a joint now and again are not even comparable - there is a tendency for some to lump all drugs into one homogenous mass, however there are so many variables.

Cocaine mixed with alcohol can cause awful aggression though.

It's disingenuous however to compare an auld fella having a pint in the local to a junkie, as if those are the only two scenarios. Of course former is preferable to the latter.
    But what about: an alcoholic, barely able to function, and a person, perfectly healthy and doing fine for themselves in all aspects of life, who takes one or two E every few months at big events?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

immersive wrote: »
    I've seen this work in Australia amongst other countries. A bar is opened all night. You can buy alcohol all night but the sale of cocktails is stopped at a certain hour, shots for example at another hour. It's just one example. Maybe it wouldn't work but this whole excuse of cheap alcohol and lets close venues even earlier is rubbish.

at a guess , I would say 80% of the alcohol that caused any of the major problem yesterday was bought cheaply in supermarkets - as an ex problem drinker I find the demise of the Irish bar is a bad thing for Irish society , it has simply been replaced by the gluttonous binge drinking of cheap off licence booze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LH Pathe wrote: »
    maybe to you, purist organic grafter bastard like me insists 'no'.

yesterday was pop. what's popular. What's the norm now, a rank computerized amalgmatin of rap and rave. With 'rockstar' fantasies being fulfilled by employing session musicians that facelessly lend some musical validity albeit itself, by numbers

I'm not the only one who didn't manage "Finnegans Wake", I trust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

sink wrote: »
    I have been to many dance music gigs over the years and I've never seen trouble at the majority of them, but they would usually be attended by a maturer audience. There is a subset of dance music that attracts a very young crowd 17-21 and it's usually the current chart toppers. At that age they seem to care less about the music and are more attracted by the alcohol and drug fuelled revelry, with less experience and knowledge of how to handle it.

This is so true. Shm are commercially successfull now. Not to mentioned the production work on other chart music. Will I am s new song is produced by shm. It's the likes of them etc that attract the young 17, 18 year olds. A lot of them will continue drinking into oblivion (the irish way) while more will continue to discover electronic music and educate themselves as they grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I am not talking about the societal effects of recreational drugs. I am talking about their actual effects. If there was no alcohol at that gig yesterday (impossible i know) and everyone was just off their heads then i sincerely believe that we wouldnt be talking about the violence that occurred. Alcohol is the common denominator.

To others speaking about an old man enjoying his pint, thats not what i'm talking about. Alcohol makes the most timid people aggressive. But, as it's legal and taxable, it's consistently ignored.

No, it's not. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but you don't.

I've seen completely sober scumbags beat people within an inch of their lives. I've seen drunk people help others when they fall down.

Alcohol doesn't make timid people violent. It reduces inhibitions. It makes it more likely than violent scumbags will be violent scumbags. Alcohol isn't a common factor. Scumbags are the common factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

df1985 wrote: »
    oh piss off.

I was at the gig last night, yes i was on drugs, the only altercation i had was putting my arms around random people all loved up, and 9am tomorrow ill be back beihind the office desk working 9-5 paying my taxes like everyone else.

Dont tar everyone with the same brush.

On a serious note, I hope the people stabbed ok. and for the folks who overdosed...they only wanted a good time like everyone else. god help their families.

You are an idiot

No, it's not. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sorry, but you don't.

I've seen completely sober scumbags beat people within an inch of their lives. I've seen drunk people help others when they fall down.

Alcohol doesn't make timid people violent. It reduces inhibitions. It makes it more likely than violent scumbags will be violent scumbags. Alcohol isn't a common factor. Scumbags are the common factor.
    Too much alcohol can most definitely make reasonable people rowdy and aggressive though. What that person is saying is: recreational drugs are less likely to do this (with the exception of cocaine I'd think) because they have a "loved up" effect.

• Advertisement

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Now the ball is in your court to back that claim up with statistics.

http://chs.revues.org/index1031.html

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Who are the Swedish house mafia,some sort of swedish Ndubz r something similar along the same rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Onixx wrote: »
    Too much alcohol can most definitely make reasonable people rowdy and aggressive though. What that person is saying is: recreational drugs are less likely to do this (with the exception of cocaine I'd think) because they have a "loved up" effect.
    I still think it depends on the person. I've been legless and not able to complete a sentence before :o but I've never dreamt of fighting people.

Sure, too much alcohol makes it likely I might punch someone but by that time we've gone from "drunk" to "needs medical attention to live".

Alcohol might be a problem but scum who use it as a crutch to get away with their violent accents really weren't drunk imo. I used to know a guy who would drink two bottles of WKD (the little ones) and then pick fights and say they were drun and it wasn't theri fault.

I've also known people who got stoned and picked fights when they didn't drink.

Point being, such artificial degeneracy in 'music' will bring the degenerates with the artificial personalities. And those who deny this / defend it

Yes Xenu, but you have no power over us now.

E is the dangerous designer disco-infiltrating drug the tv shows of the 80s predicted. Became a must-take accompiament for most, to enjoy the 'music' what about the guy who has to collect his dole accompanied by his mother, lurching head-down brain- damaged and de-sensitized by one too many. Senses perma-dulled, unable to feel anythhing whatsoever anymore having got so high - that's the price; artificial buzz to artificial music in artificial environment. Robotic music/Robotic poeple. Don't be a sucker - don't be a hipster. Don't take e; don't attend raves. Nobody says you have to, ignore the hip herd majority and do yores own thing

Is that you Gerry Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

News was on saying it was 'only a small number who went to cause trouble' and mentioned the drunkeness and messing on Navan Road

It was more then small number given the amount of Airmax in attendance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Sappa wrote: »
    Who are the Swedish house mafia,some sort of swedish Ndubz r something similar along the same rubbish?

No. They're kind of a DJ supergroup, three big name DJ's all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Oh, FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sappa wrote: »
    Who are the Swedish house mafia?

I remember lamenting the death of rave music / culture , back in '94 , i think , 20 years later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

:rolleyes: go to a court for a day mate and see how many of these bullsh1t cases are before the court.

stop your nonsense

Look at the YouTube video of those students surrounding the guards in Galway outside supermacs during rag week a few months ago. Stop my nonsense. I'm talking about real zero tolerance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Ireland (and the UK) with its scumbag culture... christ what is wrong with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Same! We were at the gig too and had a fantastic time! A lot of the trouble seemed to happen at the far left of the stage, from what I've heard. We were up the front for Calvin Harris and moved back a bit and we were in an area where people were just dancing and having a laugh, so pushing, shoving, we had space...it was great!

Sad to hear about the injuries and deaths, but honestly I didn't come across any violent behaviour.

Yeah, we were around halfway back in the middle for the first 3 but moved up further to the front for Swedish House Mafia and it was great up there too. It seems most of the people in the centre were fine, but I didn't go to the left or right of the stage at all so maybe it was different over there.

Plenty of sun, beer and craic. Sounds like quite a few had the same good experience as us but obviously others weren't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Shame on you, Nike.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

thebaz wrote: »
    at a guess , I would say 80% of the alcohol that caused any of the major problem yesterday was bought cheaply in supermarkets - as an ex problem drinker I find the demise of the Irish bar is a bad thing for Irish society , it has simply been replaced by the gluttonous binge drinking of cheap off licence booze

I know alcoholics who never drank at home... Always in the pub, I suppose people are different but blaming cheap booze in supermarkets as a source of alcohol problems is not fair. There are many out there who drink themselves into oblivion in licensed premises, whats worse is the barman who is not supposed to serve intoxicated persons? will continue to do so anyways...
    I'm sure the 3 unfortunate people who died yesterday had more than just alcohol in their systems, if even any. Devastating for the family and friends anyway whatever the circumstances.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't think it is unfair to say that certain musical acts very much attract a certain, less savoury type of person. Would this type of incident(s) have happened after an Andrea Bocelli gig?

I still think it depends on the person.
    Oh it does depend on the person most definitely. You've got the aggressive-no-matter-what types but then you've got the reasonable people who turn nuts on drink and are disgusted with themselves next day when they remember/are told what they did.
    News was on saying it was 'only a small number who went to cause trouble' and mentioned the drunkeness and messing on Navan Road
    Maybe a small percentage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I doubt it was E, alcohol is far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I hope MCD struggle to get a licence for an outdoor concert again.

I hope the government introduce new polices to combat this sort of thuggery. Even it means that MCD have to pay for hundreds/thousands of police officers to marshall these events. Even if it means MCD have to install airport style security at the gates.

Also why haven't local politicians been on the news in outrage about the anti-social behavior that went on inside and outside of the concert. Does nobody give a **** in this country anymore... seems like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Nodin wrote: »

Did you bother to look through your link?

It shows crime from 1860 to 1914 was much lower than in the previous 7 years in Ireland.

See Figure 3 (Assault in Ireland, 1863-1914) in the link and these assault statistics from 2004 to 2011:

http://www.cso.ie/Quicktables/GetQuickTables.aspx?FileName=cja01c13.asp&TableName=Attempts+/+threats+to+murder+,+assaults+,+harassments+and+related+offences&StatisticalProduct=DB_CJ

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement